PDA

View Full Version : A Visit of all Pubs in Otley

Al 10000
09-11-2014, 16:29
I decided on last Friday night to do all pubs in Otley,a town i have heard good words about but i have never been there.

I was up nice and early for the 6.30 bus to Nottingham,then on the National Express coach to Leeds,i arrived in Leeds
just before 10am,a quick walk and i was in Yates's which was very busy,i had a quick half of GK IPA which went down well afer a long journey.

I got the 10.32 train to Menston,there was a bus right outside the station waiting for me to get off the train,i was now heading for Otley.

I arrived in Otley just after 11am and found the Old Cock open so this was my first pub done in Otley,there was a great choice of real
ales on the bar i opted for a drink of Ilkley Mary Jane which went dwon well,i quite liked this pub.

Pub number 3 was the Bowling Green a Spoons pub,i really liked this pub a good choice of real ales on the bar and a roaring fire,i had a drink of
Moorhouse White Witch which was a very nice drink.

I could'nt believe how close Otleys pubs were together,my next pub was North Bar Social,i was offered two tasters and had a drink of
North Prototype which went down well.

The rain was now getting heavier,a short walk and i was in the Black Bull which was packed just before 12,i had a drink of Tim Taylor Boltmaker
which was a nice drink.

A short walk across the market place and i was in the Bay Horse,this is another nice pub that was very busy,i had a drink of Tetley bitter which was
quite a nice drink.

A quick dash through the heavey rain and i was in the Black Horse,a very grand looking pub from the outside and inside,i had a drink of Saltair Blonde
which went down well,i took my time in here hoping the rain would slow down a bit.

I now decided to make a shortish walk up westgate to the Fleece Inn which seems to have ties with Wharf Bank bewery,there was a great choice
of real ales on the bar,i had a drink of Wharf Bank Washburn Best which went down very well in a nice warm pub.

A short walk and i was in the Cross Pipes,probably the most basic pub of the day and the least busy,there were three pumps on the bar two unclipped
and one with John Smiths Cask on,i asked for a half of this but was told no real ales here,so it was a drink of John Smiths Extra Cold Crap.

I was now back in the town centre and a quick drink in the Rose and Crown which was packed,i had a drink of Taylor Landlord which went down
very well after the drink in the previous pub.

I walked past the next 3 pubs and took photos of them so i could do them later in the day,my next pub was the first unreviewed pub in Otley.
Korks Wine Bar is quite a nice bar with 3 pumps on the bar and 2 real ales,i had a drink of Kirkstall Pale Ale which was a very nice drink
this is more of a dining type of place but there were other drinkers in.

A very short walk and i was in the Junction Inn,yet another Otley pub with a great choice of real ales on the bar,i had a drink of Leeds Gold a very
nice drink.

My next pub was to be the Manor House,but this pub was closed and full of builders,not sure if it is being done up or being converted to other use.

So my next pub was the White Swan and another Otley pub with a good choice of real ales, i had a drink of Wharf Bank Tether Ale which went
down well,next door to the White Swan is the Otley Tap House which had another good choice of real ales,i had a drink of Saltair Blonde
which was a nice drink.

The rain had now stopped so i decided to my longest walk which was not that far over the bridge and River Wharf and i was walking uphill
to the Yew Tree,the second pub not reviewed in Otley.
This was quite a nice smart pub,i had a drink of Titanic Night to Remember,which was a very nice drink,back downhill and i was in the

Horse and farrier,loads more real ales on here,i had a drink of Oakells MBA which went down well,another very short walk and i was in the
Red Lion only one real ale here Theakstons best which was a decent enough drink.

Next door to the Red lion is Whitakers a very nice pub inside with a decent choice of real ales,i had a drink of York Guzzler which went down
very well.

My last pub was the Otley Tavern which was another pub that was packed,i had a drink of Titanic Iceburg which went down well.

A short walk to the bus station and i was heading back to Menston and the train back to Leeds.

I went in the Brewery Tap which was rammed early evening,i had a drink of Leeds Best which was a nice drink.

A short walk took me to the last pub of the dat the Crowd of Favours,i quite took to this pub,i had a drink of Leeds Pale which went down well.

So to sum up the day of Otleys 19 pubs i visited all and did 18 of them, only 1 with no real ale.

I did 3 pubs in Leeds all had real ales.

21 pubs done 20 with real ale.

I really enjoyed this pub crawl and will no doubt be up this way very soon.

Quinno
17-11-2014, 23:23
Cheers for the run-down, Al :)

Al 10000
18-11-2014, 16:38
Cheers for the run-down, Al :)

Thank you for that Quinno,
i now know i am not wasting my time doing these posts about my pub crawls.

Rex_Rattus
18-11-2014, 17:20
I like the idea of going somewhere with the intention of doing all the pubs in a town/area. Mind you, I'm a bit less ambitious than Alan, so would look for somewhere that only had five or six pubs! Down this way you would almost certainly have to extend your crawl into the evening as so many pubs nowadays don't open until late afternoon/early evening. Respect for the application and dedication!

Aqualung
18-11-2014, 17:36
Thank you for that Quinno,
i now know i am not wasting my time doing these posts about my pub crawls.

I've been meaning to reply to this but didn't want to derail the Bristol thread. I've added this town to my growing list of places to go to avoid drinking in Leeds. Four of the pubs are in the GBG.
I might even add that place with the weird song about a moor and a load of old tat.