PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 4 Apr 2010)

Conrad
29-03-2010, 11:31
Whoops meant to do this last night, still hopefully no one has started yet.

ETA: Late Red (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1907-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-4-Apr-2010%29&p=10885#post10885)
hopwas: Centurion Ghost from Your Brewery (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1907-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-4-Apr-2010%29&p=10989#post10989)
Maldenman: Cottage Concorde (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1907-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-4-Apr-2010%29&p=10993#post10993)
Oggwyn Trench: Pictish Rakau (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1907-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-4-Apr-2010%29&p=11109#post11109)
trainman: hophead (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1907-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-4-Apr-2010%29&p=11120#post11120)
gillhalfpint: Nethergate Mary's Mild (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1907-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-4-Apr-2010%29&p=11121#post11121)
ROBCamra: Motueka IPA from Acorn Brewery (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1907-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-4-Apr-2010%29&p=11132#post11132)
Millay: Fullers 1845 (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1907-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-4-Apr-2010%29&p=11172#post11172)
RogerB: Otter Ale (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1907-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-4-Apr-2010%29&p=11180#post11180)
aleandhearty: Salamander 'Golden Salamander' (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1907-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-4-Apr-2010%29&p=11182#post11182)
HTM69: Theakston, 1965 Celebration Ale (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1907-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-4-Apr-2010%29&p=11187#post11187)
Grailhunter: Pitstop brewery Bitumen (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1907-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-4-Apr-2010%29&p=11246#post11246)

hopwas
29-03-2010, 13:01
Whoops meant to do this last night, still hopefully no one has started yet.

Darn, I was about do it... Joking!

Anyway, this week will be very quiet so mostly I'll be drinking ciders/bottles. I dobut I will have BOTW this week but you never know..

Conrad
29-03-2010, 14:40
Darn, I was about do it... Joking!

I did work out how to hack it out in the end, so feel free to.

Millay
29-03-2010, 23:31
This week has started off with the ridiculous to the sublime. Had an evening drinks reception at work which was all bottled Becks, Sancerre, things on sticks and inane conversation. Thank heaven for the Doric Arch where Fullers special edition cask 1845 was on, 6.3% of pure delight. Definitely a sipping beer but as I’d missed a train over the first one I had to sip two ;)

ETA
31-03-2010, 07:27
Going abroad again tomorrow (as though Kent isn't "abroad" enough for a Wiltshire-dweller!) , so declaring my hand early as I'm probably only having wine once I get past the airport lounges.

Another half-week on Romney Marsh has seen me major on Shepherd and Neame - I really must make more of an effort to drink more Goachers, Harveys, Hopdeamon and White's. (Are there any other local micros I've missed?)However, my BOTW this week is, once again, Late Red. Maybe if they returned it to its Autumn status the weather would follow suit?

Wittenden
31-03-2010, 09:03
Going abroad again tomorrow (as though Kent isn't "abroad" enough for a Wiltshire-dweller!) , so declaring my hand early as I'm probably only having wine once I get past the airport lounges.

Another half-week on Romney Marsh has seen me major on Shepherd and Neame - I really must make more of an effort to drink more Goachers, Harveys, Hopdeamon and White's. (Are there any other local micros I've missed?)However, my BOTW this week is, once again, Late Red. Maybe if they returned it to its Autumn status the weather would follow suit?
Rother Valley at Northiam-nearly on the Marsh! A new one-Old Dairy at Rolvenden-I've not come across it yet not to mention Westerham (from where else but...) and Gadds from Ramsgate, though I've not seen those outside East Kent.

ROBCamra
31-03-2010, 10:08
I had a pint of Mandrill from Brass Monkey in the Baum last night, not as good as the previous beers from this brewery in my opinion, I also had a pint Fyne Maverick which was also OK.

