PDA

View Full Version : What was that pub called

london calling
31-01-2015, 19:35
Does anyone remember a bar/pub that was on the actual tube platform at Victoria station.I am sure I drank at it in 1973/4 when I first came to London.A friend reckons it couldn't have been on the tube station platform.Am I confused?

Aqualung
31-01-2015, 20:08
Does anyone remember a bar/pub that was on the actual tube platform at Victoria station.I am sure I drank at it in 1973/4 when I first came to London.A friend reckons it couldn't have been on the tube station platform.Am I confused?

Your friend would be right about the Victoria Line I don't think there has ever been any sort of retail outlet in any deep tunnel stations but I may be wrong. I've rarely used the District / Circle platforms but I find it hard to imagine there would have been room for a pub, and I can't remember one on any other platforms that are actually underground. The only thing I can remember is a small bar next to Farringdon Station that I believe was part of the station buildings.

Rex_Rattus
31-01-2015, 20:54
You're not confused - well, you might be, but not over this! There definitely was a bar on a tube station platform. It wasn't at Victoria- it was on the District/Circle line and I believe it was at Sloane Square (on the westbound platform). I think it may have been called the Hole in the Wall. Of course the stations on this bit of the tube aren't deep tunnel stations, but cut and cover. A bit more research will probably reveal the full story, but this is just from memory.

PS - I was right - Hole in the Wall Sloane Square!

Mobyduck
31-01-2015, 21:16
Maybe some clues here (http://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/23509/stations-pubs)

Aqualung
31-01-2015, 21:37
The Urban75 (http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2014/12/25/a-history-of-pubs-on-the-london-underground/) site seems to have all known info about this. I'm not sure that I've ever used Sloane Square station but know Liverpool Street and don't recall the bar being there at all.

NickDavies
31-01-2015, 21:42
Maybe some clues here (http://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/23509/stations-pubs)

Takes me back. I remember the ones at Sth Ken and Gloucester Rd too though they weren't on the platforms.

london calling
01-02-2015, 23:02
That's it Sloan Square. My mate Fred knows everything and he said it was illegal to drink on the Underground so I was talking bollocks about a pub on the underground.I came from Dundee where the licencing laws were pretty strict so we loved the fact you could drink on a tube platform, you could drink after 10.00 pm, you could drink In a pub on sunday,you could drink at Smithfield at 6.00 in the morning, you could drink in members clubs all afternoon when the pubs were shut.Also I knew guys who would go to Windsor Safari park just to drink on a sunday because they had an all day licence. Happy days. cheers john

NickDavies
02-02-2015, 10:08
That's it Sloan Square. My mate Fred knows everything and he said it was illegal to drink on the Underground so I was talking bollocks about a pub on the underground.I came from Dundee where the licencing laws were pretty strict so we loved the fact you could drink on a tube platform, you could drink after 10.00 pm, you could drink In a pub on sunday,you could drink at Smithfield at 6.00 in the morning, you could drink in members clubs all afternoon when the pubs were shut.Also I knew guys who would go to Windsor Safari park just to drink on a sunday because they had an all day licence. Happy days. cheers john

And you'd make sure a train trip was between 2 and 7 on a Sunday afternoon as BR buffet cars were about the only places you could get drinks then - even the offies were shut Sunday afternoons.

rpadam
02-02-2015, 19:54
And you'd make sure a train trip was between 2 and 7 on a Sunday afternoon as BR buffet cars were about the only places you could get drinks then - even the offies were shut Sunday afternoons.
Warm can of McEwan's Export anyone?

NickDavies
03-02-2015, 08:41

HSTs had keg fonts in the buffet cars when they were first introduced. They didn't seem to last long and I don't remember ever being on a train where it was in use.

london calling
03-02-2015, 19:18

I remember standing in the buffy all the way from Kings Cross to Dundee drinking cans.I think they used to shut the bar when it stopped at a station as they were not licenced to sell alcohol in that city.