PDA

View Full Version : Harp Covent Garden

Aqualung
16-07-2014, 18:44
Someone called catbert on the other site has posted that as of this week the Harp is a Fuller's pub.
Does anyone know if this is real or a hoax? There is nothing on their twitter feed.

Mobyduck
16-07-2014, 18:47
Someone called catbert on the other site has posted that as of this week the Harp is a Fuller's pub.
Does anyone know if this is real or a hoax? There is nothing on their twitter feed.
I would think a Hoax, although I have heard Binnie is not in the best of health at the moment, I seriously hope its a hoax.

london calling
16-07-2014, 20:28
I have read reports today that Binnie has retired and that Fullers have paid circa £7 million. London Pride yummy.

Aqualung
16-07-2014, 20:58
I have read reports today that Binnie has retired and that Fullers have paid circa £7 million. London Pride yummy.
That's one less on my Central London list and it's already in single figures. I might as well make the whole area a no-go zone!
She should have a comfortable retirement if that figure is correct.

Pubsignman
16-07-2014, 21:00
Reported in the Evening Standard :(

http://www.standard.co.uk/business/cityspy/city-spy-pryce-shows-true-colours-for-world-cup-9609445.html

Al 10000
17-07-2014, 17:23
That's one less on my Central London list and it's already in single figures. I might as well make the whole area a no-go zone!.

It seems to me a bit,no quite sad that you only have less than 9 pubs that you like to go in in the middle of London,so the rest are no go pubs,not sure what the problem is with the probably thousand os so other proper pubs,that was a guess by the way.

I would be very happy drinking in most central London pubs,but i have already done most of them apart from the new expensive craft bars which i have no intention of doing,unless really needing to to a new pub with no others nearby.

At that rate there may only be around 60 pubs to visit in the whole country that you really like,i am glad i like going in almost any pub, because it must be very hard work finding a pub that suits you.

Aqualung
17-07-2014, 19:10
It seems to me a bit,no quite sad that you only have less than 9 pubs that you like to go in in the middle of London,so the rest are no go pubs,not sure what the problem is with the probably thousand os so other proper pubs,that was a guess by the way.

I would be very happy drinking in most central London pubs,but i have already done most of them apart from the new expensive craft bars which i have no intention of doing,unless really needing to to a new pub with no others nearby.

At that rate there may only be around 60 pubs to visit in the whole country that you really like,i am glad i like going in almost any pub, because it must be very hard work finding a pub that suits you.

My main gripe against Central London pubs is the prices and if you hit them at the wrong time the fact that they are so busy. The second and last time I went to the Harp last September it was around 10:30 and I was the only customer. I had a pint of Dark Star American Pale Ale that was £3.45 which is 25p less than I recently paid in the Brewery Tap for the same drink and it was served in far better condition. If the Harp sells anything less than four quid a pint once Fullers have settled in then I will be very surprised.
You and me have completely different priorities, mine is to visit a pub selling beer that I actually enjoy and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. If it's a beer I don't recall trying before or haven't tried in years then that is a plus. I had more than enough rubbish keg beer or undrinkable cask when I used to play darts. That priority makes Central London generally not worth bothering with. I found nearly all the Central London Spoons very disappointing compared to the better ones in the suburbs, even those in the GBG.

If I travel around London out of my area I try and find an interesting looking pub that I haven't been to and combine it with a Spoons that I like, for example the new micropub in Petts Wood.

I'm going to Derby soon and the problem there is which pubs to include and which to leave out. The difference in beer prices compared to Central London more than covers the cost of the travel, plus I will certainly be trying loads of new beers. Two pubs I will definitely be including are the Alexandra and Brunswick near the Station which I have been to before and really liked. Everything else will be new.

Summing up, why should I bother with Central London when there are plenty of places in the suburbs I'd like to go that are quieter and cheaper. I have a freedom pass so I can get anywhere in Greater London for nothing and that includes buses, tubes, Overground and DLR before 09:30.

aleandhearty
17-07-2014, 19:26
I'm going to Derby soon...Two pubs I will definitely be including are the Alexandra and Brunswick near the Station which I have been to before and really liked. Everything else will be new.

Another one you might like to consider is the Furnace Inn, Duke Street, with its on site micro Shiny Brewing. Their beers seem to wend their way up to Wakefield at regular intervals and of those I've tried I've been very impressed. Several have been nominated for BOTW, or bubbling just under.

ROBCamra
17-07-2014, 19:34
Another one you might like to consider is the Furnace Inn, Duke Street, with its on site micro Shiny Brewing. Their beers seem to wend their way up to Wakefield at regular intervals and of those I've tried I've been very impressed. Several have been nominated for BOTW, or bubbling just under.

