PDA

View Full Version : Whats you Favourite Wetherspoons

Alesonly
27-03-2010, 11:27
Whats your Favourite Two Wetherspoons Pubs and why. Mine are The Gate House at Highgate and The Tally Ho at North Finchley. Both of which are very old style traditional Pubs ( Ex Charringtons I think ) not conversions and they retain some of their character making them feel more like a proper Pubs. This is what makes them the best two for me plus they have not been wreaked like they would have been if turned into ghastly gasto restaurants.

Conrad
27-03-2010, 11:45
Would it be an abuse of my powers if I changed this thread title to Whats your Least Worst Weatherspoons? :whistle:

Oggwyn Trench
27-03-2010, 11:52
Not much choice in Shropshire, six i think and if im away i tend more to the more characterfull local pubs . My local one is the Thomas Bottfield and its pretty dire . Montgomerys Tower in Shrewsbury isnt to bad , its a former nightclub but my favorite is probally the Shrewsbury hotel , its got the usual JDW problems and to be honest its a bit grotty , but the beers usually good and its a good place to sit in the window(or outside) on a Saturday afternoon and watch the world go by

Rex_Rattus
27-03-2010, 12:16
I mentioned this to Commissioner Sir Mustapha Colon when I saw him propping up the bar at the The Apostrophile's Arms earlier, and his response was, and I quote, "would it be an abuse of my powers if I asked for this thread title to be changed to 'What's the least worst Wetherspoon's'". I told him not be so daft, and get back to his proper job of harrassing greengrocer's.

ROBCamra
27-03-2010, 12:36
Whats your Favourite Two Wetherspoons Pubs and why. Mine are The Gate House at Highgate and The Tally Ho at North Finchley. Both of which are very old style traditional Pubs ( Ex Charringtons I think ) not conversions and they retain some of their character making them feel more like a proper Pubs. This is what makes them the best two for me plus they have not been wreaked like they would have been if turned into ghastly gasto restaurants.

For beer it has to be the Babington Arms in Derby. The best guest ale range of any JDW in the country. But sadly as it's an ex furniture store it has no character at all.

For decor I think I'll go with The Winter Gardens in Harrogate, although the Crosse Keys in London runs it close.

Conrad
27-03-2010, 12:39
I mentioned this to Commissioner Sir Mustapha Colon when I saw him propping up the bar at the The Apostrophile's Arms earlier, and his response was, and I quote, "would it be an abuse of my powers if I asked for this thread title to be changed to 'What's the least worst Wetherspoon's'". I told him not be so daft, and get back to his proper job of harrassing greengrocer's.
:p

Get on and answer the original question!

Rex_Rattus
27-03-2010, 13:22
OK, fair enough Conrad! Glad you can take a joke. For me it is the Edward Rayne, at Raynes Park. It is my local Wetherspoons, so perhaps I am a bit biased. But it doesn't have (and I'm trying to skirt round political correctness here) the skanky low lifes that I've encountered in numerous other JDWs. It is kept clean, with the tables generally clearled fairly swiftly, and the toilets are extermely sanitary. I don't really have a second favourite, but if I was pinned down I would probably go for the Penderell's Oak in Holborn.

But I do have one gripe though, and it may be that other JDWs suffer from the same malaise. Nine times out of ten there is one or more of the pumps with beer clips on them, with the dreaded "available soon" on them as well. It's bad enough having pumps not in use (and in my view pumps are for dispensing ale not for advertising future ales), but when the said ale doesn't arrive that is much worse. I've been in the Edward Rayne at closing time, noted the ale that is "available soon" and in order to give it a try returned the following afternoon, only to find a different ale on. There is no way that they've polished off a whole cask in the intervening few hours. This has happened often enough that I am convinced that there is a policy of not allowing a pump to be without a clip, and if they don't know what ale really is coming next they will stick any old clip on it. Just a bit annoying. And Monday seems to be the worst day for this sort of thing at the Edward Rayne - last Monday, of the four "guests" one was Deuchars IPA and the other GK IPA.

trainman
27-03-2010, 13:34
Keep talking Rex, and the Edward Rayne will be dropping off your chart pretty sharpish!

hopwas
27-03-2010, 13:41
For wide of real ale.. it has to be Babington Arms in Derby.

