PDA

View Full Version : St albans

london calling
19-06-2015, 22:12
Only 4 weeks to our next meet up.Who is going?

Mobyduck
19-06-2015, 22:41

Me. :drinkup:

rpadam
20-06-2015, 11:56
Me, but I'll probably get there late and will have to catch up!

Quinno
20-06-2015, 12:12
I've booked the day off so should make it!

Maldenman
20-06-2015, 15:21
I've not yet started to get into negotiations for the lottery that is leave at our place. Worst case is I should be able to get the afternoon but a full day is not guaranteed. When I joined this place we had 12 plus a technician, we now have six.

london calling
20-06-2015, 21:40

And Steve?

Bucking Fastard
20-06-2015, 21:46
I'll be there.

Mobyduck
20-06-2015, 21:54
And Steve?

He will, although he has the powers to post on here he spends to much time in the pub and becomes forgetful. :drinkup: :nishelypished: :confused:

Real Ale Ray
21-06-2015, 22:46

Count me in for this one!

trainman
22-06-2015, 12:45
Snorbans is slightly old hat for me after several visits in recent years, but I'm 70% in.
Just to make the rest of you appear sober (-ish), you understand.
Working morning though so not there til >13:00. Was the start finalised? Wouldn't want to miss the Mermaid, or check what range the Blacksmiths has on...

sheffield hatter
22-06-2015, 14:19
Working morning though so not there til >13:00. Was the start finalised? Wouldn't want to miss the Mermaid, or check what range the Blacksmiths has on...

My proposal (see http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?20648-PuG-Summer-meet-St-Albans-Friday-17th-July-2015 - #9) was to leave the Mermaid until last, as it's quite easy to find the station from there - though I'm sure you'll do your best to prove me wrong on that point, Jim.

trainman
23-06-2015, 12:41
though I'm sure you'll do your best to prove me wrong on that point, Jim.
Hmm, well since I usually start here, I'll probably end up turning left and heading back up to Blacksmiths!
But thanks for the confidence Will!

aleandhearty
23-06-2015, 12:51
Sorry, passing on this one, I'm afraid.

Gann
24-06-2015, 15:47
Also working AM but will endeavour to get train and bus to get there as close to mid day as I can..

Mobyduck
24-06-2015, 21:58
Those Confirmed as going (or likely, to go) so far on this thread are -
London Calling
Moby Duck
rpadam
Quinno
Maldenman (Doubtful)
Bucking Fastard
Big Steve
Real Ale Ray (and Fiona ?)
trainman
Sheffield Hatter
Gann
Blackthorn & Mrs B
AEM

Mobyduck
11-07-2015, 07:07
London Calling
Moby Duck
rpadam
Quinno
Maldenman
Bucking Fastard
Big Steve
trainman
Sheffield Hatter
Gann

We await more replies.

Anyone else ?

Blackthorn
12-07-2015, 11:46
Myself and Mrs B will be there.

Rex_Rattus
12-07-2015, 11:55
Looks like other commitments mean I shall have to miss this one.

Maldenman
12-07-2015, 12:55
Looks like other commitments mean I shall have to miss this one.

I'm struggling to get the time off too as I was already booked off on the Weds/Thursday for my daughter's graduation.

Quinno
12-07-2015, 15:37
I'll be arriving 11.39. Do we have an agreed start-point (Spoons, presumably??)

Bucking Fastard
12-07-2015, 17:51
I'll be arriving 11.39. Do we have an agreed start-point (Spoons, presumably??)

There are multiple threads on the crawl,but my understanding is that early birds can meet in the spoons Waterend Barn , (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56897/)while the firm meeting place is The Boot (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14813/) at noon,then follow Will's route from there.

I will grab something to line the stomach in the 'spoons around 11.15

Mobyduck
12-07-2015, 20:37
London Calling
Moby Duck
rpadam
Quinno
Maldenman ( now doubtful)
Bucking Fastard
Big Steve
trainman
Sheffield Hatter
Gann
Blackthorn and Mrs B
We await more replies.
Dave M and Tammy?
Roger Button?
Old Boots?
How about you Aqualung ?Not too far from home.
Pubsignman?

london calling
12-07-2015, 21:42
That looks like a fine line up of people and pubs.My train arrives at 11.00 so I will try to force some food down and be at McSpoons at 11.30.cheers

Aqualung
12-07-2015, 21:58

Thanks for the offer, but to be honest I don't feel St Albans is worthy of a whole day out. I know for a fact I've been to some of the pubs before, definitely the Garibaldi, Farriers, Lower Red Lion and Mermaid (wasn't this an Everard's pub once?). I won't dwell on the prices but I'm pretty sure you'll need a whole load of money. I'm out chasing Spoon's festival ciders on Thursday and won't be out Friday as I'm going to Liverpool on Saturday.

Mobyduck
12-07-2015, 23:21
I'm out chasing Spoon's festival ciders on Thursday and won't be out Friday as I'm going to Liverpool on Saturday.
Fair play.

oldboots
13-07-2015, 08:35
Dave M and Tammy?
Roger Button?
Old Boots?
Pubsignman?

Not on this occasion, have fun.

Mobyduck
13-07-2015, 11:17
Not on this occasion, have fun.

Will do.

Pubsignman
13-07-2015, 11:19
Dave M and Tammy?
Roger Button?
Old Boots?
Pubsignman?

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to get the time off work for this one. Hope you all have a great time and I look forward to reading the write-ups. St Albans is still on my 'to-do' list so your 'research' will be much appreciated! :cheers:

sheffield hatter
13-07-2015, 15:00
There are multiple threads on the crawl,but my understanding is that early birds can meet in the spoons Waterend Barn , (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56897/)while the firm meeting place is The Boot (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14813/) at noon,then follow Will's route (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?20648-PuG-Summer-meet-St-Albans-Friday-17th-July-2015) [#9] from there.

Approximate timings added to my previous post:

Meet at Wetherspoon - Waterend Barn pre-meridian

Boot [wild card: Kings Arms ] 12:00

Peahen [wild card: White Hart] 12:45

White Hart Tap [wild card: Beehive] 13:30

Garibaldi [wild card: White Lion] 14:10

Hare & Hounds [wild card: Goat] 14:50

Fighting Cocks 15:40

Six Bells [wild card: Rose & Crown] 16:20

Lower Red Lion [wild card: Verulum Arms] 17:00

Farriers Arms [off piste: Craft & Cleaver ] 17:40

Blacksmiths [wild card: Cock] 18:20

Mermaid 19:00

london calling
13-07-2015, 19:35
Thanks for the offer, but to be honest I don't feel St Albans is worthy of a whole day out. I know for a fact I've been to some of the pubs before, definitely the Garibaldi, Farriers, Lower Red Lion and Mermaid (wasn't this an Everard's pub once?). I won't dwell on the prices but I'm pretty sure you'll need a whole load of money. I'm out chasing Spoon's festival ciders on Thursday and won't be out Friday as I'm going to Liverpool on Saturday.

Its a social meet up as well as a pub ticking expedition.Only 2 of the possible 21 pubs are new to me but if I get a few new beers I will be happy.Tried the White Hart Taps own beer on Saturday.Found it tough to finish the pint.

Aqualung
13-07-2015, 21:50
Its a social meet up as well as a pub ticking expedition.Only 2 of the possible 21 pubs are new to me but if I get a few new beers I will be happy.Tried the White Hart Taps own beer on Saturday.Found it tough to finish the pint.

I realise that but I've got train tickets for Liverpool on Saturday while the footbore is off season and the train leaves just after 08:00. In addition I'm hoping to find some more Spoons festival ciders on Thursday and if that doesn't give me a hangover then the quest has failed. The other point is the cost, I hope at least some of the reviews mention the prices as my recollection is that St Albans is really expensive, especially that Fuller's pub out in the sticks to the West.
I hope you all enjoy it and it doesn't cost too much!

Gann
14-07-2015, 12:38
I'm going to struggle to arrive before 1.30PM but that's not too much of a problem for me as I frquented the Boot many moons ago and have no compunction to revisit the Peahen.
But I do want to do the White Hart Taps, especially after John has evangelised about their beer, so hopefully see you in there..

london calling
14-07-2015, 19:54
I realise that but I've got train tickets for Liverpool on Saturday while the footbore is off season and the train leaves just after 08:00. In addition I'm hoping to find some more Spoons festival ciders on Thursday and if that doesn't give me a hangover then the quest has failed. The other point is the cost, I hope at least some of the reviews mention the prices as my recollection is that St Albans is really expensive, especially that Fuller's pub out in the sticks to the West.
I hope you all enjoy it and it doesn't cost too much!