Spent a couple of hours at Derby Festival talking to Pedro (the brewer at Shiny) as he manned their own stall.

The Furnace has won Derby POTY against some VERY stiff competition.

They also claim to be the only brewery in the UK with fishing rights on a stretch of river. In this case the Derwent. :p

Aqualung
17-07-2014, 19:45

It's on my list but the trouble is my list is way too long! I'll bear your recommendation in mind. My "target" pub to visit for a few pints is the New Zealand Arms as it's away from the centre and belongs to a small micro (and nobody has reviewed it yet). I've no doubt at all that I will visit Derby at least once again and probably wouldn't bother with all three Spoons so maybe the Furnace could be a "target" pub then, but of course there may be something completely new by then!

aleandhearty
17-07-2014, 19:56
It's on my list but the trouble is my list is way too long! I'll bear your recommendation in mind. My "target" pub to visit for a few pints is the New Zealand Arms as it's away from the centre and belongs to a small micro (and nobody has reviewed it yet). I've no doubt at all that I will visit Derby at least once again and probably wouldn't bother with all three Spoons so maybe the Furnace could be a "target" pub then, but of course there may be something completely new by then!

That's the trouble with places like Derby and Sheffield - decisions, decisions. :)

Aqualung
17-07-2014, 20:45
That's the trouble with places like Derby and Sheffield - decisions, decisions. :)

Sheffield is right at the top of my "Hall Of Shame" of places I've never been for a drink. Huddersfield is in there as well, I've wanted to visit that Sair Inn for donkey's years.

london calling
17-07-2014, 21:23
You cant buy a pub for 7 million and sell beer at £2 a pint. Fullers have been buying the best pubs they can find and in a few cases have left the beer range the same .This is probably a property investment rather than a pub investment.There are few freehold pubs now in Central London and even leaving it as it is they will make plenty of money as its mobbed most days.Dont worry be hoppy.

Aqualung
17-07-2014, 21:51
You cant buy a pub for 7 million and sell beer at £2 a pint. Fullers have been buying the best pubs they can find and in a few cases have left the beer range the same.

I wasn't saying £2 a pint, just less than £4 would be nice but I don't see it happening. You say they are buying the best pubs they can find. I seem to recall your review wasn't glowing praise (and I fully understand why!). If they put four or five of their own beers on, keep the Sambrook's and jack the prices up then I can't see it being as busy. I certainly won't worry as it's on my "avoid" list now and if Binnie turns out to have ripped Fullers off then I will be very happy!!

Mobyduck
17-07-2014, 22:20
Apparently Fullers are not going to change a winning formula, hmmm. http://www.agg.uk.com/news/2014/fuller%25E2%2580%2599s-plucks-harp-freehold-sale

ROBCamra
17-07-2014, 22:21
. My "target" pub to visit for a few pints is the New Zealand Arms as it's away from the centre and belongs to a small micro (and nobody has reviewed it yet). !

It's owned by Dancing Duck as is the Exeter Arms. I was there on Saturday, review to follow. Sorry. ;)

Try The Greyhound (Derby) and the Golden Eagle (Titan) on the way. :cheers:

Aqualung
17-07-2014, 22:32
It's owned by Dancing Duck as is the Exeter Arms. I was there on Saturday, review to follow. Sorry. ;)

Try The Greyhound (Derby) and the Golden Eagle (Titan) on the way. :cheers:

Thanks for that! At least there will be two reviews and scores for the NZ. My plans are fairly open depending on what beers are on in the Babington and NZ, so I think adding those two might stretch things too far. A further visit will have to take place.

Aqualung
17-07-2014, 22:37
Apparently Fullers are not going to change a winning formula, hmmm. http://www.agg.uk.com/news/2014/fuller%25E2%2580%2599s-plucks-harp-freehold-sale

No mention of prices of course and Fullers would hardly describe their beers as anything other than excellent despite differing opinions.
It would be nice to think that the staff have all been kept on.

Mobyduck
18-07-2014, 05:08
It would be nice to think that the staff have all been kept on.
I would hope so, they are an excellent team, especially Sarah who has been there for years.

ROBCamra
18-07-2014, 06:57
Thanks for that! At least there will be two reviews and scores for the NZ. My plans are fairly open depending on what beers are on in the Babington and NZ, so I think adding those two might stretch things too far. A further visit will have to take place.

NZ had 6 DD beers plus 2 guests on Saturday.

