PDA

View Full Version : Active Members

Mobyduck
21-01-2015, 08:56
I see on the forum stats today there are 53 active members, this figure fluctuates if not daily certainly weekly, 53 doesn't sound much against 19,406 members in total but it dwarfs those taking part on the CAMRA forum which has been barren most of the year. I just wondered on here what constitutes an active member given the regular fluctuation ? No rude answers please. :evilgrin:

Dave M
21-01-2015, 09:04
It is the number of people who have logged in to the forum in the last 30 days. The 19,000 members is a bit of a red herring in that people signing up for the main site will automatically create a forum membership but may never even realise let alone ever log in to it!

oldboots
21-01-2015, 09:06
At least we don't have "Dickie" English........

Dave M
21-01-2015, 09:13

Well technically we do, he's just never logged in http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/member.php?9390-Richard_English

Mobyduck
21-01-2015, 09:14
Hallelujah for that. He has been rather"limp" in his own activity over there lately.

oldboots
21-01-2015, 09:43
Well technically we do, he's just never logged in http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/member.php?9390-Richard_English

:eek:

Mobyduck
21-01-2015, 10:50

:eek:

A little activity (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/userinfo.php?name=Richard_English) on the main site.

trainman
21-01-2015, 11:33
I guess I'd need to login to another site to know what you're all talking about, but he'd have a surprise if he looked at his own PG profile today, and wonder why a number of users have suddenly been having a peek!

Wittenden
21-01-2015, 13:18
Who he?

oldboots
21-01-2015, 15:14
Who he?

Mr Richard English is a stalwart of the CAMRA forum, some may say a rather pompous and self important one, others just believe Richard regards the CAMRA forum merely as a vehicle, a place where he can win debating points and show off his no doubt superior knowledge of any subject. He has long dominated the forums apart from an occasion when he threw a hissey fit, this may have been because "Cooking Lager", yes he of the blog and many comments on other blogs, called him "Dickie" which Richard detests (which of course only encouraged CL) or it may not.

Dickie is known for his catch phrases such as "Chemical Fizz" and "the London Pride's drinking well today", in addition he is the apologist-in-chief for Wetherspoons on the CAMRA forum. He is a retired travel agent trainer of some sort and lives in Sussex near the Partridge Inn. He has a beard.

Wittenden
21-01-2015, 16:50
Mr Richard English is a stalwart of the CAMRA forum, some may say a rather pompous and self important one, others just believe Richard regards the CAMRA forum merely as a vehicle, a place where he can win debating points and show off his no doubt superior knowledge of any subject. He has long dominated the forums apart from an occasion when he threw a hissey fit, this may have been because "Cooking Lager", yes he of the blog and many comments on other blogs, called him "Dickie" which Richard detests (which of course only encouraged CL) or it may not.

Dickie is known for his catch phrases such as "Chemical Fizz" and "the London Pride's drinking well today", in addition he is the apologist-in-chief for Wetherspoons on the CAMRA forum. He is a retired travel agent trainer of some sort and lives in Sussex near the Partridge Inn. He has a beard.
Aha!Life's too short for more than one forum...

oldboots
21-01-2015, 17:02
Aha!Life's too short for more than one forum...

Well I just checked the CAMRA forum and yes it's as dreary as ever......yawn

london calling
21-01-2015, 19:47
I used to post on this forum years ago but Dickie singlehandedly bored everyone away.Just looked back at 2009/10 to see who was posting and it was a busy forum. Sad.

Andy Ven
21-01-2015, 21:19
He has a beard.

Cardigan and sandals too?

Quinno
21-01-2015, 22:01
He has long dominated the forums apart from an occasion when he threw a hissey fit, this may have been because "Cooking Lager", yes he of the blog and many comments on other blogs, called him "Dickie" which Richard detests (which of course only encouraged CL) or it may not.

I adore Cookie, a suitably irreverent voice to prick the pompous and lighten the tone when it all gets a bit navel-gazing. I wouldn't be surprised if in actuality he's an alter-ego (or sockpuppet, you choose) of another beer/pub writer. But if he's literally a lone comedy turn, then fair play to him (I assume it's a him?).

rpadam
21-01-2015, 22:11
sockpuppet
You are supposed to learn something everyday, and that one's fills today's quota...

Mobyduck
21-01-2015, 22:44
It is the number of people who have logged in to the forum in the last 30 days. The 19,000 members is a bit of a red herring in that people signing up for the main site will automatically create a forum membership but may never even realise let alone ever log in to it!

Thanks for the actual answer to the question asked Dave, its funny how these things go off on a tangent, I kind of guessed it would though, and the rest of it has been entertaining.

Quinno
21-01-2015, 22:48
Mr Richard English is a stalwart of the CAMRA forum, some may say a rather pompous and self important one, others just believe Richard regards the CAMRA forum merely as a vehicle, a place where he can win debating points and show off his no doubt superior knowledge of any subject.

So as Mrs Quinno has her head buried in her laptop doing Something Very Important, I thought that I'd take a look - and you are quite right in your description. Sad thing is he sometimes makes quite perceptive and valid points but oh my, he don't half go on and he isn't too good in being gracious to other people's viewpoints. No wonder Cookie thought he could have some fun with him!

Mobyduck
21-01-2015, 22:54
So as Mrs Quinno has her head buried in her laptop doing Something Very Important, I thought that I'd take a look - and you are quite right in your description. Sad thing is he sometimes makes quite perceptive and valid points but oh my, he don't half go on and he isn't too good in being gracious to other people's viewpoints. No wonder Cookie thought he could have some fun with him!

