PDA

View Full Version : Yet another list

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

oldboots
11-05-2014, 13:59
25 pubs you must drink in before you die, I'm on 9

http://www.buzzfeed.com/timchester/25-legendary-british-pubs-you-need-to-drink-in-baqg

Al 10000
11-05-2014, 14:17
Ive done 10 on that list,

Spaniards London
Nutshell Bury St Edmunds
Feathers Ludlow
Jerusalem Tavern London
Britons Protection Manchester
White Lion Barthomley
Trip to Jerusalem Nottingham
Eagle and Child Oxford
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese London
Dove Hammersmith

Aqualung
11-05-2014, 14:55
I've been to nine for sure and have probably been to the Eagle and Child if it's in Central Oxford but can't remember!

One wonders what the criteria was for this list. The Jerusalem Tavern, despite appearances is not an original pub it only opened in 1996 "as a re-creation of an 18th century tavern". It's as fake as you can get!

Mobyduck
11-05-2014, 14:57
A measly three for me,
Jerusalem
Eagle and Child
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese

Mobyduck
11-05-2014, 14:58
I've been to nine for sure and have probably been to the Eagle and Child if it's in Central Oxford but can't remember!

One wonders what the criteria was for this list. The Jerusalem Tavern, despite appearances is not an original pub it only opened in 1996 "as a re-creation of an 18th century tavern". It's as fake as you can get!
Fake maybe ,but decent.

Aqualung
11-05-2014, 15:15
Fake maybe ,but decent.

I totally agree, with the St Peter's beers it's well worth a visit, but you wouldn't go to most of the others that I know for the beer.
I can't believe there isn't more than one killer pub in Scotland. I thought the Clachaig Inn at Glencoe was pretty good but that was over 40 years ago.

aleandhearty
11-05-2014, 15:51
Just the four for me:

The Spaniard, Hampstead.
Birch Hall Inn, Whitby.
Ye Olde Trip, Nottingham.
The Dove, Hammersmith.

It's so long since I was at The Spaniard, I can barely remember anything about it. The only thing that sticks in the mind is having to drink Swan Light, because I was driving. Remember that stuff? :eek:

Aqualung
11-05-2014, 15:54
It's so long since I was at The Spaniard, I can barely remember anything about it.

Same here!!

oldboots
11-05-2014, 16:33
I can't believe there isn't more than one killer pub in Scotland...

Two, the Stein Inn on Skye as well as the Clachaig; which matches the population percentage of Scotland within the UK, although on the same basis Wales punches above its weight with two, and as for Devon & Cornwall, four looks over the top.

rpadam
11-05-2014, 21:29
8. The Jerusalem Tavern, London
10. The Butcher’s Arms, Herne
11. The Britons Protection, Manchester
12. Bridge Inn, Topsham, Devon
16. Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, Nottingham
20. Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, London
21. Crown Posada, Newcastle
24. The Dove in Hammersmith
25. The Shipwright’s Arms, Hollowshore

Wittenden
11-05-2014, 21:58
Done a few, could nominate others.
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese-pre PUG days
Crown Posada, Newcastle-ditto
Nutshell, Bury St Edmunds-ditto, when it was exciting to drink Greene King
Pelican, Tacolnestone
Shipwrights Arms, Hollowshore, now reopened after the tidal surge last winter.

Aqualung
11-05-2014, 23:20
After looking up the Eagle and Child on the site I've decided that I almost cartainly haven't been to it. I don't recall ever going North up that road and as it seems to have a literary connection it would probably have been on my avoid list.

My definite 9 are these :-

1. The Spaniards, London
4. The Nutshell, Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
14. Haunch of Venison, Wilts
24. The Dove, London

I still can't believe there is nothing else of merit in Scotland. The Clachaig Inn is a climbers/walkers pub and was all keg when I was there but they did have some great Scotch and bottles of Fowler's Wee Heavy.

Why don't we produce our own lists?
I don't think any of those would make it onto mine.

hondo
12-05-2014, 08:17
Just 2

Bucking Fastard
12-05-2014, 10:14
Just four for me :o;

Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem
Dove
Jerusalem Tavern
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese

and only the first two since I started reviewing five years ago.Maybe not the greatest list from an ale point of view.

oldboots
12-05-2014, 10:20
Here's my list

1. Spaniards
11 Britons Protection
13 Birch Hall
14 Haunch of Venison
15 White Lion
16 Ye Olde Tripe
17 Stein Inn
20 Ye Old Cheshire Cheese
21 Crown Posada

I might get the second Scottish pub soon as I'll be going through Glen Coe this Saturday afternoon on the way north.

Strongers
12-05-2014, 11:03
After looking up the Eagle and Child on the site I've decided that I almost cartainly haven't been to it. I don't recall ever going North up that road and as it seems to have a literary connection it would probably have been on my avoid list.

My definite 9 are these :-

1. The Spaniards, London
4. The Nutshell, Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
14. Haunch of Venison, Wilts
24. The Dove, London

I still can't believe there is nothing else of merit in Scotland. The Clachaig Inn is a climbers/walkers pub and was all keg when I was there but they did have some great Scotch and bottles of Fowler's Wee Heavy.

Why don't we produce our own lists?
I don't think any of those would make it onto mine.

Just the four London pubs for me as apparently there are no noteworthy pubs in Sussex, Hampshire or Surrey. Seems like the author likes pubs along the M5/M6 and in Norfolk. The two in Kent are as North as you can get and a stone’s throw from each other.

These pub lists seem quite popular; my missus got sent this list via facebook!

We should compile a PuG list which some of our wordsmiths can write up properly and send out. Might raise the profile of the site a bit and cause some lively debate ;). (I think this idea may have been mooted some time ago).

Wiganer
13-05-2014, 22:38
11 for me. As usual I fall down on the South, professional Northerner that I am ;)

london calling
15-05-2014, 22:00
What about a list of 25 Pubs I Would Rather Die Than Drink In.Sounds more interesting to me.

Aqualung
15-05-2014, 22:42
What about a list of 25 Pubs I Would Rather Die Than Drink In.Sounds more interesting to me.

25 wouldn't be enough! I can think of 25 in my own borough.

Wiganer
15-05-2014, 23:40
There was that book, 'The Rough Pub Guide'. It wasn't really consistent though, it had some pubs that could be considered 'edgy' I suppose, but there was a liberal sprinkling of traditional boozers that would never be called rough, like the Briton's Protection in Manchester, for example. They were confusing 'ungentrified' with 'rough' I think. There was a programme about 10 years ago that was closer to the mark. New Penny Farthing, Liverpool anyone?

Mobyduck
16-05-2014, 05:25
There was that book, 'The Rough Pub Guide'. It wasn't really consistent though, it had some pubs that could be considered 'edgy' I suppose, but there was a liberal sprinkling of traditional boozers that would never be called rough, like the Briton's Protection in Manchester, for example. They were confusing 'ungentrified' with 'rough' I think. There was a programme about 10 years ago that was closer to the mark. New Penny Farthing, Liverpool anyone?
Probably confusing rough with urban charm. :whistle:

Mobyduck
16-05-2014, 05:32
25 wouldn't be enough! I can think of 25 in my own borough.
Not in your borough but they named it after you. Aqua Spirit (http://www.timeout.com/london/bars-pubs/aqua-spirit). :D

oldboots
16-05-2014, 08:32
.....New Penny Farthing, Liverpool anyone?

I'll second that, my review is here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubreviews/26752/) and Peter Rydings doesn't appear to like it either. You could go round to Lime St to McHale's Irish American Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55534/) or to prove I'm not anti Liverpool you could go to, or rather avoid, almost any pub in Brackley in Northamptonshire (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/brackley-town/northamptonshire/)

oldboots
17-05-2014, 14:13
Here's my list

1. Spaniards
11 Britons Protection
13 Birch Hall
14 Haunch of Venison
15 White Lion
16 Ye Olde Tripe
17 Stein Inn
20 Ye Old Cheshire Cheese
21 Crown Posada

I might get the second Scottish pub soon as I'll be going through Glen Coe this Saturday afternoon on the way north.

Make it ten, currently enjoying a pint of An Tealach in the Clachaig

Mobyduck
17-05-2014, 19:09
Make it ten, currently enjoying a pint of An Tealach in the Clachaig
Didn't think that was on the list. :confused:

oldboots
18-05-2014, 08:29
Didn't think that was on the list. :confused:
you're right, Aqualung confused me by talking about the Clachaig

Mobyduck
18-05-2014, 08:50
you're right, Aqualung confused me by talking about the Clachaig
26 pubs to drink in before you die? :D

Quinno
19-05-2014, 08:28
Eight for me

4. The Nutshell, Bury St Edmunds
14. Haunch of Venison, Salisbury
18. The Eagle and Child, Oxford

Had the Dove in Hammersmith on the ‘to do’ list for years, must try and get that ticked off this Summer. Never heard of the Spaniard so will add that to my London list as well!

sheffield hatter
20-05-2014, 10:11
Just four:

7. The Skirrid Inn
9. The Drunken Duck
16. Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem
21. Crown Posada

...and I was taken into the Spaniards by my grandparents when I was too young to drink, so I don't think that would count.