It's a long walk from the Babington to the NZ without refreshment though. :p

Aqualung
18-07-2014, 20:52
NZ had 6 DD beers plus 2 guests on Saturday.

It's a long walk from the Babington to the NZ without refreshment though. :p

I'll be using my coffin dodger's bus pass. Six and two guests!! It looks like there will be no coherent or legible notes or any photos after that one!!

london calling
18-07-2014, 22:03

Fullers own the Ye Olde Mitre and the Seven Stars and I have used them before and since Fullers owned them and there is little change to the beer selection or the pub or the staff.Some of the staff may change as they will not want to work for a new owner but its in Fullers interest to keep the status quo. (no not the band)

Mobyduck
18-07-2014, 22:48
Fullers own the Ye Olde Mitre and the Seven Stars and I have used them before and since Fullers owned them and there is little change to the beer selection or the pub or the staff.Some of the staff may change as they will not want to work for a new owner but its in Fullers interest to keep the status quo. (no not the band)
I agree with the Seven Stars,never been a great fan of Ye Olde Mitre before or after and not so keen on The Lamb and Flag since Fullers. I'm sure there will be a London Pride slipped into the Harp now but if they leave it at that I can live with it, prices will rise.
Status Quo haven't been the same since 1968. :D

Quinno
19-07-2014, 15:08

Let's hope the same is true of the Harp John but I am worried that in that location Fuller's will simply stuff it with London Pride at £4+ a pint. Anyway I'm going to go down there after work next week to see what's cooking and have a few ales if it's still 'old Harp'...

trainman
20-07-2014, 09:48
Let's hope the same is true of the Harp John but I am worried that in that location Fuller's will simply stuff it with London Pride at £4+ a pint. Anyway I'm going to go down there after work next week to see what's cooking and have a few ales if it's still 'old Harp'...

What day you going Quinno?

Quinno
20-07-2014, 15:05
What day you going Quinno?

Currently, Wednesday...

Aqualung
21-07-2014, 18:57
I've seen a twitter feed that says Fuller's don't move in until 05th August and they will be selling two Fuller's beers. .

london calling
21-07-2014, 20:44
Was in last night.No change and Fullers have not taken it over yet but the news of the takeover leaked out so they had to release the news prematurely.Share price I suppose.

aleandhearty
21-07-2014, 22:52
I've not got huge experience of central London pubs, but was lucky enough to visit The Harp several years ago, on a midweek afternoon. It was busy enough to have loads of atmosphere, but without the post work squeeze in the narrow space opposite the bar. I reckon I saw it in its pomp. Fullers may have honorable intentions, but I can't see it being anything but the end of an era.

Quinno
22-07-2014, 00:08
Quick update. Popped in this evening for what turned into a long, boozy session. Fuller's officially get the keys on August 5th. Barmaid (the blonde lass who has been there quite some time) said that there will be 'a couple' of Fullers ales on but otherwise things remain as usual (prices notwithstanding). Binnies Babes will be retained.

Dark Star APA, Espresso, Twickenham Red, Scarborough Mild all quaffed tonight and all excellent.

Get down there in the next two weeks, if you can. The more people who politely enquire (and express concerns) over the bar, the better...

trainman
24-07-2014, 17:17
Quinno managed to avoid me by changing his day to visit, but I ended up there last night for rather more than I'd intended, after cancelling my mission to Croxley Green Sportsman.
Fullers expected in early August, a couple of their beers next to current style of selection (last night's Darkstar APA, Palmers Dorset Gold, Oscar Wilde, all v good, and you know APA at £3.50 round here is a good price - most around Strand £3.90 & upwards, so it won't last...). Apparently Binnie was starting to struggle with stairs etc, but the excellent staff are staying - I was watching the well-oiled machine in action last night, Tim Martin should come take a look - people of this quality could treble his sales in busy pubs by simply supplying the product so much quicker, and politely, and attractively!
No-one was sure about whether the cider selection would remain - i always forget they're listed on a blackboard but, if it's a known venue among apple-heads, that too would be a shame if it were lost.
I think I heard something was planned re drinks for the old guard tomorrow (fri) nt, but i was fading a bit by then...

Quinno
24-07-2014, 22:56
I was watching the well-oiled machine in action last night, Tim Martin should come take a look - people of this quality could treble his sales in busy pubs by simply supplying the product so much quicker, and politely, and attractively!

Amen to that!

Don't blame me for changing the date of my visit, blame the Foreign & Commonwealth Office...

Aqualung
25-07-2014, 16:44
Amen to that!

Don't blame me for changing the date of my visit, blame the Foreign & Commonwealth Office...

