PDA

View Full Version : The who are the most useless shower of b*stards thread

Conrad
23-03-2010, 22:32
Well my nomination for the day goes to First bus and the kindly First Bus driver I just didn't meet on the way home. Having just watched City play in a fantastic 5-3 victory I wonder off into the centre to catch my bus. Waiting at the stop with 2 blokes and a short 5' lass who appeared to be the first one there. Bus arrives and the lass flags it down.

Cue me and the 2 other blokes stepping aside to let the lass get on the bus, she appears to be a little confused by this, I then look up to see the bus driver pulling away, I swear he waited at the bus stop less than 5 seconds. Apparently other people being polite around him was too much to bear.

It is nice when you get on the bus to be advised that the drivers are now behind unbreakable glass, that you are be CCTV filmed and that the driver has a DNA testing spit kit, for the life of me though I can't think why they need all that protection I mean who would want to hurt them :confused:

All I can say is I hope the nice gentleman is swiftly found out and sacked since he clearly loves his job so much :moremad:

Sorry just needed to vent!

arwkrite
24-03-2010, 07:18
Brings to mind " The Bus Drivers School " by Bob Newhart. Your driver must have attained a First Degree with Honours in Ignorance.

RogerB
24-03-2010, 07:43
Having watched Champions elect Dartford lose 1-0 at home to bottom of the table Margate last night, I know who my current nomination would be for. :mad:

oldboots
24-03-2010, 07:57
I'm going to bet that later today it will be Alistair Darling and the Treasury. 4p a pint plus a VAT rise do you think?

RogerB
24-03-2010, 08:14
I'm going to bet that later today it will be Alistair Darling and the Treasury. 4p a pint plus a VAT rise do you think?

Nothing would surprise me. God, what a nasty day this could be. Alistair Darling followed by an FA Cup exit. I may go into hibernation from midnight.

hondo
24-03-2010, 08:25
Well my nomination for the day goes to First bus and the kindly First Bus driver I just didn't meet on the way home. Having just watched City play in a fantastic 5-3 victory I wonder off into the centre to catch my bus. Waiting at the stop with 2 blokes and a short 5' lass who appeared to be the first one there. Bus arrives and the lass flags it down.

Cue me and the 2 other blokes stepping aside to let the lass get on the bus, she appears to be a little confused by this, I then look up to see the bus driver pulling away, I swear he waited at the bus stop less than 5 seconds. Apparently other people being polite around him was too much to bear.

It is nice when you get on the bus to be advised that the drivers are now behind unbreakable glass, that you are be CCTV filmed and that the driver has a DNA testing spit kit, for the life of me though I can't think why they need all that protection I mean who would want to hurt them :confused:

All I can say is I hope the nice gentleman is swiftly found out and sacked since he clearly loves his job so much :moremad:

Sorry just needed to vent!

seems bus drivers don't like stopping

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/megabus-driver-suspended-over-claims-he-failed-to-stop-after-hitting-woman-at-bridge-1.1015324
:eek:

Eddie86
24-03-2010, 09:21
I think VAT might wait until the second budget. Whatever gets said today will be amended after the GE. Whoever is in power then will have to do the real budget.

Conrad
24-03-2010, 09:23
I think they have already ruled out a VAT rise, 4p a pint sounds about right though.

Brings to mind " The Bus Drivers School " by Bob Newhart. Your driver must have attained a First Degree with Honours in Ignorance.

Nah, he pulled away too quickly we gave up hope before he was even fully back on the road.

:D I should have thought of that, brilliant sketch, also love the Bomb Disposal not done by an expert

seems bus drivers don't like stopping

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/megabus-driver-suspended-over-claims-he-failed-to-stop-after-hitting-woman-at-bridge-1.1015324
:eek:

:eek: Not sure what to say to that one really, truly insane.

Farway
24-03-2010, 10:56

I reckon the duty will go up, so to save some money I am off down the Green Dragon this lunchtime to get some inside me whilst it is still cheap :nishelypished:

arwkrite
24-03-2010, 11:16
I reckon the forum sometimes can resemble the TypeWriting Monkeys sketch :whistle:
Good idea Farway, I will join you. Sorry it will be in different bars almost 200 miles apart.Oh Well, heres to to talking animal husbandry or may be who has got lucky with the blonde piece in the newsagents.Same thing really.

