PDA

View Full Version : CAMRA's Beer Select-O-Pedia.

aleandhearty
20-04-2014, 10:58
I recently received a CAMRA e-bulletin promoting this and wondered if anyone had bought one, or come across a copy? Basically, it's designed to guide you towards the styles you'll like with a bit of food matching thrown in. I'm quite tempted, but worry it may be a bit simplistic and aimed at the novice beer drinker. Thoughts anyone?

http://www.camra.org.uk/selectopedia

Mobyduck
20-04-2014, 18:28
I recently received a CAMRA e-bulletin promoting this and wondered if anyone had bought one, or come across a copy? Basically, it's designed to guide you towards the styles you'll like with a bit of food matching thrown in. I'm quite tempted, but worry it may be a bit simplistic and aimed at the novice beer drinker. Thoughts anyone?

http://www.camra.org.uk/selectopedia
I saw this two or three weeks ago and dismissed it out of hand, my reasoning being a CAMRA member should know what beer style they like, I e-mailed this to a mate, a long standing member from since the 70's and his reply was ,maybe good for new members, which after some thought was a reasonable viewpoint . I think I am sometimes prone to beer arrogance and have been accused of such on the CAMRA forum before, so maybe this is a good thing, (the selectopedia, not my arrogance). I just thought if you joined CAMRA you were already beer aware, I may well be wrong.

london calling
20-04-2014, 20:51
Lot of money for sounds like a very basic book. Problem usually is where can you find the beers you want to try.

aleandhearty
20-04-2014, 22:50
I just thought if you joined CAMRA you were already beer aware, I may well be wrong.

I hear what you're saying Moby and with regard to ale styles and breweries, I can probably hold my own with anyone*. However, I'd be the first to admit that my knowledge of continental beers, for example, is very limited and wondered if it might be worth it from that point of view.

*Perhaps the latter half of this sentence belongs on the Frankie Howerd thread?

Mobyduck
21-04-2014, 05:39
I hear what you're saying Moby and with regard to ale styles and breweries, I can probably hold my own with anyone*. However, I'd be the first to admit that my knowledge of continental beers, for example, is very limited and wondered if it might be worth it from that point of view.

*Perhaps the latter half of this sentence belongs on the Frankie Howerd thread?
Yes ,now you mention it continental beers are a bit sketchy for me.

gillhalfpint
21-04-2014, 07:49
Love Belgian beers, and off to Brussels on Friday to visit the Zythos festival in Leuven. Will manage a bar or two in Brussels too. We have the new Good Beer Guide Belgium, but the Around Brussels in 80 beers reprint 2014 not out yet I don't think, but the old one still pretty good.