PDA

View Full Version : Shut up about Barclay Perkins - Who was branding their beers in 1954? (part one)

Blog Tracker
29-10-2015, 07:07
Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site (http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2015/10/who-was-branding-their-beers-in-1954.html)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iOhF8YXgwcc/Vi9J9IFWXeI/AAAAAAAAYjQ/AkoMyS6yHEs/s400/Flowers_Dragons_Blood.jpg (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iOhF8YXgwcc/Vi9J9IFWXeI/AAAAAAAAYjQ/AkoMyS6yHEs/s1600/Flowers_Dragons_Blood.jpg)
I’ve been thinking more about branding. When did it really start? When did it become popular? What was its purpose?

I can identify two types of branding. The first is generic. Toby is a good example. A brand applied not to a specific beer, but to a whole range. This seems to have been the most common type early doors. It’s still around today, for example Hyde’s Anvil Ales.

Branding individual beers, by giving them their own name, is the second type. Beers used to have generic names. Though these weren’t always the same inside and outside the brewery gates. X Ale/Mild is a good example. As is PA/Bitter or KK/Burton. Or be named by place of origin: London Porter, Edinburgh Ale, Dublin Porter.

Did I mention that I collect the details from 19th-century price lists? My spreadsheet has about 4,500 beers extracted from them. The first named beer in the set is “Velvet” brewed in 1856 by Bircham & Sons of Reepham, Norfolk. But between then and 1890, I’ve very few examples. This is the full set:

Early branded beers

Year
Brewery
Town
Beer

Bircham & Sons
Reepham, Norfolk
Velvet

Mew Langton
Newport, IOW
No. 1 Royal Osborne Ale (as supplied to her majesty)

Mew Langton
Newport, IOW
Guinea Pale Ale

Lewis & Ridley
Leamington
Gem Sparkling Dinner Ale

Watkins & Son's
Hereford
Golden Sunlight Ale

Watkins & Son's
Hereford
Sunflower India Pale Ale

Nottigham Brewery
Nottingham
Golden Ray Ale

Cook Brothers
Colchester
Jubilee Pale Ale

Wm. Whitmarsh & Co.
Sheffield
Hallamshire Export quality

Lucas, Blackwell & Arkwright
Leamington
Gem Light Sparkling Dinner Ale

Daniell & Sons
Colchester
John Bull Bitter Ale

Hull Brewery
Hull
Champagne Bitter

Major Lucas & Co
Northampton
VA Victoria Ale

William Stones
Sheffield
Samson Extra Strong

William Stones
Sheffield
Sparkling Light Bitter Beer

Ash & Co
London
Light Tonic Dinner Ale

Ash & Co
London
Canterbury Ale

Ash & Co
London
Gold Medal Ale

Waltham Bros.
London
The Half Guinea Ale

Mew Langton
Newport, IOW
O.P.A. Osborne Pale Ale (as supplied to Her Majesty's Household)

Brook's Cubley Brook Brwry
Sheffield
Wearncliffe Extra Strong Mild

Benskins
Watford
Primrose Ale

Walker & Homfray
Salford
Comet Ale

Barclay Perkins
London
Red Label Stout

Richard Clarke
Stockport
BB Crystal PAle Ale

Hull Brewery
Hull
Anchor Ale

Benskins
Watford
Jubilee Ale

Benskins
Watford
Colne Spring Ale

Hammerton
London
V.C. Ale

Sources:

Various brewery price lists

What’s interesting - or perhaps rather, totally predictable – is that naming beers seems to start taking off around the same time as bottled beer, in the 1890’s. And indeed the majority of the beers in the table above were bottled. At a time when pump-clips didn’t exist, branding a draught beer wasn’t easy. Whereas with bottles, you had a colourful label to tempt drinkers.

Flipping forward to the fifties, let’s see who was a branding fan.

Leading the pack by quite a distance is Flowers, with 16 branded beers. Not much of a shock, as I know Bernard Dixon, the man in charge at Flowers, was a big fan of naming beers. Here’s the set:

Flowers branded beers in 1954

Brewery
Beer
Type

Flower & Sons
Green Label
Bottled

Flower & Sons
Original Bitter
Draught

Flower & Sons
Shakespeare Ale
Bottled Beer

Flowers Breweries
Anchor
Brown Ale

Flowers Breweries
Brewmaster
Bottled

Flowers Breweries
Little Imp
Bottled

Flowers Breweries
Sable
Bottled

Flowers Breweries
Green Ribbon
Bottled

Flowers Breweries
Kelly's Eye
Bottled

Flowers Breweries
Luton
Light Ale

Flowers Breweries
Lutorian
Bottled

Flowers Breweries
Old Gold
Bottled

Flowers Breweries
Poacher
Bottled

Flowers Breweries
Stingo
Bottled

Flowers Breweries
Dragon's Blood
Old English Ale

Flowers Breweries
Ravensburg
Bottled

Source:

Brewery Manual 1953-1954, pages 382 - 394.

Not sure why they haven’t identified Poacher as the Brown Ale it was. Nor Sable as a Stout. Stingo, obviously, was a Strong Ale. And I’m pretty sure Lutorian should be Lutonian.

Fascinating that some are branded Flower & Sons and others Flowers Breweries. The former are beers from the original Flowers brewery in Stratford-upon-Avon, the latter from J.W. Green in Luton. Flower & Sons, despite being relatively modest in size, had built up a good reputation for some of their beers well outside their core area. Original Bitter, in particular, made inroads outside their tied estate. Doubtless the strong branding of Flowers was why the J.W. Green name was ditched, despite being the senior partner in the new firm.

More branding to come.

More... (http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2015/10/who-was-branding-their-beers-in-1954.html)