PDA

View Full Version : Sort it out Dave, do some updates!

Aqualung
19-02-2015, 19:50
Yes I am pulling the national data once a day but as usual with these things matching up the data isn't as easy as it might seem. So far I've matched up about 33,000 pubs this list shows the number of pubs with each rating that I've matched http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/pubs/food-hygiene-ratings/

I've not done a bulk hot food on the basis of it as places can be rated even if they don't actually prepare any food (no I don't understand that either!)

Wouldn't it be more useful to keep the new pubs added and other amendments up to date?

Dave M
19-02-2015, 20:01
Yeah I appreciate things are getting behind again and it is frustrating, I did notice your other post the other day.

As you suggested it would be good if other admins were able to approve the new pubs - that is coming, hopefully in the next month.

Aqualung
19-02-2015, 22:26
Yeah I appreciate things are getting behind again and it is frustrating, I did notice your other post the other day.

As you suggested it would be good if other admins were able to approve the new pubs - that is coming, hopefully in the next month.

Thanks for that and I would like to point out that I didn't actually write the headline for this post, although it does reflect my opinion.
It's nice to see an increasing number of reviews from new people appearing, some from the dark side.
Self promotion posts should be celebrated as it means the site has credibility and few people would not be able to recognise them for what they are.
The What Pub links are a real plus for the site mainly for the opening hours.
I get the impression there is a certain amount of co-operation between the two sites and that can only be a good thing as long as the two sites remain independent as they have a significantly different function.
Maybe there is a case to be made for a link between here and the Lost Pubs Project for closed pubs.

bcfczuluarmy
19-02-2015, 23:08
The What Pub links are a real plus for the site mainly for the opening hours.

They aren't always correct but offer a good basis for planning visits and pursuing further research/confirmation phone call to confirm times.

Mobyduck
20-02-2015, 05:31
Thanks for that and I would like to point out that I didn't actually write the headline for this post.
Who did then ? :confused:

They aren't always correct but offer a good basis for planning visits and pursuing further research/confirmation phone call to confirm times.
Agree with this.

Aqualung
20-02-2015, 09:01
Who did then ? :confused:

I originally posted in the name and shame topic about pubs with zero hygiene ratings and it has been given a new thread. I think that the upkeep of new outlets is a lot more important than this as long as they are not off licences, residential hotel bars or night clubs.

Dave M
20-02-2015, 09:47
I originally posted in the name and shame topic about pubs with zero hygiene ratings and it has been given a new thread. I think that the upkeep of new outlets is a lot more important than this as long as they are not off licences, residential hotel bars or night clubs.

Yeah I felt it deserved a new thread. The title was my best guess at what you might actually be thinking, plus a good way to give me a kick up the backside

As you say really the most important thing for the site is that new pubs get added as quickly as possible. I like to think that people probably keep coming back to the site because it is more accurate than most.

So feel free to post in here when you think standards are slipping and I'll try to sort it out.

Mobyduck
20-02-2015, 10:28
I think that the upkeep of new outlets is a lot more important than this as long as they are not off licences, residential hotel bars or night clubs.

Im with you on that.

ETA
20-02-2015, 16:25
. I like to think that people probably keep coming back to the site because it is more accurate than most.

I would agree with that. We're certainly more up to date than TDS, TripAdvisor or WhatPub.

I think two things make that possible: the dedication and integrity of the regular contributors and the high standard of moderation which stops people being put off by abuse and petty argument.

Aqualung
20-02-2015, 16:32
Yeah I felt it deserved a new thread. The title was my best guess at what you might actually be thinking, plus a good way to give me a kick up the backside

As you say really the most important thing for the site is that new pubs get added as quickly as possible. I like to think that people probably keep coming back to the site because it is more accurate than most.

So feel free to post in here when you think standards are slipping and I'll try to sort it out.

Many thanks for that. I see the new pubs have been updated and I for one am very grateful for that as I'm sure are many others.

Aqualung
20-02-2015, 17:20
We're certainly more up to date than TDS, TripAdvisor or WhatPub.

I've never heard of TDS and in my view Trip Advisor is a site for hotels and restaurants. I realise that thay are tring to muscle in on pubs but regard it as a mistake, just as I think adding licenced restaurants where you have to order food or residents only hotel bars to this site would be a mistake.

