PDA

View Full Version : Kings Head - Milborne Port

Pubsignman
24-09-2014, 15:04
The Kings Head (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/10037/)

Has changed its name to 'The Tippling Philosopher'

oldboots
24-09-2014, 15:14
Good grief! Done, thanks.

Pubsignman
24-09-2014, 23:42
Yeah, weird one - whilst I'm here, quick question. What's the method for updating WhatPub links? This pub hasn't got a WhatPub link because it was on here under the wrong name. Now that the name has been corrected, will the WhatPub link magically appear in due course? Or does it need adding manually?

oldboots
25-09-2014, 08:03
Yeah, weird one - whilst I'm here, quick question. What's the method for updating WhatPub links? This pub hasn't got a WhatPub link because it was on here under the wrong name. Now that the name has been corrected, will the WhatPub link magically appear in due course? Or does it need adding manually?

What I have found is that the name of the pub is irrelevant - in so far as the text in the WhatPub link is derived from the pub name on the Pubs Galore page. As there's no WhatPub link it's probably because Dave didn't find it and will need to add it through whatever IT magic he uses.

Dave M
25-09-2014, 10:29
What I have found is that the name of the pub is irrelevant - in so far as the text in the WhatPub link is derived from the pub name on the Pubs Galore page. As there's no WhatPub link it's probably because Dave didn't find it and will need to add it through whatever IT magic he uses.
You are quite right that the link just uses whatever name we have for the pub, the matching processes are more complex!

Initially I did (near) exact name matches automatically, after which I've been manually going through entries and matching by eye. I currently have 49,535 matched, 3,675 that I have looked at but didn't have an obvious match and a further 220 that I've not looked at. I may be looking for volunteers to help out at some point!

Dave M
25-09-2014, 10:42
And I've just run my automated process which picked up 11 new matches, which will be ones where the name has been updated on here. The one in question on this thread I had looked at and was tagged as needing further investigation.

Pubsignman
25-09-2014, 12:31
Thanks - so if I post in this forum with a name change for a pub that doesn't currently have a WhatPub link, would it be useful if I included the WhatPub url in my post. Or should I use the 'Add New Web Link' button on the pub's page. Or is it best to just let the automated matching process work it's magic?

sheffield hatter
27-09-2014, 07:49
Thanks - so if I post in this forum with a name change for a pub that doesn't currently have a WhatPub link, would it be useful if I included the WhatPub url in my post. Or should I use the 'Add New Web Link' button on the pub's page. Or is it best to just let the automated matching process work it's magic?

Please don't use the 'Add New Web Link' button, as there's a huge backlog which I'm working through gradually. I think the automated matching process is likely to get there quicker.

ROBCamra
27-09-2014, 08:34
Please don't use the 'Add New Web Link' button, as there's a huge backlog which I'm working through gradually. I think the automated matching process is likely to get there quicker.

It's not just you whose working through them. ;)

Not very interesting is it? :(

sheffield hatter
27-09-2014, 21:52
It's not just you whose working through them. ;)

Not very interesting is it? :(

Pretty tedious, I'd say.

Pubsignman
29-09-2014, 14:15
Thanks - I'll leave it to the auto-update system in the future then.

Sorry to keep this thread going, but your mention of the backlog of web-links raises another question. I've still got a few links I submitted appearing on my 'pending approval' screen, but some of them were submitted so long ago that the link I provided is now dead. Is there a way I can cancel my submission of the link and therefore remove them from the list you're working through?

sheffield hatter
29-09-2014, 14:45
I've still got a few links I submitted appearing on my 'pending approval' screen, but some of them were submitted so long ago that the link I provided is now dead. Is there a way I can cancel my submission of the link and therefore remove them from the list you're working through?

Not that I know of. Don't worry, though, it only takes a few seconds for us to sort it out.

BTW Now up to mid-July, so should be up to date before long.

Cheers

Pubsignman
29-09-2014, 16:13
Okay, thanks SH. Although the links on my Pending Approval screen date back to Feb/March.

sheffield hatter
29-09-2014, 16:34
Okay, thanks SH. Although the links on my Pending Approval screen date back to Feb/March.

That will be because they've been "referred to Admin". We can approve appropriate working links, but those that need rejecting (for whatever reason - such as not working, wrong pub, closed pub) go into another queue for a final thumbs down from Dave. Those links you submitted in Feb/March will still be visible to you on the pub page but will be hidden from other users.

Pubsignman
29-09-2014, 17:08
Right got it - who knew the inner workings of PuG were so complex?! Thanks for the explanations and sorry for derailing the thread in spectacular fashion.