PDA

View Full Version : champion winter beer

hondo
12-02-2015, 09:26
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/General-News/Elland-1872-Porter-named-CAMRA-s-Champion-Winter-Beer-of-Britain
zero tasted

aleandhearty
12-02-2015, 09:50
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/General-News/Elland-1872-Porter-named-CAMRA-s-Champion-Winter-Beer-of-Britain
zero tasted

Had 1872 quite a few times. I'm a big fan. Also tried London Porter and Dark Drake. Don't suppose I'll be seeing too much more 1872, in the near future, but the good news is virtually all Elland dark beers are very good.

Bucking Fastard
12-02-2015, 17:25
I've enjoyed 1872,Dark Side of the Moose (great name) and Fullers London Porter all worthy of nomination.Thanks for the tip a&h about other dark Elland beers ,will keep a very weather eye open for those on my travels.

london calling
12-02-2015, 22:01
12/15 for me The Elland and Fullers are my favourites.Had the Blakemere porter as well but knowing the brewery doubt if I liked it.

Aqualung
13-02-2015, 09:37
For once I've had six of the 12 listed and have tried the three winners within almost the last six months. The 1872 was my BOTW a few weeks ago and the Dark Drake my BOTW in mid July last year.
I thought the Purple Moose one was an imitation of Adnam's Broadside which set "AVOID" alarm bells ringing for me. I hope to have a chance to give it another go fairly soon.
I'm disappointed to see Moonraker in there as Lees watered it down a few years back in a cynical cost cutting exercise. This included their bottled mild which was reduced to 2.8%, a process that totally ruined it. Moonraker at a miserable 6.5% does not qualify for the category as far as I'm concerned. My top three would be 1872, Dark Drake and Skullsplitter in any order.

Didn't I read somewhere that 1872 is being contract brewed by Thwites? If that is the case they are doing a great job.
It's on the January to March Spoons list and my local one got hold of a couple of casks last month. They were selling it for £2.10 in the January Sale or Cheapskate Monday.

london calling
13-02-2015, 23:11
For once I've had six of the 12 listed and have tried the three winners within almost the last six months. The 1872 was my BOTW a few weeks ago and the Dark Drake my BOTW in mid July last year.
I thought the Purple Moose one was an imitation of Adnam's Broadside which set "AVOID" alarm bells ringing for me. I hope to have a chance to give it another go fairly soon.
I'm disappointed to see Moonraker in there as Lees watered it down a few years back in a cynical cost cutting exercise. This included their bottled mild which was reduced to 2.8%, a process that totally ruined it. Moonraker at a miserable 6.5% does not qualify for the category as far as I'm concerned. My top three would be 1872, Dark Drake and Skullsplitter in any order.

Didn't I read somewhere that 1872 is being contract brewed by Thwites? If that is the case they are doing a great job.
It's on the January to March Spoons list and my local one got hold of a couple of casks last month. They were selling it for £2.10 in the January Sale or Cheapskate Monday.

Yeah, Elland -porter brewed at a different brewery ,different water , different yeast different beer imo.Wankers trying make as much money on the back of this beer as they can.

ROBCamra
14-02-2015, 00:10
Yeah, Elland -porter brewed at a different brewery ,different water , different yeast different beer imo.Wankers trying make as much money on the back of this beer as they can.

Yeh right. Two pints in the The Regal Moon (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55906/) tonight.

Gorgeous. :cheers:

Aqualung
14-02-2015, 08:31

They would use the same yeast I would think, there's nothing stopping them carting it across the Pennines for the first brew. After that they have their own supply. I have no idea where Elland is but as it has a Halifax post code I imagine the water would be very similar to Blackburn.