Al 10000
20-05-2014, 10:44
Eight for me

4. The Nutshell, Bury St Edmunds

Had the Dove in Hammersmith on the ‘to do’ list for years, must try and get that ticked off this Summer. Never heard of the Spaniard so will add that to my London list as well!

The Dove is a really nice Fullers house that is right next to the Thames,i have been in the pub twice because i like it so much,get in early dinner and you should bag a seat by the window which overlooks the Thames.

The Spaniards is also a nice old pub situated in the middle of Hampstead Heath,loads of busses go by from either Hampstead or Highgate,i did the pub in winter and it was still packed with tourists,with slow service,i would'nt bother trying to do it in the warmer months.

General Staal
20-05-2014, 19:13
I totally agree, with the St Peter's beers it's well worth a visit, but you wouldn't go to most of the others that I know for the beer.
I can't believe there isn't more than one killer pub in Scotland. I thought the Clachaig Inn at Glencoe was pretty good but that was over 40 years ago.

There are some decent pubs in Aberdeen, although I haven't been now for a number of years. My brother-in-law still lives there and I get some updates from him. Under the Hammer is very good. As is Blackfriars and the Mariners, although trying to talk to a drunken man who has a broad Scottish accent and no teeth, was a very interesting experience! There are plenty of others.

Aqualung
20-05-2014, 22:52
There are some decent pubs in Aberdeen, although I haven't been now for a number of years. My brother-in-law still lives there and I get some updates from him. Under the Hammer is very good. As is Blackfriars and the Mariners, although trying to talk to a drunken man who has a broad Scottish accent and no teeth, was a very interesting experience! There are plenty of others.

I've never drank in Aberdeen, Perth or Dundee. I've been to one pub in Glasgow and a few in both Inverness and Edinburgh. I couldn't tell you what any of them were, but I still find it unbelievable that none of the Scottish towns and cities don't have at least one killer pub. Quite a few of the pubs that I've been to on that list are nothing more than tourist traps, and I suspect that some I haven't been to are as well.

Gann
21-05-2014, 16:22
1. The Spaniards Inn, London
2. The Cherub Inn, Dartmouth
4. The Nutshell, Bury St Edmunds (Pre PuG days)
6. The Feathers Hotel, Ludlow (actually stayed there but again pre PuG days)
11. The Britons Protection, Manchester
12. Bridge Inn, Topsham, Devon (but again pre PuG days)
24. The Dove in Hammersmith

So almost up to half way.. A decent showing for a change..
And I wont forget the Eagle abd Child as that is where I sat next to a bunch of Tolkienites who gave me hope that there are bigger saddos out there than us pub tickers.

ETA
21-06-2014, 23:40
Another one in today's Times: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/life/food/article4125452.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_06_20

I score 0/10

Wittenden
22-06-2014, 06:17
Another one in today's Times: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/life/food/article4125452.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_06_20

I score 0/10
Me too:wont put money into Murdoch's pocket.

gillhalfpint
22-06-2014, 07:13
It says I have to pay £1 to read the full article but I have been to the one I could see, the Godolphin Arms Marazion. We went there for a beer festival in 2012. There were rumours this year it was to be developed for apartments, but it is still there and open.

rpadam
22-06-2014, 07:29
It says I have to pay £1 to read the full article but I have been to the one I could see, the Godolphin Arms Marazion. We went there for a beer festival in 2012. There were rumours this year it was to be developed for apartments, but it is still there and open.
The attractive picture is of the Bell Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/66136/) at Skenfrith - not been there either!

Aqualung
22-06-2014, 07:40
The attractive picture is of the Bell Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/66136/) at Skenfrith - not been there either!

I've never heard of Skenfrith!!
No wonder Murdoch hates the BBC if he's trying to con people into paying for online "news".

bcfczuluarmy
22-06-2014, 11:33
Not being able to see the list but finding this article http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/best-summer-pubs-Bristol/story-21273285-detail/story.html I've at least been in 3 although there appears to be an amalgamation of lists possibly.

The Kensington Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/445/)
The Pony & Trap (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54467/)
The Hare & Hounds Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/64987/)

oldboots
22-06-2014, 13:05

I score 0/10

I haven't been to the two I can see on the Times page (no money for Rupert from me either) or the three in the Bristol Post. Who thought "Pony & Trap" was a good name for a pub? Of course, I've been to a few that were a load of pony.

Farway
24-06-2014, 13:08
I haven't been to the two I can see on the Times page (no money for Rupert from me either) or the three in the Bristol Post. Who thought "Pony & Trap" was a good name for a pub? Of course, I've been to a few that were a load of pony.

And we have all been in one that was load trap

Mobyduck
18-07-2014, 22:56
Blurring the definition of Craft Beer further, Sambrooks Wandle makes it onto this list (http://www.timeout.com/london/food-drink/the-best-craft-beer-in-london?pageNumber=2)

Wittenden
20-07-2014, 18:53
Blurring the definition of Craft Beer further, Sambrooks Wandle makes it onto this list (http://www.timeout.com/london/food-drink/the-best-craft-beer-in-london?pageNumber=2)

Haven't tried any of 'em!

Aqualung
20-07-2014, 20:23

The trouble with this list is that it is all bottles. I haven't had bottled beer in a pub since Young's pubs were worth a visit and we came up with the idea of Winter Warmer with a bottle of Old Nick in as "the thinking man's brown and mild".
I've had six of them on cask and all I can say about Wandle is that it's better than Junction but shoudn't be on this list. Sambrooks do now do a good proper mild called Archer so there's hope for them yet. I suspect Wandle was just an imitation of Young's Ordinary, but as it came out before the London micro explosion it probably got a better reception than it would do today.

trainman
21-07-2014, 11:37
all I can say about Wandle is that it's better than Junction .
Really? I think the opposite. I didn't find Wandle with any flavour whatsoever in 3 attempts, right down there with gkipa, so sacked it. Junction, whilst only something I'd go for in adversity, at least displayed some vague malty character. I remain amazed that Sambrooks managed to inveigle themselves into so many outlets, and can only think they profited by pubs wanting to jump on the 'Locale' bandwaggon.

Quinno
21-07-2014, 12:11
Really? I think the opposite. I didn't find Wandle with any flavour whatsoever in 3 attempts, right down there with gkipa, so sacked it. Junction, whilst only something I'd go for in adversity, at least displayed some vague malty character. I remain amazed that Sambrooks managed to inveigle themselves into so many outlets, and can only think they profited by pubs wanting to jump on the 'Locale' bandwaggon.

Being first out of the traps just ahead of the curve works wonders - despite their beer being, IMHO, fairly pedestrian they've established themselves as a 'brand'. So yer average licensee thinks "I want a London beer that isn't Fullers". The immediate answer is then Sambrooks cos they've seen it elsewhere regularly. Plus, there's still a large market for bog-standard brown beer.

Aqualung
21-07-2014, 12:20

It may be that Wandle is the sort of beer that goes down best as the first one of the day.
To me the Junction is far too sweet as to a lesser degree is their porter. Their mild is a genuine one and well worth a go.
Many of the newer London breweries make vastly superior beers to Sambrooks, and there's a whole load I haven't even tried yet!

london calling
21-07-2014, 17:56
I have had 17 of these beers and have had 2 saisons from Partizan but not that version.All have been on cask or keg and the 2 missing are the Victorian stout and the Triple.

london calling
21-07-2014, 17:59
It may be that Wandle is the sort of beer that goes down best as the first one of the day.
To me the Junction is far too sweet as to a lesser degree is their porter. Their mild is a genuine one and well worth a go.
Many of the newer London breweries make vastly superior beers to Sambrooks, and there's a whole load I haven't even tried yet!

You may be right about the first pint of the day.I had a Wandle last week and while a bit thin was a good thirst quencher but would be tasteless if drank after something more flavoursome.

london calling
21-07-2014, 18:02
Being first out of the traps just ahead of the curve works wonders - despite their beer being, IMHO, fairly pedestrian they've established themselves as a 'brand'. So yer average licensee thinks "I want a London beer that isn't Fullers". The immediate answer is then Sambrooks cos they've seen it elsewhere regularly. Plus, there's still a large market for bog-standard brown beer.
They do get in lots of pubs and seem to be the alternative to Doombar.

Mobyduck
21-07-2014, 19:49
I don't really like either, although I found their Lavender Hill much more palatable earlier this year, all down to personal taste though.

Mobyduck
17-03-2015, 18:04
London's Best Irish Pubs (http://www.timeout.com/london/bars-pubs/londons-best-irish-pubs?cid=TOL~NL~1400575893~~CTA~2015-03-17) (allegedly)
A bit out of date with the Harps Irish Landlady.

Aqualung
17-03-2015, 19:43
Are there any genuine Irish pubs in London? I've never been to Kilburn and Cricklewood pubs apart from the Spoons. That had Irish people in it but it doeesn't make it an Irish pub. The same goes for the Blythe Hill Tavern as far as I'm concerned.
The only proper Irish pub I can recall going to was this (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25501/) one over 40 years ago which I think was at number 7 Queensland Road not 13. It was a basic two bar Ind Coope pub with no real ale and the Saloon bar had traditional Irish music several nights a week and Sunday lunchtime. They used to play the Irish national anthem at closing time and everyone was expected to stand. I only knew it as the Favourite (sic) rather than the Volunteer.