Cookie no longer takes part now its usually him and Curmudgeon taking turns at having a swipe at each other.

Pubsignman
21-01-2015, 23:52
You are supposed to learn something everyday, and that one's fills today's quota...

It filled Monday's quota for me, as it was the answer to a question on this week's University Challenge!

oldboots
22-01-2015, 07:03
I wouldn't be surprised if in actuality he's an alter-ego (or sockpuppet, you choose) of another beer/pub writer. But if he's literally a lone comedy turn, then fair play to him (I assume it's a him?).

From his writings I believe he is a youngish chap bloke in the Manchester area who knows Pub Curmudgeon (the blogger and columnist in CAMRA Stockport's Opening Times mag not the one on the CAMRA forum) and the blessed Tandleman (chairman of Rochdale, Bury and Oldham CAMRA). he comments often on both blogs. I think he had probably taken the "Lout" thing as far as it could go, hopefully he'll turn his talents to something else.

oldboots
22-01-2015, 07:05
Cardigan and sandals too?

judging by his picture and things he has written, I would imagine cavalry twill trousers, blue blazer and shiny shoes, he may possess a cardy but would never call it that.

london calling
22-01-2015, 19:37
From his writings I believe he is a youngish chap bloke in the Manchester area who knows Pub Curmudgeon (the blogger and columnist in CAMRA Stockport's Opening Times mag not the one on the CAMRA forum) and the blessed Tandleman (chairman of Rochdale, Bury and Oldham CAMRA). he comments often on both blogs. I think he had probably taken the "Lout" thing as far as it could go, hopefully he'll turn his talents to something else.

I told Richard English (on the forum of course)about 4 years ago that Cookie was a spoof commentator and to ignore his responses but no he kept banging on.I have always felt that Cooking Lager is a well known blogger and posts his comments for fun under his other name.Funny guy for the first 6 months but he has outstayed his welcome.Hope he doesn't find this forum.I have often wondered if the two curmudgeons were different.

Mobyduck
22-01-2015, 22:14
I have often wondered if the two curmudgeons were different.
I had assumed they were the same, but you live and learn.

oldboots
23-01-2015, 11:58
Cooking Lager must be watching us, he's posted a Blog today for the first time in months. It does read like he was well refreshed with adult beverages when he typed it.

Quinno
23-01-2015, 13:11
Cooking Lager must be watching us, he's posted a Blog today for the first time in months. It does read like he was well refreshed with adult beverages when he typed it.

Maybe he lives among us...

PaddyMick
31-01-2015, 12:32
Hello all

This thread seemed as good as any for an introduction. I've been looking for a pubs forum and this seemed the biggest and most active and I like the database of pubs on the site. Another good thing is the blog tracker, as I want to read more blogs so having the best ones in one place to link from is good.

I'm really here out of interest in what's happening in pubs and will probably be reading much more than writing. I'm not a reviewer but I may have a go. I'll try and contribute to the forum when I can once i'm more familiar with it.

Cards on the table: i'm a publican, but i'm not on here to promote my pub so I won't tell you where unless asked and I won't be reviewing my own pub. I do reserve the right to post opinion from this side of the bar though :)

One bit of constructive criticism that seems relevant to this thread - when I signed up it took a few days to get my account activated and be able to post. Maybe allowing people to post straight away would be good and the forum would get more traffic. I understand the need to balance this against potential spammers though and despite being active on forums, I have never been an admin/mod so not sure how it works behind the scenes.

Anyhow,
all the best
Paddy

ROBCamra
31-01-2015, 12:39
Welcome aboard Paddy.

Another opinion, especially from the other side of the bar is always welcome. :cheers:

Mobyduck
31-01-2015, 12:39
Hello all

This thread seemed as good as any for an introduction. I've been looking for a pubs forum and this seemed the biggest and most active and I like the database of pubs on the site. Another good thing is the blog tracker, as I want to read more blogs so having the best ones in one place to link from is good.

I'm really here out of interest in what's happening in pubs and will probably be reading much more than writing. I'm not a reviewer but I may have a go. I'll try and contribute to the forum when I can once i'm more familiar with it.

Cards on the table: i'm a publican, but i'm not on here to promote my pub so I won't tell you where unless asked and I won't be reviewing my own pub. I do reserve the right to post opinion from this side of the bar though :)

One bit of constructive criticism that seems relevant to this thread - when I signed up it took a few days to get my account activated and be able to post. Maybe allowing people to post straight away would be good and the forum would get more traffic. I understand the need to balance this against potential spammers though and despite being active on forums, I have never been an admin/mod so not sure how it works behind the scenes.

Anyhow,
all the best
Paddy
Welcome , feel free to name your pub, unless i've given a poor review.I'm joking off course, cant find a smiley onthe mobile version.

PaddyMick
31-01-2015, 12:57
Thanks both.
It's The Western in Leicester
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/20742/

Quinno
31-01-2015, 21:14
Thanks both.
It's The Western in Leicester
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/20742/

Welcome :D

I remember that one from the Leicester crawl quite well!

PaddyMick
01-02-2015, 13:41
Welcome :D

I remember that one from the Leicester crawl quite well!

Cool thanks. If was in the last two years I may have served you :)

Mobyduck
01-02-2015, 13:51
Cool thanks. If was in the last two years I may have served you :)

Hi PM. a good crowd of us were there on the 22nd March 20013, for some reason I haven't reviewed the pub personally, I sometimes have lapses on these occasions and not as studious as some amongst us in my note taking. :drinkup: