PDA

View Full Version : Helpful Landlords

RogerB
23-04-2010, 12:42
Now this is what I call a Landlord going the extra mile. Tomorrow is a big bucket and spade trip to Bognor for Dartford FC and the supporters are arranging to gather prior to the match at his pub, the Waverley. If only all landlords had the attitude of this chap. I hope his tills are overflowing by the end of the day.

http://www.dartfordfootballclub.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7591.0.html

Evil Gazebo
23-04-2010, 12:49
I have spoken to the local police, and I believe they may well come down at around 2pm to walk you all up to the ground, as you do have to cross one very busy road, which they will temporarily close for you.

Just how much beer is expected to be drunk? It must be a lot if police assistance is going to be required to cross a road.

oldboots
23-04-2010, 15:53
Just how much beer is expected to be drunk? It must be lot

Yes of course it will be a lot, Roger's going to be there:D

Mind you a day on Youngs ordinarie and Bombardier? Still the landlord does seem a good sort of bloke.

Maldenman
23-04-2010, 19:44
Absolutely outstanding! Don't get too used to it Rog, as you move into the conference the world tends to change, to a more league mentality both at grounds and around.

RogerB
24-04-2010, 07:17
Yes of course it will be a lot, Roger's going to be there:D

Unfirtunately, I won't be there. I have tickets to see the Enid tonight at the Union Chapel in Islington and it would be pushing it to get back in time.

Oggwyn Trench
24-04-2010, 07:50
Absolutely outstanding! Don't get too used to it Rog, as you move into the conference the world tends to change, to a more league mentality both at grounds and around.

Dont know if they still do it , but on a few visits to Kidderminster any pubs near the ground (including the one on The Severn Valley Railway) were closed for a couple of hours before kick off and for an hour after full time

Farway
24-04-2010, 14:42
Dont know if they still do it , but on a few visits to Kidderminster any pubs near the ground (including the one on The Severn Valley Railway) were closed for a couple of hours before kick off and for an hour after full time

I think this may be "normal" for a lot of footie matches, down to some who just can not, or will not, have a quite pint without getting into a punch up with rival team supporters

Maldenman
24-04-2010, 21:11
Oggwyn, as an Alty supporter I know Kiddy well. We always used to set up in there without any bother at all. Decent fans tend to use decent pubs.

Oggwyn Trench
24-04-2010, 21:16
Oggwyn, as an Alty supporter I know Kiddy well. We always used to set up in there without any bother at all. Decent fans tend to use decent pubs.

Maybe it was because we would take quite a big following 700 + as its only just down the road from Shrewsbury , on one occasion we chartered a steam train on the severn valley railway from Bridgenorth for an away day with a difference

RogerB
25-04-2010, 08:50
Sounds like it all went well apart from a few souvenir plant pots that found their way back onto one of the coaches afterwards!:whistle:

They don't appear to be in any particular order but there a few pics of the pub session here. Hopefully with his freshly bulging till the guvnor can buy a pot of paint and sort out the peeling exterior paintwork!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eagle88/sets/72157623801727961/

aleandhearty
26-04-2010, 10:46
If only all landlords had the attitude of this chap. I hope his tills are overflowing by the end of the day.

Yep. Good luck to him.

My example is very different. In the late seventies and early eighties a group of us used to virtually live in the York Street Hotel in Wakefield. The landlord and landlady really took us under their wing and were al;most like surrogate parents. One night my mate had somehow managed to pick a girl up in the pub and had gone outside, to the rear of the pub, to take things a little further. Unfortunately, he'd had so much beer he was very unsteady on his feet. Somehow, the landlady got to hear of it and instead of blowing a gasket quietly took out a bar stool, thus enabling bodily fluids to be exchanged!

Now that's what I call service. :D

Conrad
26-04-2010, 11:19
You certainly wouldn't want any more service :o