Mobyduck
17-03-2015, 20:41
Are there any genuine Irish pubs in London?
Certainly not in central London as far as I know. Its a bit of a silly list (lazy) really.

Aqualung
17-03-2015, 21:06
Certainly not in central London as far as I know. Its a bit of a silly list (lazy) really.

Agreed, despite the former landlady's heritage it was (and still is I assume) billed and run as a shrine to real ale and cider.
I vaguely remember being dragged to some place near Piccadilly Circus years ago that was supposed to be an Irish pub but it certainly wasn't, it was a fake designed to attract the gullible tourists.

sheffield hatter
18-03-2015, 15:21
1. The Spaniards Inn, London - with my grandparents, must be about 50 years ago! (I did have a drink but obviously not an alcoholic one.)
7. The Skirrid Mountain Inn, Wales - not terribly impressed with this or the other Welsh entry.
9. The Drunken Duck Inn, Ambleside - more of a restaurant than a pub these days, unfortunately.
16. Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, Nottingham - not so much a pub as a tourist attraction.
21. Crown Posada, Newcastle - the only one I've been to on this list that I would unhesitatingly revisit.
22. Groes Inn, Conwy - see Skirrid Inn above

Hoping to get to 17. Stein Inn, Isle of Skye later this year.

Al 10000
18-03-2015, 16:11
Are there any genuine Irish pubs in London? I've never been to Kilburn and Cricklewood pubs apart from the Spoons.

I did most pubs on Kilburn high road last year and quite a few of them seemed like genuine irish pubs,no real ale and grumpy service,the Royal Exchange at Paddington is another proper irish pub but with a more friendly atmosphere,i have done all but 2 on the list.

trainman
19-03-2015, 12:18
it doeesn't make it an Irish pub. The same goes for the Blythe Hill Tavern as far as I'm concerned.
BHT is Irish owned and staffed without descending to an Oirish theme. Best service one is likely to encounter in London and a very fine hostelry.
Check its nationality during the All-Ireland final, if you can get through the door..!

london calling
19-03-2015, 19:19
BHT is Irish owned and staffed without descending to an Oirish theme. Best service one is likely to encounter in London and a very fine hostelry.
Check its nationality during the All-Ireland final, if you can get through the door..!
It cant be Irish? They serve good real ale.

sheffield hatter
10-04-2015, 17:29
Revealed: The 16 best real ale pubs in Yorkshire
http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/yorkshire-living/food-drink/pubs-restaurants-wine-recipes/revealed-the-16-best-real-ale-pubs-in-yorkshire-1-7200672

Barnsley: Old No 7 (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/33676/).

Bradford: Jacobs Beer House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/40042/).

Doncaster: Corner Pin (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/33789/).

Halifax: Three Pigeons (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/40530/).

Harrogate: Harrogate Tap (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81224/).

Mirfield: Flower Pot (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/40944/).

Huddersfield: Grove Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/40654/). (Actually The Grove.)

Beverley: Chequers Micropub (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/80998/).

Keighley: Brown Cow (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/40840/).

Leeds: Kirkstall Bridge Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42846/).

Hawes: White Hart Country Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29230/).

Rotherham: Beehive (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65754/). (Actually in Harthill which is part of Sheffield, going by postal districts, but I think it must come under Rotherham Camra.)

Pickering: Sun Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29354/).

Sheffield: Kelham Island Tavern (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56068/).

Castleford: Junction (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/40287/).

York: Maltings (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43595/).

I've done nine out of these 16. The usual problems arise when looking at lists like this one:

a) Hold on a minute, [insert name of pub here] isn't even the best pub in [insert name of town here], never mind one of the best in [insert name of county here].
b) It's clearly not a list of the best 16 pubs in Yorkshire, it's a list of geographically diverse pubs where you can be fairly sure of a good pint. A good example here is the White Hart in Hawes: there are at least 16 pubs in Sheffield that are "better" than this one, but of course the list "has to" include one in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales.

...and: the Camra map embedded in the article actually lists 17 pubs (though there are 16 pub markers, the Grove and the Flower Pot having one between them), the one not mentioned in the article being:

Middlesbrough: Dr Phil's Real Ale House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/80806/)

but then , of course, everyone knows that Middlesbrough's not in Yorkshire (https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080612151734AAlGE3z), is it. Discuss....

Aqualung
10-04-2015, 17:41
but then , of course, everyone knows that Middlesbrough's (https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080612151734AAlGE3z) not in Yorkshire, is it. Discuss....

It's in the Frozen North isn't it?
I only know the Maltings and the KIT.

trainman
10-04-2015, 20:53
Middlesbrough: Dr Phil's Real Ale House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/80806/)

Looks sooo appealing from the photo!
and that's not an attack on ob's camera skills! one can only work with the subject in question...

oldboots
10-04-2015, 21:02
The list is actually a list of the Pubs of the Year of each CAMRA branch in Yorkshire apart from the one or two that didn't make it onto this list, there are other versions including one for the UK that is even more incomplete - journalism at its finest I suppose.

RE:Middlesbrough: The North Riding extends to the southern bank of the Tees, so when someone kicked it off and built some iron works there it was in Yorkshire and sadly remains so in spite of the "foughts" of some illiterate footy fans (I thought https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080612151734AAlGE3z was from Private Eye's bullitin board column); the efforts of Heath's Government or the desires of the fine people of Guisborough, Stokesley and beyond. I wont bore you with stuff about unitary councils, the border is the Tees.

End of, great stuff guys - Bogbrush

Wittenden
09-05-2015, 16:33
Craft beer in the Torygraph:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkadvice/11588783/Craft-beer-the-top-10-beers-to-try.html
I've only tried two-Proper Job and the Coniston confection.

Mobyduck
09-05-2015, 17:46
Craft beer in the Torygraph:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkadvice/11588783/Craft-beer-the-top-10-beers-to-try.html

Blue Bird , Proper Job and Dead Pony Club for me.

london calling
11-05-2015, 20:19

As I tick beers I have had ten out of ten.Adnams -jester 5.2 is the dubious one but I did have Adnams -jester 4.8 at the recent Wetherspoon beer fest.Probably the same beer but I didn't notice it was an ipa. Coniston -bluebird bitter seems a strange choice for a list of craft beers

Aqualung
11-05-2015, 20:49
They seem to be all bottled beers so it doesn't really interest me. However, I was surprised to see that Proper Job is 5.5% in bottled form so will pick up 4 for six quid next time I go to Tesco. I had it on cask once but it was in poor condition so can't really comment.

london calling
12-05-2015, 21:41
They seem to be all bottled beers so it doesn't really interest me. However, I was surprised to see that Proper Job is 5.5% in bottled form so will pick up 4 for six quid next time I go to Tesco. I had it on cask once but it was in poor condition so can't really comment.
With the exception of Goose Island they have all been on cask.They show bottled beers as you can easier find them or order them from beer shops.

Aqualung
12-05-2015, 22:10
With the exception of Goose Island they have all been on cask.They show bottled beers as you can easier find them or order them from beer shops.

The point about Proper Job is that the cask is 4.5% whereas in a bottle at 5.5% it is something I would be happy to try from the supermarket with a Multibuy option, probably next Monday!
If I were to come across it on cask with no better options I would gladly give it another go.

hondo
10-08-2015, 10:36
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkpicturegalleries/11771260/The-best-railway-station-bars.html?image=9 just 3/10 visited and no York Tap :rolleyes:

aleandhearty
10-08-2015, 11:36
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkpicturegalleries/11771260/The-best-railway-station-bars.html?image=9 just 3/10 visited and no York Tap :rolleyes:

Been to four: Sheffield Tap, Stalybridge Buffet Bar, Jubilee Refreshment Rooms, West Riding Licensed Refreshment Rooms. Much as I like the JRR, surprised to see it included ahead of the York Tap.

Bucking Fastard
10-08-2015, 12:40
Ticked off six of those namely Paddington,Kings Cross,Sheffield,Dewsbury,Stalybridge and Sowerby Bridge (and agree with a&h as ,where is the York Tap ? )

Aqualung
10-08-2015, 14:56
Ticked off six of those namely Paddington,Kings Cross,Sheffield,Dewsbury,Stalybridge and Sowerby Bridge (and agree with a&h as ,where is the York Tap ? )

And where is the North Western in Liverpool and the Codsall Station?

Al 10000
10-08-2015, 17:48
Ive done 6 on the list,

Mad Bishop & Bear,Parcel Yard,Sheffield Tap,Staylybridge Buffet bar,Great Western and West Riding Refreshment Rooms.

Not sure why the York Tap is missing and Mad Bishop and Bear is on the list.

Wittenden
10-08-2015, 19:22
None for me,though I have been to the York Tap. Usually use the Harp and the Rake as station taps,though I don't travel much by rail.

rpadam
10-08-2015, 20:34
Been to seven in recent times, plus one long ago (Great Western, Exeter), looked through the windows of another because it was closed at the time Sheffield Tap), leaving just the Railway Arms at Downham Market that has escaped me completely so far...

oldboots
11-08-2015, 07:32
Been to four: Sheffield Tap, Stalybridge Buffet Bar, Jubilee Refreshment Rooms, West Riding Licensed Refreshment Rooms. Much as I like the JRR, surprised to see it included ahead of the York Tap.

