PDA

View Full Version : The 142 Bus Route Crawl

Millay
03-04-2010, 09:41
Having spent the day doing ‘stuff around the house’ yesterday I thought I deserved a beer today. So I’m going to brave the showers and follow the 142 bus route through from Watford to Brent Cross. This will take me through parts of Bushey, Stanmore, Edgware, Burnt Oak and Colindale. Not many great pubs around there but they does seem to be a bit of a dearth of photos and reviews from those areas so I’ll try to put that right. It’s not great photo taking weather and I’m not sure how many pubs I’ll actually go into but there are a couple that I think may have closed so I should at least be able to confirm that.

Enjoy whatever you’re doing today, and let’s hope it includes a beer or two :drinkup::drinkup:

RogerB
03-04-2010, 10:20
I'm at a bit of a lost cause today. I was hoping to go to Waltham Abbey v Dartford but with a Noon pitch inspection, it wouldn't leave enough time to get there and do some pubs first. It doesn't look like a decent enough pub area to warrant a visit for the sake of just the pubs so I'm not going to chance going out early. With all the engineering works and tube line closures, I think it will be something local today both beer and footy wise.:(

Rex_Rattus
03-04-2010, 11:16
I like the idea of a bus pub crawl. I did a fairly short one on the 65 route (Kingston to Ealing) a little while ago - Willoughby Arms, Kingston; Triple Crown Inn, Richmond; Express Tavern, Brentford; Red Lion, Ealing. There are a good few more pubs on that route worth a punt.

It's one of those days, isn't it? I might take myself down to The Hope in Carshalton this afternoon for their beer festival, having been reminded of it by Trainman's review.

Strongers
03-04-2010, 21:09
Been on the 65 many a time after leaving the New Inn and travelling up to Ealing for a night on the town.

I've persuaded the misses to give me a day pass so after finishing work at midday next Saturday I'm going to do the Uxbridge branch of the Piccadilly line which is also devoid of photos and reviews. Any must visit pubs that are suggested would be welcome!

oldboots
04-04-2010, 08:48
I have a bus crawl planned for next weekend, weather permitting, up Nidderdale as far as Pateley Bridge. There appears to be a bus stop either next to or not far from every pub in the dale. The timetable allows almost one hour in each pub so I'm worried I may get very, very drunk :nishelypished: miss several buses, OD on Black Sheep or all do three.

gillhalfpint
04-04-2010, 11:03
We did a bus route a while ago from Walton on Thames going out past Chertsey, and that bus seemed to stop at every pub allowing us about an hour at each. Fun thing to do.

My memories of Pateley Bridge go way back before beer drinking days with an old ridge tent. Seem to remember some sort of gorge near there. Love the area.

Millay
04-04-2010, 11:50
The weather kept fine yesterday for my little bus pub crawl, no rain at all and a fair bit of sunshine, just goes to show what those Met Office bods know. Here’s a brief summary of the day.

Caught the bus through to Stanmore noting the re-opening of the Horse & Chains and the closure of the Abercorn Arms along the way. Had a pint in the Man in the Moon in Stanmore and as this is the only decent pub still left I checked out a couple of name changes took some photos and jumped on the bus to Edgware. Not a good pace for pubs either so it was a pint in the Three Wishes a quick bacon sandwich and back on the bus.

Headed up Burnt Oak Broadway into Colindale and West Hendon while looking out for suitable stops on the way back. Then it was a mixture of walking and bus hopping back to Edgware taking in,

Erin’s Hope
Moon Under Water
New Inn
Bald Faced Stag
Blarney’s
Landsdowne
Prince of Wales
Change of Hart
Masons Arms

Not much real ale around this area which has a large Irish community, so I drank a lot of Guinness. Bus back to Bushey where I stopped off at the Royal Oak and checked out the Horse & Chains. Final pint back in Watford with the inevitable curry.

So I’ve a number of reviews and photos to add plus a few changes to be made but that will have to wait, one of my favourite pubs in St Albans has a Hoppy Easter beer festival on this weekend and it would be wrong not to pay a visit :cheers:

trainman
04-04-2010, 12:06
I'm going to do the Uxbridge branch of the Piccadilly line which is also devoid of photos and reviews. Any must visit pubs that are suggested would be welcome!
Haven't really ventured to that corner of the tube map but, looking at pubs & ale choices in the area, there may be a reason for that...

Not bus crawls, as such, but successful bus journeys to pubs have included 297 Tunbridge Wells to Brenchley (Halfway House), X65 Guildford to Puttenham (Good Intent), 66A Colchester to Rowhedge (Albion), X72 Alton to Selborne (Selborne Arms), 7 Cambridge to Histon (Red Lion), 22 Leicester to Evington (then walk to Oadby Cow & Plough), options Nottingham to Radford (Plough Inn), 32 Chelmsford (or nr Queens Head) to Writtle (Wheatsheaf).

I'd be quite interested in a decent bus crawl though; I'll keep a hopeful eye on this thread.
I know the 93 connects S.Wimbledon (Trafalgar) & Putney (Bricklayers), but you'd want summat in between - both beer & loo break.

trainman
04-04-2010, 12:14
one of my favourite pubs in St Albans has a Hoppy Easter beer festival on this weekend and it would be wrong not to pay a visit :cheers:
Yes, I saw that and the allure of hoppy beers in a previously unticked pub was very tempting. Unfortunately I forgot to win the lottery last night, so can't make it this time.

oldboots
04-04-2010, 15:53
My memories of Pateley Bridge go way back before beer drinking days with an old ridge tent. Seem to remember some sort of gorge near there. Love the area.

I suspect you mean the How Stean Gorge near the end of the Dale, fairly close to the two pubs at that end, both confusingly called the Crown, the Crown Hotel, Lofthouse (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58502/) and the Crown Hotel, Middlesmoor (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/67673/) there's also a Crown in Pateley (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29130/) as well, very imaginative the people in Nidderdale.

Rex_Rattus
04-04-2010, 17:38
I know the 93 connects S.Wimbledon (Trafalgar) & Putney (Bricklayers), but you'd want summat in between - both beer & loo break.

Get off at the War Memorial and cut across the corner of Wimbledon Common to The Hand in Hand perhaps? It's a Young's house so the ale choice is a bit limited, although last time I was in there the landlord had got on every ale that he could - 8 in all. And it did make the CAMRA S West finals, beaten by The Traf of course, because it is a good pub. He has a no children policy, no pop music, no one armed bandits, etc. Could do worse. There may be other good pubs on the route, but they don't spring to mind.

gillhalfpint
04-04-2010, 17:55
You are right. Remember the name of the gorge. Quite possibly did a Crown or two, but goodness knows what I was drinking in my youth!!

hopwas
08-04-2010, 10:31
I have no idea if anyone attempted bus pub crawl on Birmingham's 11 route. Longest bus route in Europe. Pass 40 pubs, 233 schools, 19 retail centres and 6 hospitals. All in epic 27 miles! :eek:

More info.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Midlands_bus_route_11

RogerB
08-04-2010, 11:09
Pass 40 pubs, 6 hospitals.

So you could get your stomach pumped after every 6 pubs and continue on your way afresh with space in the 40th pub for an extra couple of pints. :sick:

Conrad
08-04-2010, 12:08
So you could get your stomach pumped after every 6 pubs and continue on your way afresh with space in the 40th pub for an extra couple of pints. :sick:
Sounds good for us mere mortals, but I have read your pub crawls you would only need every other hospital.