PDA

View Full Version : Area Notifications?

ETA
14-10-2015, 20:40
One for Dave really, but how feasible would it be to create an area-based change notifcation - for instance when a new pub is generated in a given town or region?

The idea is that users could 'follow' a town (or whatever data field would relate to an area in the same way we can follow a pub, so any change (closure, opening, review, name change etc) would be notifed.

Would anyone find that useful, or maybe it would need too much work to code, or maybe the data model wouldn't support it.

Just a thought.

Dave M
14-10-2015, 21:37
There is an option for following an entire area when you are in a 'town' or 'area' page, some sort of follow button on the right hand side.

Have to admit I'm not sure what it notifies on, I think it is probably new photos, open/close reports and area changes but really can't remember - it is not something I've ever looked at the code for.

sheffield hatter
14-10-2015, 21:49
There is an option for following an entire area when you are in a 'town' or 'area' page, some sort of follow button on the right hand side.

Have to admit I'm not sure what it notifies on, I think it is probably new photos, open/close reports and area changes but really can't remember - it is not something I've ever looked at the code for.

I "follow" Sheffield (as you might expect) and get notified of all those, plus any new reviews, and even changes to reviews. Even those I have just submitted myself!

ROBCamra
14-10-2015, 21:51
If you follow an area you get informed of openings/closing and new/edited reviews & photos on any pub in that area. :cheers:

bcfczuluarmy
15-10-2015, 19:27
What does need incorporating into the notifications is the name changes, especially as some happen behind the scenes....

ETA
16-10-2015, 07:33
Thansk for that - I hadn't noticed that button before.

Blackthorn
16-10-2015, 07:53
What does need incorporating into the notifications is the name changes, especially as some happen behind the scenes....

Agreed, and new pubs (as opposed to existing pubs re-opening) would be very useful.