PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 "Craft" beer pubs in Central London.

Aqualung
24-04-2014, 21:09
Lists are always a good way of generating heated arguments but as I can only recall visiting two of these pubs in their current incarnations I'm out. However, I would say that I don't like the phrase "craft beer pubs" at all and don't think it applies to certainly the Harp and probably not the Old Coffee House.

This (http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/apr/24/top-10-craft-beer-pubs-central-london) is a Guaridan Journalist's view of things.

I've never even heard of the Lyric but recognise all the other names.

Quinno
25-04-2014, 08:19
Not too bad a list, though I was less than impressed by The Lyric (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22307/)

Mobyduck
25-04-2014, 19:20
I have been in six of the ten on the list,How do you define a craft bar/pub? To me The Harp is definitely not whereas I would say The Holborn Whippet , Euston Tap and The Old Red Cow are. The remaining two The Craft in Leather Lane despite its name and abundance of craft beers also has a very good range of cask/real ale available and as a pub still feels like a boozer,ditto The Queens Head . Its down to your personal definition .

london calling
25-04-2014, 21:55
To be a Craft beer pub you need to be selling cask, keg or bottles from the assumed craft breweries.I have been in all ten pubs .They all fit the definition for me but if someone asked me to name craft beer pubs neither the Coffee House or the Harp would have sprung to mind.I think cask beer is craft but only certain brewers and sometimes only certain beers from brewers.

Mobyduck
26-04-2014, 06:20
To be a Craft beer pub you need to be selling cask, keg or bottles from the assumed craft breweries.I have been in all ten pubs .They all fit the definition for me but if someone asked me to name craft beer pubs neither the Coffee House or the Harp would have sprung to mind.I think cask beer is craft but only certain brewers and sometimes only certain beers from brewers.
You mean like Green King IPA (http://www.greenekingipa.co.uk/files/4413/3337/4743/12393-CFTM-Web-Banner.jpg). "Crafted For The Moment" :D

Bucking Fastard
26-04-2014, 09:06
Not a bad list,I have been in five of them.Surprised that The Southampton Arms is not included,I got well and truly "crafted" in there last night:nishelypished:

Quinno
26-04-2014, 09:11
Not a bad list,I have been in five of them.Surprised that The Southampton Arms is not included,I got well and truly "crafted" in there last night:nishelypished:

Not 'central' enough.

Aqualung
26-04-2014, 10:56
Not 'central' enough.

I assume the only post codes considered were WC, EC, W1 and possibly SW1. I'd better shut up before someone starts asking "where is Central London?".

Al 10000
26-04-2014, 14:16
Ive done seven on that list,

All before craft beer had been invented,which i am pleased about.

For all you craft beer buffs on this site you should try this beer pictured,a proper craft beer,it says craft beer on the label so it must be a craft beer,if any are intereseted
it costs 99p in Lidl

1057 :evilgrin:

Aqualung
26-04-2014, 14:40
Ive done seven on that list,

All before craft beer had been invented,which i am pleased about.

For all you craft beer buffs on this site you should try this beer pictured,a proper craft beer,it says craft beer on the label so it must be a craft beer,if any are intereseted
it costs 99p in Lidl

1057 :evilgrin:

...and here are some pretentious reviews (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/160/96818/) of it!!

Al 10000
26-04-2014, 14:54
...and here are some pretentious reviews (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/160/96818/) of it!!

The reviews seem alright to me,
But then again i am no beer expert,it must be better than the drink of brewdog 5am saint i had in brewdog Nottingham that was about £8.00 a pint or so,i carnt quite remember what it cost after i got up off the floor after being told about the price of this cold crap fizzy drink.

Mobyduck
26-04-2014, 22:24
Think its a body swerve beer for me.

Aqualung
26-04-2014, 23:06
The reviews seem alright to me.

It would certainly be nice with a cheese sandwich or that kind of thing, it's pleasant, light, no off-flavours. If it were out of the fridge, it would probably go well with gambas in tapas

I've no idea what gambas in tapas are which surely makes it pretentious. Is it a "special" cheese sandwich?

I'm with you on Brewdog pubs as I have a good idea of their prices and wouldn't even consider going in one of them. Sadly the days of cheap "craft" keg beers in the William IV in Leyton are over so I no longer drink them, but I still think you're mistaken to dismiss them completely. Having said that if you're embarked on a 20 pub crawl the last thing you need is a 7-12% ABV beer.

Despite our differences I DO understand where you're coming from with your mission to visit every single pub in the UK. I used to crawl around selected independent brewery pubs back in the day but sadly a number of them are now defunct. The last one I completed was Fullers, but I wouldn't even dream about trying to do it now as their pubs are a complete rip-off.

ROBCamra
27-04-2014, 08:44
I've no idea what gambas in tapas are which surely makes it pretentious. Is it a "special" cheese sandwich?