Me too plus the Harrogate Tap, and I'll third, or is it fourth?, A&H's comment about the JRR vis a vis The York Tap. The York Tap does have its detractors of course.

Aqualung
11-08-2015, 14:11
I'm on nil. I too have looked through the windows of the Sheffield Tap wondering why it was shut. Lack of time stopped me from visiting the Jubilee Rooms.
How about the café at Snowdon summit station? It's been rebuilt but the old place used to sell cider out of a plastic barrel during the limited times it was open.

hondo
19-08-2015, 12:56
" food writer Adrian Bailey named his choice of the 12 best pubs"

http://londonist.com/2015/08/what-has-happened-to-the-best-london-pubs-of-1967-part-one

http://londonist.com/2015/08/what-has-happened-to-the-best-london-pubs-of-1967-part-two

Wittenden
19-08-2015, 22:51

http://londonist.com/2015/08/what-has-happened-to-the-best-london-pubs-of-1967-part-one

http://londonist.com/2015/08/what-has-happened-to-the-best-london-pubs-of-1967-part-two

Only the Blackfriar for me, with a visit to the Old Mitre years ago.

Bucking Fastard
20-08-2015, 09:41

I can recall visits to The London Apprentice,Cittie of York,Olde Mitre and the Blackfriar but have only reviewed the latter so it's been a while for the others.

Aqualung
20-08-2015, 10:39

I haven't been to any in the last 15-20 years but in the past have been to all except the closed Barnes one, the wine place, the Salisbury and the French House.

aleandhearty
20-08-2015, 10:59
Only the Blackfriar for me...

Snap. Although I suspect I may well have visited some others during my two spells living in London, in the eighties. I honestly can't remember.

Strongers
20-08-2015, 11:47
I think I have been to all except the Beehive in Barnes due to it being closed, The French House as I probably thought it was a restaurant and the Wine Shades.

Al 10000
20-08-2015, 16:54
Ive done 6 on the list all after 2004,London Apprentice,The Salisbury,Red Lion,Bunch of Grapes,Cittie of York and ye Olde Mitre Inn

I had a look at The Old Wine Shades and decided not to do it, and i did attempt to do Jack Straws Castle but it had already closed down.

oldboots
20-08-2015, 18:01
Three for me

The Salisbury, Cittie of York and ye Olde Mitre Inn.

The Blackfriars has long been on my list and I'll add the Red Lion.

Wittenden
20-08-2015, 18:43
I honestly can't remember.

I know the feeling!

Mobyduck
20-08-2015, 22:16
Five for me,Salisbury,Red lion,Cittie of York,Blackfriar and Olde Mitre.

Al 10000
21-08-2015, 17:31
The Blackfriars has long been on my list and I'll add the Red Lion.

Make that 7 i went in The Blackfriars on 10 June 2004.

Blackthorn
04-09-2015, 09:09
The 2016 Good Food Guide includes a list of it's top 50 pubs, although one assumes that will be based on the food being served and hence may not correspond with the views of the regulars on this forum.

http://www.thegoodfoodguide.co.uk/news/2016-top-50-pubs

Regretably, as someone who enjoys eating good meals in pubs as well as driniking beer in them, I have only been to two, The Pony & Trap (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54467/) and The Hinds Head (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/70727/). The Kingham Plough (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57997/) is definitely on my "to do" list though.

Thuck Phat
04-09-2015, 10:45
Regretably, as someone who enjoys eating good meals in pubs as well as driniking beer in them, I have only been to two, The Pony & Trap (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54467/) and The Hinds Head (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/70727/). The Kingham Plough (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57997/) is definitely on my "to do" list though.

A blank for me but I've had plenty of pub meals which were a bit pony!

Wittenden
04-09-2015, 13:06
The 2016 Good Food Guide includes a list of it's top 50 pubs, although one assumes that will be based on the food being served and hence may not correspond with the views of the regulars on this forum.

None, though I like my grub.

ETA
04-09-2015, 14:51
None, though I like my grub.

Ditto

aleandhearty
04-09-2015, 15:38

None, unfortunately. However, The Star at Harome and the surprisingly omitted Angel, Hetton have been on my wish list for years.

Strongers
04-09-2015, 17:10
I've been to a Sportsman in Kent, but I don't think that they mean the one in Strood!

Mobyduck
04-09-2015, 18:12
Not a single one.

Bucking Fastard
04-09-2015, 19:16
I have to join this chorus of nul points

Aqualung
04-09-2015, 19:33

I've been to one! It's the Square and Compasses at Fuller Street in Essex. It's outside the Ridley's "Golden Triangle" so I would have only been to it twice. It's one of the superb ex Ridley's rural pubs that they didn't manage to close nor did GK afterwards. I recall trying to see if it's accessible by bus and concluding that it wasn't. It really is in the middle of nowhere!

oldboots
04-09-2015, 20:07
I've drunk in 4 but not eaten in any over the last 30 years and that doesn't include the 2 nearest to me (General Tarlton and Star at Harome). All those I know are remorselessly foody and I wouldn't call them pubs.

Entry to this guide is by subscription of course.

london calling
04-09-2015, 20:49
Surprised how few London pubs featured as it seems to be gastro-pub central.Been to the Camberwell Arms,very busy with diners but easy to get a drink only and I gave it a 7 so decent pub imo.Also been to the Harwood Arms sw6 but it was a locals pub then and you were more likely to get gastro-enteritis than gastro food.

ROBCamra
05-09-2015, 08:02
I was in The Broad Chare (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/76121/) again last week. A pub with an upstairs restaurant rather than a restaurant that pretends to be a pub.

I've also been in the Hand & Flowers before Tom Kerridge won 2 Michelin stars there and his other pub The Coach when it was The Coach & Horses.

Al 10000
05-09-2015, 17:44
Ive done 3 on the list,the Camberwell Arms and Old Cross in the last year,ive also done the Lydgate when trying do do all pubs in Greater Manchester.

Quinno
05-09-2015, 20:34
Six for me

7 The Woodspeen, Berkshire
10 The Royal Oak, Paley Street, Berkshire
15 The White Oak, Cookham, Berkshire
22 The Hinds Head, Berkshire
25 The Broad Chare, Tyne & Wear
26 The Miller of Mansfield, Berkshire

With the two in Marlow likely to be done by the end of 2015!

Surprised that The Plowden Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31623/) isn't on the list - genuinely brilliant food.

Mobyduck
12-11-2015, 18:07
Top 10 Real Ale Pubs In London (http://thelondoneconomic.com/food-drink/top-10-real-ale-pubs-in-london/11/11), 9/10 , let down by the Betsy Trotwood.

Quinno
12-11-2015, 18:16
Top 10 Real Ale Pubs In London (http://thelondoneconomic.com/food-drink/top-10-real-ale-pubs-in-london/11/11), 9/10 , let down by the Betsy Trotwood.

Children, repeat after me:

"The Bree Louise is not in any way a 'top real ale pub'"

Otherwise, same as you, never done the Betsey either. I will remedy that before Xmas, hopefully, as I have a sly conference trip lined-up...

Aqualung
12-11-2015, 19:02

I'm surprised that I've been to over half of them, I've never been to the Euston Tap, Taproom, Cask or Priory Arms.
As for the Bree Louise it was the Jolly Gardeners when I visited it over 40 years ago when I was at College. It was a Watney's pub so I probably drank Watney's Red in there. The word is that it was probably better then.
The Betsy was a bog standard Shep's pub last time I visited and I assume still is judging by the signage. How can that possibly be a top 10 London Real Ale pub?
This one seems to be an even bigger load of cobblers than the usual stuff that gets put out.

Mobyduck
12-11-2015, 19:31
The Betsy was a bog standard Shep's pub last time I visited and I assume still is judging by the signage. How can that possibly be a top 10 London Real Ale pub?
According to the reviews and ratings (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23297/) it still is, may Quinno can tell us different when he visits in the near future. Most of the others I think are decent pubs, agree about the Bree, (warm ale is never all that good) and the jury's out on The Priory Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24553/).

london calling
12-11-2015, 19:51
[QUOTE=Quinno;77412]Children, repeat after me:

Otherwise, same as you, never done the Betsey either. I will remedy that before Xmas, hopefully, as I have a sly conference trip lined

Tell that to the crowds who flock to the Bree.

Aqualung
12-11-2015, 19:55
According to the reviews and ratings (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23297/) it still is, may Quinno can tell us different when he visits in the near future. Most of the others I think are decent pubs, agree about the Bree, (warm ale is never all that good) and the jury's out on The Priory Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24553/).
By the sound of it the jury is out on the Southampton as well!
I'm playing Devil's Advocate here but is the Cask in Pimlico better than the Leather Lane place and the other branches? I prefer the Cock Tavern to the Southampton. What about the Old Fountain or even some of he Antic pubs? I wasn't sure about the Sussex but what about the two sister pubs?

london calling
12-11-2015, 20:01
If it was top pub for real ale choice the Priory and the Betsy would def be slung out
I it was top pub for quality real ale the Bree and the Southampton would be slung out
I f its the top real ale pub for braces, beards and belching stereo types they would all fail to qualify.

