PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else see Ed in 'The Publican' Last Week?

rpadam
12-04-2010, 18:46
Good publicity for Kilverts, but can't find a link to the Q&A article though...

Conrad
13-04-2010, 11:47
Is it Pubs gear up for Cask Ale Week (http://www.thepublican.com/story.asp?sectioncode=7&storycode=66642)? Or another article?

hopwas
13-04-2010, 13:23
Is it Pubs gear up for Cask Ale Week (http://www.thepublican.com/story.asp?sectioncode=7&storycode=66642)? Or another article?

Kilverts in Hereford?

I thought it is Hay-On-Wye..

Conrad
13-04-2010, 13:33
Hay-on-Wye isn't a postal town :whistle:

hopwas
13-04-2010, 13:35
Hay-on-Wye isn't a postal town :whistle:

I see.. even through Hay On Wye and Hereford are about 25 miles apart! Hay On Wye is in Wales while Hereford is in England.. :whistle::D:p

Oh any news about Coleshill?... :whistle:

Conrad
13-04-2010, 13:57
Oh any news about Coleshill?... :whistle:
Still not a Postal Town, you either need to harass Royal Mail or come up with a system that everyone takes on and is fully documented.

rpadam
13-04-2010, 22:56
Got a mention in there too, but it was a separate Q&A feature that hasn't appeared on The Publican's website...

Conrad
14-04-2010, 10:59
Good stuff, well done to Ed for getting the coverage!

Eddie86
14-04-2010, 15:39
Hello all - had to get rid of a chef which has led to me living a 14-16 hr day in the kitchen! Been getting quite a bit of coverage in the Publican, which is always nice. Just found out we're part of the prize in the Guardian's Hay Festival competition, we weren't told, just found out when a friend saw it and told me :D (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/competition/2010/apr/09/hay-festival-competition)

Conrad
14-04-2010, 15:52
One of my embarrassing TV vices is Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. You mentioning getting rid of a chef for some reason just brings to mind images of a rotting walk in freezer and a lot of F'ing and Blinding to get someone to walk. I should add I am sure this is not the case, but it is just the way my indoctrinated mind now works.

Wittenden
14-04-2010, 17:57
Hello all - had to get rid of a chef which has led to me living a 14-16 hr day in the kitchen! Been getting quite a bit of coverage in the Publican, which is always nice. Just found out we're part of the prize in the Guardian's Hay Festival competition, we weren't told, just found out when a friend saw it and told me :D (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/competition/2010/apr/09/hay-festival-competition)

I suppose its a compliment, but wouldn't it be nice if the suits actually spoke to you!We're not all bumpkins out in the sticks.

Eddie86
14-04-2010, 19:19
One of my embarrassing TV vices is Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. You mentioning getting rid of a chef for some reason just brings to mind images of a rotting walk in freezer and a lot of F'ing and Blinding to get someone to walk. I should add I am sure this is not the case, but it is just the way my indoctrinated mind now works.

:D No Comment

I suppose its a compliment, but wouldn't it be nice if the suits actually spoke to you!We're not all bumpkins out in the sticks.

I'll :drinkup:to that! Just a 'by the way' kind of thing

Evil Gazebo
14-04-2010, 19:26
Just found out we're part of the prize in the Guardian's Hay Festival competition, we weren't told, just found out when a friend saw it and told me :D (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/competition/2010/apr/09/hay-festival-competition)

Can they do that? Just “throw in” a weekend at a hotel without bothering to inform you? I mean, you might have a strong ideological opposition to the Hay Festival - or even The Grauniad! - it seems a huge liberty just to involve you like that.

Soup Dragon
14-04-2010, 19:46
now Ed's a celeb - i can say, he nearly poured me a pint once - if the Guardian want to buy the story

rpadam
14-04-2010, 20:37
Just found out we're part of the prize in the Guardian's Hay Festival competition, we weren't told, just found out when a friend saw it and told me :D (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/competition/2010/apr/09/hay-festival-competition)
My competition entry is in!

Eddie86
14-04-2010, 23:45
Can they do that? Just “throw in” a weekend at a hotel without bothering to inform you? I mean, you might have a strong ideological opposition to the Hay Festival - or even The Grauniad! - it seems a huge liberty just to involve you like that.

