PDA

View Full Version : How many pints?

Tilly-Miss
18-03-2010, 19:09
Watched an old couple of farmers in a pub drinking pint after pint of beer (mild) never see either of them pay for the rounds,they were totally smashed by early evening and do not know how they got home,i asked at the bar about them to which the girl replied they drink here everyday from 11:00 am until they can hardly stand,they drink around 18 pints each and nearly all the beer is paid for by regulars who feel sorry for them.....someone please feel sorry for me i replied.
This got me round to thinking how much can i drink (nowhere near that amount) probably 10 pints on a good shift maybe more depending on the company and obviously how one feels at the time.

So the question to you all....how many pints would you get through on a session? be honest and tell the truth:eek:do you top up with a short or chaser as well to round it off:rolleyes:

Oh by the way the 2 men are aged 87 and 83 and look a picture of health...must say something about the beer.

arwkrite
18-03-2010, 19:23
One thing is for certain their internal organ must be worth keeping in specimen jars and they will come pre pickled. Being honest I must admit three to four pints of ale is as much ale I can drink before the dreaded "bloat" sets in followed by heartburn. I tend to stick with three and avoid the acid and and burps. A couple of shorts after do not cause any problems ,it appears to be the bulk.

Maldenman
18-03-2010, 19:50
When out my biggest issue is bladder capacity. If I can cover that with pre planned stops en route home I'm ok with 10 or so over a full day. A night out though is more limited to 5 or 6 tops.

Crossste
18-03-2010, 20:00
I find these replies very reassuring as 5-6 is now my limit.

Thought i was becoming a bit of a lightweight in my dotage.

Tilly-Miss
18-03-2010, 20:26
Amazing some days drink and drink other times 4 or 5 and completly cream crackered,thanks for your honesty guys, i thought i was the only lightweight who couldnt drink to many or i am getting old and cannot be bothered,the old men should donate there organs,would be interesting to see the results.....anyway you made me feel better,i am heading to germany tomorrow for a few days working,we have a free night in Munich on sunday so i think a sample of a few of there ales will be in order...

Wittenden
18-03-2010, 21:39
In my youth I could put away 10,but as I'm a mean old sod i thought it a waste after the first 5 or 6. Nowdays on our annualish get to gethers with friends from the 10 pint days I can usually manage 5 over a long period with plenty of food and water breaks. Normally 3 is my maximum.I try to leave the shorts alone.

Conrad
18-03-2010, 21:48
Used to be that I could easily drink 6-8 pints on a night out. These days, more than 3 and I am wrecked, also a good meal is a necessity to soak the drink up.

Strongers
18-03-2010, 23:24
On an all day session I’d get through an indeterminate amount as nobody would ever remember let alone keep count. The weekend night out that I hold dear will see me drink eight pints of Pride (no Guinness on tap) in my local from 7 till 23.30 and then I’ll have a pint of Youngs in the midnight close pub beside the tube station.

No hangover in the morning due to three pre boiled eggs consumed on entry to 'be quiet towers'.

arwkrite
19-03-2010, 04:55
I forgot to mention that simply the cost of beer can be a restictive factor on regular drinking. Pretty sure those old farmer boys would not be able to afford drink such copious amounts if they were paying.
The ordering of rounds, I have noticed,has declined sharply in my area.

( I read somewhere recently that beer costs 7 pence per pint to produce. We all know where the rest goes...Gordons pocket. Makes you weep)

RogerB
19-03-2010, 08:29
I never seem to reach the stage that I could realistically answer the question :confused:. As a rough guide, I am usually still going strong up to 15 pints if I pace myself but could easily hit 20 under the right circumstances.

I think the biggest session I ever had centred on a ladies darts match challenge. An old regular of a pub in Dartford called Angus bought a pub in Lincolnshire (the Blue Bell, Luddington) and we arranged a ladies darts match as an excuse to send up about 20 of us in a mini bus. The whole village was there to greet us and we just never had a pint out of our hand. At one stage the session stretched across both pubs in the village and opening hours went out the window - it was a pretty isolated village. At one stage, a villager knocked on the door and threatened to call the police because of the noise (Angus had arranged a live band that didn't even start until midnight). He just pointed to the local bobbies who were occupying one corner of the pub joining in with the occasion. We probably went through to about 4 or 5 in the morrning before crashing out wherever there was a flat surface, including one guy who kipped on the pool table. The cleaner got a bit of a shock in the morning and ended up hoovering around the bodies as Max, the not terribly friendly guard dog, stood growling at anyone that rose from their slumbers. I think we calculated that we had about 25/26 pints throughout the night and we still arranged a lunchtime session before getting the mini bus home. Sadly both pubs in the village are now closed but I'm sure the session is now part of local folklore.

