PDA

View Full Version : Closed Pubs Not on the Site

Al 10000
21-01-2015, 17:24
I have recently found a cheap way of getting some of my old photos pub onto disc.

Some members may have seen some of my photos taken of pubs in Nottingham in 1983,all of these pubs are either closed or pulled down.

My problem is do i add the probably hundreds of closed pubs to the site with a photo and review,i have two outstanding closed pubs that were added in February and early March 2014,ime still awaiting approval for these.

Take a look at my avitar,that is a long lost Joseph Holt tied house that was situated in Hollinwood Oldham.

Could someone let me know if it is worth adding closed pubs that are not on the site at the moment.

Thanks Alan

Strongers
21-01-2015, 17:37
I would say definitely add them, especially because you have a picture and an old review.

Quinno
21-01-2015, 21:17
I would say definitely add them, especially because you have a picture and an old review.

But according to replies I've had elsewhere about a closed pub I wanted to add that's not been done, the adding of closed pubs is no longer happening. Which I can understand from one viewpoint but then again if that's now policy, shouldn't all closed pubs from more than 5 years ago be zapped too? I'd much rather have Al's closed pubs that come with a photo and a bit of genuine historical visit context from the man himself than have to wade through a load of non-existent and non-context places that closed 40 years ago, added by the photographers who simply wanted an excuse to take a picture of a bank/shop/house in order to put their stats up as part of a silly arms race amongst themselves.:moremad:

Dave M
21-01-2015, 21:32
I'd much rather have Al's closed pubs that come with a photo and a bit of genuine historical visit context from the man himself
Absolutely, I love having any useful content on the site. Of the messages that I get from random visitors most of them are to complain about something - oddly enough though we do get nice messages from people saying how good it was to see some helpful information about a long gone pub.

wade through a load of non-existent and non-context places that closed 40 years ago, added by the photographers who simply wanted an excuse to take a picture of a bank/shop/house in order to put their stats up as part of a silly arms race amongst themselves.:moremad:
What I've never seen however is someone getting excited about seeing a picture of the branch of Ladbrokes that now stands in roughly the area of a long demolished pub with absolutely no useful information.

I do want (and intend) to start approving the useful closed pub entries at some point but as you can probably imagine there is a lot of fairly useless stuff for me to filter out too.

Do I perhaps need clear guidelines for a closed pub being added? A requirement for a photo of it as it was taken by the actual user plus ideally a first hand account of having visited it?

Aqualung
21-01-2015, 21:37
But according to replies I've had elsewhere about a closed pub I wanted to add that's not been done, the adding of closed pubs is no longer happening. Which I can understand from one viewpoint but then again if that's now policy, shouldn't all closed pubs from more than 5 years ago be zapped too? I'd much rather have Al's closed pubs that come with a photo and a bit of genuine historical visit context from the man himself than have to wade through a load of non-existent and non-context places that closed 40 years ago, added by the photographers who simply wanted an excuse to take a picture of a bank/shop/house in order to put their stats up as part of a silly arms race amongst themselves.:moremad:

That sums up the way I feel about it. Surely the place for these is on the Lost Pubs Project, assuming none are in Wales or Scotland.

rpadam
21-01-2015, 21:44
I think there is also a place for a closed pub with a photograph, even if there is no review, provided that there is clearly some indication of its former use (e.g. residual exterior signage) that can still be seen as you walk past.

Quinno
21-01-2015, 21:50
I do want (and intend) to start approving the useful closed pub entries at some point but as you can probably imagine there is a lot of fairly useless stuff for me to filter out too.

Do I perhaps need clear guidelines for a closed pub being added? A requirement for a photo of it as it was taken by the actual user plus ideally a first hand account of having visited it?

IMO that would be a good baseline.

Perhaps added to that somewhere like http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/newpubs/28103/ :D where the building's previous existence is still quite obvious and could well be confused for some sort of licensed premises still operating. I'm sure others will have their viewpoints, however. (EDIT - I see rpadam beat me to it!!)

I appreciate that you have plenty of things to do, so - as usual - please don't take my ramblings on here as me having a go or anything like that :)

Al 10000
22-01-2015, 16:07
Thanks for all of your replies,

I only add old pubs that i have been in,most Nottingham pubs i have been in quite a few times as i tried to take my wife in all of the Nottingham pubs i have been in.

I do have proper dates of pubs visited since May 1982 along with either the brewery who was running the pub or if it was a rare Free House then i listed the beers they had on the bar at the time of visit,i do admit my photo taken dates are not proper until late 1984,i also have rough books from 1982 which also lists all pubs visited with proper date and brewery or beer,i have kept all rough books since then,my wife does add some usually comical comments about pubs when on a pub crawl with me into my rough books.
I would rather add these pubs to this site.

Once again thanks, Alan

bcfczuluarmy
22-01-2015, 19:17
I think there is also a place for a closed pub with a photograph, even if there is no review, provided that there is clearly some indication of its former use (e.g. residual exterior signage) that can still be seen as you walk past.

