PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 2 May 2010)

Conrad
25-04-2010, 23:09
Quickly create this now, hopefully a good week before drowning sorrows of election week.

Hopwas: Spitting Feathers: Dark Velvet (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2219-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-2-May-2010%29&p=12295#post12295)
ROBCamra: Nethergate Mary's Ruby Mild (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2219-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-2-May-2010%29&p=12445#post12445)
Wittenden: Adnam's Broadside (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2219-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-2-May-2010%29&p=12450#post12450)
Millay: Great Orme Merlyn (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2219-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-2-May-2010%29&p=12463#post12463)
aleandhearty: George's Dragon (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2219-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-2-May-2010%29&p=12468#post12468)
HTM69: Jennings Cumberland Ale (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2219-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-2-May-2010%29&p=12477#post12477)
Oggwyn Trench: Colwyn Cloggwyns Gold (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2219-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-2-May-2010%29&p=12484#post12484)
RogerB: Kelham Island Pale Rider (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2219-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-2-May-2010%29&p=12493#post12493)
Evil Gazebo: Iceni Honey Stout (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2219-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-2-May-2010%29&p=12494#post12494)
Pubsignman: Okell's Alt (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2219-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-2-May-2010%29&p=12575#post12575)
Bucking Fastard: Ape Ale from Blue Monkey Brewery (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2219-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-2-May-2010%29&p=12577#post12577)

ROBCamra
26-04-2010, 08:26
Quickly create this now, hopefully a good week before drowning sorrows of election week.

Look on the bright side. The Baum has Mallinsons Ballot Box & Three B's Ballot Box coming soon. So at least the breweries are brewing some new beers for it. :drinkup:

Oggwyn Trench
26-04-2010, 17:55
Should be a better week this week , Chester, Friday and Saturday for the Wifes birthday then Telford beer festival at the Crown , Oakengates (60 beers , 35 handpulls) on Sunday , got a free day on Wednesday so may go to Shrewsbury or maybe Ludlow for a wander then again i may just stay local

gillhalfpint
27-04-2010, 09:57
We will be in Devizes on Thursday for a couple of nights on our way to Cornwall but haven't researched what is there yet. Hoping to find some pub fests in Cornwall so it won't be all Sharps, Skinners and StAustell. Have a few favourite pubs for variety though.

aleandhearty
27-04-2010, 10:22
Hoping to find some pub fests in Cornwall so it won't be all Sharps, Skinners and StAustell.

Good luck. Couldn't believe how far the Cornish triumvirate had the county stitched up. On our holiday last year I was looking forward to beers from Blackawton, Wooden Hand etc. Apart from one solitary pint of Keltek 'Magik' (sic) every beer was from the (un)holy trinity. Reminded me of the 'Masham mafia' in North Yorkshire.

Oggwyn Trench
28-04-2010, 09:14
Mixed start to the week , the worst pint of Guiness ever then a couple of fantastic pints of White Rose Gecko Garbo and a decent Osset Dazzler followed by a pint of 41 South (cant remember the brewery , its from Yorkshire i think ) which was cracking , all these pale into insignificance compared to the offer in the Willeymoor Lock ignore the 6 well kept local real ales and have a pint of Greene King IPA Smooth with a little sticker on the glass so you can have the second pint for £1 only , didnt see anyone take it up wonder why !!

ROBCamra
28-04-2010, 14:35
Decent start to the drinking week last night with two pints of Millstone Edge from Millstone brewery, a pint of Green Mill Gold, a pint of Cottage Ex-Mayor and finishing off with two pints of Cottage Mosquito.

All good beers but I have a feeling that none of the above will win this week. :cheers:

hopwas
29-04-2010, 09:05
Should be a better week this week , Chester, Friday and Saturday for the Wifes birthday

I was in Chester on Mon, Tues and Wed. The Brewery Tap in City Centre is quite spectacular with high ceilings and medieval building. No sight of fizzy pop (ie Carling, Calsberg etc) in sight. Full range of Spitting Feathers. Go and buy Dark Velvet. You will be pleasantly surprised.

BTW my BOTW goes to..

Spitting Feathers: Dark Velvet.

Oggwyn Trench
29-04-2010, 19:18
I was in Chester on Mon, Tues and Wed. The Brewery Tap in City Centre is quite spectacular with high ceilings and medieval building. No sight of fizzy pop (ie Carling, Calsberg etc) in sight. Full range of Spitting Feathers. Go and buy Dark Velvet. You will be pleasantly surprised.

BTW my BOTW goes to..

Spitting Feathers: Dark Velvet.