I was once a Civil Servant, or in my case almost certainly an Uncivil Servant, how long before you resign?

Al 10000
25-07-2014, 17:51
I was once a Civil Servant, or in my case almost certainly an Uncivil Servant, how long before you resign?

I was going to put this post on one of two other threads,but decided to put it on this one.

Am i the only factory worker that is a regular on the forum,i am now back working in the same industry that i had worked in for over 20 years,i had 10 years in heavy industry and after being made redundent just under 4 years in a supermarket.

On a lot of the posts on this site i dont understand half of what is being typed,way above my head,i also did'nt understand some of the wording in ETAs review of the Olive Branch,i dont know what OCD means or what an hash tag is.

So to end am i bottom of the pile or there other regulars on this forum that are not in office work or professionals of some sort or ex professionels.

Cheers Alan

Aqualung
25-07-2014, 18:45
I was going to put this post on one of two other threads,but decided to put it on this one.

Am i the only factory worker that is a regular on the forum,i am now back working in the same industry that i had worked in for over 20 years,i had 10 years in heavy industry and after being made redundent just under 4 years in a supermarket.

On a lot of the posts on this site i dont understand half of what is being typed,way above my head,i also did'nt understand some of the wording in ETAs review of the Olive Branch,i dont know what OCD means or what an hash tag is.

So to end am i bottom of the pile or there other regulars on this forum that are not in office work or professionals of some sort or ex professionels.

Cheers Alan

I think this is a very fair point, not just for this site but for CAMRA as well. My first point is that you are not bottom of the pile in my book, even though we clearly have completely different priorities when visiting an area, and I'm sure my priorities don't match a lot of other people's.

Working in the Civil Service when I was in it did not mean you were necessarily well educated at all. Some of the most uselees and ineffectual people were from well off and privileged backgrounds. I'll never forget the time when one of the bosses (an SEO then) who was a former Army Captain decided to call a meeting to decide when another meeting should be held.
For your information OCD is an abbreviation of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and generally refers to behaviour that "normal" people would find a bit strange. When I worked in the Civil Service there was a bloke who had to continually wash his hands to the extent that the skin on his hands became raw. This is real OCD in my book whereas going round twenty pubs in a day is completely normal.
A Hash Tag is nothing more than a label that you can optionally attach to messages on Twitter (normally being perceived as humorous). I do use Twitter mostly to find out about pubs re-opening or new brewery news. I very rarely "tweet" (send messages)

Mobyduck
25-07-2014, 19:07

Cheers Alan
Never been an office worker in my life ,or would want to be,(although I may have ended up better off), worked outside all my life having flirted with self employment with varying degrees of success and failure, now earning a relative pittance but many are worse off. To me It doesn't matter what you are or do or have done, (within reason of course), its all about are you happy and enjoying what you do now, live for the day.

gillhalfpint
25-07-2014, 22:27
Never been an office worker in my life ,or would want to be,(although I may have ended up better off), worked outside all my life having flirted with self employment with varying degrees of success and failure, now earning a relative pittance but many are worse off. To me It doesn't matter what you are or do or have done, (within reason of course), its all about are you happy and enjoying what you do now, live for the day.

Well said. I became an office worker when the school said I couldn't be a long distance lorry driver. No chance for females in the early 60's. I did get the freedom of the road in the 70's though by taking a hackney licence test and enjoyed a stint of being a licensed taxi driver and that included the long hot summer of '76. Wonderful days fondly remembered.

Quinno
25-07-2014, 23:40
Should clarify, I do not work at the FCO! My drinking buddy for that night at the Harp does though... :D

And for the record I am equal opportunities - I think we're all equally as sad as each other, whether or not we've eaten a Roget's Thesaurus for breakfast.

Wittenden
26-07-2014, 14:41

Cheers Alan

Only piles I know about are from sitting on my tractor!

oldboots
26-07-2014, 20:29
Not sure where I would fit in, people have paid me at various times as a horticultural labourer, shop assistant, Barman, factory worker, office worker and IT engineer, although I've always been a layabout having spent a few years as a professional student :D

london calling
26-07-2014, 21:34
I have been a glazier for 45 years.The last 28 as a one man business through the good times (then) and the bad times (now).

Strongers
27-07-2014, 10:05
I'm was a draughtsman and then a mature student and now I'm job hunting... Not sure where that puts me?

Quinno
27-07-2014, 11:11
I'm was a draughtsman and then a mature student and now I'm job hunting... Not sure where that puts me?

Neither do I but I can tell you that your old offices opposite the Blagrave Arms in Reading are currently being demolished!

