PDA

View Full Version : Pubs around Wimbledon (Near AFC Wimbledon's ground)

hopwas
12-04-2010, 09:32
I am thinking of going to AFC Wimbledon on 20th April so can you recommended pubs with 10 mins walking around AFC Wimbledon's ground?

Many thanks!

Hoppy

RogerB
12-04-2010, 10:08
I was there Saturday for the Kingstonian v Darts game. I'm afraid there isn't much left of the goal nets but the pitch party may have helped to flatten any divots. :whistle:

There aren't many pubs around the ground. The closest is the Peel, a music pub with "exotic" entertainment at lunchtimes if you feel that way inclined. There are 3 pubs on Fairfield (Cricketers, Albion and Fairfield Tavern) which is about 10 min walk from the ground - the Fairfield Tavern is the pick of them. There is also the Bricklayers but I wasn't too impressed the last time I went in there.

The best bet is instead of getting off at Norbiton (the nearest station) go to Kingston itself which is an attractive and historic town and about 20 minutes walk from the ground. There is a modern Youngs pub on the river (Bishop Out Of Residence) as well as a Sam Smiths pub (the Gazebo - no hand pumps though) if it's a nice day, 2 half decent Greene King pubs near the Market Place (the Ram & The Druids Head) that both do guest beers and any number of chain pubs/bars. The Willoughby is the best pub in town which is doable but it's not that convenient for the football. Oh, and there is a Wetherspoons (Kings Tun) near the station but you're probably not inetrested in that one. The bar at the ground is quite large and they sell a pretty decent (if short) pint of Hogsback T.E.A.!

hopwas
12-04-2010, 10:16
I should have mentioned that I will be travelling on Official Supporters coach and its on midweek game.

Thanks for the pubs you have mentioned. I havent been to "London" football game since I went to Fisher Athletic Vs Tamworth (crowd was about 100!) in early 2000's

RogerB
12-04-2010, 10:19
I should have mentioned that I will be travelling on Official Supporters coach and its on midweek game.

Club bar it is then!

Maldenman
12-04-2010, 10:47
You would need to arrive probably a good hour before kick off to take time to visit the better pubs in Norbiton/North Kingston. Roger has The Willoughby, nearby is The Wych Elm (Fullers),and The Park Tavern. The Willoughby is a good 10 minutes away from Kingsmeadow and that's me knowing the short cuts.

Edit, The Cocoanut (Fullers) is a little nearer and is pretty reliable. Still a good walk though.

hopwas
12-04-2010, 10:57
The Willoughby is a good 10 minutes away from Kingsmeadow and that's me knowing the short cuts

Google Streetview is my best friend.. :p:D

Ta for recommendations, fella.

RogerB
12-04-2010, 12:25
I hadn't realised the Willoughby was that near - I've only ever been there from the other direction. You'd need a map to find it through the backstreets but its worth doing if you get a chance.

hopwas
12-04-2010, 12:32
I hadn't realised the Willoughby was that near - I've only ever been there from the other direction. You'd need a map to find it through the backstreets but its worth doing if you get a chance.

I mapgoogled the Willoughby and it seems bit too far for me walk from fottball ground. However The Bricklayers looks decent pub so I am considering go there for quick couple of pints (I wouldn't bother with bad decors or choice of ales as long lovely stuff down my throat)

I couldn't find Fairfield tavern on Google map. Can you give me its postcode if possible.

Ta!

RogerB
12-04-2010, 12:43
I couldn't find Fairfield tavern on Google map. Can you give me its postcode if possible.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35940/

hopwas
12-04-2010, 12:53
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35940/

Ah! I tried to type in Fairfield Tavern in pubsgalore but no success!

Many thanks for that