As for What Pub vs PUG it depends a lot on the area. Some branches are on the ball and others virtually don't exist. Both sites seem to have weak areas but in London for example I would say PUG has the edge over What Pub. PUG seems to perform worse in more rural areas.

Blackthorn
20-02-2015, 18:52
I've never heard of TDS

I had to think about it for a minute. I think he means The Dark Side!

ETA
20-02-2015, 20:16
. I think he means The Dark Side!

Correct.

Aqualung
20-02-2015, 20:49
Correct.

Dooooohhhh!!!!!

bcfczuluarmy
06-03-2015, 19:00
As an aside to the good work clearing various backlogs can some of the closed pubs reasons be looked into please as I've had 2 outstanding for a while now.

Oak Tree Arena (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60890/) and Three Gables (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/78349/)

AlanH
09-03-2015, 12:04
Another area of out of date (low priority?) information is 2nd generation map points and "out of distance" map points with some waiting for 9 months!
One or two I have clumsily clicked on and know they are out of place instantly and I get annoyed that I can't correct them and they stay out of place for months.

If it is that low priority to correct them, could the restriction to move them be taken off, especially one's own corrections and out of distance points (which are less than useless and waste time).

AlanH
11-03-2015, 23:38
Another area of out of date (low priority?) information is 2nd generation map points and "out of distance" map points with some waiting for 9 months!
One or two I have clumsily clicked on and know they are out of place instantly and I get annoyed that I can't correct them and they stay out of place for months.

If it is that low priority to correct them, could the restriction to move them be taken off, especially one's own corrections and out of distance points (which are less than useless and waste time).

Well sorted out Dave :notworthy:

rpadam
22-03-2015, 10:44
All my 'Pending Approval' items (with the solitary exception of one now-closed pub) now cleared - many thanks Dave!

Quinno
27-05-2015, 11:34
cough cough, got three pubs from May the 10th need adding... ;)

Dave M
27-05-2015, 12:23
cough cough, got three pubs from May the 10th need adding... ;)

Good call, I am indeed 3 weeks behind on new pubs. It has been a busy month, doesn't seem like that long ago. Will sort them now.

Mobyduck
27-05-2015, 19:04
Still waiting on a map point to be approved for here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82810/) since 6/4/15, its about a quarter of a mile out,and when I tried to find the place originally using my normally useful Pubs Galore phone app, ended up deciding it was a phantom pub,then stumbled upon it a little later by accident. I did re-submit it the other day which was a bit silly as I have now got 2 pending's for the same thing.

Quinno
27-05-2015, 19:39
Good call, I am indeed 3 weeks behind on new pubs. It has been a busy month, doesn't seem like that long ago. Will sort them now.

And thus they appear - cheers Dave. Whilst you're at it, can you have a look at - http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?20358-Pub-in-wrong-county!

So I can complete my 100% Berks challenge properly :D

Mobyduck
27-05-2015, 19:54
Still waiting on a map point to be approved for here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82810/) since 6/4/15, its about a quarter of a mile out,and when I tried to find the place originally using my normally useful Pubs Galore phone app, ended up deciding it was a phantom pub,then stumbled upon it a little later by accident. I did re-submit it the other day which was a bit silly as I have now got 2 pending's for the same thing.
Sorted, thanks Dave.

bcfczuluarmy
29-05-2015, 23:39
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?6-That-Doesn-t-Go-There! Could do with a review....

ROBCamra
26-11-2015, 13:27
Dave, some rumblings on the site about the backlog of new pubs.:evilgrin:

Dave M
26-11-2015, 22:10
Dave, some rumblings on the site about the backlog of new pubs.:evilgrin:

Yeah, definitely getting a bit out of hand. I will try to find time to clear the backlog tomorrow. Keep getting caught up with other bits of work and neglecting PuG updates, sorry!

bcfczuluarmy
26-11-2015, 22:13
Only 62 but 57 of those are this new pub in York, Eagle and something...

