PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 15th February 2015)

ROBCamra
13-02-2015, 08:51
Mobyduck: Vibrant Forest Cydonia
Aqualung: Twickenham Gothick Dark
hondo: Belhaven Grand Slam
Thuck Phat: Oakham Bishops Farewell
Bucking Fastard: Mighty Oak Maldon Gold
london calling: Weird Beard Smoke
Real Ale Ray: Weird Beard Hit the Lights
ROBCamra: Anarchy Citra Star

Mobyduck
15-02-2015, 19:14
A rather short list,
Darkstar Hophead 3.8%
Fullers London Pride 4.1%
Gales HSB 4.8%
Wells and Youngs London Gold 4.0%
Vibrant Forest Cydonia 4.7%

Not many beers but this belies the quantity's involved, over the week Hophead was average to good and back again, Pride although a usual suspect and a boring brown beer, is in my opinion toward the top end of that particular category, London Gold was as bland as expected, HSB is consistent, BOTW easily is the Cydonia ,very good beer indeed with wonderful fruity hop flavours throughout .

Aqualung
15-02-2015, 22:35
A small selection this week and all tried in Spoons :-

Dark Star Hophead 3.8%
Truman's Eyrie 4.3%
Twickenham Gothick Dark 4.6%
Sambrook's Four Chimneys Chocolate Stout 4.7%
Portobello APA 5.0%
Southwark Gold 5.2%
Cronx Mad-Ass Entire Chilli Porter 5.2%
ELB Quadrant Oatmeal Stout 5.8%
Adnam's Rogue Brutal IPA 6.0%

I'm going for the Twickenham Gothick Dark which I thought was like a dark bitter along the lines of ELB Nightwatchman.
I liked the big chilli hit in the Cronx Entire but that may make it other people's BABOTW.

BOTW Twickenham Gothick Dark

hondo
16-02-2015, 05:14
Belhaven - Grand Slam

Thuck Phat
16-02-2015, 10:58
At the risk of shifting my Lupulin Threshold: BOTW Oakham Bishops Farewell as the only beer had.

Bucking Fastard
16-02-2015, 12:19
Very limited consumption due to antibiotics being required so by default BOTW goes to

Mighty Oak --- Maldon Gold with decent bitterness in The Old Ship,Heybridge Basin

Next week might venture in a couple of canalside GK pubs to see if there are any decent guests.The things I do for PuG ;)

Al 10000
16-02-2015, 16:37
Next week might venture in a couple of canalside GK pubs to see if there are any decent guests.The things I do for PuG ;)

I went in three GK pubs in Bromley on Saturday all had guest beers on the bar,one even had Hondos beer of the week on,i had a drink of Belhaven Grand Slam and it was a very nice drink.

Aqualung
16-02-2015, 17:57
I went in three GK pubs in Bromley on Saturday all had guest beers on the bar,one even had Hondos beer of the week on,i had a drink of Belhaven Grand Slam and it was a very nice drink.

Belhaven is part of the Greene King Empire. It's the only brewery they didn't close down after taking it over.

london calling
16-02-2015, 20:40
Binghams -woodsmoke porter was good
longman -copper hop was very good
weird beard -smoke 5.0 (Magpie and Crown Brentford) was a pale smoked beer and was very very good and BOTW

Real Ale Ray
17-02-2015, 08:15
Weird Beard - Hit the Lights

ROBCamra
21-02-2015, 13:53
Waited almost to the end of the week to find by BOTW.

Anarchy Citra Star tried in The Hotspur (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/36484/) on Sunday late afternoon.

4.1% and with a lovely smooth hoppiness. Ms CAMRA loved it as well.:cheers: