PDA

View Full Version : Rugby - dead pub pic?

Quinno
27-06-2014, 22:55
When I was weaving my way through the backstreets having realised I had 30mins to kill before my train I snapped this one. In my advanced state of inebriation I made no note of the street but it must be near http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37247/as that's where I eventually ended up (and bumped in Roger!). I've had look through the listed closed pubs without success and the Google peg man hasn't shone any light on it either. It looks pubby but of course it may not have been. So over to you lot:

Quinno
27-06-2014, 23:05
Ah peg man came up trumps after we went down a random side street. So it seems to be on the corner of Bath Street and Market Street. Though I'm still none the wiser as to whether it's a dead pub or not

sheffield hatter
28-06-2014, 12:40
Is it possibly a former off-licence? It reminds me a little of this one (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?14580-Possible-closed-pub-in-Sheffield) in Sheffield.

rpadam
28-06-2014, 13:46
Ah peg man came up trumps after we went down a random side street. So it seems to be on the corner of Bath Street and Market Street. Though I'm still none the wiser as to whether it's a dead pub or not

It looks like the number above the door is 93, which makes it 93 Bath Street I think. Can't see any indication of this being marked as a public house on the old Ordnance Survey maps of Rugby I can find.

Mobyduck
28-06-2014, 19:44
The sign above the house number says Bottles & Bygones, cant' make out the rest though.

Aqualung
29-06-2014, 22:21
The sign above the house number says Bottles & Bygones, cant' make out the rest though.

I agree with that, I can't read the line below that but the second line says "GLASS BOTTLES & JUGS".
I THINK the third line may contain the words "GOOD CONDITION" . Given this, it may have been somewhere flogging "antique" glassware.

My killer question is this. Does it really look like a pub or a corner shop?

There's a Kenilworth Arms in Walthamstow that is actually a corner shop and as far as I can make out it's never been a pub. It's just the shop owner trying to wind me up and it worked!!

Thuck Phat
30-06-2014, 16:24
I went to school in Rugby and have lived close by since and it hasn't been a pub over those few :eek: years.

I've never heard that it was ever a pub but have no idea what it was.

Quinno
03-07-2014, 15:56
From Rugby CAMRA

The property in question used to be a curiosity / antiques shop and a small garage before that. No one in the branch can remember it ever being a pub.