Dave M
27-11-2015, 19:30
And once again today had been looking clear but then I got caught up with another project so no updates here today. :(

bcfczuluarmy
29-11-2015, 16:34
Seems some movement on this as had a place approved today. Do have a load back ended so see how quick the tail end get approved

Aqualung
29-11-2015, 17:40
Does anyone have a link to the backlog? I don't have any pending but there's a new Spoons opening in Hatfield on Tuesday and I don't want to add it if someone else already has.

rpadam
29-11-2015, 18:13
Dave has approved a lot of new pubs today - thanks!

bcfczuluarmy
29-11-2015, 21:45
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/newpubs/29320/ to http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/newpubs/29380/

Oh Dave's approved everything...

Aqualung
29-11-2015, 21:52
Dave has approved a lot of new pubs today - thanks!

I've just spotted that the Hatfield Spoons was added months ago but is marked as closed.

bcfczuluarmy
29-11-2015, 21:59
Robcamra marked as closed?

Aqualung
29-11-2015, 22:47
Well yes but rightly so as it was added months ago and opens on Tuesday.

ROBCamra
30-11-2015, 12:30

No. Dave McNally

ETA
22-12-2015, 14:54
I'm sure this has been asked before - but how do we go back and add pics to a suggested pub that hasn't yet been approved?

I tried finding the pubsgalore/newpubs/n url but that only appears o bring up pubs which have already been approved.

bcfczuluarmy
22-12-2015, 15:35
Click pending approval on top right hand side by logout button then click the pub in question then you can add your picture

ETA
22-12-2015, 15:45
Click pending approval on top right hand side by logout button then click the pub in question then you can add your picture

Thanks bcfzuluarmy, I hadn't even noticed hat button before - I had it in my head that it was part of the control panel button above it. To quote the great American philosopher -'D'Oh!'

bcfczuluarmy
31-12-2015, 21:26
We seem to have another backlog... Mostly of Toby Carveries, how are all these chain pubs still missing on here.

Aqualung
31-12-2015, 21:37
We seem to have another backlog... Mostly of Toby Carveries, how are all these chain pubs still missing on here.

Because they are primarily restaurants???

bcfczuluarmy
31-12-2015, 21:41
Not really I've spent a few years with closest pub to work being a Toby Carvery utilised for lunchtime drinks most days with friends who worked in nearby buildings. Can understand how they might be no added but they are very much pubs in the communities they serve.

Mobyduck
01-01-2016, 08:08
Dave can you delete one of the duplicate 2015 Mobys threads, no idea how that happened . :confused:

Aqualung
01-01-2016, 08:32
Dave can you delete one of the duplicate 2015 Mobys threads, no idea how that happened . :confused:

Can you not delete it yourself? If you go to Edit Post there is a delete option. Not sure if it will work for a complete thread.

Mobyduck
01-01-2016, 08:40
Can you not delete it yourself? If you go to Edit Post there is a delete option. Not sure if it will work for a complete thread.
No I spent half hour trying last night, can't delete threads as far as I can see.

Mobyduck
01-01-2016, 09:36
Thanks.

ROBCamra
01-01-2016, 10:50
Thanks.

You're welcome. ;)

bcfczuluarmy
15-01-2016, 23:14
Got quite a few new pubs waiting in the wings in Swindon after touring the area recently and stumbling on ones not on here....

Quinno
22-01-2016, 20:25
Oi dave sort it out!!!

Do some updates!!

:D

Dave M
30-01-2016, 18:19
Really struggling to find the time at the moment, will sort out backlogs soon though.

bcfczuluarmy
11-02-2016, 21:13
Really struggling to find the time at the moment, will sort out backlogs soon though.

Any sign of a window yet? Over a month behind with getting on for 150 new entries awaiting approval.

Aqualung
11-02-2016, 21:57
Any sign of a window yet? Over a month behind with getting on for 150 new entries awaiting approval.
It becomes an increasing problem as you don't know whether to add new pubs in case someone else already has. Going through 150 entries to try and check is just not on.
I just hope that the majority of the new entries are not primarily restaurants or night clubs.

bcfczuluarmy
11-02-2016, 23:01
There seems a couple of duplicates around London from memory when I checked, only really bothered about anything new close to me tbh. Although I must admit one of my own doing due to 4G fail when adding while out in Swindon and page didn't seem to submit completed hit "Add pub" again button and it duplicated it.

