PDA

View Full Version : Is this the Bargain of the Year

Al 10000
31-07-2014, 18:38
Is this the bargain of the year,

My wife gave me a leaflet from East Midlands Trains which had come through our letterbox,

It stated go anywhere at any time on East Midlands trains on Saturday 2nd August,some sort of celebration called Red Dot day for £17.50,

so i went to Derby today and asked for a ticket to London and what time i could get a train,reply was "any train at any time there or back,if you dont want to go to London on the day go wherever you want Norwich,Liverpool",i was really surprised at this.

No concessions allowed which does'nt bother me,i dont get any.

I dont think Train Man could beat that one.

Looking forward to a good pub crawl in London now.

Aqualung
31-07-2014, 19:13
Is this the bargain of the year,

My wife gave me a leaflet from East Midlands Trains which had come through our letterbox,

It stated go anywhere at any time on East Midlands trains on Saturday 2nd August,some sort of celebration called Red Dot day for £17.50,

so i went to Derby today and asked for a ticket to London and what time i could get a train,reply was "any train at any time there or back,if you dont want to go to London on the day go wherever you want Norwich,Liverpool",i was really surprised at this.

No concessions allowed which does'nt bother me,i dont get any.

That's only 50p less than getting the cheapest advance singles to London each way, but they do need to be booked well in advance. For instance you could book right now £9.00 each way singles to London and back for the 18th October leaving Derby at 08:01 and returning from St Pancras at 20:56.
You can't get the early cheap tickets on Weekdays so it really has to be a Saturday.

Maldenman
01-08-2014, 12:15
SW trains are doing a deal at the mo where you can travel most of the network for £15 return for a day trip. I took advantage yesterday to visit the wonderful City that is Salisbury. You can't do the whole network though, nothing beyond Weymouth or Salisbury so no chance of Exeter or Bristol etc from London and only off-peak too.

Aqualung
01-08-2014, 17:42
SW trains are doing a deal at the mo where you can travel most of the network for £15 return for a day trip. I took advantage yesterday to visit the wonderful City that is Salisbury. You can't do the whole network though, nothing beyond Weymouth or Salisbury so no chance of Exeter or Bristol etc from London and only off-peak too.

I've looked into SW Trains fares and missed this one. I'd love to go back to the Wyndham Arms in Salisbury.
I assume this one does not attract Railcard Discount so if that is the case it's cheaper for me to go to Birmingham via Marylebone (3.95 EW), Birmingham / Wolverhampton (£4.95 EW) or Leicester / Derby / Loughborough (£5.95 EW).
Given the fact that Salisbury is most likely London Prices then I think I'll pass and visit the Sultan one day during the winter months.

Al 10000
01-08-2014, 18:03
That's only 50p less than getting the cheapest advance singles to London each way, but they do need to be booked well in advance. For instance you could book right now £9.00 each way singles to London and back for the 18th October leaving Derby at 08:01 and returning from St Pancras at 20:56.
You can't get the early cheap tickets on Weekdays so it really has to be a Saturday.

I only booked this ticket on Thursday,there are no restrictions i can travel on any train there and back and if there happened to be a plague of locusts descend on London i could decide to go anywhere else on the East Midlands network,in my books this is a great deal.

Aqualung
01-08-2014, 18:24
I only booked this ticket on Thursday,there are no restrictions i can travel on any train there and back and if there happened to be a plague of locusts descend on London i could decide to go anywhere else on the East Midlands network,in my books this is a great deal.

I agree, never look a gift horse in the mouth. I was sitting in a Suburban London garden last Saturday and got my shoulder blades bitten to death through a tee shirt by (I was informed) mosquitoes.
Enjoy London (I hope you've got lots of beer tokens with you!).
I'm off to Holden's and Batham's land.

trainman
14-08-2014, 19:29
Is this the bargain of the year

Sorry Al, I once got 4 of us from London to Sheffield & back for £1ew pp (megatrain), but I agree the above is a super deal and if I'd been in England (not France) and seen the offer, I'd deffo have been heading to Derby or Nottingham for the day.

gillhalfpint
16-08-2014, 09:42
Sorry Al, I once got 4 of us from London to Sheffield & back for £1ew pp (megatrain), but I agree the above is a super deal and if I'd been in England (not France) and seen the offer, I'd deffo have been heading to Derby or Nottingham for the day.

Having just spent a fortune booking all my advance and "cheap" train tickets, I looked up the megatrain and they run buses from Birmingham, but they don't run to any of the places I wanted, so phew, haven't lost out on my tickets. Will have a look in future first though.

Millay
16-08-2014, 11:16
I'm doing a few days in Derby next month and the cheapest fare from Kings Cross was £19. But booking the exact same train through Megatrain was just £6.50. I think it's because London to Derby is a national Express coach route and Megabus/train don't like to be beaten on price.

trainman
17-08-2014, 00:49
I'm doing a few days in Derby next month and the cheapest fare from Kings Cross was £19. But booking the exact same train through Megatrain was just £6.50. I think it's because London to Derby is a national Express coach route and Megabus/train don't like to be beaten on price.
I think the extra was the transfer to (next door) St Pancras to commence the journey...