Next up was Warwickshire Ffiagra (yes it is a double ff) which was very good with plenty of body (well the pump clip certainly has :p)

But the best beer of the evening was definitely Hawkshead Windermere Pale which went down so well that I had to have another.

hopwas
31-03-2010, 11:35
Had Centurion Ghost from York Brewery (5.4%) at The Bole Bridge. It was outstanding porter and one of best porters I ever had. Very smoky and heavy burnt coffee taste to it. Very pleasing finish. It was so popular that it ran out of barrel in just 6 hours!

rpadam
31-03-2010, 21:31
Rother Valley at Northiam-nearly on the Marsh! A new one-Old Dairy at Rolvenden-I've not come across it yet not to mention Westerham (from where else but...) and Gadds from Ramsgate, though I've not seen those outside East Kent.
And what about Larkins from the west of the county?

Wittenden
31-03-2010, 22:44
And what about Larkins from the west of the county?

Yes,I had it in mind before I posted,but got sidetracked by Gadds!

runningdog
01-04-2010, 19:37
Well, your worst nightmare is back, I'm broke, bloody, but not bowed. Me cars written off and so is me bank balance. But I do have a good early runner for BotW, Milk Street's Brew Dog 5 AM Saint. I was nearly crying in me empty glass when I got dragged out of the Brewhouse. Early days yet though, there always the Beer Festival.
:drinkup::drinkup: By 'eck, it's good to be back among folk who know good pubs and better beer when they see 'em. Cheers lads:cheers:

Oggwyn Trench
01-04-2010, 19:42
Well, your worst nightmare is back, I'm broke, bloody, but not bowed. Me cars written off and so is me bank balance. But I do have a good early runner for BotW, Milk Street's Brew Dog 5 AM Saint. I was nearly crying in me empty glass when I got dragged out of the Brewhouse. Early days yet though, there always the Beer Festival.
:drinkup::drinkup: By 'eck, it's good to be back among folk who know good pubs and better beer when they see 'em. Cheers lads:cheers:

Glad to have you back RD , was wondering where you`d got to

ETA
02-04-2010, 07:53
but hopefully the dog's OK? Welcome back.

gillhalfpint
02-04-2010, 08:23
Visit to Drapers Peterborough yesterday, and enjoyed Oakham Citra and Grainstore Silly Billy.

BOTW so far Grainstore Silly Billy. Plenty more to try in the next couple of days though.

hopwas
02-04-2010, 10:51
Had Centurion Ghost from York Brewery (5.4%) at The Bole Bridge. It was outstanding porter and one of best porters I ever had. Very smoky and heavy burnt coffee taste to it. Very pleasing finish. It was so popular that it ran out of barrel in just 6 hours!

*cough* *cough* Sadly It will be my BOTW as I am suffering from heavy cold. No beers for me this week. Boo Hoo! :moremad:

trainman
02-04-2010, 11:07
I am suffering from heavy cold.
Sorry to hear that Hoppy, I hope it doesn't set in like mine did - it lasted for ages, in fact is this my 3rd non-submission of a botw? Scandalous! And now I'm just about ok, but skint.
I'll go along with Maldenman's hot toddies, honey + lemon (lots) + strong spirit of choice (I found a btl of rum), plus a couple of paracetemol.

ROBCamra
02-04-2010, 11:22
Hot toddies, honey + lemon (lots) + strong spirit of choice (I found a btl of rum), plus a couple of paracetemol.

Is this a thinly veiled suicide note trainman? :whistle:

Maldenman
02-04-2010, 11:39
Sorry to hear that Hoppy, I hope it doesn't set in like mine did - it lasted for ages, in fact is this my 3rd non-submission of a botw? Scandalous! And now I'm just about ok, but skint.
I'll go along with Maldenman's hot toddies, honey + lemon (lots) + strong spirit of choice (I found a btl of rum), plus a couple of paracetemol.

You know it makes sense. Two or three of those will sort any bug out for a few hours at least, minus the parecetemols mind!

I only had one day to record my BOTW thanks to being on call. Out of action now till 7/4. So having tracked down Thornbridge Jaipur, and sampled Cottage Concorde, Thwaites Wainwright and Westerham British Bulldog, I reckon Concorde just shaded it, darkish and full of flavour, 4.6%. The Jaipur in The Coal Hole was ok, but I suspect just the wrong side of being in best condition.

trainman
02-04-2010, 16:29
Is this a thinly veiled suicide note trainman? :whistle:

If I don't find funds for a proper few ales soon, you may not be far off the mark there ROB!

On that note, I'm going, after tuition, hopefully into the grinding business (knives! you dodgy other-PG ers), but I don't see many customers on here - I can't travel 2 hours with a whetstone to the PG hotbed of West Midlands, Herefordshire, West Country... Mind you, plenty of new missions there, PLUS the elusive Butty Bach, hmmm...

gillhalfpint
02-04-2010, 23:03
Of all the beer we had today I marked Digfield March Hare as my BOTW.

May change after Stamford tomorrow as we hope to enjoy a lot at the Green Man fest.

Oggwyn Trench
04-04-2010, 09:57
Well after a crawl round the Hell on Earth pubs wise that is Wellington , 8 pubs only 2 decent pints :moremad: i returned to Oakengates to find the Station was having a Pictish Weekend , Crystal , Maelstrom , Rakau ,Atlas , Sonnet and Manc`y Mild , the Maelstrom was very good but the Rakau was even better so thats my BOTW Pictish Rakau

trainman
04-04-2010, 11:14
What an excellent sporting (yester-)day with a marvelous sequence of footy results, all washed down with Darkstar Hophead and a side of the splendidly named Hammerpot Bottle Wreck Porter (in the Traf). Hophead gets my vote for botw.

gillhalfpint
04-04-2010, 11:21
Now let me think, we had such a good day round Stamford, but BOTW has changed now to Nethergate Mary's Mild. At 4.5% it went down a treat. Notes have it as a deep ruby mild full of rich malty chocolate aromas and a soft goldings hop finish.

Funny how often the first beer of the day is the one that makes the biggest impression. Clean palate I suppose.

Church End Rugby Ale at 5% was an enjoyable deep red bitter, and Jarrow Slake at 4.3% a golden amber ale. Great to see colour in the ales, and not all pale, straw ones. Will keep to the Nethergate Mary's Mild as BOTW though.

ROBCamra
04-04-2010, 13:25
I had a pint of Mandrill from Brass Monkey in the Baum last night, not as good as the previous beers from this brewery in my opinion, I also had a pint Fyne Maverick which was also OK.

Next up was Warwickshire Ffiagra (yes it is a double ff) which was very good with plenty of body (well the pump clip certainly has :p)

But the best beer of the evening was definitely Hawkshead Windermere Pale which went down so well that I had to have another.

Had a good one from Elland last night Demons Eye and Hawkshead Organic Stout was good as well but this weeks BOTW is going to be Motueka IPA from Acorn Brewery. At 5% it's pretty close to real IPA strength and tastes stronger.

ROBCamra
04-04-2010, 13:29
Well after a crawl round the Hell on Earth pubs wise that is Wellington , 8 pubs only 2 decent pints :moremad: i returned to Oakengates to find the Station was having a Pictish Weekend , Crystal , Maelstrom , Rakau ,Atlas , Sonnet and Manc`y Mild , the Maelstrom was very good but the Rakau was even better so thats my BOTW Pictish Rakau

I still have trouble getting a pint of Pictish in its hometown and yet the Station in Oakengates regularly has it on.:moremad:

Richard Sutton you should sell some to your local customers:mad:

Oggwyn Trench
04-04-2010, 15:04
I still have trouble getting a pint of Pictish in its hometown and yet the Station in Oakengates regularly has it on.:moremad:

Richard Sutton you should sell some to your local customers:mad:

Yes the Station usually has Pictish on at least one a fortnight , its so popular with the locals they have regular Pictish weekends like this week when all six guests are Pictish .

Gann
05-04-2010, 08:46
Been a very thin few weeks for me due to one thing and another (including a prolonged dose of the Hopwas Lurgy), but fortunately this one finished on the up.

Had a very good pint of Moorlands Black Cat in a Nickolson pub on the south bank of the Thames on thursday night, and then wandered into my local cricket club, which does Fullers, for a Jazz evening on Friday, to find they had Gales Seafarers on.
As well as a very good session beer, being a light amber ale at 3.6%, its also a feel good pint as Fullers donate £5 from every barrel sold to the charity for those brave soles who made their trade on the sea..

Millay
05-04-2010, 09:13
Although it caused me a couple of mornings feeling not so good, I'm going for Fullers 1845 as my BotW.

RogerB
05-04-2010, 10:36
What an excellent sporting (yester-)day with a marvelous sequence of footy results,

I'm glad someone enjoyed it. :moremad::moremad::moremad:

Quite a few beers to choose from this week but honours go to an old favourite, Otter Ale at the Henry Addington in Canary Wharf.

aleandhearty
05-04-2010, 11:09
Funny how often the first beer of the day is the one that makes the biggest impression. Clean palate I suppose.
How true, Gill. I'm finding the older I get the beers I drink later in a session are becoming less and less distinguishable. Shrinking numbers of taste buds and all that.

this weeks BOTW is going to be Motueka IPA from Acorn Brewery. At 5% it's pretty close to real IPA strength and tastes stronger.
Can't argue with that ROB. It was mine also three weeks ago. I love Acorn beers.

Had a bit of a catharsis, in Leeds, on Thursday night, taking in The Hop, The Duck and Drake, The Palace and The Adelphi. Narrowed down my choice for BOTW to three contenders: Phoenix 'Black Bee', Jaipur IPA and the winner Salamander 'Golden Salamander'. Lots of citrus hop character and a lingering dry, bitter finish. Any beer that lessens the impact of Jaipur (which I had to follow) must be a good beer!

trainman
05-04-2010, 11:20
Any beer that lessens the impact of Jaipur (which I had to follow) must be a good beer!
I know you're talking flavour a&h, but combining Jaipur with more beer can only compound the impact, in the sense of lessening sobriety...

I noticed Pictish have also done a beer called Motueka, and can now see the name refers to a kiwi hop.

aleandhearty
05-04-2010, 11:27
I know you're talking flavour a&h, but combining Jaipur with more beer can only compound the impact, in the sense of lessening sobriety...

I'm afraid I did have three pints of IPA looking for that 'hit'!

HTM69
05-04-2010, 11:31
This weeks offerings, spread over a 3-day period:

Daleside, Spring Frenzy x 1
Theakston, 1965 Celebration Ale x 4
Bombardier x 3
Youngs Special x 2
Adnams Broadside x 1
Hook Norton, Early Mist x 1
Cottage Brewery, Thunderbird x 1
London Pride x 4
Sanmiguel (bottle) x 1
Vody & Coke (double measure) x 1

BOTW: Theakston, 1965 Celebration Ale - sampled in The George V, Brompton, Gillingham

Grailhunter
06-04-2010, 12:39
Visited the Royal Oak in Wantage on Easter Sunday. The pub was runner up in the CAMRA pub of the year competition. Had a stunning pint of Pitstop brewery Bitumen. A 10% dark sweet stout. It was really quite breathtaking, literally, and is my beer of the week.

trainman
06-04-2010, 15:02
Had a stunning pint of Pitstop brewery Bitumen. A 10% dark sweet stout.

10%? Pint? :notworthy:

I hope you kept a good hold of the glass though Grailhunter - I've heard Bitumen can be a lot worse than spilling hot water down yer leg.