Its on my list of pubs to visit , used to deliver there when it was an Italian resturant a few years ago . Been to Chester a few times but not for a few years so looking forward to revisiting some old favorites and finding some new ones if i can drag the Mrs out of the Falcon , dont mind a couple in there but she would stay all day if i let her

Oggwyn Trench
02-05-2010, 15:43
Well it was a pretty good weekend , if a bit wet , beers tried in Chester
Everards Tiger
Becks Vier x2
Sam Smiths OBB x8 (Couldnt shift Mrs from the Falcon on Saturday night)
Anglo Dutch Asperus(i think)
Colwyn Cloggwyns Gold
Okells Olde Skipper
Okells Bitter
Newmans Red Stag
Stonhouse Station Bitter
Weetwood Cheshire Cat
Pied Bull Pie Eyed
Black Sheep Bitter
Spitting Feathers Old Wavtonian
Warickshire Duck Soup
Okells Olde Skipper and Colwyn Cloggwyns Gold are favorites so far

aleandhearty
02-05-2010, 16:15
Becks Vier x2

:eek: Eh? What gives Oggy? Doesn't sound like you. Was it to wash down a curry?

Oggwyn Trench
02-05-2010, 16:49
:eek: Eh? What gives Oggy? Doesn't sound like you. Was it to wash down a curry?

Pub next to the hotel was a Brewers Fayre so no real ale on , Mrs insisted on going in while waiting for the bus into town and then having a nightcap on the way back .
Funny thing was on Saturday morning we went to the pub for breakfast (Premier Inn all you can eat) so as i was tucking into my 4 rashers bacon , 2 sausages , 2 fried eggs , mushrooms , beans , 3 slices toast and a double choclate muffin plus 3 cups of tea , there was a Weight Watchers class going on in full view of us

ROBCamra
02-05-2010, 18:23
Decent start to the drinking week last night with two pints of Millstone Edge from Millstone brewery, a pint of Green Mill Gold, a pint of Cottage Ex-Mayor and finishing off with two pints of Cottage Mosquito.

All good beers but I have a feeling that none of the above will win this week. :cheers:

I was right, none of the above won.

I think that as it's mild month that this weeks BOTW will be Nethergate Mary's Ruby Mild.

Tried at The Regal Moon in Rochdale on Saturday night. :cheers:

Wittenden
02-05-2010, 21:56
Close run between Adnam's Broadside and Wolf Golden Jackal. As it was raining the nod goes to Broadside.

Millay
03-05-2010, 02:39
One of my regular pubs was having a festival in the beer garden over the weekend and despite the weather on Sunday they were still gamely serving and had set up a series of large umbrellas from the pub to the marquee.

They had some good beers on like Titanic English Glory, Dark Star Festival and the potent Wem Cherry Bomb. But my favourite, and my BotW, was the Great Orme Merlyn, a well balanced malty beer very tasty and very drinkable.

aleandhearty
03-05-2010, 08:20
i was tucking into my 4 rashers bacon , 2 sausages , 2 fried eggs , mushrooms , beans , 3 slices toast and a double choclate muffin plus 3 cups of tea

Wot? No black pudding? :D Hells bells. I could drink all day with that lot lining my stomach!

aleandhearty
03-05-2010, 08:30
Very little to choose from this week- a couple of pints of indifferent Landlord, a pint of Rudgate 'Ruby Mild' served too cold, versus a half decent Northumberland 'George's Dragon'. No contest. It's the GD.

hopwas
03-05-2010, 11:10
there was a Weight Watchers class going on in full view of us

Haha! Same thing happened to me in The Oaklands, Hoole (Chester).. went in to have hearty dinner with my sister. I sat down with lovely pint of Spitting feathers Special Ale and waited for my food. 20 mins later my food has come, it was BBQ chicken melt with bacon wrap with hand cooked chips followed by large portion of Chocolate Sponge served with Chocolate sauce..

All in view right front of Weight Watchers class. Couple of women keep glancing of my food!

HTM69
03-05-2010, 11:11
Quite a beer fuelled 7 days last week: 22 pints over a 4-day period. Next week will hopefully be a little calmer!

Guinness x 4
Masterbrew x 1
Early Bird x 3
Sharp’s Doom Bar x 3
Spitfire x 2
London Pride x 1
Courage Directors Bitter x 2
Jennings Cumberland Ale x 2
Young’s London Gold x 2
Timothy Taylor’s Landlord x 2
London Pride (Bottle x 1)

BOTW: Jennings Cumberland Ale

Oggwyn Trench
03-05-2010, 11:32
Wot? No black pudding? :D Hells bells. I could drink all day with that lot lining my stomach!

Some kidneys would have been nice as well , needed a good breakfast to keep me going for heavy mornings shopping , i think there are more shoe shops in Chester than pubs , what is it with woman and shoes !! followed by a long liquid lunch.....

Oggwyn Trench
03-05-2010, 11:35
Haha! Same thing happened to me in The Oaklands, Hoole (Chester).. went in to have hearty dinner with my sister. I sat down with lovely pint of Spitting feathers Special Ale and waited for my food. 20 mins later my food has come, it was BBQ chicken melt with bacon wrap with hand cooked chips followed by large portion of Chocolate Sponge served with Chocolate sauce..

All in view right front of Weight Watchers class. Couple of women keep glancing of my food!