For interior.. The Palladium, Llandudno. Wonderful ex theatre and still retains orginal interiors.

Just for Conrad..

Worst.. Penny Black, Bicester. Very rough and smell inside is pretty awful :sick:

Farway
27-03-2010, 13:54
For interior.. The Palladium, Llandudno. Wonderful ex theatre and still retains orginal interiors.
:

Ah, did you notice the Welsh & English versions? http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54167/

I never went inside BTW

Farway
27-03-2010, 14:00
Not a great 'spoons lover, but much in line with reasons given by Alesonly, mine is the White Swan in Portsmouth. Listed building, can't knock it about therefore, and to be fair to 'spoons, they have saved a losing, closed, pub and made it into a pleasant venue much as it was for much of the past century

gillhalfpint
27-03-2010, 14:14
I go along with the Babington in Deby for ale choice, and the screen with all details of the ales with colour coding from light to dark beers.

For most astonishing the Imperial in Walsall for taking a pump clip off. I asked for a beer, and he confirmed with the other chap (yes - there were 2 of them) that it had just gone. He whipped the clip off sharpish, I got up off the floor to find he was putting the beer on the nexrt pump on. Not yet available notice was removed. I was amazed. Never having seen this before, I asked about it, and it seems while Walsall fest was on, they were trying to keep 5 guests on at all times. When one finished, there was always another ready to be put on.

That should go down a bomb as a staff suggestion for the whole network.

rpadam
27-03-2010, 14:42
The only one I've rated as an '8' is the Babington, but some of these come close (admittedly, some more for the architecture than the beer):

Briar Rose, Crosse Keys, Edward Rayne, Flying Boat, Flying Standard, Friar Penketh, Opera House, Penderel's Oak, Picture Palace, Sennockian, Swan Inn, Union Rooms

Andy Ven
27-03-2010, 14:44
I go along with the Babington in Deby for ale choice, and the screen with all details of the ales with colour coding from light to dark beers.

For most astonishing the Imperial in Walsall for taking a pump clip off. I asked for a beer, and he confirmed with the other chap (yes - there were 2 of them) that it had just gone. He whipped the clip off sharpish, I got up off the floor to find he was putting the beer on the nexrt pump on. Not yet available notice was removed. I was amazed. Never having seen this before, I asked about it, and it seems while Walsall fest was on, they were trying to keep 5 guests on at all times. When one finished, there was always another ready to be put on.

That should go down a bomb as a staff suggestion for the whole network.

The Imperial was a good Wetherspoon's when it had the big dinosaur in the middle of the pub. I think it still has a woolly mammoth on the balcony but the dinosaur gave it character. One of my least favourite is the Square Peg in Birmingham. Yuk. The Briar Rose isn't bad though - it has some stiff competition in the form of the Wellington, further up Bennett's Hill

hopwas
27-03-2010, 18:20
Ah, did you notice the Welsh & English versions? http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54167/

I never went inside BTW

:confused:

I have visited there 3 times but never noticed. I am not sure what the reviewer is on about.

Thanks for pointing it out

hopwas
27-03-2010, 18:46
One of my least favourite is the Square Peg in Birmingham. Yuk. The Briar Rose isn't bad though - it has some stiff competition in the form of the Wellington, further up Bennett's Hill

I have to agree with you there, Square Peg is pretty awful for JDW's standards, too many customers eating and too many drunkards. But I can understand why as Square Peg is just off main bus station in Brum

Briar Rose is not too bad but waiting time for drink is too long and sometimes 10 to 15 mins to my turn to order. Nice Gent toilets BTW. Of course I would go to Wellys anytime over Briar Rose. (i can't believe I said that! :o)

oldboots
27-03-2010, 19:36
and get back to his proper job of harrassing greengrocer's.

What's the missing word? What item of a greengrocer's was the esteemed Commissioner harrassing? I think we should be told!