The room's been booked to a person's name, not just 'the guardian' so there's not much we could have done. It's nice that they think of us though. As for the guardian, it has it's uses. Firelighting, mainly...

Eddie86
14-04-2010, 23:47
now Ed's a celeb - i can say, he nearly poured me a pint once - if the Guardian want to buy the story

It's amazing what happens when you spam out the slightest story to the local rag and trade paper - gets the name noticed. I think when the brewery is up and running I'll have to have a separate bar as the tap for it :D

Conrad
19-04-2010, 11:29
Just to point out Ed has a new blog post (http://studentbrewer.blogspot.com/2010/04/bit-hectic.html). Explains a bit of how busy it is.

Just to follow up on my vice comment earlier in the thread and tie it with that blog post. One of the more interesting patterns in the Kitchen Nightmares show that always impressed me is Ramsey's insistence on simplifying the menu. He is always very insistent that to keep things under control you should have a menu that is at most a page, and preferably very local. It is one of those things that was a bit of a revelation for me watching it, and it is certainly true that when I go out somewhere to eat I only really want a menu that long with my concentration span.

Anyway, hope things smooth out soon Ed!

aleandhearty
19-04-2010, 12:56
...you should have a menu that is at most a page, and preferably very local.

Just read Ed's blog and really felt for him. You can probably get away with working like that in your twenties, but not ten, twenty years down the line.

Agree with the comment about the menu, forty mains sounds nuts. If they are all freshly prepared the logistics of buying, storing and prepping must be a nightmare.

A pub close to me, The Castle in Sandal, had a TEN page menu last time I called. I should imagine the kitchen hears more pings than a submarine sonar room. I think people are bound to be suspicious when menus are unfeasibly long. Even before Gordon Ramsay, a single page menu suggested a chef doing his thing rather than preparing industrial stodge.

Conrad
19-04-2010, 13:04
...Even before Gordon Ramsay, a single page menu suggested a chef doing his thing rather than preparing industrial stodge.
Interestingly though I had never thought about it, it was watching the show that made me think about it. I find it really interesting stuff, would hate to do it myself though, I'm the sort of person who would wonder what they had forgotten only to discover it is the food :eek:.

Eddie86
19-04-2010, 13:32
Firstly thanks for reading it!

I should have made it clearer about the menu - that 40 includes jackets, pizzas, baguettes, but is mainly meat that comes in from the butcher vacuum packed and gets grilled to order. We get deliveries every couple of days so freshness isn't a problem. Of the other items, Pies and Puddings have to be made in large batches - we can easily get through 50 portions of pie in a day over summer, so over the quieter winter times we make them up and freeze them down. Everything comes down to the taste test - for example our burgers are home-made with just mince, onion, herbs and seasoning - nothing else. We found purely by accident that cooking one from frozen actually has a better texture than fresh as it binds together better.

The knack was getting 3 or 4 dishes out of each ingredient, so cod fillets could be battered with chips, grilled with herb butter on salad, used in fish pie or breaded into real fish fingers for the children's menu.

With 4 or 5 people in the kitchen, the menu wouldn't be a hassle to serve - one person works fryers, one the grill, one the hob and one plates up. 1 person trying to do it failed miserably!

I'm going to get agency staff in for a little while, but with in-house training I don't need an excellent hotel chef - I need a cook who can organise the kitchen.

I promise the next blog will be more cheerful though!

Conrad
19-04-2010, 13:43
You are just overcomplicating it, there is nothing that can't be deep fried :whistle:

edit: Also I now just have a massive urge for a burger :moremad:

Eddie86
19-04-2010, 13:49
You are just overcomplicating it, there is nothing that can't be deep fried :whistle:

edit: Also I now just have a massive urge for a burger :moremad:

One of Al Murray's books has a theme running through it of how to know if your local is a pub, wine bar or gastro. His menu suggestion was along the lines of:

Pie chips and peas
Pie chips and beans
Chips pie and peas
Peas pie and chips
Pie pie and chips
Chips chips and chips...

Conrad
26-04-2010, 18:10
Just in case anyone is not following it yet, another blog from Ed (http://studentbrewer.blogspot.com/).

Sounds like he needs a few nights on the other side of the counter. Hopefully it will all settle soon as I am looking forward to the misadventures of brewing.