Surely if you go into that realm you open it up to conversions being added that still bare the name of the pub and resemble it with some variant added after the name like cottage, house or flats etc that shut long before the internet arrived or the GBG.

sheffield hatter
22-01-2015, 21:25
Surely if you go into that realm you open it up to conversions being added that still bare the name of the pub and resemble it with some variant added after the name like cottage, house or flats etc that shut long before the internet arrived or the GBG.

I would be inclined to agree, if only because I have added many (former) pubs of this type to the site! A downside though would be that photography completists (those taking part in "a silly arms race amongst themselves") would be tempted to go out and take more photos.

On balance, I'm leaning towards the opinion that submitters of such pubs should be encouraged to add them to the Closed Pubs project instead. I like the idea of adding Al's 10,000 pubs to this site, though - he's got the contemporary photos and the reviews (even if this amounts to little more than the date visited and the beer drunk), which are a much more valuable record than a modern photo of a former pub in its new guise.

I would also seriously suggest that "pubs" which have been added to the site where there is no extant building and no link with the original pub (I'm thinking of all those Britannia Building Society photos) should be removed altogether.

rpadam
22-01-2015, 21:52
That isn't really what I meant. Take an example like The Papermakers (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/16335/) in Maidstone. It's been shut for about 15 years, but still has most of the exterior signage in situ and has not been converted. In fact, it looks less run down than quite a few pubs I have visited in certain less salubrious areas. Who knows, perhaps it will return as a pub one day? In the meantime, people will continue to walk or drive past it and wonder what the situation is. Having it on this site, with a photograph, and a commentary, at least makes things a bit clearer. All in all, it is still recognisably a pub, albeit one closed for quite a long time...

Aqualung
22-01-2015, 21:56
I would also seriously suggest that "pubs" which have been added to the site where there is no extant building and no link with the original pub (I'm thinking of all those Britannia Building Society photos) should be removed altogether.

I second that. How about adding restaurants where you have to buy a meal, night clubs that charge an entrance fee and residents only hotels to that list?

Mobyduck
22-01-2015, 22:11
I agree totally with this, their existence is quite pointless.

bcfczuluarmy
22-01-2015, 22:46
That isn't really what I meant. Take an example like The Papermakers (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/16335/) in Maidstone. It's been shut for about 15 years, but still has most of the exterior signage in situ and has not been converted. In fact, it looks less run down than quite a few pubs I have visited in certain less salubrious areas. Who knows, perhaps it will return as a pub one day? In the meantime, people will continue to walk or drive past it and wonder what the situation is. Having it on this site, with a photograph, and a commentary, at least makes things a bit clearer. All in all, it is still recognisably a pub, albeit one closed for quite a long time...

Examples like that are generally few and far between, hence my thought process on your thought process it seems.

I've lots of old pub pictures of conversions that shut too many years ago to warrant being added so I won't as I wasn't into pub pictures nor had a camera phone all those years ago to capture those I went in while open. I'll add a picture to here if a pub is already listed as closed, demolished a Britannia or Dominos etc as it shows what it became especially if not demolished and never had a picture added prior to being marked closed.

We'll go round in circles on this but it comes down to those that approve closed pub pictures and adding closed pubs with modern or old pictures. I'm easy either way as I'll take my own pictures and if it gets approved or not it on here it's not the end of the world.

ETA
23-01-2015, 08:14
Where I have found the inclusion of closed pubs useful is when I see a pub listed on another site, or hear of one by other means, that appears open but isn't. A quick look on here will reveal that it has been converted, demolished or whatever, so I know I don't need to bother finding it.

The main argument agaisnt having closed pubs on here is, I think, that it needs administrator time to approve and maintain the records.

Quinno
23-01-2015, 11:57
The main argument agaisnt having closed pubs on here is, I think, that it needs administrator time to approve and maintain the records.

It's also a pain in the rear going through them when planning a crawl to see if any may actually be open (we've all come across them I'm sure!). Some kind of filter by closure date/fate, perhaps?

Al 10000
12-04-2015, 18:04
I am still waiting for two closed pubs i added to the site back in March 2014 both have proper photos of when they were up and running a review of the pub at the time the picture was taken,this is one of them http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/newpubs/26881/.

Is it worth waiting to get them added after this amount of time or should i delete them and be lost from the site.

sheffield hatter
12-04-2015, 18:19
I am still waiting for two closed pubs i added to the site back in March 2014 both have proper photos of when they were up and running a review of the pub at the time the picture was taken,this is one of them http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/newpubs/26881/.

Is it worth waiting to get them added after this amount of time or should i delete them and be lost from the site.

I'd leave them in case Dave has a change of heart.

Have you sent them to the Lost Pubs Project? If the pubs are not already listed, you can submit them (http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/submit.html) (just click the SUBMIT button, which generates an email): just give name and address of the pub and when it closed, if you know that, and when you had a drink in it, and attach your photo to the email. If they're already on the site, but without photos or comments, just submit those - I know that Glenn Woolley who runs the site will be pleased to hear from you, and your contributions will be gratefully acknowledged, just like on PuG.