PDA

View Full Version : Its not a pub but!!!

london calling
02-03-2015, 22:55
I was in the Beer Shop an off licence/ bottle shop in St Albans last weekThey have 5 cask beers on.You can take them home or you can drink a pint in the shop but they don't have a bar so you stick on a shelf,wander round and drink it in the shop.Great idea but its not a pub so I don't think it should be on pubs galore. It pains me to see Radizio Rico a restaurant in Upper st Islington included on this site.Its a restaurant. Sad.

Strongers
03-03-2015, 06:57
Entry fee? Need to purchase food? If you've answered no to both these questions you may pass border control and become part of the PuG community.

hondo
03-03-2015, 07:17
Entry fee? Need to purchase food? If you've answered no to both these questions you may pass border control and become part of the PuG community.

:)

Quinno
03-03-2015, 09:07
Perfectly valid concept - Cobbett’s Micropub (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82200/)

aleandhearty
03-03-2015, 10:08
Great idea but its not a pub so I don't think it should be on pubs galore.

Unfortunately, there are always going to be grey areas on the site, even with set criteria. I think places like this are much more in the spirit of PuG than some crappy chain restaurant, with a miniscule holding bar, that got through on a technicality. On that basis, I suggested Beer Huis ( http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82725/) in Ossett.

Aqualung
03-03-2015, 23:43
I was in the Beer Shop an off licence/ bottle shop in St Albans last weekThey have 5 cask beers on.You can take them home or you can drink a pint in the shop but they don't have a bar so you stick on a shelf,wander round and drink it in the shop.Great idea but its not a pub so I don't think it should be on pubs galore. It pains me to see Radizio Rico a restaurant in Upper st Islington included on this site.Its a restaurant. Sad.

Pubs without bars have been around as long as I can recall. They were celebrated places as the beer was served straight from the cask and two that immediately spring to mind are the ex King & Barnes Blue Ship at the Haven in Sussex and the Brakspear Crooked Billet at Stoke Row in Oxfordshire, which although still on the site is I believe a restaurant. Most micropubs don't have a "bar" in the way I think you mean.

The real villains as suggested above are night clubs that have very limited opening hours and charge an entrance fee, restaurants / bistros / cafes where you are compelled to eat and hotels with just residents only bars. There is the old chestnut of closed pubs but I find that far less irritating than the others unless they have been added as a pub that the person who added it never knew or visited and if it comes with a picture of a shop or a house makes it even more annoying

Delboy20
04-03-2015, 19:46
Sounds OK to me ... more right to be on the site than a cafe Rouge !!!!