PDA

View Full Version : Another Watered Down Beer

Aqualung
20-07-2014, 15:53
Did anyone else spot this? Wadworth's 6X has gone down from 4.3% to a pathetic 4.1%. I was never that keen on this beer as it is way too sweet for me, but I can now happily add it to my "avoid" list. I expect there will be some clown from their marketing department who will claim that they have done this after a full public consultation. This must have happened within the last year or so as it is listed as 4.3% in the current GBG.
I recently saw an article in What's Brewing or London Drinker saying that people should not overlook the old guard brewers. If this is the sort of thing they are getting up to then I'll go with the new stuff thanks.

Quinno
20-07-2014, 16:05
Did anyone else spot this? Wadworth's 6X has gone down from 4.3% to a pathetic 4.1%. I was never that keen on this beer as it is way too sweet for me, but I can now happily add it to my "avoid" list. I expect there will be some clown from their marketing department who will claim that they have done this after a full public consultation. This must have happened within the last year or so as it is listed as 4.3% in the current GBG.
I recently saw an article in What's Brewing or London Drinker saying that people should not overlook the old guard brewers. If this is the sort of thing they are getting up to then I'll go with the new stuff thanks.

Hmm well the old guard breweries are some of the worst for charging their tenants vastly inflated prices for their own brewery's beer - Fullers and Waddies spring to mind based on my local knowledge.

And if the goings-on with the new licensses at The Eldon Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1622/) are anything to go by, Waddies are disgracing themselves. I hear that they have hired a number of ex-pubco suits and I think their sharp practice and deceit have found their way into the business...

Mind you I've never liked their beer anyway, gives me the yips next morning. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fart006.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Aqualung
20-07-2014, 20:51
You must wonder how they are faring as a company. 6X used to be all over the place (didn't most Whitbread pubs sell it?). I've hardly seen it of late, but I probably don't go to pubs likely to be selling it other than Spoons.
I seem to recall they had a legal row with Ridley's when they extended their beer range and wanted to call what became their ESX the shorter SX. Wadworths threatened to sue so they had to change it. How pathetic was that?
Their beer range is pretty poor, what's the point of Bishop's Tipple? This was a decent strong dark beer brewed by Gibbs Mew of Salisbury with an ABV of around 6.5%. Now it's just anither 5% beer.

Wittenden
21-07-2014, 07:53
Pity about Wadworth's 6X. It was my epiphany beer, just prior to A levels in 1972. Naturally,I'd drunk beer for a while before, but this was the beer that made me interested in beer, not just its effects. It was really moreish, with real depth of malt and to a lesser extent , hops. Most beer was pretty poor back then, if we'd only admit it. (Excluding Fremlins, of course.)
Not going much to the West Country, I've rather lost touch,tending to avoid it when Twitbread listed it.

aleandhearty
22-07-2014, 12:25
Did anyone else spot this? Wadworth's 6X has gone down from 4.3% to a pathetic 4.1%. I was never that keen on this beer as it is way too sweet for me...

Funny that you describe it as sweet, as I always recall it had a slight tartness. Mind you, I've not had a pint of the stuff for years, as it's pretty rare round these parts, so my memory might be playing tricks on me.

Farway
22-07-2014, 13:18
I always opted for 6X given a choice, but not seen it or tasted it for a yea or so. I liked it