Conrad
24-03-2010, 12:03
I reckon the forum sometimes can resemble the TypeWriting Monkeys sketch :whistle:
:D

Well just found time to phone First Bus and make a complaint, to be fair to them they seem to have a professional complaint procedure all the sensible details were taken and they have promised to get back to me. I'm guessing it is my word against his, so probably a dead end, but at least it is now registered.

Conrad
24-03-2010, 12:05
Well once again I get to re-iterate that I am not a Cider drinker - and good job too, Cider duty 10% above inflation :eek:

Also apparently they are to redefine cider :rolleyes:, you may want to stockpile your apple juice just in case.

hondo
24-03-2010, 12:32
"Duty on cider will increase by 10 percent above inflation from midnight on Sunday. In September changes will be made to the definition of cider to ensure specific strong ciders are taxed more appropriately

RogerB
24-03-2010, 12:34
Good job I had a mini cider session last night in my 'Spoons local cider fest!

ROBCamra
24-03-2010, 14:14

Well just found time to phone First Bus and make a complaint, to be fair to them they seem to have a professional complaint procedure all the sensible details were taken and they have promised to get back to me. I'm guessing it is my word against his, so probably a dead end, but at least it is now registered.

I complained to First a couple of years ago after our bus left Bury bus station 5+ minutes early meaning we had a 40 minute wait for the next one.

After filling the form in I got an email noting my complaint within a few days and a further one a week or two later that said the driver concerned had been reprimanded.

They said all the right things to me, but whether or not they actually did it, who knows.

Evil Gazebo
24-03-2010, 15:31
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought, "The Who weren't that bad..."

hopwas
24-03-2010, 16:41
Well once again I get to re-iterate that I am not a Cider drinker - and good job too, Cider duty 10% above inflation :eek:

Also apparently they are to redefine cider :rolleyes:, you may want to stockpile your apple juice just in case.

People of West Country will be fuming...

Knifes are out for Darling, anyone?

Farway
25-03-2010, 10:37
People of West Country will be fuming...

Knifes are out for Darling, anyone?

OH bu66er, only booked last week for a few days away for Eden Project in May, don't suppose a few bob increase will stop me sampling some local scrumpy though

RogerB
25-03-2010, 10:46
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought, "The Who weren't that bad..."

Well hopefully you won't get fooled again. :D

Conrad
25-03-2010, 10:58
Well hopefully you won't get fooled again. :D

Barred!

RogerB
25-03-2010, 11:19

Barred!

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss! :rolleyes::D

Conrad
25-03-2010, 11:27
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss! :rolleyes::D
Thats it, I'm unplugging the Jukebox!

Rex_Rattus
25-03-2010, 13:31

Barred!

You're in good company Roger. Whenever Shakespeare went into a pub the landlord invariably shouted to him "you're bard!"

Eddie86
25-03-2010, 15:04
You're in good company Roger. Whenever Shakespeare went into a pub the landlord invariably shouted to him "you're bard!"

Your certainly barred for that!

Conrad
25-03-2010, 18:06
Going back to Darling, Ed has just published a blog entry explaining his maths on how prices will be affected by the changes.

Student Brewer blog (http://studentbrewer.blogspot.com/2010/03/quick-bit-of-maths.html)

Thanks for another interesting post, I'll let Dave check the maths (he always checks mine after all)

Conrad
27-03-2010, 11:57
In fairness to the original post I should mention I got a letter off First today:

Thank you for contacting us regarding this matter. Following an investigation we have traced the driver responsible and please be assured that the appropriate action will be taken. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. I do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion you will continue to travel with First, and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

As the letter was not blood stained I am not convinced that they are taking appropriate action ;).

Whilst it is clearly a stock letter, fair play at least they responded which is a hell of a lot better service than I frequently seem to get these days. Shame the complaint was needed in the first place really.