Okay sounds like you will have a good time.The fing is its only £8.50 return to St Albans for Londoners so add the cost of the beer and its not that expensive.Wheres the next crawl will be up norf ,with cheap beer but will cost an arm and a leg to get there.I am sure when I have been round St Albans recently it was consistently about £3.80 a pint and seems to be a cartel on the beer prices.Will let you know soon as.

Mobyduck
14-07-2015, 20:02
Okay sounds like you will have a good time.The fing is its only £8.50 return to St Albans for Londoners so add the cost of the beer and its not that expensive.Wheres the next crawl will be up norf ,with cheap beer but will cost an arm and a leg to get there.I am sure when I have been round St Albans recently it was consistently about £3.80 a pint and seems to be a cartel on the beer prices.Will let you know soon as.
£3.80 is pretty much standard prices in the S.E now, excepting Spoons of course.

Mobyduck
14-07-2015, 20:05
Dave M and Tammy?
Roger Button?
Old Boots?
Pubsignman?

Also AEM ? ETA? Bcfczuluarmy? Anyone else ?

an_ecumenical_matter
14-07-2015, 21:10
The bad news. Yes I'll be there !!!!

Aqualung
14-07-2015, 21:30
£3.80 is pretty much standard prices in the S.E now, excepting Spoons of course.

And micropubs as well as many others. There is and always has been a Cartel. Years ago someone I knew who worked at a McMullen's pub used to get sent out to check the prices in nearby pubs.
The licenced trade is a racket, always has been and always will be. If it wasn't for the honourable exceptions I wouldn't bother going to a pub at all.
Even CAMRA festivals are in on it. They seem to think it's OK to charge to get in, charge for a glass and then charge the same prices as local pubs (notably never the nearest JDW).

Mobyduck
14-07-2015, 21:35
The bad news. Yes I'll be there !!!!

Excellent.

bcfczuluarmy
14-07-2015, 21:39

Sadly mates 40th weekend in Isle of Wight so no can do. Got Slough with work the following week for a couple of evenings. 8 pubs in Slough Central seems a poor show.

Anyway hope a good day is had by all attending and Blackthorn slow down on the picture taking.....

Mobyduck
14-07-2015, 21:41
London Calling
Moby Duck
rpadam
Quinno
Maldenman (Doubtful)
Bucking Fastard
Big Steve
trainman
Sheffield Hatter
Gann
Blackthorn & Mrs B
AEM

Current attendee's as far as I am aware.

Aqualung
14-07-2015, 21:59

It would be zero for me as I would bus it from New Barnet. £8.50 sounds steep to me considering I can get to Wolverhampton, an area where the beer prices are very reasonable for £4.95 each way!

Dave M
16-07-2015, 20:56
Sorry I'm not going to be able to make this one. Hope you all have a great day in the field. Looking forward to seeing the reports.

Blackthorn
16-07-2015, 21:25
Just looking at the itinerary for tomorrow as I will be joining you part way through. Hopefully I'll be there long before 15:40, but The Fighting Cocks doesn't seem to be listed??

ETA
16-07-2015, 21:31
I'm afraid I won't be able to join you either, but I shall be with you in spirit (I shall be enduring a formal lunch tomorrow (works do)), so while you're on your 8th pint, I'll be well and truly into my second bottle of port.

All the very best for a great day out, and I look forward to reading the reviews and forum posts.

Blackthorn
16-07-2015, 21:36
Just looking at the itinerary for tomorrow as I will be joining you part way through. Hopefully I'll be there long before 15:40, but The Fighting Cocks doesn't seem to be listed??

Forget that, got it now. It's at the end of the list, Ye Olde Fighting Cocks!

Mobyduck
16-07-2015, 21:36

Post #29 , Fighting Cocks 15:40 (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?20923-St-albans/page3), too many threads for this trip.

rpadam
16-07-2015, 22:52
Post #29 , Fighting Cocks 15:40 (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?20923-St-albans/page3), too many threads for this trip.
I'm arriving late too, so will aim to catch up at Ye Olde Fighting Cocks (or possibly the Goat before that, if anybody is going off-piste there instead of the Hare & Hounds).

