PDA

View Full Version : a swift one - Star Festival Review

Blog Tracker
24-07-2014, 06:56
Visit the a swift one site (http://www.aswiftone.com/2014/07/star-festival-review.html)

Yesterday saw the start of one of the year's 'must visit' event, no not the Commonwealth Games, but the 'Star Summer Festival' (the Folly Fest). The weather played its part, being warm and sunny for a change, as the queue outside basked in the heat waiting for the doors to open.

The system was the tried and tested one used for previous festivals and I will not recap here but suffice to say that there are 46 beers in the outside marquee to sample. So sample I did.

My system at the festival is to sweep up as many new breweries as I can on the first evening, along with those beers I expect to run off quickly, and believe me, in the time I had available this was something of a challenge with so many to try. This year there is a lot of beers from the South West, many of which are new to the area, with a scattering from Wales, Norfolk, Lancashire and the Midlands. Not to forget the usual suspects.

I started with the two Mallinsons offerings, 'Trot On' and 'Hop Blending Bar Steward', preferring the latter, but only just, and then Briggs 'Symphony no2', another light hoppy and well crafted beer. Time to see what the new boys have to offer. New Lion 'Mane Event' was a little average,but their 'Pandit IPA' hit the spot for a stronger beer. I was impressed by the hoppy 'Kia Kaha' from Cwrw Lal, and the Big Clock 'Dirty Blonde' but my choice of Malmesbury 'Day Star' divided opinion. I did not care for it at all, but those who obviously have better taste than me were quite impressed. My last choice was a porter from Grey Trees in Aberdare, and it was a pleasant antidote to the light hoppy beers I had been sampling previously.

Anyway time overtook me - so I will have to revisit again tonight to try the rest of those beers I want to try. Those that look to be interesting, such as Tickety Brew 'Jasmine Green Tea', Shiny 'Silver Man' - a wheat beer, and Hamelsworde 'Early Bird' - with elderflowers, and some of those from the rarer breweries. And I want to sample what someone told me was the beer of the festival, Glentworth.'Dream Ticket' - I will let you know.

The festival runs from 5pm Thursday, then all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so add it to your list for the weekend, I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Ps Sorry no pics - so warm I forgot to take my jacket, which has my camera in it !!

More... (http://www.aswiftone.com/2014/07/star-festival-review.html)