PDA

View Full Version : cider prices

london calling
14-09-2014, 20:35
I was in the Crown and Anchor Brixton this week and the beers on cask were around £3.80.I happened to notice the cider board and they had 2 at £4.00 and 3 at £4.50.Now I don't drink battery acid but I thought it was cheaper than beer.Has this always been the case or is this Craft cider.

Aqualung
14-09-2014, 21:07
I was in the Crown and Anchor Brixton this week and the beers on cask were around £3.80.I happened to notice the cider board and they had 2 at £4.00 and 3 at £4.50.Now I don't drink battery acid but I thought it was cheaper than beer.Has this always been the case or is this Craft cider.

There's probably an element of "craft" but I believe the duty has been increasing on cider because it was a lot lower and I can't think of any reason to defend that. Most Spoons charge the Ultra Premium price for (usually) Old Rosie or less commonly Gwynt Y Ddraig. It's all about ABV, these two are 7.0% or 7.5%. Some used to be stronger but I think these are less common now due to the Park Bench duty.

Farway
15-09-2014, 13:39
I think it is also to do with supply & demand, heavily advertised "over ice" crap to the yoof market

The reason duty was lower is same as for Scotch whisky, to protect local producers, in the case of cider the West Country and all those voters making & drinking it