Farway
27-03-2010, 13:49
Veering widely off subject, but regarding buses. Down 'ere it is commonplace to say "thanks" or "cheers" to the bus driver when alighting

Is it just us or does this happen elsewhere?

gillhalfpint
27-03-2010, 14:00
I always thank the bus driver when getting off out of habit. It was weird on our London crawl getting off the bus in the middle and not saying thanks.

ROBCamra
27-03-2010, 14:00
Veering widely off subject, but regarding buses. Down 'ere it is commonplace to say "thanks" or "cheers" to the bus driver when alighting

Yes we often say thanks to the driver round the Manchester area. Mind you as he's probably Polish he won't understand anyway. :D

trainman
27-03-2010, 14:02
I often acknowledge the driver, even on London buses where, heaven knows, they have to put up with arseholes and plain evil b'stards, but on buses eslewhere, where I alight the same door, next to the driver, I always use common courtesy in exactly the style you mention Farway.
Once, having taken a country bus from Alton to Selborne for Selborne Arms, I was verifying the bus back when the driver confirmed it'd be his, in an hour or so, and that, if we weren't at the stop, he'd stop anyway and give us a toot to get us out of the pub! That's quality.

Rex_Rattus
27-03-2010, 14:16
I tend to thank the driver when passing him or her to alight at the front of the bus. But it's just not practicable when alighting at the middle doors, as there will be a dozen or more people between you and him/her by the time you get off. So, I suspect it happens everywhere, it's just that it's not so easy to do in London.

gillhalfpint
27-03-2010, 14:21
My most amazing driver was in Scotland. I was going across the top from somewhere I have forgotten to get to John o Groats, and asked driver if he went there. He said the bus didn't but he could get me there. Bus went into Thurso, when enpty he drove into a barn on a farm and parked his bus, we got into his car and he drove me into John o Groats.

I had to thumb a lift back, but I always remember the coutesy of that driver.

Conrad
27-03-2010, 15:40
I'll always thank the driver, assuming he lets me on his bus ;)

There is an excellent line of local clothing for local people round here called Beast Clothing (http://www.beast-clothing.com/) that includes this shirt:

oldboots
27-03-2010, 19:20
It's almost always done in Yorkshire to thank the driver on the way off. I came across a super bus driver in Ipswich, I was stood at the bus station finishing my burger when he asked "do you want this one mate?" so I chucked the remains of my nasty-burger and got on the bus. When we got to my stop I was a bit late pressing the button (for some reason :cheers: :nishelypished:) but he asked "did you want the one we just passed or the next?" I said really the last one but the next will do, so he stopped the bus where we were and let me off. So you see there's not that many a5rseholes driving buses.

gillhalfpint
27-03-2010, 21:16
Going to a beer festival at the Pheasant in Newlyn East, we got on a bus at Zelah and asked the driver for the nearest stop to the Pheasant. She went past the stop and put us off at the pub. We have found one or two pub friendly drivers in Cornwall.

Strongers
27-03-2010, 23:41
If anyone under the age of sixty thanks the bus driver in London all of the passengers look at them as being retarded or drunk - a sign of the times!

arwkrite
28-03-2010, 04:51
Out here in the boonies of Herefordshire it is a common courtesy to thank the bus driver. Public transport is few and far between so if you get barred it can cause real problems. Thankfully my behaviour on buses is like it always is...impeccable.

Millay
28-03-2010, 08:21
I was on a bus yesterday with one of those chatty drivers. We were going through housing estates and little villages and he was dropping people off wherever they wanted, he seemed to know most of them and where they wanted to get off. He told a story of an old dear who asked to be dropped at number 17, he was keeping an eye out for house numbers but it turned out she meant the 17th lamp post in the street :confused:

Farway
28-03-2010, 12:52
On subject of chatty bus drivers, there is a local service here, only one bus a week, on a Wednesday morning, goes to Chichester for the market. Everyone on it seems to know the rest, bus driver stops near a village pond so they can all "ahhh" at the black swans. The one I was on once went the wrong way, passengers told him he had missed " such a body out, so back he went on correct route

Actually quite a handy bus, drops of outside a JDW in Chichester