PDA

View Full Version : Summer 2015 PuG crawl ?

Bucking Fastard
19-04-2015, 17:43
York sounded a great sucess (sadly missed by me) so thought it worthwhile to kick of the discussion about the next one.

Having a poll is always a good idea but just to get the ball rolling how about a Friday in July in Derby ?????

Mobyduck
19-04-2015, 18:04
York sounded a great sucess (sadly missed by me) so thought it worthwhile to kick of the discussion about the next one.

Having a poll is always a good idea but just to get the ball rolling how about a Friday in July in Derby ?????
Sounds good but lets get a couple of alternatives with a poll.

oldboots
19-04-2015, 18:28

It probably ought to be further south, Oxford was mentioned, or perhaps somewhere near the southern end of the East Coast mainline?

Tris39
19-04-2015, 18:50
Oxford in mid-July would be good as the university's holidays would have started, affording a space in the pubs.

Quinno
19-04-2015, 19:00
Oxford or Derby are fine by me. I know Oxford relatively well :D

Mobyduck
19-04-2015, 19:14
Oxford good for me, I have mentioned in the the past, Brighton's begging to be done , but maybe to far south.

Maldenman
19-04-2015, 19:34
Only done the last two so not sure if done/considered already, but Cambridge? Otherwise, Lincoln, St Albans.

ETA
19-04-2015, 20:13
What about Southampton or Bournemouth? Too far South?

sheffield hatter
19-04-2015, 20:16
Only done the last two so not sure if done/considered already, but Cambridge? Otherwise, Lincoln, St Albans.

Cambridge has poor rail connections from the north, Lincoln ditto from the south. St Albans is on the East Midlands line (albeit not intercity trains - you have to change at Bedford or Luton Airport Parkway) and so is not too bad from the north.

Quinno
19-04-2015, 21:53
What about Southampton or Bournemouth? Too far South?

Bournemouth?!?! Is it April 1st? ;)

ROBCamra
19-04-2015, 22:30
Rugby, Bristol, York were the last 3 so aren't we due a Midlands one next?

Quinno
20-04-2015, 10:12

Yes. I think Oxford probably counts as South! So how about simply getting the next two sorted now:

Derby (Midlands) next then Oxford (South) after.

Sorted!

Now we just need to set dates.

trainman
20-04-2015, 12:37
Has this turned into 3 or more PGCs per annum?
You'll be running out of significant (and achievable) destinations at this rate...

sheffield hatter
21-04-2015, 00:05

A quick look at this thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?16155-A-brief-history-of-PuG-crawls) shows the following (I have tried to filter out the smaller crawls, such as Norwich and Carshalton in 2012, leaving only the larger events):

12/11/10 Birmingham M
11/11/11 Nottingham M (or N?)
2/03/12 Liverpool N
22/03/13 Leicester M
13/07/13 Reading S
22/11/13 Leeds N
21/03/14 Worcester S (or M?)
13/06/14 Rugby M
14/11/14 Bristol S (or W?):evilgrin:
27/03/15 York N

We seem to have done three per year only since 2013, so we're still setting precedents, with nothing ressembling a rigid schedule. Looking at this list, we've done more Midlands than anything else, which is fair enough I suppose. To some extent, our perceptions of whether a city is N, S or M is determined by which part of the country we live in. Nottingham seems like the Midlands to me, but to someone from Sussex it's pretty far North. As I mentioned in a previous thread, sticking rigidly to a M-S-N schedule would mean always going to the same stretch of country at the same time of year, so a bit of flexibility would be desirable, I suggest.

If we're going for June or July we need to set a date pretty soon or we'll miss the advance train fares. Can someone set up a poll with Oxford, Derby, Cambridge, Lincoln, St Albans (I've left out Bournemouth, Southampton and Brighton for the sake of brevity/clarity and because my northern-based compadres will shoot me down in flames otherwise). Have I missed any of the (sensible) suggestions?

Mobyduck
21-04-2015, 06:29
A quick look at this thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?16155-A-brief-history-of-PuG-crawls) shows the following (I have tried to filter out the smaller crawls, such as Norwich and Carshalton in 2012, leaving only the larger events):

12/11/10 Birmingham M
11/11/11 Nottingham M (or N?)
2/03/12 Liverpool N
22/03/13 Leicester M
13/07/13 Reading S
22/11/13 Leeds N
21/03/14 Worcester S (or M?)
13/06/14 Rugby M
14/11/14 Bristol S (or W?):evilgrin:
27/03/15 York N

We seem to have done three per year only since 2013, so we're still setting precedents, with nothing ressembling a rigid schedule. Looking at this list, we've done more Midlands than anything else, which is fair enough I suppose. To some extent, our perceptions of whether a city is N, S or M is determined by which part of the country we live in. Nottingham seems like the Midlands to me, but to someone from Sussex it's pretty far North. As I mentioned in a previous thread, sticking rigidly to a M-S-N schedule would mean always going to the same stretch of country at the same time of year, so a bit of flexibility would be desirable, I suggest.

If we're going for June or July we need to set a date pretty soon or we'll miss the advance train fares. Can someone set up a poll with Oxford, Derby, Cambridge, Lincoln, St Albans (I've left out Bournemouth, Southampton and Brighton for the sake of brevity/clarity and because my northern-based compadres will shoot me down in flames otherwise). Have I missed any of the (sensible) suggestions?
Reading is North for me :D, Brighton is South :whistle:
On a serious note is Norwich worth a shout, I have no idea how easy it is to get to?

