PDA

View Full Version : Pubs Galore Twitter Page.

aleandhearty
20-09-2014, 16:46
Although I don't tweet myself, I dip into the PuG Twitter page regularly and have to say it seems to be raising the profile of the site really well. I don't know who's running it these days, ( Andy Ven was very involved, at one stage) Vs. Dave? However, credit where it's due. One example is here, in the Exeter Express & Echo:

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Oddfellows-Exeter-ranked-UK-pubs-Twitter/story-22816641-detail/story.html

P.S. I recognise virtually everyone in the photo apart from the two to the right of Quinno. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Mobyduck
20-09-2014, 23:31
P.S. I recognise virtually everyone in the photo apart from the two to the right of Quinno. Anyone care to enlighten me?
Presuming you mean right as you look at it , back row, it is myself and my mate big steve.

Wittenden
21-09-2014, 15:58
Although I don't tweet myself, I dip into the PuG Twitter page regularly and have to say it seems to be raising the profile of the site really well. I don't know who's running it these days, ( Andy Ven was very involved, at one stage) Vs. Dave? However, credit where it's due. One example is here, in the Exeter Express & Echo:

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Oddfellows-Exeter-ranked-UK-pubs-Twitter/story-22816641-detail/story.html

I do tweet,but mainly for our business and environmental matters, so beer doesn't get too much of a look in, though I do follow a few local pubs and breweries.I didn't realise that PUG tweets. I've just followed!

aleandhearty
22-09-2014, 14:29
Presuming you mean right as you look at it , back row, it is myself and my mate big steve.

I did wonder whether it might be you. Cheers, Moby. Always good to put a name to a face.

trainman
22-09-2014, 17:36
I don't geddit. Where's the PuG twitter page, &/or photo in question?

oldboots
22-09-2014, 18:04

It is here (https://twitter.com/PubsGalore), A&H was referring to the Pubs Galore Twitter page not the newspaper story in the link, being senile it threw me too. The pic is from the Rugby day out.

Wittenden
22-09-2014, 18:06

On the other site, about half way down on the left, above the calendar thingy. Strange territory for me, I'm afraid.

Gann
23-09-2014, 11:21
Strange territory for me, I'm afraid.
And for me. It's enough to contend with Facebook and Linked In and I've never seen the point or interest in following the vacuous comments of some B-List celebrity..
However now having looked at the PuG content I can see some benefit , and could be persuaded to even get an account and tweet some pub related interests if it furthers the cause.
I see PubSignMan appears regularily as retweets. So how does this work then ?
I am guessing PubSignMan has a Twitter account that PuG follows and retweets the interesting beer and pub activity , correct ??

hondo
23-09-2014, 13:06
I follow pubs,beer and brewery related tweeters. The Baum tempts me with daily tweets of the food specials.

ROBCamra
23-09-2014, 13:15
I follow pubs and brewery related tweeters. The Baum tempts me with daily tweets of the food specials.

In that case you'll also have followed our tours around the country when we've taken Simon & Heidi out for the day / night.

Sheffield x 2, Manchester x who knows how many, Liverpool, Chester, Hull etc

Simon always tweets a picture of the pub we're in. :cheers:

Pubsignman
23-09-2014, 23:25
And for me. It's enough to contend with Facebook and Linked In and I've never seen the point or interest in following the vacuous comments of some B-List celebrity..
However now having looked at the PuG content I can see some benefit , and could be persuaded to even get an account and tweet some pub related interests if it furthers the cause.
I see PubSignMan appears regularily as retweets. So how does this work then ?
I am guessing PubSignMan has a Twitter account that PuG follows and retweets the interesting beer and pub activity , correct ??

I've had a Twitter account from the early days, but never really knew what to do with it. Back then, most pubs weren't on Twitter and as you say, most people seemed to use it to stalk celebrities. Over time, more and more pubs created accounts and I realised that by following pubs in my local area (London), I could find out about beer festivals, meet the brewer events, promotions etc... or even track down specific beers in some cases. I'd recommend considering using Twitter for this benefit alone.

Around the same time, I thought I might be able to promote PuG a bit by tweeting pubs that I'd enjoyed visiting with a link to their PuG page/my review. I always try to include the @PubsGalore handle in my tweets so that the pubs will hopefully follow the PuG twitter account. I've no idea if it helps with promoting the site, but often the pub will tweet back to say thanks for the review, so at least they visited their page. I've even been offered a few free pints over the years, but have never been able to take up the offers!

