PDA

View Full Version : a swift one - Plans for a Bradford Brewpub unveiled

Blog Tracker
16-07-2014, 06:51
Visit the a swift one site (http://www.aswiftone.com/2014/07/plans-for-bradford-brewpub-unveiled.html)

There are certain cities that one connects with beer, and Bradford is not one of them. In fact, it is a city that I rarely visit nowadays, and certainly not for its pubs or ale. I did my degree there, for 4 years, and spent the last 8 years of my working life there, and I must admit, I do not like the place. (To put this in perspective, I know some very proud Bradfordians who love the place to bits - but even they struggle to name a decent pub in the city centre).

There are a couple or so decent pubs but stupid geography has put the 'Fighting Cock' and the 'Corn Dolly' diametrically across the city centre with about a half hour walk between. The new(est) kid on the block is the 'Sparrow' but even that is up at the top of the centre, making a triangle and after walking to each one you have certainly earned your pint !

Anyway enough of this. Today I have received an interesting e mail from BFH - he who knows all - about a proposal for a Bradford City Brewpub. The Bradford Brewery will be the first brewery in the city centre since 1955, almost 60 years, and will be housed in a 4 storey old mill building just off Westgate, which is a short walk from the city centre. It is proposed that the brewery and pub will be on different levels, but as seems to be the norm nowadays will have a viewing area, so the drinkers can view the workers !

The project will be part funded by a grant from the Bradford Council Growth Zone, and it is anticipated to cost in the region of £400,000. The brewery will have a 10 bbl plant, about 16,000 pints a week. But don't get too excited too soon, the project is still awaiting the outcome of the initial planning application for the change of use of the building, so it will be a while before it comes on stream. But we (or BFH !) will keep you posted.

More... (http://www.aswiftone.com/2014/07/plans-for-bradford-brewpub-unveiled.html)