Rex_Rattus
19-03-2010, 09:19
Here's one more pitch for the lightweights. In an evening session, say from 7.30 to closing time, it would be 5 pints maximum, but if the session was longer, typically a summer BBQ from midday to late on a hot day, and where fluid replenishment is a must, then it could go up to 8 pints. I'm heartened to see that lightweightism is more prevalent than I previously thought! But I've never had a hangover, even when I've gone for the beer/wine/spirits combination (though people have told me they're not much fun) so I can repeat my lightweight dose of beer day after day.

HTM69
19-03-2010, 09:42
Hmm... well, 6 pints is my 'safe maximum'. Anymore then that and the day or evening could go either way, to be honest. The only time I truly go OTT is when out on a Friday or Saturday evening with friends in Rochester and Chatham. I'm usually OK in the pub - usually have around 4 or 5 - but it's the club afterwards that does the damage. Beer can go out the window - no ales, well, no drinkable ales - and I often resort to double Vodka and Red bull's and, shudder, shots of red, blue or green gunk. I usually wake up feeling like death.

trainman
19-03-2010, 09:48
Depends on circumstance, and mood, I suppose, but most Saturdays our trio head out somewhere new, or old, and tend to end up in the 9-12 pint region, but over the course of 9 hours or so - hopefully starting noon-ish so we can vacate the scene before the amateurs get into action. Apart from travel between pubs, I'm not sure where the time goes as we don't sip (nor flip-top) the beers. I don't tend to have evening-only sessions these days, due to prolonged absence from work, but a solo sesh, say, 3-6pm in Traf might be 6 or 7 pints.

My biggest recent sessions were a 12-pub Bristol crawl followed by a 3 hour lock-in at Cornubia (becoming the 13th-14-15th+pub), and a 14-pub stag in York plus 2 back at base, plus, for me, the bar concoction donated to the groom, who wisely refused. I did burn myself on a flaming sambuca, but otherwise avoided that bit of madness, and tend to leave top-shelf out of the equation completely. The next day's debrief was 10pts & then I didn't surface for 4 days. Reading 2 wks back was 9 pubs, 12pints, 9hrs.

Roger 'still going strong' after 15 is impressive but, moreover, scary.

hopwas
19-03-2010, 09:51
3 years ago while on Derby pub crawl, I drank 18 pints in single day and it was the experience I don't want go through again. Ended up with massive hangover for two days..:nishelypished:

Now I tend to drink between 6 to 9 on pub crawls or 4 pints on quiet night at my local. If there is beer festival on, I may drink up to 10 pints.

Seriously I need a really good session today to numb my broken arm...:moremad:

trainman
19-03-2010, 09:51
I've never had a hangover, even when I've gone for the beer/wine/spirits combination (though people have told me they're not much fun).
You're lucky Rex, they're not fun. Mine are becoming increasingly aggressive and elongated as I get older, & less wise.

Bucking Fastard
19-03-2010, 09:57
Sign me up for the lightweight club.I organise a Last Thursday of The Month evening drinking club but that rarely tops 5 pints,and the Last Friday equivalent in London starts earlier but if I get up to 7 there's every chance I will feel shocking next day.The key is ale quality,that why researching venues is so vital.Thanks for all your contributions.
With the way the mighty Palace are playing at present,I need alcohol before venturing into Selhurst Park but 3 or 4 is my limit as I dont enjoy multiple trips to the gents although the chances of missing a goal are slim.
When I am moving my boat around the canal system with a fairly motley crew,lunchtime and evening pub stops are mandatory and a half gallon lunchtime is often warranted by the lock working.Again the evening session averages 6 ,so the 10 pint boating day is the norm as long as the ale quality holds up.
A recent exception was in Manchester when a lunchtime session in The Marble Arch led to a five pinter,one of the crew fell in going down the locks in the city centre and we moored up at Castlefields basin and carried on that evening in the Knott Bar for a further 7 before pouring into a cab to the Curry Mile.Needless to say there was a lot of pushing pints of Lees around the table the following lunchtime in Lymm........

