PDA

View Full Version : Happy St Patrick's day!

hopwas
17-03-2010, 09:38
For our cousins across the Irish Sea, Happy St Patrick's day!

Sadly I won't be drinking JDW's special Irish beers (Hildfen's Irish Red springs to my head :() today because I am almost skint.

RogerB
17-03-2010, 09:46
For our cousins across the Irish Sea, Happy St Patrick's day!

Sadly I won't be drinking JDW's special Irish beers (Hildfen's Irish Red springs to my head :() today because I am almost skint.

Both my local ';Spoons had it on "available soon" last night, presumably ready for today. I might pop in just to give it a sample but i'm certainly not going to hang around for any specific "celebrations". I think my BotW is already sorted for this week anyway!

Millay
17-03-2010, 09:52
I may well sink a pint or two of the black stuff today, or a Hilden ale if I can find one.

I'm wondering if the 'Twats in Hats' turn out for St Paddy's Day in Edinburgh like they seem to in most other large cities.

HTM69
17-03-2010, 10:29
St Patricks Day? Bah! We don't celebrate St Georges Day, do we? It's just a marketing scam - and personally, I don't need an excuse to drink Guinness, anyway.

an_ecumenical_matter
17-03-2010, 10:39
I may well sink a pint or two of the black stuff today, or a Hilden ale if I can find one.

I'm wondering if the 'Twats in Hats' turn out for St Paddy's Day in Edinburgh like they seem to in most other large cities.

Quite right Clive. I'll be in the Nags Head Reading and the Bootlegger in High Wycombe drinking ENGLISH REAL ALE !!!! Its days like this when I'm unproud to be irish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alesonly
17-03-2010, 10:47
I was in my local Wetherspoons last night and I ended up trying the following Ales all were in good condition. But thats it for me this week as I'm on duty rest of the week after today. I wont bother tonight as you get too many once a year Drinkers in on days like today.

BOX STEAM FUNNEL BLOWER

OKELLS AILE

ARUNDEL BLACK BEASTIE

WARWICKSHIRE CHURCHYARD BOB

Evil Gazebo
17-03-2010, 12:56
Isn’t the whole St Patrick’s Day thing in England one of the greatest marketing schemes ever devised? I honestly don’t remember any fuss at all, say, 20 years ago, regarding the 17th of March over here. Then Guinness seemed to co-opt the whole day into their ‘brand’ - which they have consistently been extremely good at pushing, and year by year England has become increasingly awash with English people falling about wearing oversized novelty shamrock hats and leprechaun related tat.

And as HTM69 points out, the English have never really gone in for celebrating their own patron saint the way that the Irish, Welsh and Scots do. Perhaps recently St George crosses have become more visible on April 23rd, but in my experience this seems largely done as an opportunity for the Daily Mail to blast, “It’s political correctness gone mad” above a picture of some angry-looking oaf who claims to have been banned from flying the English flag in his own garden.

A happy St Patrick’s Day to PG’s Irish members, though. (At least, to those who wish to celebrate it, before AEM gets fired up again…)

Dave M
17-03-2010, 13:24
Isn’t the whole St Patrick’s Day thing in England one of the greatest marketing schemes ever devised? I honestly don’t remember any fuss at all, say, 20 years ago, regarding the 17th of March over here. Then Guinness seemed to co-opt the whole day into their ‘brand’ - which they have consistently been extremely good at pushing, and year by year England has become increasingly awash with English people falling about wearing oversized novelty shamrock hats and leprechaun related tat.
As a marketing exercise it is absolutely brilliant. At least it gets people going to pubs too.

I find it interesting to see Charles Wells trying to do the same for Bombardier on St Georges Day. I can't help wondering if CAMRA should be trying to turn April 23rd into Warm Beer Day.

A happy St Patrick’s Day to PG’s Irish members, though. (At least, to those who wish to celebrate it, before AEM gets fired up again…)
My celebrations are going as far as wearing a green shirt as a nod to my Irish parentage. I certainly wont be visiting O'Neill's for a Guinness, although when I walk past later I shall have a laugh at those wearing the shamrock hats.

Conrad
17-03-2010, 13:34
Dave just pointed out to me that Soup has been causing trouble on St Patrick's day (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56123/).

Looks to me like that is the owner of the pub :). Just in case anyone takes that the wrong way - I would far rather publicans took positive action rather than negative, so getting a regular to rebut or posting along with an invite to try the pub again suits me just fine.

Farway
17-03-2010, 15:28
I find it interesting to see Charles Wells trying to do the same for Bombardier on St Georges Day.

Oddly enough my local has thankfully ignored St Paddy day entirely, but is getting some Bombadier in for St George's

Eddie86
17-03-2010, 16:41
We do both - any excuse to get people into the pub, and the first real celebration since we've revamped. Live Irish folk band tonight, trying to get some morris men for St George's

Grailhunter
17-03-2010, 21:29
Sadly I won't be drinking JDW's special Irish beers (Hildfen's Irish Red springs to my head :() today because I am almost skint.[/QUOTE]

Millay and myself tried the Hildens Irish red today in the Foot of the Walk JDW in Leith and it was really not nice. We both had to leave unfinished pints. Hopefully it was just off and not supposed to taste like it did. If it hadn't been for the fact it was only £1.75 a pint I think we would have taken them back. As it was we couldn't be bothered complain and just moved on the next pub, the Central hotel where we had an equally undrinkable pint of Deuchars IPA. Must be something about Leith !!

RogerB
17-03-2010, 22:14
I had a pint of the Irish Red on the way home tonight - it was OK but nothing special, certainly not bad enough not to finish it. Must be Leith!