Anyhoo... not a great fan of JDW but I'll agree with ROBCamra and say the Winter Gardens in Harrogate is outstanding, I was in the other night and the service was good, the beer was good and the surroundings magnificent. For number 2 I'm torn between the Counting House in George Square, Glasgow, or the Cricketers in Ipswich. I have a very long list of poor JDWs if anyone's interested?:D

hopwas
27-03-2010, 20:10
I have a very long list of poor JDWs if anyone's interested?:D

Er.. please don't... seriously don't! :whistle:

arwkrite
27-03-2010, 22:07
The Moon under the Water, Manchester. Who cares what the beer is like. From 4.30 pm on a Friday the girls start to flock like starlings.I could sit there until hunger drove me to seek sustenance just drinking a bottle of wine and ogling. Unhappy memories of Llandudno, they tried to sell me bad whiskey and argue the toss. The ones in Worcester aint bad and The Kings Fee in Hereford is pretty good all told.

Strongers
27-03-2010, 22:49

I saw the thread title and thought of the Gate House and then when I read two pubs at the start of the thread I thought of the Tally Ho - snap!

I'm not a big Spoons fan, but I do think that they are a lot better than they used to be, maybe they are getting better or I'm getting older and less affluent.

gillhalfpint
28-03-2010, 09:35
I haven't been in for a while, but the layout of the Rawson Spring in Sheffield is pretty good and different in that there are smaller rooms within the big room if you know what I mean. They are part of it with no doors, but you can get a more pubby feel to it.

They seem to keep the beers well there too as it often gets a mention by those doing Sheffield crawl, and personally I prefer it to the Bankers Draft at the other end of the crawl.

Farway
28-03-2010, 12:59
:confused:

I have visited there 3 times but never noticed. I am not sure what the reviewer is on about.

Thanks for pointing it out

The rear entrance signage is in Welsh, main entrance signage is in English

I suspect most would use main entrance on Gloddaeth Street

I took picture of rear entrance as well, Y Paladiwm it is called there

hopwas
28-03-2010, 14:58
The rear entrance signage is in Welsh, main entrance signage is in English

I suspect most would use main entrance on Gloddaeth Street

I took picture of rear entrance as well, Y Paladiwm it is called there

Ahhh! I see what you mean there..

I'll take a notice next time I visit there.

Thanks Farway!

Millay
28-03-2010, 16:56
I’m going to pick a couple by category if I may.

For beer range and quality there’s another vote for the Babington Arms in Derby and I’m also going for the Metropolitan Bar near Baker St Station in London.

For decorative interiors it’s two ex banks, the Crosse Keyes in London and the Counting House in Glasgow

In the best conversion category I’m going for one that I visited years ago The Picture House in Colwyn Bay converted from an old cinema and a more recent one the Samuel Peto in Folkestone which used to be an old church and where you can still see the organ above the bar.

Crossste
28-03-2010, 18:04
For me it would be the Richard Oastler in Brighouse converted from an old chapel. Not one of their biggest outlets, perhaps one of their smallest? Plus it would probably win their award for the smelliest toilets amid some fierce compitition.

Still my favourite though.

Rex_Rattus
29-03-2010, 09:58
What's the missing word? What item of a greengrocer's was the esteemed Commissioner harrassing? I think we should be told!

D
There's no missing word, I meant it as a plural. Ungrammatical I know, but I used the aberrant apostrophe in this case as a reference to greengrocers' habitual way of labelling their produce - e.g. apple's, pear's, etc. These people are the bane of Sir Mustapha's life, but luckily he has an army of stalwart quangophiles on his staff at the Apostrophe Police to patrol the markets.