Farway
19-03-2010, 14:02
Another lightweight here, about 4 and I am topped up these days, normally I stick to 2 at lunchtime, but if beer is good sometimes it all slips down a treat and 4 it is. Trouble is I then have to get bus home, tightwad, no taxi, and finish up having to get off early to use loo

Thanks to the beer tax & Gordon I have a free bus pass and 200 beer tokens in winter as well :whistle:

hopwas
19-03-2010, 14:06
Another lightweight here, about 4 and I am topped up these days, normally I stick to 2 at lunchtime, but if beer is good sometimes it all slips down a treat and 4 it is. Trouble is I then have to get bus home, tightwad, no taxi, and finish up having to get off early to use loo

Thanks to the beer tax & Gordon I have a free bus pass and 200 beer tokens in winter as well :whistle:

And we have to be very thankful for JDW's...

Alesonly
19-03-2010, 14:27
Usually its Eight or Nine Pints when I go out for a evening session which is normally twice a week if I'm lucky depending on Rest Days off work I usually go too three Pubs and have Three Pints in each.

Dave M
19-03-2010, 14:39
As a general rule I tend to stick to a limit of four pints. I know that once I get to about five I lose the ability to say no to another.

Most I've ever had was a couple of years ago, I think I had seven pints, but it may have been eight. The young lady I was out with reckons she had seven double vodkas and two pints of cider so I must've been involved in nine rounds, but I know I wussed out and had a Coke at least once. Never again. :sick:

Oggwyn Trench
19-03-2010, 19:17
As pointed out by others it depends , a normal Saturday night would be 7-8 pints , same on a Friday unless i am working on Saturday morning then its 4-5 . The last all dayer i went on worked out at 18 pints , these days are rare maybe once a year .
Back in the days before all day opening a good mate used to drink 10 pints of Guiness at dinner time then 15 at the night session every weekend

Manky Badger
19-03-2010, 21:51
On an average saturday afternoon it's four to five pints, but "doing the gallon" isn't unusual for me.

I'm reliably informed that my record is twenty one pints of Pride at a good friend's wedding. I wasn't counting, but others (apparently) were.

rpadam
19-03-2010, 22:32
No more than one at a time?

Eddie86
20-03-2010, 00:01
No more than one at a time?

Drinking in stereo anyone?

RogerB
20-03-2010, 08:45
Drinking in stereo anyone?

Trainman is the 2 at a time expert! :notworthy:

Eddie86
20-03-2010, 15:54
There's always a show off!

PaulOfHorsham
20-03-2010, 18:50
, normally I stick to 2 at lunchtime, but if beer is good sometimes it all slips down a treat and 4 it is.

I always say that lunchtime pints count double! So I abstain, as far as possible - leaves me half asleep for the afternoon!

Anyway, evenings tend to be approx 8 - 11.30, and I get though about 5 pints, which suits me fine. Christmas 2008, we had a terrific all-dayer in The White Lion (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/towns/thakeham/west-sussex/) - I thought that I could definitely be up for the occasional 10-pints over the course of a day's session. Subsequent events have shown that to be wide of the mark!

Maldenman
20-03-2010, 19:45
Trainman is the 2 at a time expert! :notworthy:

Its something I do either at festivals or pubs with a good range but when I'm still moving on to others, so occasionally two halves it is. Sometimes you get strange looks but who cares. I like the thirds options at Spoons festivals as well.

Eddie86
20-03-2010, 22:12
I'm normally a 5 - 6 pint guy, the first is normally gone in 10 minutes and then they gradually slow.

Soup Dragon
21-03-2010, 16:34
I aim for about 10 in an all day session, sometimes it can go up one or two, but that is what i aim for. 5 for an evening session and couple of MILDs if working the next day, or i have nothing. I also do not really drink at home - cans, bottles and such like, unless it was a BBQ or something - i may have a small glass of port, but thats it - the fun to me is trying different pubs and drinks, but i will have half pints and walk out. I actually tried some Japenese lager thing in Warwick! the reviews will be out asap - but going away with the wife for a few days so more backlog!

trainman
21-03-2010, 16:56
Trainman is the 2 at a time expert!
That's what a pal said in The Retreat recently, when I started drinking his pint by mistake...
Whoops!

ROBCamra
22-03-2010, 10:20
That's what a pal said in The Retreat recently, when I started drinking his pint by mistake...
Whoops!

I tried that in the Mark Addy on Saturday with Millays pint, but he caught me before I had a mouthful. :(

Millay
22-03-2010, 13:56
I tried that in the Mark Addy on Saturday with Millays pint, but he caught me before I had a mouthful. :(

Quite right, that was the Leprechaun Stout my Beer of the Week, I wasn't going to let any go