PDA

View Full Version : Shut up about Barclay Perkins - Butcher's tears - Ton Overmars Festival

Blog Tracker
23-09-2014, 07:25
Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site (http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2014/09/butchers-tears-ton-overmars-festival.html)

There was an feature in the local Amsterdam newspaper Het Parool the other week which really struck a chord. It was called "Centrum Mijden" - "Avoiding the Centre".

Many Amsterdammers are fed up with the city centre, annoyed by the rourists an dirt. Instead they're sticking to their own neighbourhood. I realised that this tendency has been apparent in the beer scene. Most of the recent openings have been outside the centre.

I pondered this yesterday at a small beer festival at Butcher's Tears held in conjunction with the local off licence, Ton Overmars. Which is where I buy my St. Bernardus Abt. That a beer festival should be held out my way is another indication of the trend to decentralisation. It's also nice to be able to walk to an event.

Ton Overmars has doing a good job of stocking beer from new local breweries. A couple more appeared this week: Noordman and De Naeckte Brouwers from Amstelveen, which is where I work. Both were due to be at the festival, but Noordman didn't show up.

I'd brought along a small present for Eric, brewer at Butcher's Tears: a bag of wild Amsterdam hops. I picked them on Satuirday/ They looked really lovely, a beautiful shade of light green. I've no diea what they taste like, but they look good.

It was a ticket-only event. Which was good because it meant that it wasn't too crowded. I hate crowds, especially when they slow down my beer supply.

There was quite a delegation of Pattinsons, with both Dolores and Andrew coming along. Dolores w3as slightly worried it would be all "grapefruit beer" as she calls stuff made with American hops. She's not a big fan. Luckily Oedipus had brought along a Kuitbier. That's more to Dolores's taste: not too strong and not too hoppy.

We're off to another festival next weekend: Borefts. A much bigger affair. I've promised Dolores that there will be cask Bitter. That's probably her favourite drink. I'll be taking an Imperial pint glass with me again. I can't stand drinking from the ridiculous thimbles they supply. I don't believe in drinking in any measure less than a half pint.

More... (http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2014/09/butchers-tears-ton-overmars-festival.html)