PDA

View Full Version : 100 (not) out & Ale Festivals Birmingham

DannyO'Revey
25-03-2010, 21:21
Just completed 100 reviews on this excellent site. I know some have done lots more than that, but I'm quite proud to reach that milestone! Can I claim my free pint...

Also, Birmingham Camra site gives info on 2 pub festivals coming up - Pub du Vin 1-3 April and then the Victoria a week later. Unfortunately I will miss both but I expect that both would be worth a go for anybody in Central Birmingham around that time.

Hoppy Days

Danny

Andy Ven
25-03-2010, 21:46
I'll be at the Walsall Beer Festival this weekend in the Town Hall :-)

Conrad
26-03-2010, 12:13
Hi Danny,

As of this moment you join an elite group of 29 members who have achieved 100+ reviews on PG, it is a distinguished group and we are grateful to them all, hopefully it is also an expanding group as we look forward to many more members.

If we meet up at some point you may indeed claim that pint :)

Keep them coming!

RogerB
26-03-2010, 14:52
Hi Danny,

As of this moment you join an elite group of 29 members who have achieved 100+ reviews on PG

So who has done the most? I thought I was doing well on 545 but note that John McGraw has done 1,537 and Steve C 1,211 so I have a bit of way to go.

Conrad
26-03-2010, 15:05
John McGraw is in the lead with 1537, although if I am honest he is cheating as many of his are advising us that the pub is closed interspersed with reviews of pubs he liked (his photo contributions however are a completely different matter). Strongers (Steve C) is next up with the 1211, then Soup with 875.

Followed by
rpadam (Just a quick pint, then I'm off) - 771
Arthurish (Phillip Carter) - 648
bighair (James Joines) - 617

And at number 7
RoberB (Roger Button) - 545

Whilst they are all respectable, I am overjoyed with anyone who puts up more than 10, at that point I reckon you can get a good impression of what sort of thing it is they like about a pub.

RogerB
26-03-2010, 15:15
Maybe RP wouldn't have done so many had he not not just had a quick pint and left!

Conrad
26-03-2010, 15:20
Shhhhhhhhhhh, don't put him off, he is busily correcting most of the site :)

ROBCamra
26-03-2010, 16:17
Hi Danny,

As of this moment you join an elite group of 29 members who have achieved 100+ reviews on PG, it is a distinguished group and we are grateful to them all, hopefully it is also an expanding group as we look forward to many more members.

If we meet up at some point you may indeed claim that pint :)

Keep them coming!

Well I'm now on 99, so I'll need to decide which pub to award my 100th to. :p

gillhalfpint
26-03-2010, 16:33
Can I suggest a Bristil pub!!

Farway
26-03-2010, 17:06
looks like I'm a mere sprog at 216, however tonight I intend updating at least one of them

Andy Ven
26-03-2010, 18:07
John McGraw is in the lead with 1537, although if I am honest he is cheating as many of his are advising us that the pub is closed interspersed with reviews of pubs he liked (his photo contributions however are a completely different matter). Strongers (Steve C) is next up with the 1211, then Soup with 875.

Followed by
rpadam (Just a quick pint, then I'm off) - 771
Arthurish (Phillip Carter) - 648
bighair (James Joines) - 617

And at number 7
RoberB (Roger Button) - 545

Whilst they are all respectable, I am overjoyed with anyone who puts up more than 10, at that point I reckon you can get a good impression of what sort of thing it is they like about a pub.

I like this kind of MI - it promotes healthy competition. Can we have a rolling monthly league table for reviews and photos?

Oggwyn Trench
26-03-2010, 18:20
Only on 94 , must try harder:D

ROBCamra
26-03-2010, 19:36
Well I'm now on 99, so I'll need to decide which pub to award my 100th to. :p

And the answer is Cromwells Bar in Shrewsbury.

I'd asked for it to be added to PuG and reviewed it, so when Conrad added the pub it also became my 100th review.:cheers:

Conrad
26-03-2010, 19:44
In the interests of not claiming false credit, Dave approves the pubs :)

I am always reticent of doing stats too openly as I think they can demoralise where they get too high, so the suggestion of a rolling month is an excellent one. I'll look initially at adding them onto our monthly stats post as a monthly addition, but will try and find an easy way to add them to the site proper for fun, would be nice if I show them on the town pages as well to localise the competition a little :)

arwkrite
26-03-2010, 22:29
I am in the doldrums at 181. Visited Hereford yesterday and never had a drink,visited one pub for a mid morning coffee but never looked at the pumps. Hangs head in shame and disappears into the fog mumbling.

Conrad
26-03-2010, 22:37
That is fairly impressive doldrums, and you more than make up for it with forum posts which frequently make me laugh :) and the rest just make me confused :confused:

arwkrite
26-03-2010, 22:47
Conrad if you feel confused just think what its like from my end:) Its just my way off letting of steam at a world which at the moment seems a little hard to understand. Sometimes I can make it appear funny. Other times even I am uncertain of the end result. Now I am
beginning
to see a light at the end of the tunnel and it is in no small measure to being able to contribute to pubs galore and the friends I have made here. I will get off before before I start driveling.:twigs::twigs::twigs::muppet::muppet::mu ppet:

I have finally twigged whats happening...I forget to turn the spell check off.

arwkrite
27-03-2010, 00:05
Just realised My 500th Post on the forum. Wahoo!

Strongers
28-03-2010, 00:24
I’m on several crusades at the moment that all revolve around getting bladdered and writing reviews!

I started off with the task of going to every pub in Muswell Hill which was easily achieved. I then went on to trying to visit a pub in every London borough which I still haven’t achieved as this was overtaken by visiting a pub in every one of the 119 inner London postcodes. I’ve done 105 as this mission has now become visiting a pub in every London postcode of which there are another 142. I’ve only done 24 of these and when I am near finishing I will probably be trying to do something else.

This may be sad, but I’ve learnt a lot on my travels and it gets me out of the house!

arwkrite
28-03-2010, 10:35
I dont think its sad but sensible. Unless I have a plan when going out I end up at the same old places. This means pubs ,shops even towns. Its a comfortable rut but can make your life pass very quickly. I think you will find most people on this forum have some sort of plan even if its only a town or area to visit and sus out some pubs. Others go into great detail when planing. Time consuming ,but as you say it gets you out of the house, visiting new places and meeting new people. Far better than stopping at home doing crochet or needlepoint.....hang on I've dropped needle.....

gillhalfpint
28-03-2010, 10:46
I’m on several crusades at the moment that all revolve around getting bladdered and writing reviews!

I started off with the task of going to every pub in Muswell Hill which was easily achieved. I then went on to trying to visit a pub in every London borough which I still haven’t achieved as this was overtaken by visiting a pub in every one of the 119 inner London postcodes. I’ve done 105 as this mission has now become visiting a pub in every London postcode of which there are another 142. I’ve only done 24 of these and when I am near finishing I will probably be trying to do something else.

This may be sad, but I’ve learnt a lot on my travels and it gets me out of the house!

Like this idea. Will give a thought to going round Birmingham visiting a pub in all postcode areas. Just to get me out of the house of course.

Oh there's a problem - I'm rarely in the house!!

Andy Ven
05-04-2010, 18:24
In the interests of not claiming false credit, Dave approves the pubs :)

I am always reticent of doing stats too openly as I think they can demoralise where they get too high, so the suggestion of a rolling month is an excellent one. I'll look initially at adding them onto our monthly stats post as a monthly addition, but will try and find an easy way to add them to the site proper for fun, would be nice if I show them on the town pages as well to localise the competition a little :)

What about the number of establishments listed on PG, the % with at least one review and the % with at least one photo. London is obviously well covered but could you highlight which areas are most in need of attention either because they haven't been covered much or the latest reviews and photos are possibly a bit dated?

Andy Ven
05-04-2010, 18:26
[QUOTE=gillhalfpint;10707]Like this idea. Will give a thought to going round Birmingham visiting a pub in all postcode areas. Just to get me out of the house of course.QUOTE]

Best of luck ! :-)

http://wapedia.mobi/en/B_postcode_area

gillhalfpint
05-04-2010, 19:03
Gee thanks. I have saved that link. A pub in every postcode area of Bimingham. I will give it a go.

One day.............

Oggwyn Trench
05-04-2010, 19:52
Well i am over the 100 now and with a weekend to Chester coming up i should have a few more:cheers:

Conrad
06-04-2010, 00:03
What about the number of establishments listed on PG, the % with at least one review and the % with at least one photo. London is obviously well covered but could you highlight which areas are most in need of attention either because they haven't been covered much or the latest reviews and photos are possibly a bit dated?
You may want to see this rather extensive post (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?529-Friday-Stats-County-information).

Andy Ven
06-04-2010, 10:02
Thanks Conrad. Those kind of stats appeal to the anorak in me. It looks like there are rich pickings to be had in Coventry, Kingswinford and Wolverhampton

oldboots
06-04-2010, 10:35
Hopefully the figures in the October post are very out of date, I think we should have made a bit of dent in some counties, especially the south east, midlands and north east. Comparing that one with a new one should be quite interesting (hint ;) ) Is there any way of embedding it as a spreadsheet for more geeky analysis? :rolleyes:

Conrad
06-04-2010, 12:55
I'll have a look at getting the original csv we used onto the old thread. And will provide an up to date version some time this week (struggling to remember how I did it, but should be easy enough to reproduce).

Conrad
06-04-2010, 17:23
New post about stats now up (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?2018-The-updated-County-Information&p=11266#post11266).