Mobyduck
16-07-2015, 23:57
I'm arriving late too, so will aim to catch up at Ye Olde Fighting Cocks (or possibly the Goat before that, if anybody is going off-piste there instead of the Hare & Hounds).

Its possible I and Big Steve may be running an hour later than expected, if thats the case should meet up in one of the White Harts.

an_ecumenical_matter
17-07-2015, 00:04
Sorry I'm not going to be able to make this one. Hope you all have a great day in the field. Looking forward to seeing the reports.
If your reason for not attending is financial I’ll be going 0830 ex BTM. It would cost you £6 to London and back and then £14.80 Paddington to St Albans (inc tube). PM me on faceache before 0730 in the morning if this makes you change your mind.

Mobyduck
17-07-2015, 06:58
Its possible I and Big Steve may be running an hour later than expected, if thats the case should meet up in one of the White Harts.

No longer running late so will certainly be in the Boot ,possibly the Spoons.

Wittenden
17-07-2015, 08:04
Have a great day:might finally join you some time!

Mobyduck
17-07-2015, 08:07
Have a great day:might finally join you some time!

Would be good to meet you sometime.

Mobyduck
17-07-2015, 23:54
Just got back through the front door, a great day out in the field, 16 good pubs, cheers all.

Maldenman
18-07-2015, 11:56
If anyone can fill me in with what happened between The Mermaid and waking up on the settee at 5am this morning it would be appreciated.

Quinno
18-07-2015, 13:14
If anyone can fill me in with what happened between The Mermaid and waking up on the settee at 5am this morning it would be appreciated.

Ha ha , didn't think you were that bad! I went out in London with Mrs Quinno for some grub afterwards, I was surprisingly straight.

Maldenman
18-07-2015, 13:46
Ha ha , didn't think you were that bad! I went out in London with Mrs Quinno for some grub afterwards, I was surprisingly straight.

I remember Jim taking a tumble and my old mate turning up out of the blue then things get fuzzy. I took the catching up a bit seriously and was necking various 5%ers at a rapid rate. I unwisely appear to have had half a bottle of red on getting home too.

sheffield hatter
18-07-2015, 22:30
Attendance list:

Bucking Fastard
Real Ale Ray & Fiona
Moby Duck
Steve the Crawl
Trainman
Quinno
London Calling
An Ecumenical Matter
Gann
RP Adam
Blackthorn & Mrs
Malden man
...and me.

sheffield hatter
18-07-2015, 22:49
Some group photos, with apologies that Malden Man and RP Adam didn't make it to the park bench in time to take advantage of the kind person who we scared off the bench but who nevertheless agreed to take the photo; and to London Calling who is missing from the photos taken in The Six Bells (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14872/); oh, and to Trainman, who is slightly out of focus - sorry Jim.

Quinno
18-07-2015, 23:16
Some group photos, with apologies that Malden Man and RP Adam didn't make it to the park bench in time to take advantage of the kind person who we scared off the bench but who nevertheless agreed to take the photo; and to London Calling who is missing from the photos taken in The Six Bells (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14872/); oh, and to Trainman, who is slightly out of focus - sorry Jim.

Is Jym falling off his stool again in the third pic?

Mobyduck
19-07-2015, 09:22
Who's turn to get the Ice Creams?

The Big Match.

Mobyduck
19-07-2015, 09:31
A few more photos,

Gann
19-07-2015, 10:39
Many thanks for the photo's everybody. Pictorial rememberances of a very good afternoon..
Although it may have been one of the more expensive PuG meet ups for beer prices (as I recall celebrations were in order whenever we achieve a half at under £2) , I think for the ones I have been on it qualifies as the one with the best weather, the most scenic traverse from one pub to another (despite AEM's dodgy smart phone google maps interpretation of a footpath to Ye Olde Fighting Cocks), and without trying to sound sexist but firmly in the tradition camp that a jovial barmaid who is good on the eye adds to a Gentlemans drinking pleasure, the trip with the best Barmaid count with the young lass in the Goat heading the pack..

Fortunately my trip home was made considerable easier with my good lady driving out to SA to lead me to Zizzi's for a bite to eat. I'm not sure I qualified as scintilating company but I did really appreciate not having to suffer death by snail transport, or the 84A bus from St Albans to Potters Bar as it is otherwise known.

