PDA

View Full Version : a swift one - Navvy Festival - A Lincolshire treat

Blog Tracker
24-05-2014, 10:16
Visit the a swift one site (http://www.aswiftone.com/2014/05/navvy-festival-lincolshire-treat.html)

This weekend sees the summer festival at the Navigation at Mirfield, a place I usually try to fit into my years festivals list. It is a place that sources some interesting beers, and this one was no different with 30 odd beers sourced from Lincolnshire. This is a county dominated by a couple of larger breweries like Batemans and Newby Wyke, and the smaller breweries rarely make it across their border. Here was a chance to catch up with some of the less common ones.

The beers are all cellar cooled and served through handpulls and at £2.70 a pint for most of the list, was decent value for money. As usual, it was just a matter of where to start my adventure. Austendyke from Spadling were a new brewery for me and their 'Long Lane' was a traditional style bitter, good but it was what is said on the can. Likewise with 8 Sail 'Merry Miller', another traditional style beer - more malty than hoppy.

Sleaford 'Tropico' was a bit weird - it divided opinion on our table - dry and astringent to my taste; hoppy and pleasant to others. Then came Star 'Nebula' , 4.3% and very hoppy, my style of beer, and certainly the best beer so far. I was on a good run, as I followed this with 'Learning To Fly' from Tydd Steam which continued the hoppy theme.

There were four beers from Hopshackle brewery in Market Deeping, 'Zen' was a amber beer, tending towards the toffee malt rather than the hop, but not bad. 'Legacy' was 4.3% beer, which I found really pleasant and interesting - a blend of three English hops gave a flowery, herbal taste. Somewhat different to the other beers on offer.

Time was pressing and I wanted to try a couple of beers that looked interesting on the programme. Sleaford 'Hedgerow Gold' was a summer beer brewed with local honey and spices. Sounded a bit odd, and frankly the spices came through rather than the honey but it was a very quaffable beer. My swan song came from Hopshackle again. Their 'Black Mule' had been recommended by several people and the write up looked ok, a 'hybrid between an Imperial IPA and an Imperial porter'. Obviously dark but more like a black Ipa, but for a 7% dangerously drinkable, and very moreish, a good job it was time for my bus !!

Thanks must go to Derek and Kevin for another good festival, Just hope it all goes well, it deserves to,

More... (http://www.aswiftone.com/2014/05/navvy-festival-lincolshire-treat.html)