PDA

View Full Version : Is it a new pub

london calling
04-10-2014, 20:38
What is the criteria for a pub that closes and re-opens.Is it a new pub and can be reviewed again. Surely the there should be some kid of rules set down for guidance rather than the rules are - there are no rules.I have re-reviewed the Express Tavern and am not sure if I can count it as a new pub.I have not decided as there are enough changes to make it a new pub in my opinion.What makes me start this thread is I was in the Arc at Angel a few months ago but didnt review it as I couldn't find it on this site so forgot about it.I thought it was n1 as its opposite the Angel (wetherspoons)but its ec1.I will be visiting it again this week as it opens as the Brewhouse and Kitchen a brewpub that that bears no relation to the keg only, loud music, sports type bar It was previously.
your thought however brief would be appreciated. cheers john

Aqualung
04-10-2014, 22:14
If you're talking about a review then in this case I would have retained the original review as you have done and not made excuses about the original score given for "nostalgic reasons". All these opinons about pubs and the associated scoring are totally subjective and nostalgia seems as good a reason as any to up a rating. If you are talking about "new pubs" for the purposes of the pubs visited thread then just do what I do and don't bother counting them! If I did count them then it would not be a new pub.
If I were to go there it would not be a new pub as I visited it once nearly forty years ago.

bcfczuluarmy
04-10-2014, 23:34
40 years ago now that's what I call a memory..

Aqualung
05-10-2014, 08:56
40 years ago now that's what I call a memory..

It was a noted Bass pub before the beer was ruined and also sold (I think) Ind Coope Romford bitter. That doesn't sound very exciting (and to be honest wasn't!) but in those days Young's were king and Fuller's were looked down upon so anything other than Charrington's IPA was an attraction. One reason it stood out was because it was so close to lots of Young's pubs and a few years later Fuller's pubs which probably explains why I never went back! How times change, if I went back there now I wouldn't bother with any Young's or Fuller's houses.

london calling
05-10-2014, 18:56
If you're talking about a review then in this case I would have retained the original review as you have done and not made excuses about the original score given for "nostalgic reasons". All these opinons about pubs and the associated scoring are totally subjective and nostalgia seems as good a reason as any to up a rating. If you are talking about "new pubs" for the purposes of the pubs visited thread then just do what I do and don't bother counting them! If I did count them then it would not be a new pub.
If I were to go there it would not be a new pub as I visited it once nearly forty years ago.

Nostagic reasons wasn't an excuse just that although it has improved the 2 scores were the same but for different reasons why I liked the pub.

NickDavies
05-10-2014, 19:04
I'm sure it was Bass and Young's Ordinary in there in the late 70s. Lived nearby around 79-80ish. The days of Ever So Dim Tim. Never did like Bass, well it didn't like me, ring of fire, (yes, I know, too much information) so stuck to the Ordinary which was always spot on.

Aqualung
06-10-2014, 19:59
I'm sure it was Bass and Young's Ordinary in there in the late 70s. Lived nearby around 79-80ish. The days of Ever So Dim Tim. Never did like Bass, well it didn't like me, ring of fire, (yes, I know, too much information) so stuck to the Ordinary which was always spot on.

The 1978 and 1974 guides both say Bass and Ind Coope (Romford).
Presumably the Young's came soon after. I must have visited it after 1974 but before 1978. My only recollection of it apart from the beer was that it seemed like an old fashioned boozer for London even in those days.