DannyO'Revey
29-03-2010, 14:53
The Bluecoat in Rotherham is superb, and there are nice examples in London. And Andy Ven is right about the Square Peg in Birmingham - very poor, as is 'wetherspoons' next to Birmingham library

hopwas
29-03-2010, 14:59
very poor, as is 'wetherspoons' next to Birmingham library

http://www.tipped.co.uk/images/listing_images/medium/10285781ldc780840.jpg

I agree with you, easily worst JDW in Brum and almost impossible to get served. Go to nearby Solomon Culter.

danbert
29-03-2010, 15:03
The Bluecoat in Rotherham is superb,

I would certainly agree with Danny on this one. Although I've not been up to Rotherham for a couple of years, I would go to this 'spoons when up in that area again. On a more local (to me) choice it would be the Old Gaol House in Winchester. The beer always seems to be good and the staff knowledgeable.

oldboots
29-03-2010, 17:23
There's no missing word, I meant it as a plural. Ungrammatical I know, but I used the aberrant apostrophe in this case as a reference to greengrocers' habitual way of labelling their produce - e.g. apple's, pear's, etc. These people are the bane of Sir Mustapha's life, but luckily he has an army of stalwart quangophiles on his staff at the Apostrophe Police to patrol the markets.

My irony wasted once again,:(

I wont even mention the apostrophe catastrophe in the title of this thread least my OCD show itself again. ;)

Irony, Irony they've all missed my irony!

RogerB
30-03-2010, 11:00
I’ve had to take my time over answeribng this thread. As much as I frequent Wetherspoons I would struggle to find one that ticks every box but several stand out for varying reasons…

Unusual or interesting buildings…
The Opera House (Tunbridge Wells) – as it says, a fully restored Opera House where they even still perform the occasional opera here. A ‘Spoons with a touch of class! Suerely not!
Lattice House (Kings Lynn) – rambling medieval split level town centre pub with vaulted ceilings and lots of little nooks and crannies.
Waterend Barn (St Albans) – 2 large barns rebuilt on site in the 1930’s. Quite eye popping when you walk in.
The Standing Order (Derby) – probably the most spectacular of the converted Bank / Building Socierty ‘Spoons I have seen although the Cross Keys (Gracechurch St, London) is probably close.

Beers…
The beers are the prime reason for walking thorugh the door but one stands out head and shoulders above everything else, as already mentioned - the Babington Arms (Derby). So many hand pumps that no-one seems to have successfully counted them as every review I've read comes up with a different number. If there are a dozen guest ales you’ve picked a bad day.

Garden…
The Globe Hotel (Kings Lynn) – Not a great pub, in fact it’s pretty awful at times but the well maintained garden leads down to the river and is so big you almost need to catch a bus to get back to the pub. In fact, it would be quicker to hop over the wall and get your beers from the excellent pub next door.

A few others with an honourable mention for whatever reasons I found at the time include the Imperial (Exeter), the Kings Head (Monmouth), Picture Palace (Enfield), Sedge Lynn (Chorton Cum Hardy) and the Red Lion (Doncaster).

If I have to pick one to top them all it would be the Paper Moon (Dartford). Why? Because it’s the one I seem to spend the most time in!

trainman
30-03-2010, 11:27
Off thread, but my irony joke goes...

American guy in London sheltering under a shop awning while it pours with rain. English chap, also sheltering, says 'Nice weather we're having'.
The Yank looks at him like he's mad, & eventually goes on his way. Later that afternoon he thinks, 'wait a minute, maybe that English guy knew the weather was bad, maybe he said it was nice on purpose, maybe he was using what the Limeys call i-ron-ee'.

Later that year the Yank is back in the States having a BBQ. He burns his burgers to a cinder and, whilst he a little pissed-off (or just pissed, as they say over there), he decides it would be an opportune moment to try out his new grasp of i-ron-ee. He calls his pal Chuck over to the grill where the burgers lie in ruins and says, 'Hey Chuck, great weather we're having!'

Conrad
30-03-2010, 11:44
Oi!

No racism like that on this forum.

Unless it makes me laugh that is :D

Rex_Rattus
30-03-2010, 13:29
My irony wasted once again,:(

I wont even mention the apostrophe catastrophe in the title of this thread least my OCD show itself again. ;)

Sorry ob, I thought you'd missed my irony. Should've known better!

hopwas
31-03-2010, 10:41
The Standing Order (Derby) – probably the most spectacular of the converted Bank / Building Socierty ‘Spoons

My very first ever JDW in 1995! I was there on it's opening day althrough somewhat spoiled by mass brawl at the end of night..

Anyway here..

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/static/gallery/1031-pub-page.jpg