PDA

View Full Version : Music in Pubs

ETA
09-03-2015, 10:47
Aqualung's comment (Cross Keys Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/44801/)) immediately made me think of 'galliards and lute-songs served in chilling ale', and I often form my own opinions based on the soundtrack as I enter a pub. But what is it we like or dislike about music in the pub? Does the dire muzak, rap (with a silent 'c') and earsplitting Europop that so many of us (myself included) criticise add any value, and if so, to whom?

I'm not including live music in this (maybe I should?) as it is common for people to travel to a pub specifically to see an act, so the reason for their being there is obvious, I think.

Thoughts?

trainman
09-03-2015, 11:42
I think I like a fairly broad range of music but cannot abide that bollox that today's yoot erroneously call R&B. Whatever the music is, though, it generally shouldn't make conversation difficult, live bands aside.
I've increasingly noticed some staff using the music facilities entirely for their own enjoyment with no thought or relevance to the customer demographic in the pub at the time. If a request for a change of sountrack is not successful, we can, of course, vote with our feet, and I usually would.
There are some pubs where any music would seem intrusive to bar chatter or, sometimes, the old fashioned quiet interrupted only by the ticking of a clock. Whooaah, tm, verging on nostalgic for moment there...

Mobyduck
09-03-2015, 12:35
I don't mind music (good music, now theres another can of worms) in pubs as long as you don't have to shout over it to make yourself heard.

Farway
09-03-2015, 12:43
As above really, just quiet background is OK, as in a lift, but if you have have to shout above it, or you are the only person in the place, what is the point of it?

I will open the worm can to include TV here, why do some pubs [Fuller's round here ] have the bloody sport TV on when no one is watching it daytimes and it is just cackling away to itself, trying to out blast the poxy muzak or alternative channel on the other TV? :mad:

sheffield hatter
09-03-2015, 15:03
As above really, just quiet background is OK, as in a lift, but if you have have to shout above it, or you are the only person in the place, what is the point of it?

It's "quiet background" that really gets on my nerves! If it's music that you like, and that you think your customers will like, play it like it's meant to be played. If you just want a bit of background hum, what about a recording of some lift machinery whirring away?

There are some pubs where any music would seem intrusive to bar chatter or, sometimes, the old fashioned quiet interrupted only by the ticking of a clock. Whooaah, tm, verging on nostalgic for moment there...

Of course, nostalgia's not what it used to be...

london calling
09-03-2015, 21:22
Nothing better when in a nice pub ,the beer is good and a favourite song gets played.The full pub experience.

Aqualung
09-03-2015, 22:07
I don't mind music (good music, now theres another can of worms) in pubs as long as you don't have to shout over it to make yourself heard.

I agree. In the Dolgellau pub there were two locals having a Juke Box challenge with Queen tracks and early sixties pop. I found their battle very enjoyable.

Aqualung
09-03-2015, 22:11
It's "quiet background" that really gets on my nerves! If it's music that you like, and that you think your customers will like, play it like it's meant to be played. If you just want a bit of background hum, what about a recording of some lift machinery whirring away?

The worst thing is where they have "background music" and leave the CD in for days (possibly weeks) on end. I've noticed this on a few occasions at the Victoria in Llanbedr.

Aqualung
09-03-2015, 22:17
I will open the worm can to include TV here, why do some pubs [Fuller's round here ] have the bloody sport TV on when no one is watching it daytimes and it is just cackling away to itself, trying to out blast the poxy muzak or alternative channel on the other TV? :mad:

I agree with this totally. A pub I went to in Shoreham had loud music competing with the Saturday afternoon Sky Sports. Why???
The only good thing about the rolling news in Spoons is watching out for the flunky doing the subtitles completely messing it up.

NickDavies
10-03-2015, 08:56
It's often for the sole benefit of the bar staff. In my social club days we had to replace the sound system. We wired it up so the speakers behind the bar were louder than those on the customers' side. Worked a treat.

Boots60
11-03-2015, 11:20
Karaoke, nobody has mentioned Karaoke, the worst form of "entertainment" the pub business has ever seen, sing in your car, sing in the bath, sing down the football, but please don't assault my eardrums in the pub

Aqualung
11-03-2015, 12:26
Karaoke, nobody has mentioned Karaoke, the worst form of "entertainment" the pub business has ever seen, sing in your car, sing in the bath, sing down the football, but please don't assault my eardrums in the pub

I'm in total agreement with that. If you're in a pub with a DJ why not go up and request the Avant Garde track from some years ago that was just four minutes of silence.

ETA
11-03-2015, 12:43
the Avant Garde track from some years ago that was just four minutes of silence.

John Cage's '4 minutes 33', I believe it was called. Now that really was a rip-off - he (or his publishing company) actually tried to claim royalties for people NOT playing their instruments.

But don't tell the trendier pub chains or they might get the idea of charging you £5.00 for an empty glass. Pint of Cage's Best, anyone?

Aqualung
26-04-2015, 23:14
I was in the Cross in Kinver on Saturday and there was a varied but inoffensive playlist going on in the background. As I was getting ready to leave Jefferson Airplane's "Somebody To Love" came on. If it had been followed by "White Rabbit" then I would have stayed for another pint.