Dave has been doing some great work recently, finding ways to engage pubs such as the facility that ranks pubs by the number of Twitter followers they have. He's also on a mission to follow every pub in the UK, but needs more people to follow first, so if you're not already following @PubsGalore you know what to do - every follower counts!

Gann
24-09-2014, 13:55
Around the same time, I thought I might be able to promote PuG a bit by tweeting pubs that I'd enjoyed visiting with a link to their PuG page/my review. I always try to include the @PubsGalore handle in my tweets so that the pubs will hopefully follow the PuG twitter account. I've no idea if it helps with promoting the site, but often the pub will tweet back to say thanks for the review, so at least they visited their page. I've even been offered a few free pints over the years, but have never been able to take up the offers!

Dave has been doing some great work recently, finding ways to engage pubs such as the facility that ranks pubs by the number of Twitter followers they have. He's also on a mission to follow every pub in the UK, but needs more people to follow first, so if you're not already following @PubsGalore you know what to do - every follower counts!

Many thanks, that was roughly what I had worked out,
So @Steve_of_N21 has now been born and is following PuG, and I intend to do the same thing and tweet pub related activity, which Dave can retweet for effect if he likes..

oldboots
24-09-2014, 15:41
I follow all the local pubs and breweries on behalf of our camra branch and I have to report that over 90% of the tweets are dross. Pubs mainly tweet food deals or retweet any and every positive comment about them on Twitter and the breweries retweet any pub anywhere that mentions them as OTB (on the bar). Beer festival tweeting can be especially irritating. At the moment it's JDW about tax equality day and Cask Ale Week that are two to avoid.

It's not a bad thing, you just need to be selective about who you follow.

gillhalfpint
24-09-2014, 16:33
Irritating - that's the word I would use for re tweets. Gave up as I had to scroll around too much to find what was of interest to me.

london calling
24-09-2014, 20:50
I've had a Twitter account from the early days, but never really knew what to do with it. Back then, most pubs weren't on Twitter and as you say, most people seemed to use it to stalk celebrities. Over time, more and more pubs created accounts and I realised that by following pubs in my local area (London), I could find out about beer festivals, meet the brewer events, promotions etc... or even track down specific beers in some cases. I'd recommend considering using Twitter for this benefit alone.

I use Twitter everyday to find new beers and fests.Okay there is a lot of dross but you can quickly scroll past it.I have noticed your comments on twitter.Selcamra is particularly good for info.

Andy Ven
28-09-2014, 20:36
Although I don't tweet myself, I dip into the PuG Twitter page regularly and have to say it seems to be raising the profile of the site really well. I don't know who's running it these days, ( Andy Ven was very involved, at one stage) Vs. Dave?

Tis true that I have admin access to the Facebook page (not that much happens there now - having kids has clipped my wings a bit so a trip to the pub is a rare treat) but I have never got the point of Twitter.

Hope you're all well. Maybe I'll get on one of the crawls next year. My office has moved back into Birmingham City Centre so if anyone's dropping by then let me know by PM and I might manage a cheeky shandy.

ETA
30-09-2014, 06:41
?

Do we/should we have a Facebook page?

Gann
30-09-2014, 08:09

https://www.facebook.com/pubsgalore

Strongers
30-09-2014, 08:29
https://www.facebook.com/pubsgalore

A tad neglected!

aleandhearty
30-09-2014, 11:37
Tis true that I have admin access to the Facebook page (not that much happens there now - having kids has clipped my wings a bit so a trip to the pub is a rare treat) but I have never got the point of Twitter.

Funny how the memory plays tricks on you! Hope all is well with you and yours, Andy.

I think that's a very good question and perhaps one which needs to be answered by Dave, as ultimately it's his site. It all comes down to what PuG is meant to be. Certainly, if being brutally self-analytical, it could be argued that we're a self contained, possibly insular, bunch of real ale drinking old farts. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but if we want the site to grow and perhaps attract a younger membership, then embracing social media wholeheartedly seems to be the way to go. I must admit I was converted on watching the BBC programme on Hunter's microbrewery.

Gann
30-09-2014, 12:02
>> self contained, insular, real ale drinking old fart !!.

I resemble that statement..................:D

aleandhearty
02-10-2014, 16:59
>> self contained, insular, real ale drinking old fart !!.

I resemble that statement..................:D

Me too. I suspect we're not alone. :)