Quinno
21-04-2015, 10:28
On a serious note is Norwich worth a shout, I have no idea how easy it is to get to?

It's a pain in rump. 3.5 hours from Reading! God knows how long from somewhere like Liverpool or Rochdale...!

ROBCamra
21-04-2015, 10:37
It's a pain in rump. 3.5 hours from Reading! God knows how long from somewhere like Rochdale...!

6 hours in a car, 5 hours 10 minutes and £113 by train. Ain't gonna be happening for me.:p

Al 10000
21-04-2015, 18:10
If the Pubs Galore crawl does go to Derby please be aware that the decent pubs are not that close to each other.

I would have thought that those who have not been to Derby before would like to do the Brunswick and Alexendra which are a bit out of the way but close to the
train station where most members would arrive,
you could take a short cut through Bass's rec to the Smithfield then do Exeter and Peacock another walk to the Furnace then it is a good walk back into
town.
If you go up siddals road the first pubs you will see will be the Castle and Falcon then White Horse and Noahs Ark,these are probably not the sort of pubs
PG crawlers would like doing,i always drink in these if i am waiting for a bus home.

The other route into town is up station road and do the Station,it is then a good walk to the middle of town there are other pubs like the Crown and Cushion and Royal Telegraph
both Marstons,the next pub is the Neptune this one is definatly not for PG pub crawlers,the next decent pub is the Babbington (Spoons).

Things will get even harder after the Spoons,lots of pubs i could name i have been in almost every pub in Derby.

I am only posting this after having a drink with Bucking Fastard in Walthamstow,during a conversation he said some members are not that fit
i would'nt like members to go to Derby and find there is a lot of walking.

Tris39
21-04-2015, 19:07
Central Oxford has historic pubs (Turf, Bear, et al.) and in close proximity to one another. It's generally quiet once the students have gone (end of June). For those coming from (or via) London, the buses run 24 hours. The bus stops right in the centre and the railway station too is very central. Parking is not good; the Park and Ride in Headington is probably the best bet.

sheffield hatter
21-04-2015, 20:12
I am only posting this after having a drink with Bucking Fastard in Walthamstow,during a conversation he said some members are not that fit
i would'nt like members to go to Derby and find there is a lot of walking.

But there is quite a decent bus service...

london calling
21-04-2015, 23:24
But there is quite a decent bus service...
Al I can assure you the ones I have met are pretty fit and if there is a pub at the end of the walk they will get there.

Strongers
22-04-2015, 07:15

Nearly everywhere is north for me. In fact large swathes of the south coast are north!

ETA
22-04-2015, 09:11
Nearly everywhere is north for me. In fact large swathes of the south coast are north!

Ditto: I consider Salisbury to be the Midlands, while I take a team of sled-dogs if I go past the M4.

Wittenden
22-04-2015, 09:17
Ditto: I consider Salisbury to be the Midlands, while I take a team of sled-dogs if I go past the M4.
If it's the other side of the Medway it's narf.

aleandhearty
22-04-2015, 10:11
Parking is not good...

Congatulations, Tris! I think that's the first time parking has been mentioned as a consideration for a PuG meet-up. :D Not that it matters to the hardened dipsos... er, sorry, beer aesthetes who normally attend these things. They're normally over the drink drive limit after 30-40 minutes. (Not me, obviously.)

Bucking Fastard
26-04-2015, 16:19

Can anyone help out by producing a poll of these contenders ? Time is moving on ............................

sheffield hatter
26-04-2015, 19:21
Can anyone help out by producing a poll of these contenders ? Time is moving on ............................

......so should we set a date? Given how late it now is in April, and the availability of long distance advance train tickets, should we be looking at July or even the early part of August? Having said which, we're getting into the holiday season - the last two Fridays (our usual day) in July are impossible for me: I'll be on holiday in Germany. No doubt others will have similar pleas.

Mobyduck
26-04-2015, 20:00
......so should we set a date? Given how late it now is in April, and the availability of long distance advance train tickets, should we be looking at July or even the early part of August? Having said which, we're getting into the holiday season - the last two Fridays (our usual day) in July are impossible for me: I'll be on holiday in Germany. No doubt others will have similar pleas.
August is not so good for me. June or July should be doable .

rpadam
26-04-2015, 20:28
I've not tried it myself, but I think you need to:

a) Start a new thread.
b) Look for the 'Additional Options' box below the main 'Message' box.
c) Look for the 'Post a Poll' option.

Bearing in mind the other recent postings, perhaps we should have one poll for location and another for date?

Also bearing in mind the comment about advance train tickets, I suggest a closing date no longer than a week from now.

Quinno
28-04-2015, 18:13
POLL

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?20520-Summer-Pubs-Galore-crawl&p=73361#post73361

Strongers
29-04-2015, 08:06
I'm going to have to miss this one... Not enough holiday leave to keep taking Fridays off work.

london calling
06-05-2015, 21:25
I voted for St Albans but hoped it would be a Sat but I may still come.Maybe fixing a date first then a venue would be better next time.