ROBCamra
19-07-2015, 20:12
as I recall celebrations were in order whenever we achieve a half at under £2.

On the Northern splinter PuG crawl around Wakefield, it was my round in the Kings Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56807/) in Horbury.

It's a Marston's pub so all 3 of us had a pint of Marston's New World Pale which was in very good nick.

Six pounds please said the barmaid.

£2 a half my arse, come up north my friends. :evilgrin:

oldboots
19-07-2015, 20:17
On the Northern splinter PuG crawl around Wakefield, it was my round in the Kings Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56807/) in Horbury.

It's a Marston's pub so all 3 of us had a pint of Marston's New World Pale which was in very good nick.

Six pounds please said the barmaid.

Did we pay more than £2.90 a pint anywhere?

london calling
19-07-2015, 22:12
Many thanks for the photo's everybody. Pictorial rememberances of a very good afternoon..
Although it may have been one of the more expensive PuG meet ups for beer prices (as I recall celebrations were in order whenever we achieve a half at under £2) , I think for the ones I have been on it qualifies as the one with the best weather, the most scenic traverse from one pub to another (despite AEM's dodgy smart phone google maps interpretation of a footpath to Ye Olde Fighting Cocks), and without trying to sound sexist but firmly in the tradition camp that a jovial barmaid who is good on the eye adds to a Gentlemans drinking pleasure, the trip with the best Barmaid count with the young lass in the Goat heading the pack..

Fortunately my trip home was made considerable easier with my good lady driving out to SA to lead me to Zizzi's for a bite to eat. I'm not sure I qualified as scintilating company but I did really appreciate not having to suffer death by snail transport, or the 84A bus from St Albans to Potters Bar as it is otherwise known.
My original plan was to keep us around town but that was a lovely walk through the park and 2 good pubs the Fighting cocks and the Six bells.Memorable day indeed.cheers

sheffield hatter
19-07-2015, 22:52

Can't argue with that, though I did enjoy my day out "dahn sarf". I had 16 halves in the course of the day and the average cost was £1.84/half. Two of the pubs I went in charged me £2.10 for a half (Great Northern and Fighting Cocks, since you ask). Cheapest were the Blacksmiths Arms (£3.15 for two halves) and the Hare & Hounds (£1.55 for a half). Also at the cheaper end of the spectrum were the Six Bells and White Hart Tap at £1.75, but putting my Northern hat back on, those now seem downright extortionate!

bcfczuluarmy
19-07-2015, 23:31
The Big Match.

I hope that pub has had bar billiards marked as a yes...

Aqualung
20-07-2015, 00:33

I couldn't agree more but would include the West Midlands and other Midland Counties!
In the Liverpool Lime Kiln JDW on Saturday the beer prices from the menu were as follows :-

Ruddles Best £1.25
Guest Beers From £1.45 (most were £1.65)
Broadside £1.60
London Pride & Dore Bore £1.75
Abbot a colossal £1.90

It's a Lloyds so all hell is unleashed at 21:00 and it's a dull building but I had three superbly kept different Locale Peerless beers all at £1.65 apart from the one that came with a Tuna Mayo baguette. The food prices are average but obviously the cheap free drink makes then effectively more expensive!

Mobyduck
20-07-2015, 06:53
I hope that pub has had bar billiards marked as a yes...

It has. The Goat. (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14836/)

Real Ale Ray
20-07-2015, 14:23

Real Ale Ray
20-07-2015, 14:31
Lord John in the White Hart Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14885/)

Real Ale Ray
20-07-2015, 16:04
Really enjoyed the day, great banter and good fun as per usual. As mentioned by Gann, this crawl was one of the most scenic crawls with some decent picturesque pubs visited on the day. Cheers to Just a quick pint and London calling, for sending us to Royal Oak, in Borough, the Rake and the Sheaf near Borough Market, on Saturday.

london calling
20-07-2015, 23:30
Lord John in the White Hart Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14885/)

Okay the beer was about £4 a pint but look at the seating.

trainman
21-07-2015, 12:11
Cheers to Just a quick pint and London calling, for sending us to Royal Oak, in Borough, the Rake and the Sheaf near Borough Market, on Saturday.
I popped in Rake on Sat! Dunno why - I still don't geddit!

Quinno
26-08-2015, 20:40
Somewhat belatedly...