I see they have done the Oaklands up , last time i went in was about 7 years ago , no decent beer , a bit of a dump and very dodgy atmosphere , felt like it could kick off at any moment

Oggwyn Trench
03-05-2010, 11:39
BOTW this week is Colwyn Cloggwyns Gold a bit different from the other beers tried this week and theres something about the name , cant quite put me finger on it :whistle:

hopwas
03-05-2010, 11:43
I see they have done the Oaklands up , last time i went in was about 7 years ago , no decent beer , a bit of a dump and very dodgy atmosphere , felt like it could kick off at any moment

They have 3 guest ales and excellent food. Oak panelled everywhere and wooden floors. It's facade is dull light greyish and countryside like pub. Only problem was Gents which was boiling hot with no air containing. My hotel was only few mins walk (Bawn Lodge on Hoole Rd)

Oggwyn Trench
03-05-2010, 11:59
They have 3 guest ales and excellent food. Oak panelled everywhere and wooden floors. It's facade is dull light greyish and countryside like pub. Only problem was Gents which was boiling hot with no air containing. My hotel was only few mins walk (Bawn Lodge on Hoole Rd)

We looked at staying at the Bawn Lodge , but apparently the public bar can get a bit rowdy at weekends as its a popular stop off for stag and hen parties on the way into town , though i hear they serve real ale

RogerB
03-05-2010, 13:25
Easy one for me this week - Kelham Island Pale Rider at the Doric Arch!

Evil Gazebo
03-05-2010, 14:16
This week’s winner was always likely to emerge from the Reading Beer Festival, and so it proved. From my hazy memory (as someone stole my programme - you know who you are, Father McGuire:p)…

Brewdog The Physics
Durham Ruby
Iceni Honey Stout
Otley Dark-O
Steel City 51st State

BOTW goes to Iceni Honey Stout.

Easy one for me this week - Kelham Island Pale Rider at the Doric Arch!

Alas, the Pale Rider had already run out by the time I went looking for it.

hopwas
03-05-2010, 15:33
We looked at staying at the Bawn Lodge , but apparently the public bar can get a bit rowdy at weekends as its a popular stop off for stag and hen parties on the way into town , though i hear they serve real ale

:confused:

Erm.. You say it is popular stop for Hen/Stag stop off. Given size of Bawn Lodge bar, I don't think they can accommodate large numbers of Hen/Stag parties unless they can survive freezing weather outside :D

Oggwyn Trench
03-05-2010, 18:52
:confused:

Erm.. You say it is popular stop for Hen/Stag stop off. Given size of Bawn Lodge bar, I don't think they can accommodate large numbers of Hen/Stag parties unless they can survive freezing weather outside :D

One of the lads from work stayed up the road at the Dene on a stag do and said they stopped there a few times on the way in to town along with another group of lads they met , he raved about the cocktails , then again he is a lager drinker and it was July

Wittenden
03-05-2010, 20:45
[QUOTE=aleandhearty;12468]Very little to choose from this week- a couple of pints of indifferent Landlord, a pint of Rudgate 'Ruby Mild' served too cold,

Why do they insist on serving a good real ale so damn cold: we were in thr Grange at Boreham in Essex on Saturday-beers were good and as they should be, but too cold. Fine when they'd warmed up a bit, but it wasn't as if we were in the middle of a heat wave!

aleandhearty
04-05-2010, 12:19
Why do they insist on serving a good real ale so damn cold:

I know. Absolutely drives me nuts. I've been building up to a thread on this for a while. Basically, I think drinkers need to become a little more pro-active, but I'll explain in the thread.

Pubsignman
05-05-2010, 14:13
Sorry. Bit of a late contribution this week, but my BOTW goes to Okell's Alt, as sampled at the JDW festival. Not only BOTW but a strong contender for beer of the year. I thought it was sublime and I seem to remember someone else on here championing it recently...now I know why.

Aside from that, not a great week. I spent the Bank Holiday weekend in and around Bury St Edmunds, so lots of Greene King rubbish (although I don't mind their St Edmund's Ale). The only other potential contender was Vale Brewery Best Bitter, which went down very well on the sunny Saturday.

Bucking Fastard
05-05-2010, 14:34
Even later contribution from me,but just got back to the keyboard after boating from Loughborough via Long Eaton and Nottingham to Newark.Knocked off a lot of virgin pubs with reviews and photos and BOTW has to be Ape Ale from the Blue Monkey Brewery.Described on the pump clip as a strong ale ,5.4% pale complex and most definately quaffable this was pure joy and on sale at the Newshouse ,Nottingham an excellent pub.Blue Monkey have been winning some SIBA awards recently .

Tides willing next stop Gainsborough and then Keadby or possibly Thorne by the weekend.

Andy Ven
06-05-2010, 16:56
We will be in Devizes on Thursday for a couple of nights on our way to Cornwall but haven't researched what is there yet. Hoping to find some pub fests in Cornwall so it won't be all Sharps, Skinners and StAustell. Have a few favourite pubs for variety though.

Gill,

have you visited Devizes yet? I meant to mention the Wadworth brewery.

6X :drinkup: