PDA

View Full Version : Shut up about Barclay Perkins - Branded Old Ale and Strong Ale in 1953

Blog Tracker
21-11-2015, 07:38
Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site (http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2015/11/branded-old-ale-and-strong-ale-in-1953.html)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XH-DDzhpAls/VktCuNWGxxI/AAAAAAAAYr0/L6iBe0mKAAI/s400/Wenlock_Fireside_Ale_1950.jpg (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XH-DDzhpAls/VktCuNWGxxI/AAAAAAAAYr0/L6iBe0mKAAI/s1600/Wenlock_Fireside_Ale_1950.jpg)
It’s been a while. And, yes, I had forgotten. At least, temporarily. Not to worry, I’ve remembered now.

Though I can’t recall what the point of the series was, other than conjuring up multiple posts from table. Then again, doesn’t that pretty much sum up my blog?

This is quite a long set. I can think of a couple of good reasons why. Strong beers were more likely to be named because they were higher profile beers. And they were very often bottled. At a time when pump clips weren’t universal and keg still rare, the branding opportunities at point of sale were much smaller for draught beers. Amongst draught beers I think it’s no coincidence that many of the first ones to be heavily branded were in keg form. You had those brightly-lit bartop boxes to splash a name across.

Unsurprisingly, the adjective “Old” features heavily in names. Though, ironically enough, not in any described as Old Ale. How odd.

How many of these beers survive? I think only Robinson’s Old Tom. Though a revival of Colne Spring Ale is on the cards. And Tally Ho! Is still around, but brewed by someone else, Adnams. Mind you, Adnams have been using the name since the 1880’s.

I love some of the names. Oh be Joyful in particular. Also the echo of Arctic Ale. And Lees enigmatic “C”. Though to be fair that wasn’t a their own brand, C Ales be9ing brewed by several breweries around Manchester. Before you ask, I’ve no idea of where the name came from. Unlike October Brew which is doubtless a reference to the old practice of brewing strong keeping beers in either March or October. Though for conjouring up the cosy image of a strong beer on a cold, dark winter’s evening, it’s hard to beat Fireside.

Branded Old Ale and Strong Ale in 1953

Brewery
Beer
Type

Benskin's
Colne Spring Ale
Old

Broadway Brewery
Broadway
Old

Brickwood
Little Bricky
Old Ale, bottled

Samuel Webster
Coronation
Old Brown, very strong

Flowers Breweries
Dragon's Blood
Old English Ale

East Anglian Breweries
Old Nell
Strong

Samuel Webster
Old Tom
Strong

Wm. Younger
King of Ales
Strong

Barclay, Perkins
Winter Brew
Strong Ale

Brampton Brewery
Golden Bud
Strong Ale

Dutton's
Oh Be Joyful
Strong Ale

Campbell Praed
Pride
Strong Ale

Courage
Double Courage
Strong Ale

Drybrough
Burns
Strong Ale

Frederick Robinson
Old Tom
Strong Ale

Fredk. Robinson
Young Tom
Strong Ale

Gardner
Kentish Fire
Strong Ale

Guernsey Brewery
Double Pony
Strong Ale

H. & G. Simonds
Old Berkshire
Strong Ale

Ind Coope & Allsopp
Arctic
Strong Ale

J. & J. Morison
J & J
Strong Ale

J. C. & H. R. Palmer
Tally-Ho!
Strong Ale

J. W. Lees
C
Strong Ale

John Rowell
John Barleycorn
Strong Ale

Massey's
King's Ale
Strong Ale

Morrell's Brewery
College Ale
Strong Ale

Richard Whitaker
Bantam
Strong Ale

Timothy Taylor
Blue Label
Strong Ale

Ushers Wiltshire Brewery
Triple Crown
Strong Ale

Wenlock Brewery
Fireside
Strong Ale

Norman & Pring
Imperial
Strong Ale, bottle and draught

Cornbrook Brewery
Cornbrook Old Tom
Strong Ale, bottled

Daniel Thwaites
Big Ben
Strong Ale, bottled

Greene King
Stingo
Strong Ale, bottled

Truswell's Brewery
October Brew
Strong Ale, bottled

Daniel Thwaites
Old Ben
Strong Ale, draught

Truswelt's Brewery
Imperial
Strong Ale, draught

Hope & Anchor
Old English
Strong Beer

Lamb Brewery
Stingo
Strong beer

Higson's Brewery
Stingo
Strong beer, bottled

Lamb Brewery
Rouser
Strong Bitter

Ridley
Stock
Strong Brown Ale

Ridley
Xmas
Strong Brown Ale

Source:

Brewery Manual 1953-1954, pages 382 - 394.

Stouts next. Maybe.

More... (http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2015/11/branded-old-ale-and-strong-ale-in-1953.html)