I think the current blessed admin team could be trusted with new pub additions and those that are borderline/closed recently requested to be added could be referred back to Dave to take the final decision.

bcfczuluarmy
06-03-2016, 16:27
Any free time available Dave? Numbers getting quite high now of pubs awaiting approval.

Aqualung
06-03-2016, 16:34
Any free time available Dave? Numbers getting quite high now of pubs awaiting approval.

Agreed, I had a quick look a week or so ago and noticed that two I added over a month ago have been added by other people.

bcfczuluarmy
06-03-2016, 16:43
Agreed, I had a quick look a week or so ago and noticed that two I added over a month ago have been added by other people.

There is a couple absolute gems hidden in there a duplicate with about 6 entries 5 by the same person in East Kilbride iirc and a couple in London.

Aqualung
10-03-2016, 21:09
I feel reluctant to add any new pubs given the situation where the backlog is now at least six weeks adrift. I know for a fact that What Pub is ahead of the game and if it gets to the stage where BITE is ahead then I think this site will completely lose all credibility.

Aqualung
14-03-2016, 14:30
I feel reluctant to add any new pubs given the situation where the backlog is now at least six weeks adrift. I know for a fact that What Pub is ahead of the game and if it gets to the stage where BITE is ahead then I think this site will completely lose all credibility.

BITE are ahead of the game! The Upminster Tap Room is on their site and was added by me to here in January (added by others since). Quite a few new micropubs opened in February but I'm not even going to think about checking any until the backlog is cleared. Surely someone else can be co-opted to sort this out.

Quinno
14-03-2016, 19:03
We have lift-off!

New pub approved, however Natterjacks (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83740/) has my review under Dave's name!!!

Sort it out Dave!

Dave M
14-03-2016, 19:57
New pub approved, however Natterjacks (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83740/) has my review under Dave's name!!!
Just figured out why that happened!

Almost an hour of reading through code to find a seriously elegant part that Conrad wrote buried very deep in the core where I rarely delve. Going to need a bit of testing to make sure I don't massively screw up the site. :eek:

bcfczuluarmy
14-03-2016, 20:26
Almost an hour of reading through code to find a seriously elegant part that Conrad wrote buried very deep in the core where I rarely delve.

Could've approved lots of new pubs in that hour... Up to 19/01/16 now from a quick check.

Aqualung
14-03-2016, 20:43
Could've approved lots of new pubs in that hour... Up to 19/01/16 now from a quick check.

Agreed, and why not just work around the problem for now by just deleting the incorrect review and resubmitting it?

Quinno
14-03-2016, 20:46
Might be best for some people to take a breath and stop bleating so hard - Dave's here and work is being done to shift the backlog.

Simply approving a load of pubs with wrong/random info creates extra work later. Let him get on with it so it can be right first time.

bcfczuluarmy
14-03-2016, 20:53
Might be best for some people to take a breath and stop bleating so hard - Dave's here and work is being done to shift the backlog.

Simply approving a load of pubs with wrong/random info creates extra work later. Let him get on with it so it can be right first time.

My comment was more tongue in cheek hence the ...

Aqualung
14-03-2016, 22:22
My comment was more tongue in cheek hence the ...

Mine wasn't and there wouldn't be any need to bleat if there wasn't an 8 week backlog, the incorrect review was clearly a one-off.

ROBCamra
15-03-2016, 07:09
Dave is working on the code to allow admins to approve/reject new pubs.

I was testing it last night and managed to approve 4 pubs, but it appears to have broken now.

Aqualung
15-03-2016, 08:05
Dave is working on the code to allow admins to approve/reject new pubs.

I was testing it last night and managed to approve 4 pubs, but it appears to have broken now.

Thanks for that, it would probably explain the problem with the added review having the wrong name on it. At least when this is up and running the backlogs should be a thing of the past.

Aqualung
15-03-2016, 21:27
I don't know how others are getting on but four of my five new pubs are now in. I haven't spotted any problems so hopefully the new software is working OK. At least two of my additions were subsequently added by other users so it seems to be coping with the more awkward additions. If Admin rather than the Main Man can approve new pubs then the whole problem of backlogs will be sorted. Thanks to everyone involved for providing this solution to something that was making me quite grumpy (it doesn't take much!).

bcfczuluarmy
15-03-2016, 22:44
Pub I added on 25/01/16 approved by RobCamra today, I think. Next local interest pub added by B'Thorn 02/02/16 yet to be approved but 50 pub enteries between the 2. Getting there and sure once all in place will be all singing and dancing.