Mobyduck
12-11-2015, 21:09
I wasn't sure about the Sussex but what about the two sister pubs?
Definitely The Antelope (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53206/) For Me , now been six or seven times in the last year.

Aqualung
12-11-2015, 21:28
Definitely The Antelope (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53206/) For Me , now been six or seven times in the last year.

I thought you might say that! I would rather make a return visit there than the Sussex.

Al 10000
13-11-2015, 17:05
7/10 for me,

I have not done the Southampton Arms,Euston Tap and Tap Room,

i was lucky enough to visit the Cask in Pimlico when it was a proper estate pub with GK IPA on the bar,it is nice to see the Betsy Trotwood on the list,the only independant brewery tied house,you also car'nt go wrong with a pint of Master Brew in my opinion.

On a slightly different note,when i go into a pub with loads of handpumps on the bar i get slightly flustered as to what to have,so i usually go for the nearest pump which has a gravity less than 4.6%.

Strongers
13-11-2015, 17:39
8/10 for this list.

Not been to the Taproom and not sure if I have been to the Sussex. I went to RUTC and used to play Hampton mini league darts so I would be surprised if I hadn't been in at some point before I started reviewing.

Mobyduck
13-11-2015, 19:19
i was lucky enough to visit the Cask in Pimlico when it was a proper estate pub with GK IPA on the bar.
Really ?

Aqualung
13-11-2015, 19:53
Really ?

My recollection of that area was the Orange Brewery where John Gilbert brewed before going on to start up Hop Back in Salisbury.

Al 10000
14-11-2015, 14:32
Really ?

Yes,

I get more of a buzz when visiting some dire looking estate pub that will no doubt close down at some point,than going into a pub with 20 real ales on the bar.

I do try and get to what most PuG members would call really crap pubs,i dont think i am the only one on the site to do so,Quinno seems to do any pub and Rex also does any pub he comes across in London.

rpadam
14-11-2015, 21:10
i was lucky enough to visit the Cask in Pimlico when it was a proper estate pub with GK IPA on the bar.
In this particular case, I'm not that nostalgic for the former Pimlico Tram but I do understand what you mean (and at least it didn't try calling itself the 'Pride of Pimlico' like the one down the street, which really does take the biscuit).

However, I do quite like housing estate pubs that make an effort, and the Horse & Groom (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/7114/) visited on the Derby trip yesterday seemed OK to me (although I don't think that Will and Catia were so enamoured...).

sheffield hatter
14-11-2015, 21:20
However, I do quite like housing estate pubs that make an effort, and the Horse & Groom (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/7114/) visited on the Derby trip yesterday seemed OK to me (although I don't think that Will and Catia were so enamoured...).

It was the loud music - was it Gold FM? - coming out of the TV screen just above your head. Otherwise it was ok.

rpadam
14-11-2015, 21:29
It was the loud music - was it Gold FM? - coming out of the TV screen just above your head. Otherwise it was ok.
Fair enough - that was a bit of a pain!

Mobyduck
14-11-2015, 21:53
Yes,

I get more of a buzz when visiting some dire looking estate pub that will no doubt close down at some point,than going into a pub with 20 real ales on the bar.
That's more than fair enough, do what you enjoy, just doesn't float my particular boat, variety is the spice of life.

trainman
15-11-2015, 07:06
My recollection of that area was the Orange Brewery where John Gilbert brewed before going on to start up Hop Back in Salisbury.

Interesting. So GFB was not Gilbert's first brew - that may have been the likes of SW1, SW2 that were produced for OB? Now just called Orange, with a boutique hotel upstairs.

Aqualung
15-11-2015, 11:00
Interesting. So GFB was not Gilbert's first brew - that may have been the likes of SW1, SW2 that were produced for OB? Now just called Orange, with a boutique hotel upstairs.
I don't remember all that much about the Orange brewery. I think I only went there once and had a strongish Porter or Stout. The GFB name is still appropriate as it would have been the first beer at his own brewery.

Mobyduck
08-12-2015, 19:18
I don't know who puts these lists (http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/top-10/english-pubs/#page=1) together,they certainly haven't been there lately in the case of number 3, a good while now since they showcased any TT beers.
Only done two, nos 2 and 3.

Aqualung
08-12-2015, 20:51
I don't know who puts these lists (http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/top-10/english-pubs/#page=1) together,they certainly haven't been there lately in the case of number 3, a good while now since they showcased any TT beers.

Who are National Geographic?
I've definitely been to five and may have been to six as number 10 the Old Green Tree in Bath certainly rings a bell. I've definitely been to 3,5,6,7 and 8. I didn't like 7 & 8 on my visit over the last year and 5 & 6 are both Adnam's tied houses in the Southwold area which I visited over 20 years ago. It's debatable whether they are the best Adnam's houses in town.

trainman
08-12-2015, 21:23

A better hit-rate than usual for me - 8/10 from this list

oldboots
09-12-2015, 07:00
As Pub Curmudgeon pointed out on his twitter not one north of Nottingham, unsurprisingly I've only been in the Nottingham one and the Bath one.

ETA
09-12-2015, 07:43
Only been in one, the Betjeman, and it certainly wouldn't make my top 100.

Quinno
09-12-2015, 09:21
6/10 - but it's a crap list from a lazy writer.

Bucking Fastard
09-12-2015, 15:49
6/10 as well,but it's a poor list.....................

Al 10000
09-12-2015, 17:23
Only 4/10 for me,

Royal Oak, Borough,pretty ordinary pub,but with it being a Harveys tied house,i had to do it.
Cambridge Blue, Cambridge,ok and some decent real ales
Old Green Tree,Bath,top notch pub,the best we did on our 18 pub Bath crawl
Canal House, Nottingham,i can remember when this pub opened,it was originally a free house,we always enjoy a last drink in here before getting the bus home.

I usually get a 7 or 8 out of 10 on the lists.

rpadam
09-12-2015, 21:10
Only 4/10 for me.
Me too... (1, 2, 3 and 8).

Wittenden
22-12-2015, 13:45
From The Grauniad:http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/dec/22/ten-best-beers-christmas?CMP=share_btn_tw
None tried:have never tried mail order for beer, and our M and S is tiny, and I very much doubt if it will have the Adnams. Any way its too late for Christmas:I'm not venturing back into Ashford.

aleandhearty
22-12-2015, 14:50
From The Grauniad:http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/dec/22/ten-best-beers-christmas?CMP=share_btn_tw
None tried:have never tried mail order for beer...

Just the Table Beer, for me. Have to say I was impressed and actually preferred it to some of its stronger siblings. I rather like the concept of mail order beer, but when you can get 4 X500ml bottles, of something reasonable, from Asda, (eg. Ilkley Black, Saltaire Cascade) for £5, for me it's a financial no-brainer. How some of these online businesses stay afloat, I've no idea.

Aqualung
22-12-2015, 15:53
None tried:have never tried mail order for beer, and our M and S is tiny, and I very much doubt if it will have the Adnams. Any way its too late for Christmas:I'm not venturing back into Ashford.

I've had Adnam's Jester on cask. With some of those prices I'm not likely to be ever trying most of them.

oldboots
22-12-2015, 17:00
Just the Rodenbach Grand Cru for me, not to every ones taste but I love it. I got it from Beerhawk as well as they're local.

All Innes & Gunn beers are disgusting. Mikkeller can be good but are over rated, likewise Wild Beer. Kernal I like as well but not their prices. Not tried any Weird Beard, Howling Hops or Brew by Numbers.

My other Christmas beers in the same box from Beerhawk,

Harveys Imperial Russian Stout
Nogne O IPA
Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA
Westmalle 8
Maradsous 10
Harviestoun Old Engine Oil (cos there was no Ola Dubh)
St Bernardus Prior 8
Delerium Tremens Christmas
Durham White Stout
Harrogate Pine Woods

london calling
22-12-2015, 19:42
Five definites for me and possibly BBNO--01-01.The pictured bottle shows 01-10 but I am sure I had their first saison(didn't like it ) I hate the way they number the beers as they are not memorable not like a named beer.Had the kernel,wierd beard ,wild beer,adnams and one of my favourite beers Rodenbach.The landlord of the Magpie and Crown Brentford used to get 4 barrels of this around Christmas time each year when it was my local.Last drink of the night, then okay maybe just one more,definitely my last one seem to happen regularly for me. Very rare beer on draught.

sheffield hatter
24-12-2015, 11:08
http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/dec/24/best-uk-pubs-walks-for-boxing-day

Mobyduck
24-12-2015, 11:39
Just the one for me, Bull and Last, maybe its the walking bit that puts me off.

AlanH
24-12-2015, 13:23

Only done a walk from one (Wizard, Alderley Edge) but been in 5 oop North.

Wittenden
24-12-2015, 14:19
Just the CB for us, though The Gunton Arms is on the list, perhaps when the step daughter graduates... Glad to see the CB beer range has improved from wall to wall Masham Mafia.

Strongers
24-12-2015, 15:15
Just the one for me, Bull and Last, maybe its the walking bit that puts me off.

Ditto, and I wouldn't cross the road to revisit let alone walk around Hampstead Heath.

rpadam
24-12-2015, 15:20
Only visited three, but this is quite an interesting feature (if a bit 'foody') and probably a contender for the 'pub list of the year' (admittedly up against some generally feeble opposition).

sheffield hatter
24-12-2015, 15:50
Only visited three, but this is quite an interesting feature (if a bit 'foody') and probably a contender for the 'pub list of the year' (admittedly up against some generally feeble opposition).

I've done six of these, and almost made it to the CB (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58527/)when cycling in the Dales in autumn - the wind and weather dictated a change of route. Another near miss would have been The Inn At Whitewell (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/19087/) when I lived the wrong side of the Pennines back in the 70s. I've walked and driven in the Forest of Bowland, but never stopped for a drink, somehow.

I could name half a dozen pubs in the Lake District with more interesting walks (and better pubs, for that matter) than the Three Shires Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60988/). In fact I walked to the Britannia Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54836/) on Monday and the Travellers Rest Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/63181/) on Tuesday this week.

bcfczuluarmy
24-12-2015, 17:10
Just the one on my doorstep for me The Three Tuns (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/696/) The only walking I've done is to the next pub.

oldboots
25-12-2015, 19:23
CB and Bridge in Newcastle, we certainly don't walk to the CB and I've only ever walked to the Bridge from other pubs in Newcastle, also been in the Tyne Bar mentioned in the same breath. The Stubbing Wharf is on "the list" when I do Hebden Bridge in a month or two.

Bucking Fastard
26-12-2015, 19:53
Failed to get to a pub today but in the past have been to the Bridge Tavern,Three Tuns and ,as you might suspect,Stubbings Wharf ,Hebden Bridge.

Mobyduck
23-01-2016, 20:28
One for the Sarf Londoners, http://www.timeout.com/london/blog/29-pubs-and-bars-south-londoners-love-012216 ,
only done nos 24 , walked into 10 and straight back out again.

Bucking Fastard
24-01-2016, 07:11
One for the Sarf Londoners, http://www.timeout.com/london/blog/29-pubs-and-bars-south-londoners-love-012216 ,

Just three for me,Woolpack,Old Red Lion and Mayflower but all these visited quite recently.

Mobyduck
24-01-2016, 07:44

Just three for me,Woolpack,Old Red Lion and Mayflower but all these visited quite recently.

Iv'e done The old Red Lion as well, didn't initially recognise the picture and thought it must be a different pub ,until I looked at the address. The Woolpack looks interesting ,is it a good pub?

Bucking Fastard
24-01-2016, 09:58
Iv'e done The old Red Lion as well, didn't initially recognise the picture and thought it must be a different pub ,until I looked at the address. The Woolpack looks interesting ,is it a good pub?

It's (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24306/) decent enough,the photo is of the upstairs room accessed via the spiral staircase.However beware hipsters,it's in a very fashionable street .

Mobyduck
24-01-2016, 10:00
It's decent enough,the photo is of the upstairs room accessed via the spiral staircase.However beware hipsters,it's in a very fashionable street .

Hey .I'm a Hampshire hipster.:D

Aqualung
24-01-2016, 17:08
Hey .I'm a Hampshire hipster.:D

Is that a Hamster???

Aqualung
24-01-2016, 17:16
I've been to three all way back in the 1970s the Mayflower in Rotherhithe, The Bull in Streatham and the Dog & Fox in Wimbledon. I can't say I have the slightest desire to return to them. The only one that was a decent pub then was the Bull.

Maldenman
25-01-2016, 12:31
The Dog and Fox.......seriously. I do not think so. Mayflower still a cracker.

Mobyduck
25-01-2016, 20:42
Is that a Hamster???

Has possibilities . :eek:

london calling
26-01-2016, 19:52
Been in 9 of them and like Moby am surprised at the Old Red Lion.The bar serves 2 different rooms and cask beer is always in the other side.Looks different at night.Also the Four Thieves picture is of the event room not the pub side. The picture doesn't do it justice.I was in the Woolpack a few weeks ago not overly impressed and am gutted I didn't know about the upstairs room.Would have got a higher rating from me.

Wittenden
27-01-2016, 10:28
http://www.top50gastropubs.com/ None of these!

ROBCamra
27-01-2016, 10:36

A very London centric list.

But I have been in The Bridge (49) and The Broad Chare (28) both in Newcastle, several times each and have eaten in both of them.:cheers:

Quinno
27-01-2016, 11:25
Been in 6, with two others on the list likely to get ticked in 2016.

Never eaten in any of them though!

AlanH
27-01-2016, 11:51

I have eaten in three of them but all a while ago.

10. Masons Arms, Devon - Also stayed a few nights.

35. Fishpool Inn, Cheshire - Before the latest expensive upgrade

48. Parkers Arms, Lancashire - More than ten years ago.

I can't see me adding to my tally in the near future.

Bucking Fastard
27-01-2016, 15:11

Proud to say me neither !

bcfczuluarmy
27-01-2016, 16:10
3 for me too.

The Pony & Trap (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54467/)
The Gurnards Head Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56087/) Don't think it was Gastro in 2005 when I was living in St Ives, seem to recall it was a shithole.
The Red Lion (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/73350/)

oldboots
27-01-2016, 16:22
I've drunk in

28. Broad Chare
40. Wellington (memorable as the barman walked off and didn't give me my change, only about 7p but ....)
49. Bridge

I've eaten as well in 13. The Rat. Wonder if it's still got the chamber pot collection.

aleandhearty
27-01-2016, 17:01
Just the Truscott Arms (47), for me. Back in the early eighties, it was an alehouse of some renown, run by a Fawlty-esque landlord.

Aqualung
27-01-2016, 17:15

Remarkably I've been in at least four of these. I'm sure I must have been to the Red Lion and Sun as I'm fairly certain I've been to all of the pubs on the summit of Highgate Hill. I'm less certain about the Bull and Last down the road.

The Marksman E2
This was a noted Ale House way back, probably early 80s when it sold Pitfield beers amongst others. It was pretty basic as were all of the E2 pubs.

The Beehive White Waltham
This was a fairly standard village pub that was GBG listed. It made a handy stop if returning from Brakspear outings South of Henley.

Anchor & Hope SE1
From what I recall this was Charles Wells first London outlet. If that is wrong then the first one would have been in the extreme Northern suburbs. It was a basic local boozer that I went to several times and in which I've played darts at least once.

The Beckford Arms Fonthill Gifford
Note the list is wrong here as the village is Fonthill Gifford a few miles to the North West of Tisbury. I knew this was an independent brewery pub but couldn't remember which one. A 1982 GBG reveals it was Wadworth. I only came here once from Tisbury which would have included a visit to the South Western by the Station that sold Tisbury brewery beers.
I can't remember much about it other than it being a village local that was a bit snooty compared to East London pubs.

It's goes without saying that I've not eaten in any of these apart from the sandwiches for the dart teams in the Anchor & Hope!

Rex_Rattus
27-01-2016, 18:59
Interesting list. Visited 5 - Harwood Arms when it was pub, it's not now. Others I've visited are still pubs of sorts - Red Lion & Sun, Anchor & Hope, Canton Arms (popular CAMRA SW London pub), and Truscott Arms. Obviously not eaten any "gastrogrub" in any of them!

Mobyduck
27-01-2016, 19:52
A very London centric list.
I wouldn't say "very London centric", Southern centric yes, 10 (20%) from London ,11 from the North. Anyhow been in none, to eat or drink.

Pubsignman
27-01-2016, 20:31
Anyhow been in none, to eat or drink.

You've been to The Bull & Last (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23771/), which is the only one I've done from the list.

Mobyduck
27-01-2016, 20:54
You've been to The Bull & Last (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23771/), which is the only one I've done from the list.

Oh yes :muppet:, and I quite liked it.

ETA
28-01-2016, 17:26
Only one I've been in is the Jugged Hare, and it's far from being in my top 50 gastros. I'll try the Anchor and Hope next time I'm in London, though, out of optimism.

Farway
29-01-2016, 12:26
2008, nearly went in The Greyhound on the Test (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14057/) but thought it was dingy & unwelcoming inside, walked up the road to give kiss of death to The Greyhound on the Test (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14057/), liked but now closed

Wittenden
01-02-2016, 17:39
Not really my cup of tea,but if I drank real ale from a CAN...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/beer/the-10-best-fruit-beers-to-welcome-in-spring/

london calling
01-02-2016, 19:41
I have had 4 of those.All cask or keg.This is going to be the year of the fruit beer.

aleandhearty
02-02-2016, 10:14
Not really my cup of tea,but if I drank real ale from a CAN...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/beer/the-10-best-fruit-beers-to-welcome-in-spring/

Just the Ilkley Saison, for me. I'm sure it'll be available at Wakefield Rhubarb Festival, in a couple of weeks time, alongside celebratory brews from Five Towns and Fernandes.

On a different note, I know several of us are fans of the majestic Titanic Plum Porter. Can't believe it's not good enough to be included. Probably not poncey enough.

sheffield hatter
02-02-2016, 10:18
Where do journalists go to school these days: "orange vyes for attention on the palate " - "vyes"? WTF?

sheffield hatter
02-02-2016, 10:19
I know several of us are fans of the majestic Titanic Plum Porter. Can't believe it's not good enough to be included. Probably not poncey enough.

...or not unpleasant enough.

aleandhearty
02-02-2016, 10:31
Where do journalists go to school these days: "orange vyes for attention on the palate " - "vyes"? WTF?

:D Yes, indeed. Similarly, had to laugh at this recent review of the Reliance, in Leeds, that mentioned 'sophisticated pallets'.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/what-s-on/bar-and-pub-reviews/bar-review-the-reliance-leeds-1-7701783

london calling
02-02-2016, 18:38
Just the Ilkley Saison, for me. I'm sure it'll be available at Wakefield Rhubarb Festival, in a couple of weeks time, alongside celebratory brews from Five Towns and Fernandes.

On a different note, I know several of us are fans of the majestic Titanic Plum Porter. Can't believe it's not good enough to be included. Probably not poncey enough.

First rule of fruit beers.They must be brewed with fruit.

aleandhearty
03-02-2016, 13:00
First rule of fruit beers.They must be brewed with fruit.

In which case, I certainly walked into that one! With there being being whole plums shown on the pump clip, I naively assumed that's what they used in the brew and not 'natural plum flavouring'. Still a great beer, though.

london calling
03-02-2016, 19:17
In which case, I certainly walked into that one! With there being being whole plums shown on the pump clip, I naively assumed that's what they used in the brew and not 'natural plum flavouring'. Still a great beer, though.

They do give the impression its real plums on the pumpclip but don't hide the true info. Its a big seller so they seem to know what they are doing.Wetherspoons many moons ago had a plum beer from Poland at their fest.Loved that one.

hondo
08-03-2016, 10:59
"Here we’re going to look at some of the best traditional pubs outside"
http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/food-and-drink/pubs/the-8-best-heritage-pubs-outside-manchester

ROBCamra
08-03-2016, 11:32
http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/food-and-drink/pubs/the-8-best-heritage-pubs-outside-manchester

I've only been in 8 out of 8. :evilgrin:

trainman
08-03-2016, 11:46
Only 2 for me, but a timely reminder that I need to head North for a few days! I love these classics.

AlanH
08-03-2016, 12:09
As another old Manchester pub rambler, I guess I completed the 8 about 1970, or 1 BC (Before Camra!).

All classics. Reminds me that I am due a trip back to Manc. :cheers:

:manutdfc:

Quinno
08-03-2016, 14:56
A big fat 0 for me. Manchester and surrounds are an area I've not visited since since before I got into this reviewing lark. Must get remedied!

ROBCamra
08-03-2016, 15:14
A big fat 0 for me. Manchester and surrounds are an area I've not visited since since before I got into this reviewing lark. Must get remedied!

It's not been a venue for a PuG crawl yet. Although a weekend may be more appropriate than just an afternoon. :evilgrin:

Aqualung
08-03-2016, 15:32
I've been to Rochdale once, Middleton once (Lees visit) and Stockport twice (both for Robinsons visit). They don't ring any bells for me apart from possibly the Cemetery at Rochdale but I really don't know. As for Stockport, Old Tom was consumed before, during and after the visits so everything was a complete blur.
I've definitely never been to the other places.
The conclusion is it's a possible 1 or 2 but more likely 0/8.

Bucking Fastard
08-03-2016, 16:58
Just the Station Buffet Bar for me but it always gets a visit when in Stalyvegas .

Bucking Fastard
08-03-2016, 16:59
It's not been a venue for a PuG crawl yet. Although a weekend may be more appropriate than just an afternoon. :evilgrin:

An excellent suggestion :cheers::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::nishelypished:

Al 10000
08-03-2016, 17:21
8 out of 8 for me,

No surprise for me as i have blitzed large areas of Greater Manchester.

Mobyduck
08-03-2016, 19:07
0/8 :(

oldboots
08-03-2016, 20:45
one definite, one maybe.

aleandhearty
09-03-2016, 11:05
Thought I was heading for 0/8, until Stalybridge Buffet Bar saved my bacon. Some cracking looking pubs though.

oldboots
06-04-2016, 19:22
Two more plus the Coventry one that should have gone here,

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/wales-beer-gardens-terraces-outdoor-11135681

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/11-brilliant-birmingham-pubs-you-11147089

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/whats-on/food-drink-news/coventrys-top-ten-pubs-bars-11142186

oldboots
06-04-2016, 20:21
http://www.examiner.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/national-beer-day-10-huddersfield-11148614

and

http://www.examiner.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/pints-breweries-warm-welcomes-along-9753465

Real Ale Ray
07-04-2016, 08:14

1 out of 8 for me, must try harder!

Bucking Fastard
07-04-2016, 09:53

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/wales-beer-gardens-terraces-outdoor-11135681

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/11-brilliant-birmingham-pubs-you-11147089

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/whats-on/food-drink-news/coventrys-top-ten-pubs-bars-11142186

One in Wales (Corn Mill,Llangollen but before my reviewing began )

Five in Brum

Four in Cov

sheffield hatter
07-04-2016, 10:01
I've been to Rochdale once, Middleton once (Lees visit) and Stockport twice (both for Robinsons visit). They don't ring any bells for me apart from possibly the Cemetery at Rochdale but I really don't know. As for Stockport, Old Tom was consumed before, during and after the visits so everything was a complete blur.
I've definitely never been to the other places.
The conclusion is it's a possible 1 or 2 but more likely 0/8.

Old Tom (https://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/beers/brands/old-tom) (8.5%ABV) should definitely be limited to just one (half) per day. It's a wonder you made it home!

Bucking Fastard
07-04-2016, 10:02
http://www.examiner.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/national-beer-day-10-huddersfield-11148614

and

http://www.examiner.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/pints-breweries-warm-welcomes-along-9753465

Ticked off ales from 6 of those 12 breweries.

Only supped in one of those pubs.:o

I'm weeping...................

Aqualung
07-04-2016, 10:22

I went to the Snowdonia Parc 15 to 20 years ago..
In Brum It's just the Post Office Vaults and the Wellington (is there ANYONE who hasn't been there?).
As mentioned elsewhere in Coventry it's the 3 JDWs and the Whitefriars.

Aqualung
07-04-2016, 10:30
the poor souls who don't live in Yorkshire, read 'em and weep

Shurely the fortunate people who reside in the glorious civilisation South of the M25????

AlanH
07-04-2016, 11:33

Wales - 1/30, and I live there!!. Corn Mill, Llangollen, about once/week
A strong South Wales bias of 25 south to 5 North!

Birmingham - 0/11, never been outside New Street Station.

Coventry - 0/10, often been sent there but never arrived!

Al 10000
07-04-2016, 16:43

One done in Wales,the Albany in Cardiff
Five done in Birmingham
None done in Coventry despite doing over 30 pubs in the city while going to watch Forest hopefully beat them,most were dumps in the city centre with the rest being in the Hillfields area of the city,most no doubt probably closed down.

Delboy20
07-04-2016, 22:02

Only 1 in Wales - Mount Stuart - Cardiff

All in Brum not including the Off Licence !

5 in Cov - 3 Spoons, Gatehouse and Old Windmill

rpadam
07-04-2016, 22:55
Nine out of ten - will try to go to the unreviewed Drapers next time I'm in the city.

Wittenden
11-04-2016, 18:41
From the Torygraph:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/pubs-and-bars/from-brilliant-beer-to-first-rate-food-the-best-pubs-in-britain/
Only one for me:The Swan on the Green (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59087/), though not recently, and not reviewed on this site.

oldboots
11-04-2016, 18:49
Seven, numbers 1,7,11,12,15,18,& 20 and two of those are outstandingly ordinary. Piffle as usual.

Aqualung
11-04-2016, 20:18
From the Torygraph:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/pubs-and-bars/from-brilliant-beer-to-first-rate-food-the-best-pubs-in-britain/
Only one for me:The Swan on the Green (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59087/), though not recently, and not reviewed on this site.

Only four 1,4,11 and 17. The Leigh-on-Sea one was years ago.

Bucking Fastard
12-04-2016, 17:14

Just 4 ,numbers 1,7,9 &11 but BrewDog Camden best for beer :eek:

aleandhearty
12-04-2016, 18:01
Just three for me:

1. Hand & Heart, Nottingham.
11. Wellington, Birmingham.
22. Jolly Fisherman, Craster.

Strongers
12-04-2016, 20:15
5, 9, 11 and 19 when it was the Islington Tap.

Mobyduck
13-04-2016, 07:56
Film locations, http://www.shortlist.com/food-drink/18-uk-pubs-from-famous-films?utm_content=buffer6afbf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#gallery-7
Just two for me, 6 and 16.

Blackthorn
13-04-2016, 08:56
As is usually the case with these lists, I have failed miserably with only one visited - No. 18, The Crown in Stony Stratford. When I started reading about Hot Fuzz I thought I was sure to have been in that one as it was filmed in Wells and I've done them all there. But apparently the pub was in Beaconsfield.

I have however photographed The Globe in Covent garden if that counts?

AlanH
13-04-2016, 15:27
Only 1/20

No.2 Dry Bar, Manchester.
Their only claim to fame that they pushed for about 10 years, was that Shaun Ryder and Liam Gallagher were barred.
They had a strict age policy. If you had reached mid 20's, you were too old!

ETA
13-04-2016, 15:41
List of pubs to visit before you die (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/)

Here's another good list.

So far I've managed 0.02% of the pubs listed.