Alesonly
27-07-2014, 11:26
I've worked on the railways since the early 1970s since starting as an junior apprentice from P/way & signalling to engineering workshops Still like nothing better than working on the shop floor. Never worked in an office in my life I've always done hard manual work in engineering. Only reason I know how to use a computer now is we had to learn for doing electronic diagnostic equipment and ordering of parts these days. Now looking to retire in the next few years If I can still aford it the way things are going.

Mobyduck
02-08-2014, 19:44
Get down there in the next two weeks, if you can. The more people who politely enquire (and express concerns) over the bar, the better...
Paid my respects today, end of an era, hopefully there wont be to much of a change in the future, the good news is that Sarah is staying and there is none better behind the bar,next planned visit is a week Wednesday before making my way to the GBBF.
Thanks to Binnie for providing a fantastic pub over the years.

Quinno
02-08-2014, 21:04
Paid my respects today, end of an era, hopefully there wont be to much of a change in the future, the good news is that Sarah is staying and there is none better behind the bar,next planned visit is a week Wednesday before making my way to the GBBF.

Amen to that. Glad I got in a final session there when I heard the news. Hopefully Fullers won't mess with a winning formula beyond putting in Pride (which probably won't shift anyway?)

Bucking Fastard
03-08-2014, 10:59

Well said,and glad to hear the excellent service behind the bar will stay.

sheffield hatter
03-08-2014, 19:12

Interesting sub-thread, which probably deserves a wider audience.

I think some people are more comfortable expressing themselves via computers, but this doesn't necessarily indicate that they are office workers or "professionals"! For what it's worth, I've been a cashier in a casino, a betting office manager, and for about 10 years I was (wait for it) an office worker. I really don't think there's any "bottom of the pile" - I can't imagine any of the people I've met through Pubs Galore "looking down" on someone either because of their job or because their use of written English is a little less polished than someone else's.

london calling
05-08-2014, 20:17
I see on another group I am on that someone was complaining about paying about 30p more for his pint in the Harp since Fullers took it over They don't own the pub yet so St Binnie must be trying to make a few quid before she goes to supplement her old age pension.

Aqualung
05-08-2014, 20:34
I see on another group I am on that someone was complaining about paying about 30p more for his pint in the Harp since Fullers took it over They don't own the pub yet so St Binnie must be trying to make a few quid before she goes to supplement her old age pension.
I suspect they charge more for breweries that don't deliver direct. My Hawkshead beer recently was more expensive than I expected.

Aqualung
07-08-2014, 18:53
I've seen a tweet tonight listing the beers and it sounds like business as usual. No mention of Fuller's beers, but they obviously couldn't include them in the 140 characters.

Mobyduck
07-08-2014, 19:39
I have heard through the grapevine there may be a possible closure for a couple of weeks in the near future to" do the electrics and a bit of a tidy up" :eek:

Mobyduck
13-08-2014, 22:00
I have heard through the grapevine there may be a possible closure for a couple of weeks in the near future to" do the electrics and a bit of a tidy up" :eek:
Maybe the shenanigans have commenced, turned up at 10.30 this morning to be greeted by several notices stuck to the window saying something along the lines of The pub is unable to open due to flooding,we hope to re-open as soon as possible . Bad start to the day for me, hopefully not a convenient excuse for something more sinister, just bad luck on my part .

Mobyduck
07-09-2014, 10:39
Back in the Harp yesterday and thankfully it is pretty much business as usual ,two Fullers beers on ,Pride and ESB ,still a Darkstar presence as well as Sambrooks along with some good guests ,no current plans for a refurb which is good news, (if it aint broke don't fix it) though a re-wiring of the electrics will be done soon.
A little pricier as expected now around £3.75/£3.85 for a sub 4% beer ,still not outrageous given its location.

Mobyduck
14-02-2015, 06:51
The Harp is closed until the 26th for a "mini refurb" according to their twitter page (http://twitter.com/harppub), hope its not the start of Fullers tinkering.

Mobyduck
01-03-2015, 08:12
The Harp is closed until the 26th for a "mini refurb" according to their twitter page (http://twitter.com/harppub), hope its not the start of Fullers tinkering.

Called in yesterday,not to much has changed,a lick of paint here and there ,the gents and the ladies have switched places so now us blokes have room to "swing a cat" so to speak. There has been a little tinkering by Fullers though, opening time has been put back from 10.00 to 10.30 (a bit of a pain) but this may revert back with a bit of pressure from certain areas, we will see. The famous sausages are no more :eek: And as expected the prices continue to creep up, most beers seem to be £4.10 now, although Hophead I noted was £3.50. The Harp remains my London local though.