PDA

View Full Version : The next Pubsgalore crawl.

Bucking Fastard
22-11-2014, 15:33
Although the dust has only just settled after the excellent Bristol crawl,I thought I would get the ball rolling,especially as advanced rail fare deals are now being offered to mid February.

In past years March has been a popular month for a crawl,and if Fridays are still the preferred option I would certainly be available on March 6th,13th and 20th but definitely not the 27th.

The other major topic for conversation is the venue.The furthest north that we ventured during 2014 on the major crawls was Rugby ,so is it about time to aim for a northern city for the next crawl ?

I know that cost considerations play a part when venturing north for many southern members,but that equally applies to our friends in the north when a southern venue is chosen.

Is there support for a trip up north ?

gillhalfpint
22-11-2014, 15:55
6..13..20..27 March all ok for us. This may change a bit when I know the dates for the Leicester beer fest though. I am happy to go with the flow on your suggestions.

rpadam
22-11-2014, 16:30
20th would be best for me, or possibly the 6th, but definitely not the 13th. North potentially OK for me, but a decision would be needed quite soon so that advance train tickets can be booked as soon as they become available (i.e. about three months in advance).

oldboots
22-11-2014, 19:33
March should be fine with me. If we're going north it's probably the turn of Manchester or Sheffield. A little harder to get to would be York, Huddersfield or Chester.

sheffield hatter
22-11-2014, 20:53
March should be fine with me. If we're going north it's probably the turn of Manchester or Sheffield. A little harder to get to would be York, Huddersfield or Chester.

I don't have a problem with having the next meet up in the north. :D

I agree that for those coming from the south Huddersfield or Chester can be a bit of a stretch. There are trains at Crewe for Chester every 20 minutes or so, which makes it a little better than Huddersfield in my experience.

York, with fast trains on the east coast main line might not be so bad.

If we're talking about Manchester, Stockport might also be an option - some very good pubs for a smallish town - though buses might need to be involved.

Not sure about Sheffield. Any good pubs there, do you think? :evilgrin:

Mobyduck
22-11-2014, 22:07
I wouldn't mind a look oop north but it will come down to travel cost for me, just had a quick look at the likes of Manchester and York as far ahead as i can (currently 20th Feb) and both are well over the £100.00, a little to rich for me for a few hours on the sauce,although a two night stay in a travel lodge works out slightly cheaper and worth consideration. I find the train costs very hard to understand, a couple of examples I looked at a bit further south (not north I suppose but nosebleed territory as far as I'm concerned) I found confusing, I can get to Nottingham and back (I know you have already done this one, just an e.g.) in Feb for £44.00, and yet Derby,not a million miles away from the former weighs in at an eye watering £102.00 :confused:. So will have to see what deals can be found when the location is decided.

gillhalfpint
22-11-2014, 22:46
Is that East Coast line for Nottingham compared with West Coast line for Derby I wonder. Will see what prices from the Midlands will be for the places mentioned so far. I know it will be for a Feb date at the moment, but a decent indicator.
13.2.15 is the Friday I could use. Prices for 1 with senior card. 2 singles unless stated return.
Derby.... £9.50
Nottingham .... £11.55 return
Sheffield .... £25.40 but I get returns to Derby and use Wayfarer so around £16
Manchester .... £22.60
Stockport .... £22.60
Crewe .... £9.10
Chester .... £13.45 return
York .... £35.60
Huddersfield .... £36.15

Maldenman
23-11-2014, 09:26
Strange pricing, so if Manchester then a return to Crewe plus another ticket from Crewe to Piccadilly comes in considerably cheaper.

ROBCamra
23-11-2014, 09:34
both are well over the £100.00, a little to rich for me for a few hours on the sauce,

Bristol would have cost me around £200, hence the no show.

Mobyduck
23-11-2014, 13:54
Bristol would have cost me around £200, hence the no show.

It was good,but not that good.

gillhalfpint
24-11-2014, 08:47
We can do Manchester cheaper from Birmingham in the same way as Sheffield. For Sheffield we get the off peak return to Derby then use the Wayfarer scratchcard ticket to Sheffield. (Buy them half a dozen at a time as we like Sheffield!)

Not done Manchester the cheap way before, but it is I believe an off peak return to Macclesfield then a wayfarer type ticket for Manchester. We usually stay in Bury for Manchester so not tried the train trip. It is amazing how much cheaper these alternatives are.

Gann
24-11-2014, 11:17
Currently OK for those four Fridays in March, but would be good to decide and fix sooner rather than later.

Also more than OK for another trip OOOp North... and would prefer Sheffield or Derby (yes i know that's technically the Midlands but its North for me..:) ) as these are great Ale towns I haven't done for many a moon..

Rex_Rattus
24-11-2014, 11:49
Having broken my duck on the 14th, it looks as if I will miss the next one. I definitely can't make 6 or 13 Mar, and probably not the 20th either. Could make 27th, but BF can't make that date so probably not the front runner!

Bucking Fastard
24-11-2014, 21:53
Having broken my duck on the 14th, it looks as if I will miss the next one. I definitely can't make 6 or 13 Mar, and probably not the 20th either. Could make 27th, but BF can't make that date so probably not the front runner!

I have just realised that I can just switch my commitment back a week and can now make March 27th There were no other objections to that date,and if we need a quick decisions to accomodate Gann how about this date ??

We could then have a poll to decide the venue from the above mentioned runners.Not being very techie,I dont know how to set up a poll.Can anyone help ?

Strongers
24-11-2014, 23:01
I will pencil in the 27th and I'm easy on the location.

rpadam
24-11-2014, 23:28
27th looks good for me too.

Strongers
24-11-2014, 23:34
.Not being very techie,I dont know how to set up a poll.Can anyone help ?

Done, but my first time *blush* so (Dave) please correct if wrong.

gillhalfpint
25-11-2014, 10:36
Just checked the price for Huddersfield. £36.15 each direct, but if we get returns to Derby £9.50 each, then use a Wayfarer to Sheffield £6 each, then return to Huddersfield £6.10 each total £21.60 each. Stupid really. National rail was taking us by Stockport instead of Sheffield for £30 more.

Bucking Fastard
25-11-2014, 20:49
Done, but my first time *blush* so (Dave) please correct if wrong.

Thanks Strongers,seems you got it in one.

sheffield hatter
27-11-2014, 09:38
Are we settled on Friday, 27th March?

If so, advance train tickets should be on sale round about 2nd January.

an_ecumenical_matter
27-11-2014, 11:32
Have to negotiate a new roster before I know if I'm in or out.

Mobyduck
27-11-2014, 20:09
Are we settled on Friday, 27th March?

If so, advance train tickets should be on sale round about 2nd January.

Date is OK with me, down to finances as to whether I will be an attendee or not,will have to wait till nearer the time.

ETA
05-12-2014, 08:04
There's a chance I'll be doing a Manchester trip in the next couple of months - if the two coincide, that wouod be an incredibly good stroke of luck.

Rex_Rattus
05-12-2014, 09:43
Have we settled on a venue yet? I know there's a vote but I've no idea how to find it on here!

hondo
05-12-2014, 10:16
Have we settled on a venue yet? I know there's a vote but I've no idea how to find it on here!

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?19287-Next-meet-up-venue

Mobyduck
05-12-2014, 18:03
Vote is open till the 24th Dec.

Rex_Rattus
10-12-2014, 14:16
Thanks for that guys. I see that York is leading by a nose!

Bucking Fastard
28-12-2014, 15:14
I see that the poll has closed and the winner is.... York

Could someone with admin rights please change the thread title to York on Friday 27th March 2015 as I suspect advanced train fares will be available very soon.

Let the debate on which pubs to visit begin........... my problem will be getting out of The York Tap (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/75525/) ;)

oldboots
28-12-2014, 18:06
Let the debate on which pubs to visit begin...........

Sheffield Hatter and myself have already discussed some options, I'll let Will propose his non-touristy itinerary (which I mainly agree with). We may wish to start at The Maltings (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43595/) rather than the Tap as the Maltings will be rammed on a Friday evening but should be relatively quiet at noon, that leaves the Tap as the last pub with little risk of missing the station for those overcome by the delights of York. There are of course many start/finish options with probably the Micklegate Punch Bowl (JDW) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55471/) as the early arrivals breakfast venue of choice. Obviously a lot depends on who is coming and their familiarity with York.

trainman
28-12-2014, 18:58
I see no cheapies (from London) for 27th yet, but £14.60ew available 20Mar, or overnighting 19-20Mar, so hopefully something similar will become available next week for target dates...

gillhalfpint
28-12-2014, 22:55
Based on 20th for us £36.80 each 2 singles each way, or £30 each 2 singles each way if we go Thursday and come back Friday. Will check next week, but Ray is going to start checking knee replacement and has his first hospital appointment to see what they can do for him next month so we won't be getting advance tickets till we know whether one, both or neither of us will be joining you. We love York to bits, and have caravan booked in up there for fest in September. That can be cancelled at no cost if health issues a problem though.

Mobyduck
28-12-2014, 22:59
I see no cheapies (from London) for 27th yet, but £14.60ew available 20Mar, or overnighting 19-20Mar, so hopefully something similar will become available next week for target dates...

Horrendous prices for me at the moment ,will have to see what turns up.

Aqualung
28-12-2014, 23:20
Horrendous prices for me at the moment ,will have to see what turns up.

East Coast Trains like East Midlands Trains only update their cheap fares future date at the Weekend (I'm not sure which of the three days it is) and it is always up to the Friday. This means the 27th of March will appear after next Friday. You really need to use the train company site to keep an eye out for the cheapest fares even if you don't book with them.

I've noticed that East Midlands Trains cheapest tickets don't seem to be bookable at all through National Rail and they also appear to have increased in price considerably for 2015. Additionally I noticed they cost more though Southern who give you the option of having the tickets posted for free.

Virgin's cheapest prices remain the same so I'm already booked to the West Midlands in March at a discounted £4.95 each way.

The Southern "go anywhere" ticket has gone up to £17.90 from £15.00 last year and £12.00 the year before so I almost certainly won't use it again after February. With a railcard it's cheaper to get discounted advance singles to two stations plus a strategic discounted day return or two or if you've got free bus travel add that to the mix.

Mobyduck
29-12-2014, 21:04
East Coast Trains like East Midlands Trains only update their cheap fares future date at the Weekend (I'm not sure which of the three days it is) and it is always up to the Friday. This means the 27th of March will appear after next Friday. You really need to use the train company site to keep an eye out for the cheapest fares even if you don't book with them.

I've noticed that East Midlands Trains cheapest tickets don't seem to be bookable at all through National Rail and they also appear to have increased in price considerably for 2015. Additionally I noticed they cost more though Southern who give you the option of having the tickets posted for free.

Virgin's cheapest prices remain the same so I'm already booked to the West Midlands in March at a discounted £4.95 each way.

The Southern "go anywhere" ticket has gone up to £17.90 from £15.00 last year and £12.00 the year before so I almost certainly won't use it again after February. With a railcard it's cheaper to get discounted advance singles to two stations plus a strategic discounted day return or two or if you've got free bus travel add that to the mix.

Thanks.

rpadam
29-12-2014, 21:23
East Coast have held a January seat sale in recent years, so that may be worth looking out for (although I've not seen anything yet; and, it does happen, it may not extend far enough into March to help some of us).

sheffield hatter
30-12-2014, 12:37
Sheffield Hatter and myself have already discussed some options, I'll let Will propose his non-touristy itinerary (which I mainly agree with). We may wish to start at The Maltings (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43595/) rather than the Tap as the Maltings will be rammed on a Friday evening but should be relatively quiet at noon, that leaves the Tap as the last pub with little risk of missing the station for those overcome by the delights of York. There are of course many start/finish options with probably the Micklegate Punch Bowl (JDW) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55471/) as the early arrivals breakfast venue of choice. Obviously a lot depends on who is coming and their familiarity with York.

Yes, starting at the Maltings may be a good idea, with the Tap for a swift half before leaving the station, and for a final one before the train home. The route I'm thinking of, and have discussed with OB, starts on Lawrence Street and visits several decent pubs that are only short walks apart.

My thinking is that the more touristy and popular pubs in the city centre are likely to be too crowded for a large group of us to suddenly descend upon. For example, the House of the Trembling madness has quite a low safety limit and we couldn't guarantee getting in; the Blue Ball is certain to refuse us entry if we all arrive at once. I would suggest that anyone who hasn't done York city centre should stay an extra day, Thursday or Saturday, to do them on their own or in a smaller group.

The route will need a bit of tweaking, for example the Phoenix doesn't open until 4.30pm, so if we agree to do the route I may try phoning or emailing the pub to ask if they wouldn't mind opening a little earlier for us. The approximate list (including wild cards [in brackets] for those who like going off piste) would be something like this:

York Tap
Maltings
Rose and Crown, Waggon & Horses and Rook & Gaskill [Beeswing]
[Sea Horse], Woolpack (opens at 3), [Masons]
Phoenix (4.30 but earlier if poss)
Across the river (10 minute walk) to Slip Inn & Swan
Old Ebor, [Victoria Vaults],Golden Ball,
[Ackhorne], Brigantes and back to the York Tap.

There are buses from the station (get Plus Bus when you buy your train tickets) and from near the Maltings to get us to the starting point in Lawrence St. Any comments or suggestions?

ROBCamra
30-12-2014, 13:45
As we're in York and some people won't have been, would it not be an idea to have a York Brewery pub on the trail?

The Rook & Gaskill has been known not to open at 12 on a Friday despite what the opening hours say
as I've found out to my cost in the past. May be worth a phone call to confirm.

Having been to York 2 or 3 times per year for the last 25 years I suspect there may well be quite a bit of off piste for me.

Especially to some of the places that Ms CAMRA won't go in. :)

As a member of York Brewery club I may well have to have a half or two in there as well depending on what they've got on the bar. :cheers:

Bucking Fastard
30-12-2014, 14:49
Yes, starting at the Maltings may be a good idea, with the Tap for a swift half before leaving the station, and for a final one before the train home. The route I'm thinking of, and have discussed with OB, starts on Lawrence Street and visits several decent pubs that are only short walks apart.

My thinking is that the more touristy and popular pubs in the city centre are likely to be too crowded for a large group of us to suddenly descend upon. For example, the House of the Trembling madness has quite a low safety limit and we couldn't guarantee getting in; the Blue Ball is certain to refuse us entry if we all arrive at once. I would suggest that anyone who hasn't done York city centre should stay an extra day, Thursday or Saturday, to do them on their own or in a smaller group.

The route will need a bit of tweaking, for example the Phoenix doesn't open until 4.30pm, so if we agree to do the route I may try phoning or emailing the pub to ask if they wouldn't mind opening a little earlier for us. The approximate list (including wild cards [in brackets] for those who like going off piste) would be something like this:

York Tap
Maltings

There are buses from the station (get Plus Bus when you buy your train tickets) and from near the Maltings to get us to the starting point in Lawrence St. Any comments or suggestions?

That looks like a very good route and selection of pubs,and if as ROBCamra suggests a York brewery pub can be included on the way around,it seems to tick all the boxes.Point taken about the Blue Bell re.arriving en masse ,just wondering which pub on your itinerary is closest to the Blue Bell if a small groups wants to pop in,as I cannot stay overnight and would like to take a look in if possible.

Thanks also for the reminder to do PlusBus.

Al 10000
30-12-2014, 18:50

York Tap
Maltings

Yes is does look like a good list but only one new one on there for me to do,the York Tap.

Fridays are also a problem,this is my short working day only 5 hours but get paid for 8 because of the extra hours worked Mon to Thur,so i will never book a Friday off as an holiday,shame.

sheffield hatter
30-12-2014, 22:26
As we're in York and some people won't have been, would it not be an idea to have a York Brewery pub on the trail?

The Rook & Gaskill has been known not to open at 12 on a Friday despite what the opening hours say
as I've found out to my cost in the past. May be worth a phone call to confirm.

As a member of York Brewery club I may well have to have a half or two in there as well depending on what they've got on the bar. :cheers:

Good idea about the York Brewery pubs - unfortunately, according to their website (http://www.york-brewery.co.uk/), these are the Last Drop, the Three-Legged Mare and the Yorkshire Terrier: all situated in the heart of the tourist quarter! What about the Tap Room (http://www.york-brewery.co.uk/Pubs/The-Tap-Room) at the brewery itself, though? This appears to be (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/York+YO1+6JX/@53.9562735,-1.0905996,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x487931071b76aa4f:0xbf4d2c30f69be 6b1?hl=en) fairly close to Brigantes (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubmap/54329/) and could possibly be included towards the end of the route, or conceivably as an alternative start point - it's not far from the bus stop on Rougier St (about 5 mins walk according to Google Maps).

Thanks for the tip about the erratic opening at Rook & Gaskill - I'll add it to my To Do list.

Point taken about the Blue Bell re.arriving en masse ,just wondering which pub on your itinerary is closest to the Blue Bell if a small groups wants to pop in,as I cannot stay overnight and would like to take a look in if possible.

That would be the Phoenix (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubmap/43618/) - I make it about 8 to 10 minutes walk.

ROBCamra
31-12-2014, 10:59
Good idea about the York Brewery pubs - unfortunately, according to their website (http://www.york-brewery.co.uk/), these are the Last Drop, the Three-Legged Mare and the Yorkshire Terrier: all situated in the heart of the tourist quarter! What about the Tap Room (http://www.york-brewery.co.uk/Pubs/The-Tap-Room) at the brewery itself, though? This appears to be (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/York+YO1+6JX/@53.9562735,-1.0905996,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x487931071b76aa4f:0xbf4d2c30f69be 6b1?hl=en) fairly close to Brigantes (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubmap/54329/) and could possibly be included towards the end of the route, or conceivably as an alternative start point - it's not far from the bus stop on Rougier St (about 5 mins walk according to Google Maps).

That's the place I'm a member of.

It looks like they've had a change of plan.

It used to be members only plus people on brewery tours.

It now looks like it's open to all and us members just get a discount.

If it is open to all it should be added to the site. Lets see what happens on the day before adding it though. :cheers:

gillhalfpint
31-12-2014, 15:18
The Hop is an Osset / Rat /pub over the road from the Blue Bell.

Bucking Fastard
31-12-2014, 15:52
The Hop is an Osset / Rat /pub over the road from the Blue Bell.

So should the crawl visit The Hop and then hit the Blue Bell two at a time :D. Could be in The Hop for a while ;)

gillhalfpint
31-12-2014, 16:09
Just thought if you need to take turns getting into the Blue Bell, the Hop would be ideal.

oldboots
31-12-2014, 16:41
Just thought if you need to take turns getting into the Blue Bell, the Hop would be ideal.

There is also the chance of the Duke of York and Last Drop as waiting areas.

gillhalfpint
31-12-2014, 17:28
York is one of those places with too many waiting places lurking ready to trap you and keep you. Really hoping to make this one.

Gann
02-01-2015, 11:57
£13 seems the lowest from London Kings X..

Am on the 9.30AM out of Kings X and the 19.31PM return..

Seats are B21 on the way up and B11 on the way back if any fellow Londoners want to keep me company..

trainman
02-01-2015, 14:39

Above price is from East Coast Trains website.
thetrainline.com is charging £14.60 for the same seats, plus booking fee.
I've booked same times as Gann, so hopefully be ok to take that day off.

Strongers
02-01-2015, 16:27
I’m also booked onto the 09:30 King’s Cross with plus bus, £16 all in.

I’m going to make this an overnighter, but the return trains on Saturday are all £50+. Is this because the cheap fares have not been released yet for the Saturday?

If they are not going to budge from that price I will probably get a train down to Nottingham on Friday evening and stay there ready for a crawl of the area on Saturday. I really should have visited Ye Olde Trip by now!

Aqualung
02-01-2015, 19:53
I’m also booked onto the 09:30 King’s Cross with plus bus, £16 all in.

I’m going to make this an overnighter, but the return trains on Saturday are all £50+. Is this because the cheap fares have not been released yet for the Saturday?

Almost certainly, keep checking over the weekend. It's a chore grabbing the cheapest fares but well worth while as it gives you extra beer money!

rpadam
02-01-2015, 23:59
Yes - although the cheaper Friday tickets are now on sale, we may have to wait another week before the Advance tickets for the Saturday or Sunday come up.

ROBCamra
04-01-2015, 12:02

Am on the 9.30AM out of Kings X and the 19.31PM return..

Seats are B21 on the way up and B11 on the way back if any fellow Londoners want to keep me company..

This just sums up how pathetic rail comanies are.

I'm only travelling from Rochdale and it will cost me £22.60 return for about 60 miles.

Gann can get there from London for £3.40 more! :eek::muppet:

Strongers
04-01-2015, 12:16
It's ridiculous. .. I am paying £13 from King's Cross to York, but Eastbourne to London is just over £31 to make the connection. The train back from London to Eastbourne is £5.

Aqualung
04-01-2015, 12:58
It's ridiculous. .. I am paying £13 from King's Cross to York, but Eastbourne to London is just over £31 to make the connection. The train back from London to Eastbourne is £5.

The answer to that is simple you're going up to London in the morning peak so cheap advance tickets are not available. I bet there will be people standing long before Victoria. If it was a Saturday you would have no trouble getting the £5.00 tickets.

oldboots
04-01-2015, 13:34

Not just rail companies; 10 mile bus journey to nearest railway station £7, 16 mile rail journey to York £8.40 (off peak).

and there's no advance fares here, not on Northern Fail pal.

Strongers
04-01-2015, 14:04
The answer to that is simple you're going up to London in the morning peak so cheap advance tickets are not available. I bet there will be people standing long before Victoria. If it was a Saturday you would have no trouble getting the £5.00 tickets.

True.... maybe we should do these crawls on Saturdays!

rpadam
04-01-2015, 14:12
But generally longer journey times and/or fewer train services plus risk of engineering works and rail-replacement bus services...

Mobyduck
04-01-2015, 21:30

The Friday will cost me £42.30 return from base to Kings cross, on a Saturday it drops to £25.30, had there been a choice I would have picked a Saturday.

sheffield hatter
04-01-2015, 21:39

I'm only travelling from Rochdale and it will cost me £22.60 return for about 60 miles.

Gann can get there from London for £3.40 more! :eek::muppet:

Similar for me - the so-called cheap advance fares from Sheffield to York are not much less than the cost of a day return. The last time I went to York (Nov'14), the cheapest fares were £6.70 (before railcard discount) now they are £9.60. An off-peak day return is £20, so what's the point of getting the advance ticket?

hondo
05-01-2015, 10:43
East Coast have held a January seat sale in recent years, so that may be worth looking out for (although I've not seen anything yet; and, it does happen, it may not extend far enough into March to help some of us).
http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/special-offers/deals/big-sale/

Mobyduck
05-01-2015, 21:44
http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/special-offers/deals/big-sale/

Result :) Kings Cross/York £5.00 each way plus £3.00 for plus bus, so should be attending, all things being equal, along with Big Steve.

Bucking Fastard
05-01-2015, 22:21
The Friday will cost me £42.30 return from base to Kings cross, on a Saturday it drops to £25.30, had there been a choice I would have picked a Saturday.

Maybe a poll should be taken not only for the venue of future crawls but also for the dates that PuGers prefer.

ROBCamra
05-01-2015, 22:33
Maybe a poll should be taken not only for the venue of future crawls but also for the dates that PuGers prefer.

We did that a couple of crawls ago.

I remember because I said if it's changed to a Saturday I won't be able to attend another one.:(

trainman
05-01-2015, 23:07
Result :) Kings Cross/York £5.00 each way.
Nice! You win the York bargain-hunt, Moby. I wonder if I can cancel my £26rtn & rebook... (ok callers, I know about cxl fees)

sheffield hatter
05-01-2015, 23:22
...if it's changed to a Saturday I won't be able to attend another one.:(

I'm in much the same position, though to be fair there are also people who say they can't make Fridays at all. Perhaps we should be organising two-day crawls, take your pick?

trainman
05-01-2015, 23:32
if it's changed to a Saturday I won't be able to attend another one.:(
from the lucky member who doesn't, currently, have to book holiday during the week.
Does your w-end calendar immediately fill up from 01Jan ROB..?

ROBCamra
06-01-2015, 07:57
from the lucky member who doesn't, currently, have to book holiday during the week.
Does your w-end calendar immediately fill up from 01Jan ROB..?

Another person, who does have to book holidays during the week, books up my Saturdays. :p

oldboots
06-01-2015, 16:42
A bit of information that may have some bearing on our itinerary:

York CAMRA retweeted
Woolpack Inn York ‏@WoolpackInnYork Jan 5

It's winter. We open 5:30pm Mon-Fri until Easter. Come say hello @YorkCAMRA #Yorkbeer

Wittenden
06-01-2015, 18:09
Not sure when your crawl is scheduled, but East coast Trains have just announced a seat sale.£5 London-York. Wish I could join you!

Mobyduck
06-01-2015, 18:24
Not sure when your crawl is scheduled, but East coast Trains have just announced a seat sale.£5 London-York. Wish I could join you!

There were only seven tickets at that price left when I bagged 2 last night.

sheffield hatter
06-01-2015, 22:35
A bit of information that may have some bearing on our itinerary:
Woolpack Inn York ‏
We open 5:30pm Mon-Fri until Easter.

That's another spanner thrown into the works. As you know, I was including the Woolpack on the basis of their 3pm opening time.

Quinno
07-01-2015, 00:34
This thread has gone faster than I could keep up with - are we settled on March 27th?? I can probably do this for about £40 but need to get in quick.

Mobyduck
07-01-2015, 06:24
This thread has gone faster than I could keep up with - are we settled on March 27th??
Yes.

Al 10000
07-01-2015, 17:14
Another person, who does have to book holidays during the week, books up my Saturdays. :p

Every Saturday,are you under the thumb.

Bucking Fastard
07-01-2015, 18:23
Sadly I am going to miss out on this crawl.A family celebration has unexpectedly been arranged for the same day,and it's something I dont want to miss,however great the crawl around York is likely to be.

I also now feel bad about banging on about the Blue Bell,so why not go back to plan A and avoid the touristy area.If the Blue Bell doesn't want to accomodate an esteemed bunch of crawlers from PuG ,it's their loss.

Have a great tour of the city.

Mobyduck
07-01-2015, 18:26
Sadly I am going to miss out on this crawl.
That's a shame.

Real Ale Ray
07-01-2015, 18:31
Sadly I am going to miss out on this crawl.A family celebration has unexpectedly been arranged for the same day,and it's something I dont want to miss,however great the crawl around York is likely to be.

I also now feel bad about banging on about the Blue Bell,so why not go back to plan A and avoid the touristy area.If the Blue Bell doesn't want to accomodate an esteemed bunch of crawlers from PuG ,it's their loss.

Have a great tour of the city.

That's a real shame BF, always look forward to meeting up with you on the crawls. Hopefully see you on the next one.

Bucking Fastard
07-01-2015, 18:48
That's a real shame BF, always look forward to meeting up with you on the crawls. Hopefully see you on the next one.

You can count on it :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

aleandhearty
07-01-2015, 19:03
Sadly I am going to miss out on this crawl.

That's a real shame BF, was hoping to catch up on this one. We'll toast your health with something decent on the day.

Quinno
08-01-2015, 14:04
OK I'm in - going to make a few days of it. Arriving Thursday 14.47 and departing Saturday at 13.56. Grand Central still have some sensibly-priced tickets available - £34.40 for the two returns from Kings X. Amusingly enough it'll probably cost me 2/3 of that to simply get from Reading to Kings X to start with. C'est la vie!

Any recommendations for cheap and cheerful accommodation in York? £39 a night at the Premier Inn on Blossom St

ROBCamra
08-01-2015, 14:13
Any recommendations for cheap and cheerful accommodation in York?

York doesn't do cheap and cheerful. Even the Travelodges are £50+ per night.

You could try here though http://www.lighthorseman.co.uk/

Not stayed ourselevs but a friend said it was nice enough.

Quinno
08-01-2015, 14:28
York doesn't do cheap and cheerful. Even the Travelodges are £50+ per night.

You could try here though http://www.lighthorseman.co.uk/

Not stayed ourselevs but a friend said it was nice enough.

£39 at Blossom St Premier Inn - looks like I'll book that then!!

Pubsignman
08-01-2015, 15:28
£39 at Blossom St Premier Inn - looks like I'll book that then!!

I'm booked in there for the Friday night - it was the cheapest central hotel I could find.

oldboots
08-01-2015, 15:56
any coincidence ?

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/yorkshire-is-home-to-more-beer-drinkers-1-7039139

Quinno
08-01-2015, 18:59
I'm booked in there for the Friday night - it was the cheapest central hotel I could find.

See you in Spoons for brekky on Saturday morning then?! ;)

Pubsignman
08-01-2015, 23:58
See you in Spoons for brekky on Saturday morning then?! ;)

z

Strongers
09-01-2015, 21:18
The Central York Premier Inn is now £94 for the Friday night - Damn the popularity of the biannual PuG beano!

I've booked into the north west Premier Inn (£39) which looks like a short cab ride from the town centre.

I'm booked on a train back to King's Cross at around 17:00 on the Saturday so hopefully I will work my way around some central 'tourist' pubs that afternoon.

Spoons breakfast in the morn sounds good!!!

rpadam
10-01-2015, 00:30
The Central York Premier Inn is now £94 for the Friday night - Damn the popularity of the biannual PuG beano!

I've booked into the north west Premier Inn (£39) which looks like a short cab ride from the town centre.

I'm booked on a train back to King's Cross at around 17:00 on the Saturday so hopefully I will work my way around some central 'tourist' pubs that afternoon.

Spoons breakfast in the morn sounds good!!!
Missed the decent price, so off to the Harrogate Travelodge for the night!

ROBCamra
10-01-2015, 00:44

Oh dear! I hope you're going to be pissed because Lure is underneath and is open until about 4.

Strongers
10-01-2015, 01:19
Oh dear! I hope you're going to be pissed because Lure is underneath and is open until about 4.

Pubs Galore does Lure?!!

oldboots
10-01-2015, 09:21

and Major Toms is across the road if you want a decent drink.....

see you on the train.

oldboots
19-01-2015, 09:20
this one is on the provisional list

http://www.yorkmix.com/food-drink/york-pubs-and-beer/york-pub-named-best-historic-hotel-in-britain/

sheffield hatter
19-01-2015, 22:18
this one is on the provisional list

http://www.yorkmix.com/food-drink/york-pubs-and-beer/york-pub-named-best-historic-hotel-in-britain/

Yes, this is one of three on Lawrence Street within a stone's throw of each other. The beer range is less extensive here and I found the service a bit impersonal, compared with the other two, but still worth a visit, I think.

Mobyduck
21-01-2015, 09:42
For the record I will be arriving in York at 10:32 along with Big Steve and departing 18:57.

Dave M
30-01-2015, 21:43
Right, me and Tammy are definitely making this one! Looking forward to my first visit to York since I was 11 years old! Will be staying a couple of nights to investigate a bit.

Mobyduck
30-01-2015, 22:04
Just been recommended as worth a look by none other than Mr chemical fizz himself (for those in the know ;)) The House Of Trembling Madness (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/72245/) ! Mixed reviews on here, is it on route and worth a look? 10 out of 10 for the name.

Pubsignman
30-01-2015, 23:50
Just been recommended as worth a look by none other than Mr chemical fizz himself (for those in the know ;)) The House Of Trembling Madness (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/72245/) ! Mixed reviews on here, is it on route and worth a look? 10 out of 10 for the name.
I'm sure others will have their views, but for me this is more a curiosity than a must do. Seeing as our crawl generally skirts the city centre, you'll need to detour slightly to get there. I love it as a bottle shop and quite like it for the bar (think Beer Emporium, Bristol for less quirky equivalent - only two hand pumps here though). If you're really keen to pick up quality Yorkshire bottled beers, go for it. Otherwise, stay with the main crawl and if you want some bottles to take home, you can always grab a few at the York Brewery Tap.

Mobyduck
31-01-2015, 07:02
I'm sure others will have their views, but for me this is more a curiosity than a must do. Seeing as our crawl generally skirts the city centre, you'll need to detour slightly to get there. I love it as a bottle shop and quite like it for the bar (think Beer Emporium, Bristol for less quirky equivalent - only two hand pumps here though). If you're really keen to pick up quality Yorkshire bottled beers, go for it. Otherwise, stay with the main crawl and if you want some bottles to take home, you can always grab a few at the York Brewery Tap.
Thanks ,I'll stick with the main crawl.

oldboots
31-01-2015, 10:02
, is it on route and worth a look?

No and Yes, even if Mr CF recommends it. it isn't very big so not one for a mass visit.

sheffield hatter
05-02-2015, 23:22
I've now heard from the three pubs on my proposed route which had doubts about their opening times. These have now been resolved: the Rook and Gaskill say they will definitely be open at 12 noon, the Woolpack are in fact opening at 1pm that Friday, though their normal time is 5pm winter and 3pm from Easter, and the Phoenix say they will open early for us as long as the new owners have not made any changes that would prevent it, like sacking all the present staff.

I have therefore done a detailed route with options for those who like to go a little off-piste, but also so that anyone who is planning to get to York a day early, or to stay a day later, can make their own plans to take in the pubs we won't be doing on the Friday. Please see the attached document. Comments are still welcome, and it's quite easy to make changes as there are still several weeks to go until the off.

Cheers

Mobyduck
06-02-2015, 06:36
I've now heard from the three pubs on my proposed route which had doubts about their opening times. These have now been resolved: the Rook and Gaskill say they will definitely be open at 12 noon, the Woolpack are in fact opening at 1pm that Friday, though their normal time is 5pm winter and 3pm from Easter, and the Phoenix say they will open early for us as long as the new owners have not made any changes that would prevent it, like sacking all the present staff.

I have therefore done a detailed route with options for those who like to go a little off-piste, but also so that anyone who is planning to get to York a day early, or to stay a day later, can make their own plans to take in the pubs we won't be doing on the Friday. Please see the attached document. Comments are still welcome, and it's quite easy to make changes as there are still several weeks to go until the off.

Cheers

Anyone know a good cafe for breakfast near the station rather than the spoons?

Rex_Rattus
06-02-2015, 08:39
Just in case anyone's compiling a list of attendees, I'm in. For a change, and because she likes York, will be accompanied by Mrs R. Staying over til Sun. With Mrs R there, will probably have chance to visit no more than a dozen or so pubs on the Friday. See you in March.

sheffield hatter
06-02-2015, 11:30
List of confirmed attendees:

Dave M & Tammy
Sheffield Hatter & Catia
Mobyduck & Big Steve
Rex Rattus and Mrs Rat
Quinno
Pubsignman
Strongers
RP Adam
Ale & Hearty
Old Boots
ROB Camra
Trainman
Gann

Not specifically confirmed but clearly interested:
Real Ale Ray & Fiona
An ecumenical matter
ETA
Gill Halfpint & Ray

I make that 17 definites and another six on the possible/probable spectrum. Anyone that I've missed?

trainman
06-02-2015, 12:37
BF?
And what's happened to Roger and Clive? Completely fallen off the radar...
If you see this chaps, hope all is ok with you.

Maldenman
06-02-2015, 13:16
I'm looking to attend but I fear I may have missed the best train and hotel deals now, will do some research later.

sheffield hatter
06-02-2015, 13:17
BF?

... and Soup Dragon?

(BF was going to attend but a family event clashed so he's had to give it a miss.)

gillhalfpint
06-02-2015, 14:12
I am very sorry, but much as we would love to be with you on this one, I am afraid it is going to be a bit too much for Ray at the moment. We will be with you in spirit, and look forward to hearing about your adventures up there.

Al 10000
06-02-2015, 18:10
Yes, this is one of three on Lawrence Street within a stone's throw of each other. The beer range is less extensive here and I found the service a bit impersonal, compared with the other two, but still worth a visit, I think.

The full Alan Winfield: add seven wild cards (plus York Tap twice) for 21 pubs in total.

You should know by now Will i never revisit pubs when on a pub crawl,unless i am very short on new pubs to do.

I have also upped my game on the last two crawls having done 22 pubs,this is probably the Christmas effect,having drunk lots of beer over Christmas i am able to do more pubs without getting too drunk:D:drinkup::nishelypished:

ETA
06-02-2015, 18:25
Real Ale Ray & Fiona
An ecumenical matter
ETA
Gill Halfpint & Ray

I make that 17 definites and another six on the possible/probable spectrum. Anyone that I've missed?

It's not looking promising, but the date is in my diary in case I do manage to get there.

sheffield hatter
06-02-2015, 18:30
The full Alan Winfield: add seven wild cards (plus York Tap twice) for 21 pubs in total.

You should know by now Will i never revisit pubs when on a pub crawl,unless i am very short on new pubs to do.

I have also upped my game on the last two crawls having done 22 pubs,this is probably the Christmas effect,having drunk lots of beer over Christmas i am able to do more pubs without getting too drunk:D:drinkup::nishelypished:

I wrote that a few weeks ago, Al - should have updated it after I saw you had done 22 on your recent crawls.

I don't know how you do it. :notworthy:

Mobyduck
06-02-2015, 20:57
BF?

Paul of Horsham has also been noticeable by his absence of late. And what of Oggwyn Trench?

Maldenman
11-02-2015, 21:53
Right, I'm in, all booked up, staying two nights, well it is my birthday weekend. A bit more than I intended spending but after the shock of the price of the Premier Inns found the Ibis at half the price. See you there!

Blackthorn
12-02-2015, 22:15
Right, I'm in, all booked up, staying two nights, well it is my birthday weekend. A bit more than I intended spending but after the shock of the price of the Premier Inns found the Ibis at half the price. See you there!

My birthday weekend as well! Myself and Mrs B. will be there, staying until Monday. Due to the timings of reasonably priced trains from Bristol though, we probably won't be joining you all until around 3:00pm.

Maldenman
12-02-2015, 22:18
My birthday weekend as well! Myself and Mrs B. will be there, staying until Monday. Due to the timings of reasonably priced trains from Bristol though, we probably won't be joining you all until around 3:00pm.

I'm doing Thursday to Saturday although I'll be back home for my actual birthday on Sunday. Planning a bit of sightseeing and culture on Thursday pm with the possibility of a pub or six in the evening.

sheffield hatter
12-02-2015, 22:48
Updated list of confirmed attendees:

Dave M & Tammy
Sheffield Hatter & Catia
Mobyduck & Big Steve
Rex Rattus and Mrs Rat
Quinno
Pubsignman
Strongers
RP Adam
Ale & Hearty
Old Boots
ROB Camra
Trainman
Gann
Maldenman
Blackthorn & Mrs B

Real Ale Ray & Fiona
An ecumenical matter
ETA

I make that 20 definites and another four on the possible/probable spectrum. Anyone else?

Real Ale Ray
22-02-2015, 17:46

Real Ale Ray & Fiona
An ecumenical matter
ETA

I make that 20 definites and another four on the possible/probable spectrum. Anyone else?

Yes we'll be there, look forward to seeing you all!

oldboots
10-03-2015, 18:42
A bit of news that may have an impact;

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11844775.Award_winning_York_pub_is_sold/

sheffield hatter
11-03-2015, 22:58
A bit of news that may have an impact;

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11844775.Award_winning_York_pub_is_sold/

I already knew about this, and was assured that this was unlikely to have an impact on our crawl - in particular, my request for the pub being open a little earlier to accommodate us. I'll confirm this in the next few days.

hondo
18-03-2015, 06:41
"is older and Grade II listed, while the Pavement end is an extension from the Edwardian era"
http://www.yorkmix.com/food-drink/inside-yorks-newest-bar-a-modern-revival-of-a-golden-era/
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82825/

next to
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43505/

trainman
18-03-2015, 08:30
'long run of cask beers...'
Not sure those photographed will be cask - unless served by Scottish dispense?
I note the pie tag at the end - £1.65 somewhere in York market - may be a life saver..!

trainman
18-03-2015, 13:27
Being lazy - what's the best value accom found by those staying before, or after, the Friday?
Dangerously, I now hear that I have friends visiting Sheffield the following day... :eek:
Cheers, j

oldboots
22-03-2015, 19:34
If anyone is in the York area on Thursday night and fancies something different, there is a Meet the Brewer night with Kirkstall at the Harrogate Tap (platform 1 Harrogate station) last direct train to York is sadly at 21:05 but there's a change at Leeds train at 21:45.

an_ecumenical_matter
22-03-2015, 23:12
I'm booked in the Lenny Henry hotel in Doncaster Thursday night so I can be fresh for Friday in the field.

Jim- probably a bit late but it was £44, nothing in York came close to that.

Strongers
23-03-2015, 07:59
Being lazy - what's the best value accom found by those staying before, or after, the Friday?
Dangerously, I now hear that I have friends visiting Sheffield the following day... :eek:
Cheers, j

I think Quinno snapped up the last cheap central York hotel room. I'm up in the Travelpremierlodgeinn to the North West of York. I think I remember someone had to book a hotel in Harrogate because there were no cheap deals left. The popularity of the PuG crawl continues to amaze!

trainman
23-03-2015, 12:44
Thanks Mark, Steve. I did consider making the travel to Sheff on the fri eve and staying there, but now sounds like the Mancs are not crossing t'Pennines after all, so it may be just the Friday for me, mercifully!

Quinno
23-03-2015, 13:46
Do we have an itinerary for the day yet?

As I arrive on the Thursday afternoon I'd like to tick a few extras, but might well take a trip out to somewhere - Harrogate or Darlington look like decent shouts in terms of travel time and ease of tick...

oldboots
23-03-2015, 14:33
Do we have an itinerary for the day yet?

As I arrive on the Thursday afternoon I'd like to tick a few extras, but might well take a trip out to somewhere - Harrogate or Darlington look like decent shouts in terms of travel time and ease of tick...

see #100

and #122 if you like, RPAdam is also in Harrogate on Thursday but I don't know when. Give me a bell if you decide on Harrogate.

Quinno
23-03-2015, 15:27
see #100

and #122 if you like, RPAdam is also in Harrogate on Thursday but I don't know when. Give me a bell if you decide on Harrogate.

Ah thanks - must have had my eyes shut when I went trawling earlier :o

I think I will go for Harrogate over Darlo as I never quite managed it in the years I had my pub/cat-sitting holiday in Dronfield, despite it being on the original my hit-list. So it'd be nice to say I've been. I (should) arrive York at 14.47 so I'd hope to be ready to get the 16.11 out. The 21.05 back is the last fast train which means I can then disembark and tick off the Bluebell in York itself, wobbly legs/fuzzy head permitting. I'll give you a buzz on the day :)

Anyone else who fancies hooking-up, let me know...

ROBCamra
23-03-2015, 16:03
For those who may be going "off piste" over the weekend in York or staying in Donny like AEM

Don't forget your CAMRA card. There's loads of places give discounts, but not on our core route.

I'll be on the train with a plus walk ticket.

It's only about 12 - 15 minutes from The Maltings To The Rook, so I'll be getting some exercise.

The buses are every 10 minutes or so and go all around the houses,
so with bad timing on getting to Rougier Street I could get there before you. :evilgrin:

Plus there's the option of a slight detour to Sutlers Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82825/) for a look on the way,
which means you'll definitely get there before me. :p

aleandhearty
23-03-2015, 16:16
Just had a look a the BBC long range weather forecast, for Friday. Unfortunately, they're talking about thick cloud and heavy rain, at the moment. If that's the case, I'm sure those stronger, darker warming brews will come into their own.

rpadam
23-03-2015, 17:56
Something odd happened to my hotel reservation and I am now staying in York on the Friday (and Leeds on Saturday).

Mobyduck
23-03-2015, 19:00

Dave M & Tammy
Sheffield Hatter & Catia
Mobyduck & Big Steve
Rex Rattus and Mrs Rat
Quinno
Pubsignman
Strongers
RP Adam
Ale & Hearty
Old Boots
ROB Camra
Trainman
Gann
Maldenman
Blackthorn & Mrs B

Real Ale Ray & Fiona
An ecumenical matter
ETA

So to date it appears we will be 23 strong on the day,a decent turn out.

sheffield hatter
25-03-2015, 10:38
I'll be on the train with a plus walk ticket.

It's only about 12 - 15 minutes from The Maltings To The Rook, so I'll be getting some exercise.

The buses are every 10 minutes or so and go all around the houses,
so with bad timing on getting to Rougier Street I could get there before you. :evilgrin:

I agree that it's certainly walkable, but Google maps suggests that it's an 18 minute walk (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/53.9594402,-1.0879225/53.9549819,-1.0700489/@53.9570095,-1.0787001,16z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2?hl=en).

Just had a look a the BBC long range weather forecast, for Friday. Unfortunately, they're talking about thick cloud and heavy rain, at the moment. If that's the case, I'm sure those stronger, darker warming brews will come into their own.

The weather forecast is looking more favourable for walking now, with no rain expected and temperatures up to 9C.

Plus there's the option of a slight detour to Sutlers Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82825/) for a look on the way, which means you'll definitely get there before me. :p

This one needs its photo taking, so don't forget your camera.

Quinno
25-03-2015, 23:06
So a quick question - I know we're missing out the Blue Bell because of size/pub crawlers not welcome issues...are there any others not on the itinerary that are also off for similar reasons? I ask as I have Thursday night and a small sliver of Saturday afternoon in which to bag them....

hondo
26-03-2015, 07:18
looking forward to reading the reviews

sheffield hatter
26-03-2015, 08:15
So a quick question - I know we're missing out the Blue Bell because of size/pub crawlers not welcome issues...are there any others not on the itinerary that are also off for similar reasons? I ask as I have Thursday night and a small sliver of Saturday afternoon in which to bag them....

Almost anything in the city centre, really. My favourites would include the Minster, the Three-Legged Mare, the Yorkshire terrier. Doubtless others can put forward their own fancies. Or you could try my Goodramgate crawl (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/crawl/viewcrawl.php?crawl=842). I did it in an hour - see if you can do it any quicker!

Dave M
26-03-2015, 11:03
looking forward to reading the reviews

Are you not tempted to join us? :cheers:

ETA
26-03-2015, 22:14
Have a good one, chaps - sadly I won't be able to join you, but I shall definitely be with you in spirit.

hondo
27-03-2015, 08:50
Are you not tempted to join us? :cheers:

asocial and still trying to pass the Turing Test :confused:

Dave M
27-03-2015, 09:28
asocial and still trying to pass the Turing Test :confused:

Love that quote! May have to use it myself sometime.

I'm still going to be on the lookout for anyone we don't know who happens to be in all the same pubs as us. :ninja:

Quinno
27-03-2015, 09:53
Beautiful day here in York! Punch Bowl for Spoons brekky!

sheffield hatter
27-03-2015, 10:33
Unfortunately I can't join you today. The cold I was getting over has suddenly turned into a chest infection and sinusitis. Being the obstinate type - some might say just downright stupid - I set off anyway, but soon realised I didn't even have the strength to make it to the station, never mind a dozen pubs in York.

Hope you all have a great day out. See you next time.

Mobyduck
27-03-2015, 10:44
Unfortunately I can't join you today. The cold I was getting over has suddenly turned into a chest infection and sinusitis. Being the obstinate type - some might say just downright stupid - I set off anyway, but soon realised I didn't even have the strength to make it to the station, never mind a dozen pubs in York.

Sorry to here that Will,hope your better soon.
Now in cafe opposite Punchbowl.

Strongers
27-03-2015, 10:52
That's a shame Will, hopefully see you on the next one!

I'm in the stag do carriage that's just left Newark.

Dave M
27-03-2015, 11:49
Already in the maltings, we've got a little section to ourselves

fatherjack
27-03-2015, 21:20

Hope you're ok Will. A glass was raised in tribute to your absence !!!!

We never got a bus (you owe Trainman 3 quid ha ha ha ! ) but the pubs were excellent. Ray Jacinta me and variable others did splinter trips and by the time we were finished there was not even any wood left let alone splinters !!!!

All in all one of the best jollys !!! Thanks all.

Now its up to someone to wake me up at Bristol. Mind you it's closer from the depot to my flat so if it all goes wrong its a shorter walk home.

Mobyduck
28-03-2015, 00:00
Just got through my front door after sitting on the train for an extra hour and a quarter due to a signal failure at Stevenage, still better than on the way up I suppose.
A great day out and almost did a a three quarter Alan Winfield with fifteen pubs visited.

Mobyduck
28-03-2015, 07:02
Hope you're ok Will. A glass was raised in tribute to your absence !!!!

We never got a bus (you owe Trainman 3 quid ha ha ha ! ) but the pubs were excellent.

All in all one of the best jollys !!! Thanks all.

Yes well done Will, shame you couldn't enjoy the fruits of your labours. Of the 15 pubs I managed, only three I would probably miss out next time, namely The Rose And Crown, Edinburgh Arms and The Masons Arms (although the food was alright), I'd even have a look in The Seahorse Hotel again,nice pub but I still say OBB is crap. :D Myself and Big Steve did catch the bus so £6.00 you've saved there.
But seriously a good day out ,thanks everyone.

trainman
28-03-2015, 09:07
Yep, spiffing to see everyone again, hope you're back in the game soon Will.
11 or 12 for me, I think, a half in the Victoria countered by 1.5 in R&G.
Delayed by >50mins, probs around Peterborough(?), home midnight, woke up 02:00 on cold hard kitchen floor, not done that for a while. Good luck to all those carrying on today.

Who has the weighty responsibility of posting the group shot..?

fatherjack
28-03-2015, 09:24
Just got through my front door after sitting on the train for an extra hour and a quarter due to a signal failure at Stevenage, still better than on the way up I suppose.
A great day out and almost did a a three quarter Alan Winfield with fifteen pubs visited.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y62158/2015/03/27/advanced

Jim's train for example. He gets back half his ticket. You said over an hour- you get the full price of a single or half a return..... get sending in.
30 – 59 minutes : We will pay you compensation to the value of 50% of the cost of your single ticket or 50% of the cost of the relevant portion* of your return ticket.
• 60 – 119 minutes : We will pay you compensation to the value of 100% of the cost of your single ticket or 100% of the cost of the relevant portion* of your return ticket.

It's lucky I bought a ticket and went direct to Bristol when I did. Had I gone via London (for free) I would have gotten in at 0145 vice 2335......

Mobyduck
28-03-2015, 09:28
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y62158/2015/03/27/advanced

Jim's train for example. He gets back half his ticket. You said over an hour- you get the full price of a single or half a return..... get sending in.
30 – 59 minutes : We will pay you compensation to the value of 50% of the cost of your single ticket or 50% of the cost of the relevant portion* of your return ticket.
• 60 – 119 minutes : We will pay you compensation to the value of 100% of the cost of your single ticket or 100% of the cost of the relevant portion* of your return ticket.

It's lucky I bought a ticket and went direct to Bristol when I did. Had I gone via London (for free) I would have gotten in at 0145 vice 2335......

Fortunately at the time got very cheap tickets £5 eachway, unfortunately now I guess I get a fiver back. Oh well another pint I suppose.

oldboots
28-03-2015, 09:29
Photo's from yesterday, sadly none of the lovely couple met in the Swan

sheffield hatter
28-03-2015, 09:34
Glad to see you made it to the Phoenix.

Mobyduck
28-03-2015, 09:42
Just a couple of photos.
Big Steve must have had a bad pint in the last one!

Real Ale Ray
28-03-2015, 10:03
Sorry you couldn't make it yesterday Will. You still could have sent Catia up to York and I would have kept her entertained all day:evilgrin: It's always great to catch up with everyone and yesterday was another great PG crawl.

Going to Otley today, weather not as good as yesterday, as it's raining now here in Leeds. Looking forward to a roam around Huddersfield tomorrow, if my liver lasts out...

ROBCamra
28-03-2015, 11:09
Despite rumours to the contrary The Victoria Vaults (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43704/) was open at 18:30
on my way back to the station.

Didn't bother to call in though.

aleandhearty
29-03-2015, 14:30
For some reason, I didn't feel like a highly tuned athlete yesterday! However, I'd belatedly just like to say how much I enjoyed Friday and catching up with everyone. It was particularly good to finally meet Rex, Moby, Maldenman and Blackthorn and refreshing to see a handful of partners tagging along, also. Not even the best efforts of the spiteful, Daily Mail reading puff adder and her pompous blowhard of a husband, encountered in The Swan, could take the edge off a fabulous day. Roll on, Derby.

Delboy20
29-03-2015, 18:35
OK so that's 2 references to the "couple met in the Swan"

There must be a story here .... anyone ????

Bucking Fastard
29-03-2015, 22:12
Roll on, Derby.

Sadly I had to miss out on York,which sounded excellent.

Was there a growing consensus on Derby next ? Would suit me.

Mobyduck
29-03-2015, 22:42

First Iv'e heard of it but ditto.

aleandhearty
30-03-2015, 09:04

First Iv'e heard of it but ditto.

Towards the end of Friday, thoughts were naturally turning to the next bash and Derby was mentioned as a strong contender (in Brigantes?). Nothing cast in stone, though. I'm sure it will debated first, regarding geographical fairness.

aleandhearty
30-03-2015, 09:21
OK so that's 2 references to the "couple met in the Swan"

There must be a story here .... anyone ????

Until we reached The Swan, we'd had no trouble whatsoever. In fact, we were warmly welcomed pretty much everywhere. However, this one couple took real objection to a large group descending on their local, during peak time. They were deeply unpleasant and insulting and just wouldn't let it drop. Dave and I tried to explain the ethos of the site and the fact that we celebrated pubs, but they were having none of it. Even when we unleashed 'old boots', who loves a good argument, they carried on ranting and raving. As most of us were outside a considerable amount of beer at this stage we were able to laugh it off, but it could have spoiled a fabulous day.

trainman
30-03-2015, 13:09
Well, glad I didn't run into that pair of charmers after 10 pints! Ok, ok, they may have thought the same...

Re Derby: we're heading there 09May :drinkup:

Real Ale Ray
30-03-2015, 17:39
Couple of photos from Friday, taken in the Golden Ball

sheffield hatter
30-03-2015, 17:42
Couple of photos from Friday, taken in the Golden Ball

Had you guys been drinking, by any chance?

Maldenman
30-03-2015, 18:40
Pretty sure I didn't go in The Golden Ball, have no notes or photos, was it an off-piste pub?

I have to say that was a cracking few days with some amazing pubs, I'm sure York needs another visit to top my current selection up. Thanks to all involved in organising it and sorry Will couldn't make it. Back to work tomorrow, how crap is that?

oldboots
30-03-2015, 18:52
Pretty sure I didn't go in The Golden Ball, have no notes or photos, was it an off-piste pub?

At the back end of the crawl we visited the Swan, the Slip then a walk to the Golden Ball as we missed out the Old Ebor partly due to trains to catch. After the Golden Ball we headed for the Ackhorne, walked past the end of the lane but luckily bumped into Rex and Mrs Rat (I think) before going back into the Ackhorne. Then a number of us went to Brigantes for food but ended up in the Punchbowl as the wait was a bit long. Hope that helps jog some memories, I often find the end of these events gets a bit hazy even missing the station on one occasion due to "haziness".

Maldenman
30-03-2015, 19:46
At the back end of the crawl we visited the Swan, the Slip then a walk to the Golden Ball as we missed out the Old Ebor partly due to trains to catch. After the Golden Ball we headed for the Ackhorne, walked past the end of the lane but luckily bumped into Rex and Mrs Rat (I think) before going back into the Ackhorne. Then a number of us went to Brigantes for food but ended up in the Punchbowl as the wait was a bit long. Hope that helps jog some memories, I often find the end of these events gets a bit hazy even missing the station on one occasion due to "haziness".

That might have involved me as I bumped into Dave and Tammy and a few others, possibly you OB on Micklegate but by then Rex and Marian had bailed out. Stopped in the Ackhorne then went to Brigantes. I don't think I spoke to you or got introduced OB, unless I'm mistaken.

Rex_Rattus
30-03-2015, 22:18
That might have involved me as I bumped into Dave and Tammy and a few others, possibly you OB on Micklegate but by then Rex and Marian had bailed out. Stopped in the Ackhorne then went to Brigantes. I don't think I spoke to you or got introduced OB, unless I'm mistaken.

Yes, predictably quite confused by then. Marian and I hadn't bailed out yet, as I remember meeting Dave and Co coming the other way. Although Maldenman didn't know who he was with, or who he had spoken to, it is quite impressive that he was able to lead us all to the alleyway where the Ackhorne was located with unerring accuracy!

Mobyduck
30-03-2015, 22:25
Myself and Big Steve went to the Golden Ball,It was on the list, and we were a little ahead of the main crowd,it was busy and only seemed to have one barperson active at the time and time itself was pressing at this point, and I did want to get to Brigantes, so after queuing for two minutes and no progress sadly had to move on without a drink,it looked a nice pub.

Mobyduck
30-03-2015, 22:29
Yes, predictably quite confused by then. Marian and I hadn't bailed out yet, as I remember meeting Dave and Co coming the other way. Although Maldenman didn't know who he was with, or who he had spoken to, it is quite impressive that he was able to lead us all to the alleyway where the Ackhorne was located with unerring accuracy!

It must be some sort of sixth sense! :D :drinkup:

hondo
31-03-2015, 08:29
Enjoying reading the reviews/reports eg Bay Horse (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43486/) :nishelypished: . Disappointing to hear about the hassle in The Swan maybe years of stag/hen and racing groups had soured the couple but prejudice ain't clever and "we're a' Jock Tamson's bairns efter a'".

oldboots
31-03-2015, 18:40
Disappointing to hear about the hassle in The Swan maybe years of stag/hen and racing groups had soured the couple but prejudice ain't clever and "we're a' Jock Tamson's bairns efter a'".

From what I understood of their rant there were two problems,

firstly they didn't like seventy people invading their pub and forcing the locals to flee into the garden (I'm not sure who the other 50 people were but I didn't see them and the odd couple changed the subject when I pointed out there were about 20 of us).

secondly we weren't absorbing the proper atmosphere of the pub, we brought our our atmosphere with us ( I have a certain sympathy with this view but not much).

Anyway I thanked them for their warm hospitality as we left and wondered what professional help they ought to be seeking.

trainman
31-03-2015, 22:23
70! The PG snowball rolls on..!

Strongers
01-04-2015, 20:28
70! The PG snowball rolls on..!

We're big time now don't you know!

Quinno
29-04-2015, 19:48
Some time later, here are some snaps of the day...12071208120912101211121212131214

Strongers
29-04-2015, 20:01
:D;)

oldboots
30-04-2015, 08:23
Nice snaps, where's that rather gothic looking pub in the last picture?

Quinno
30-04-2015, 11:15
Nice snaps, where's that rather gothic looking pub in the last picture?

City centre - popped in in but it was full of cross-dressers!

trainman
30-04-2015, 13:34
:D;)
I don't wanna ask about pic2 Steve, but it evidently brought back fine memories...