Strongers
13-04-2016, 16:27
List of pubs to visit before you die (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/)

Here's another good list.

So far I've managed 0.02% of the pubs listed.

Ha... your link sent me here: The Far Canal (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/67687/)

oldboots
13-04-2016, 20:42
Film locations, http://www.shortlist.com/food-drink/18-uk-pubs-from-famous-films?utm_content=buffer6afbf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#gallery-7

Just the one and obviously it's The Vic & Comet and naturally I had a "finn glass" (even though that scene was filmed in the now gone pub next door).

Mobyduck
15-04-2016, 18:51
And the lists will not cease , https://inews.co.uk/essentials/lifestyle/food-and-drink/unforgettable-bars-uk/, only The Small Bar for me on this one.

oldboots
16-04-2016, 08:59
Just the Friends of Ham, so I can see what kind of bars make this list.

aleandhearty
16-04-2016, 09:53
Just the Friends of Ham, so I can see what kind of bars make this list.

:D Indeed.

Wittenden
16-04-2016, 13:14
And the lists will not cease , https://inews.co.uk/essentials/lifestyle/food-and-drink/unforgettable-bars-uk/, only The Small Bar for me on this one.

None of these,though not many appeal.

Aqualung
16-04-2016, 22:43

Blimey! I've been to the Urban Tap House in Caerdydd. The hyphenated author of this list is the sort of person I would gladly give the Basil treatment to as in Manuel of the classic sitcom.

oldboots
17-04-2016, 07:54
Blimey! I've been to the Urban Tap House in Caerdydd. The hyphenated author of this list is the sort of person I would gladly give the Basil treatment to as in Manuel of the classic sitcom.

But surely she'd raise the "tone"?

Bucking Fastard
17-04-2016, 14:53

Four for me 3,16,17,18 but only 18 The Crown ,Stony Stratford in my reviewing phase.

Bucking Fastard
17-04-2016, 14:57

Small Bar,Bristol and Friends of Ham,Leeds and both on PuG crawls :)

oldboots
01-05-2016, 19:04
Another with a goodly dose of bullshit, still a few gems in there;

http://www.esquire.co.uk/food-drink/bars/a9866/the-best-pubs-britain-summer-2016/

ROBCamra
01-05-2016, 20:52

http://www.esquire.co.uk/food-drink/bars/a9866/the-best-pubs-britain-summer-2016/

Yep a few gems with quite a large dose of "I really don't do pubs" wankerism. :evilgrin:

Mobyduck
01-05-2016, 23:18

Have managed 10 on the list, with 2 or three others on my to do list, wankerism aside:D.

Bucking Fastard
02-05-2016, 08:20

Visited 12 of those,some decent names in there .

Aqualung
02-05-2016, 10:19

I've been to 13 of them plus one I'm not sure about (the Nags Head in Belgravia). The Cap & Feathers in Tillingham (an obscure part of Essex) was a Crouch Vale pub around 25 years ago.

Al 10000
02-05-2016, 11:21
I have done 20 on the list,
I thought most pubs looked to be decent enough to be on that list.

oldboots
16-05-2016, 16:41
I don't think we've had a Scottish one, a few missing surely? I've done 2

http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/beverage-day-10-scottish-pubs-7910621?platform=hootsuite

Aqualung
16-05-2016, 17:12

http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/beverage-day-10-scottish-pubs-7910621?platform=hootsuite

Back in 1971 I spent a whole week in Glencoe and in the Clachaig Inn every night. It was all keg then. That's my only one.

aleandhearty
16-05-2016, 17:24

A big fat zero, for me. Apart from a couple of nights in Auld Reekie, I've had very little drinking time in Scotland.

Pubsignman
16-05-2016, 17:54
I once found myself staying in the Cairndow Stagecoach Inn after our intended hotel in Inveraray double booked our room. I didn't think the place had a public bar so I didn't bother to add it to the site, although I see someone has since put that right. It's a lovely part of the world and the Fyne Ales Brewery is just up the road.

AlanH
16-05-2016, 18:28

Only 1 so far as all I got was a load of adverts and a questionnaire but no pubs!
The one is The Clachaig (from a previous post) where I stayed for two weeks about 20 years ago.

Aqualung
16-05-2016, 19:23
Only 1 so far as all I got was a load of adverts and a questionnaire but no pubs!
The one is The Clachaig (from a previous post) where I stayed for two weeks about 20 years ago.

Blimey.... I was a poor student when I was there and had to camp and scavenge for food out of the Hotel bins!

oldboots
16-05-2016, 19:38

Globe Inn, Dumfries (there are 2 listed on PuG), The Globe Inn (Burns Howff) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/48405/) or The Globe Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/48406/)
The White Hart Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/49225/) Edinburgh
Stein Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/70546/) Skye
Bankfoot Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/51037/) Perthshire
Belsair Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84007/) Orkney
King Tut's Wah Wah Hut (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/76298/) Glasgow
Stagecoach Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81137/) Cairndow, Argyll
Clachaig Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/70483/) Glencoe
The Scotia Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/50009/) Glasgow
Ship Inn, Fife, not clear which one The Ship Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/49324/), Ship Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/49361/), The Ship Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/49483/), or The Old Ship Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/49513/)

sheffield hatter
16-05-2016, 21:35
Ship Inn, Fife, not clear which one The Ship Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/49324/), Ship Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/49361/), The Ship Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/49483/), or The Old Ship Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/49513/)

This one (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/49483/), judging by the pub sign.

sheffield hatter
16-05-2016, 21:57
Globe Inn, Dumfries (there are 2 listed on PuG), The Globe Inn (Burns Howff) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/48405/) or The Globe Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/48406/)

Very confusing. I would guess the one with the Burns associations. Have the people who write these lists not heard of postcodes? Even Google maps is confused, with photos of the Howff attached to the map point for the ordinary-looking back-street local (https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Globe+Inn/@55.0685477,-3.6182841,3a,75y,299.06h,83.06t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-ISrsyzU0D20%2FVx3O_HD6m0I%2FAAAAAAAAJmE%2FSskNCkIF Osk3aGdMp5mP2ik6UEniZ2nqwCLIB!2e4!3e11!6s%2F%2Flh3 .googleusercontent.com%2F-ISrsyzU0D20%2FVx3O_HD6m0I%2FAAAAAAAAJmE%2FSskNCkIF Osk3aGdMp5mP2ik6UEniZ2nqwCLIB%2Fw203-h101-n-k-no%2F!7i5656!8i2828!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xe5151ec270563a 3d!8m2!3d55.0685477!4d-3.6182841!6m1!1e1?hl=en-US).

I'm fairly sure which of the two Alan Winfield would rather have gone into for a beer, though.

Bucking Fastard
17-05-2016, 19:08
It's a big fat zero for me too,I really must "do" the Forth & Clyde ,Union ,Crinan and Caledonian canals before hanging up my captains hat.;)

Mobyduck
17-05-2016, 19:19
None for me.

AlanH
17-05-2016, 21:24
The White Hart Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/49225/) Edinburgh
Stein Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/70546/) Skye
Bankfoot Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/51037/) Perthshire
Belsair Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84007/) Orkney
King Tut's Wah Wah Hut (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/76298/) Glasgow
Stagecoach Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81137/) Cairndow, Argyll
Clachaig Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/70483/) Glencoe
The Scotia Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/50009/) Glasgow

Thanks for the list, ....................... but still only The Clachaig! :(

Delboy20
20-05-2016, 18:43
Not sure if this has been put on here before ? 10 micropubs in the Midlands and Shropshire.

http://nativemonster.com/food-and-drink/top-10-micropubs-in-the-midlands-and-shropshire

Del.

Aqualung
20-05-2016, 21:26
Not sure if this has been put on here before ? 10 micropubs in the Midlands and Shropshire.

http://nativemonster.com/food-and-drink/top-10-micropubs-in-the-midlands-and-shropshire

Del.

That link doesn't work for me!

sheffield hatter
20-05-2016, 21:52
That link doesn't work for me!

I think their website is down. It says "try again later", but I really need to go to bed.

bcfczuluarmy
20-05-2016, 21:57
Working for me with no issue

Hail To The Ale - Claregate, Wolverhampton
Weavers Real Ale House - Kidderminster
The Whippet Inn - Lichfield
The Little Ale House - Bromsgrove
Salopian Brewery - Hadnall
The Pheasant Pub - Wellington
Stonehouse Brewery - Weston
The Ludlow Brewing Company - Ludlow
Barley Mow Inn - Trefonen
All Nations - Madeley

Not sure with some of the names that they would all fit the micropub true checklist, but sure they do.

Oh and none for me.

rpadam
20-05-2016, 22:46

All Nations - Madeley

Not sure with some of the names that they would all fit the micropub true checklist, but sure they do.

Oh and none for me.
Link doesn't work for me either, but there seem to be some interesting places listed here.

The only one I've been to is the All Nations at Madeley, which hardly qualifies as a micro-pub, but remains one of those "must go to" establishments on almost any list...

Aqualung
20-05-2016, 22:49

All Nations - Madeley

Oh and none for me.

I've been to six but the All Nations and Pheasant are not micropubs! They have both been normal pubs for donkey's years. A microbrewery pub isn't necessarily a micropub either so I have doubts about the brewery taps listed.