Aqualung
16-03-2016, 18:06
It's all looking good, several micropubs added today and with no problems that I can see.

Blackthorn
16-03-2016, 18:12
One of mine seems to have gone missing! I submitted an entry for the new Beerd in central Bristol. It no longer shows up in my "Pending Approval" screen, but it's not been added to the site and I haven't received an e-mail about it, either confirmation or rejection.

Quinno
16-03-2016, 18:33
Arf!

Dave M
16-03-2016, 18:33
One of mine seems to have gone missing! I submitted an entry for the new Beerd in central Bristol. It no longer shows up in my "Pending Approval" screen, but it's not been added to the site and I haven't received an e-mail about it, either confirmation or rejection.

Ah yes, it is still in the system it has just disappeared off all lists (mine included). It has been referred to me, presumably on account of appearing to be a duplicate of Colston Street Bar & Kitchen (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81884/) - I'm not sure if it is or if they now have two bars in the Colston Hall?

Quinno
16-03-2016, 18:34
On a more serious note, see this one a weird 'subbed anonymously' pub pending approval but when I click on the link it goes nowhere and gives a 404 error:

??

Dave M
16-03-2016, 18:41
On a more serious note, see this one a weird 'subbed anonymously' pub pending approval but when I click on the link it goes nowhere and gives a 404 error:

??

An annoying permissions issue. Not going to sort that out right now as it is a minefield, I'll just end up breaking other stuff.

Blackthorn
16-03-2016, 20:42
Ah yes, it is still in the system it has just disappeared off all lists (mine included). It has been referred to me, presumably on account of appearing to be a duplicate of Colston Street Bar & Kitchen (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81884/) - I'm not sure if it is or if they now have two bars in the Colston Hall?

It is a seperate bar. This one is round the back! Thanks Dave.

bcfczuluarmy
17-03-2016, 18:34

Indeed and I've my pictures ready to post from when I went there the other Sunday....

Dave FYI it used to be Gordito the more restaurant post of Colston Hall amenities.

bcfczuluarmy
17-03-2016, 19:31
Less than an hour to approve Bar 135 (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83901/) seems like everything in the world of code and admin approvals is working well. V happy that new pub additions will now be nailed A.S.A.P.

Aqualung
17-03-2016, 19:45
Less than an hour to approve Bar 135 (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83901/) seems like everything in the world of code and admin approvals is working well. V happy that new pub additions will now be nailed A.S.A.P.

I second that!

aleandhearty
17-03-2016, 19:53

Without wishing to put a curse on things, that was my first pub approval and the process seems very straightforward after Dave's hard work and feedback from ROBCamra. :cheers:

bcfczuluarmy
17-03-2016, 20:00
Sorry it took 62 minutes so I take everything back... Joking of course and think first approval by new approver proves a new working system given the whole backlog now seems cleared.

Wild Rover
26-03-2016, 17:38
New pub submissions at moment spot on the last one was on in 2 minutes.

bcfczuluarmy
08-04-2016, 21:18

Indeed and I've my pictures ready to post from when I went there the other Sunday....

Dave FYI it used to be Gordito the more restaurant post of Colston Hall amenities.

Where are we with adding this pub? It's been outstanding so long it's Changed it's name already to Beerd Colston.....

https://www.bathales.com/our-pubs/pid/beerd-colston/

Does it need readding correctly?

Blackthorn
11-04-2016, 08:43
Where are we with adding this pub? It's been outstanding so long it's Changed it's name already to Beerd Colston.....

https://www.bathales.com/our-pubs/pid/beerd-colston/

Does it need readding correctly?

Might as well. Do you want to try Jon, you might have more luck than me. Hopefully it will be approved this time without referral to Dave.

bcfczuluarmy
11-04-2016, 22:18
Might as well. Do you want to try Jon, you might have more luck than me. Hopefully it will be approved this time without referral to Dave.

Yeah that worked.