PDA

View Full Version : Wakefield missing pubs....

frank50001
11-04-2010, 18:46
I have recently being going through my records of pubs visited in the past in Wakefield West Yorkshire, and I came across three pubs that I can not seem to find any location for, they are the, Jailhouse, C.J's Cafe Bar & Zynk. If anyone out there knows were or what they are now it would be much appreciated.

Maldenman
11-04-2010, 19:33
Your best bet mate would be to go on the main site and use the add pubs facility. If they are genuine and open they will quickly be added.

oldboots
11-04-2010, 19:46
I have recently being going through my records of pubs visited in the past in Wakefield West Yorkshire, and I came across three pubs that I can not seem to find any location for, they are the, Jailhouse, C.J's Cafe Bar & Zynk. If anyone out there knows were or what they are now it would be much appreciated.

Ale & Hearty is the resident expert on Wakefield, although these places sound like yer typical transientory "yoof bar" establishments that rise from nowhere and return to nowhere with alarming speed. The fleshpots of Castleford or debauched Barnsley are probably full of them :eek:.

trainman
11-04-2010, 22:21
I came across three pubs that I can not seem to find any location for, they are the, Jailhouse, C.J's Cafe Bar & Zynk.

The names alone suggest that location-seeking would be a pointless exercise.

Conrad
11-04-2010, 23:02
Hi frank 50001,

Welcome to the Pubs Galore Forum, I am one of the admins, feel free to ask me any questions if you have any problems or suggestions about the site, we are always happy to hear them.

Had a quick look, Zynk still appears to be referenced on Google (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=zynk+wakefield&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=zynk&hnear=wakefield&cid=15890495203865279527). Streetview doesn't help though, and without a full postcode it is hard to see whether we have a different listing for it.

How long ago would you have visited them?

Hopefully someone will help.

ape_arrody
12-04-2010, 06:58
Theres an unverified listing of zynk cafe bar at
Northgate WF1 3AP
I dont think its there anymore.

hopwas
12-04-2010, 08:17

Hi!

Have you tried Google streetview? It will help you with 3 pubs you have mentioned.

Conrad
12-04-2010, 11:55
Not if they aren't there anymore!

hopwas
12-04-2010, 11:56
Not if they aren't there anymore!

You never know.. :whistle:

frank50001
12-04-2010, 19:00
ZYNK was about 2002,,,,,,CJ'S Was about 1996, Not too sure about Jailhouse Probably about 2000. Hope this helps..

aleandhearty
15-04-2010, 09:36

Ale & Hearty is the resident expert on Wakefield, although these places sound like yer typical transientory "yoof bar" establishments that rise from nowhere and return to nowhere with alarming speed.

ZYNK was about 2002,,,,,,CJ'S Was about 1996, Not too sure about Jailhouse Probably about 2000. Hope this helps..

'frank' I have lived in Wakefield most of my life, but have no definite recollection of these places at all. The only one which sounded vaguely familiar was 'Zynk', which may or may not still be a going concern on Northgate, as others have highlighted. As 'oldboots' states these are the sort of venues that have a name change every few months and lets face it there are dozens of them in Wakefield. Even ten years ago I was a BOF, twenty years too old to go in them, even if I wanted to! As an unapologetic traditional pub hound, I didn't.

When Yates' on Little Westgate folded it had a brief spell as PJ's Cafe Bar and I wondered if you'd got the name slightly wrong. However, the timescale turned out to be wrong anyway. For some reason I have a hunch that The Jailhouse was on Market Street, just off Westgate. If I'm correct it was in the large building about 150 yards down from what is currently the Reflex bar. Howver, there's a good chance I'm wrong.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

frank50001
15-04-2010, 17:11
Hello aleandhearty, You are certainly right about name changes in Wakefield, nearly half of the pubs i visited are now renamed, I visited the Jailhouse in 1995 if that helps any. I seem to remember a cafe bar opposite Wakefield Westgate station, which is now a hairdressers, not sure if this was C.J's. I noted that C.J's served real ale which was unusual for a Cafe style bar. The one thing i Know about Zynk is that it was somewhere between the bus station & Westgate train station. Thanks....Frank..