Gambas is Spanish for prawns as in Gambas Pil Pil or Gambas con Salsa Tomate. Spicy prawns or prawns in tomato sauce. :cheers:

Still pretentious in a beer reviw though. :p

Al 10000
27-04-2014, 12:28
I'm with you on Brewdog pubs as I have a good idea of their prices and wouldn't even consider going in one of them. Sadly the days of cheap "craft" keg beers in the William IV in Leyton are over so I no longer drink them, but I still think you're mistaken to dismiss them completely. Having said that if you're embarked on a 20 pub crawl the last thing you need is a 7-12% ABV beer.

Despite our differences I DO understand where you're coming from with your mission to visit every single pub in the UK. I used to crawl around selected independent brewery pubs back in the day but sadly a number of them are now defunct. The last one I completed was Fullers, but I wouldn't even dream about trying to do it now as their pubs are a complete rip-off.

You are quite right about about me not wanting to drink beers that are too strong when on a pub crawl,i dont like drinking anything over 4.5% if possible,this helps me get more pubs done.

I have also done the same as you in trying to do all pubs from certain independant breweries,i managed nearly all Shipstones,Kimberley and Home tied house,i have also done nearly all Joseph Holt,Everards and Holdens tied house,plus all Donnington houses.

london calling
27-04-2014, 19:46
I was in Brewdog Shepherds Bush last night and on were
brewdog -dead pony club 3.8 £4.25
brewdog -fake lager 4.7 £4.50
magic rock -slapstick 5.0 £4.50
Cromarty -hop your cherry 4.5 £4.50
by my calculations the cheapest craft keg bar in London

london calling
27-04-2014, 19:52
You mean like Green King IPA (http://www.greenekingipa.co.uk/files/4413/3337/4743/12393-CFTM-Web-Banner.jpg). "Crafted For The Moment" :D

If they want to call it Craft beer fine but it wont make me buy it.

london calling
27-04-2014, 19:55

The Hack and Hop just off Fleet st fits the bill.

Aqualung
27-04-2014, 21:00
I was in Brewdog Shepherds Bush last night and on were
brewdog -dead pony club 3.8 £4.25
brewdog -fake lager 4.7 £4.50
magic rock -slapstick 5.0 £4.50
Cromarty -hop your cherry 4.5 £4.50
by my calculations the cheapest craft keg bar in London

The William IV does anything under around 6% for £3.50 on keg. I still rarely bother with it.

london calling
28-04-2014, 21:47
The William IV does anything under around 6% for £3.50 on keg. I still rarely bother with it.
I thought you had given up the keg as it was too expensive.£3.50 is a bargain.Does Brodies brewery own the William iv,Crosse Keys or the Coffee house or is it a separate business from the pubs?

Aqualung
28-04-2014, 23:16
I thought you had given up the keg as it was too expensive.£3.50 is a bargain.Does Brodies brewery own the William iv,Crosse Keys or the Coffee house or is it a separate business from the pubs?

I did say that I rarely bother with it, and it's hardly a bargain when the cask is £2.50 or £2.60!.
The best Brodies keg options in my opinion are all over 6% so are a lot more expensive whereas they used to be all the same price.
The brewery was started by the son and daughter of the owner of the KW4. James did the brewing and Lizzie did the Admin. The brewery has been unable to cope with the demand for their beer for the best part of a year now, even for their own pubs. In the case of the KW4 Hopcraft have been plugging the gap to great effect. The plan is to open a second brewery some time this year to brew the core beers whatever they are but I would guess it's London Fields, Bethnal Green and Old Street and maybe a few others. The KW4 brewery would then brew all the weird and wonderful stuff. The location of the new brewery is uncertain, but the rumour is that there may be a Beatles connection.
As I understand it the original owner has retired and James has taken over while Lizzie is running the Old Coffee House, so it may be that the entire business is more of a single operation than previously. There is a young Scottish bloke who came from Brewdog and someone from Brew Wharf doing the brewing now.
As far as I know they own the KW4 but don't know if the West End pubs are owned or leased. If I had to guess I would say leased.

london calling
29-04-2014, 23:21
I did say that I rarely bother with it, and it's hardly a bargain when the cask is £2.50 or £2.60!.
The best Brodies keg options in my opinion are all over 6% so are a lot more expensive whereas they used to be all the same price.
The brewery was started by the son and daughter of the owner of the KW4. James did the brewing and Lizzie did the Admin. The brewery has been unable to cope with the demand for their beer for the best part of a year now, even for their own pubs. In the case of the KW4 Hopcraft have been plugging the gap to great effect. The plan is to open a second brewery some time this year to brew the core beers whatever they are but I would guess it's London Fields, Bethnal Green and Old Street and maybe a few others. The KW4 brewery would then brew all the weird and wonderful stuff. The location of the new brewery is uncertain, but the rumour is that there may be a Beatles connection.
As I understand it the original owner has retired and James has taken over while Lizzie is running the Old Coffee House, so it may be that the entire business is more of a single operation than previously. There is a young Scottish bloke who came from Brewdog and someone from Brew Wharf doing the brewing now.
As far as I know they own the KW4 but don't know if the West End pubs are owned or leased. If I had to guess I would say leased.
That will be Brewdog Jonny and Angello from brewharf.Brodies is in safe hands.