PDA

View Full Version : Your plans in upcoming weeks

Pages : [1] 2 3

hopwas
16-03-2010, 18:20
My plans for upcoming weeks..

Tick off 3 pubs at Warton, Warwickshire
Tick off one remaining pub in Sutton Coldfield district (Oak n Ash, Walmley)
Tick off new JDW (Thomas Leper) and Brewery Tap at Derby after Cricket match (Derbyshire Vs Loughborough Uni)
Tick off closest pub I never been to, Gamecock Inn at Birchmoor.

Plus few plans is in works...

Oggwyn Trench
16-03-2010, 19:56
Noyhing to exiting for me , should get to the reopened Fighting Cocks in Oakengates to try the special beer they have brewed for the reopening by the end of the week , and maybe a possible jaunt to Shrewsbury in the next few weeks

Eddie86
16-03-2010, 22:06
The rest of the brewery arrives on Friday, then in hospital on Monday for a minor op (toenail removal x 2) which puts me out of action for 4 days.Then the following Monday is Cask Ale Week...

RogerB
16-03-2010, 22:54
I don't even know what I'm doing the next day let alone over the next few weeks. I have at least 6 football matches and at least 3 gigs before March is out starting with the Stranglers at the Hammy Apollo on Friday. Mrs B gets made redundant next week so there will be a big beer up next Thursday. Unfortunately it is in a German Beerkeller so it will be a German lager night unless I can keep sneaking out to the pub next door. :mad:

hondo
17-03-2010, 08:19
horseracing at Hexham tomorrow :nishelypished:

arwkrite
17-03-2010, 09:25
Is see the Shrink.....which is worrying. Despite everyone having a different opinion
Professor
88888 thinks I am perfectly sane. Now you can see why I am worried. The Bench Mark for sanity must be as low as the bar for a
professional
limbo dancer.
What can I now blame my weird behaviour on ? Here I am working hard to become a first rate Eccentric/Village Idiot and I get negative reports like this. The people at the job centre will not like it, they had a few likely jobs for me and I am not talking
MacDonalds
. Prime jobs like
Birdscarer
or Resident Simpleton at a well known city centre pub chain. Now it will be boring jobs like shelf filler and they are over subscribed by university graduates.
Oh Well..the best laid plans and all that.

Its gone funny again, something to do with the spell checker. Now you can all see what a crap speller I am.

hopwas
17-03-2010, 11:20
For next 7 days starting with 21st March will be very busy and good opportunity for me tick off pubs.

21st March

Watch Tamworth Vs Oxford United followed by few beers in Silk Kite

22nd March

Going to Sutton Coldfield to tick off remaining pub, Oak n Ash then off to Sutton Coldfield Town Vs Bromsgrove Rovers

23rd March

Day out at Birmingham and very good opportunity to check out yet-to-visit pubs then 3 choices... Romulus Vs Chesham OR Chasetown Vs Market Drayton Town OR Halesowen Town Vs Oxford City. Halesowen looking good as they have decent pubs including famous Waggon and Horses (15 real ales on ale) only 5 mins walk from football ground

24th March

REST DAY possibly quick visit to Birchmoor or Warton to tick off pubs

25th March

Going to Birmingham again to watch Premier League Darts at NIA with my Sister's boyfriend with few pub beforehand

26th March

REST DAY. No plans for this day yet.

27th March

Going to Barwell (via Nuneaton) for FA Vase Semi Final match with Whitley Bay. Possibly tick off up to 3 Barwell pubs.

28th March

Few beers at Fox, Hopwas with my Father.

gillhalfpint
17-03-2010, 11:44
I am at a bit of a loose end as I was supposed to go to hosp for an op on shoulder this month, but they won't do it as I am flying to IOM on 15th April. They have taken me off waiting list as I could not give them a 4 month spell when I will be at home. Summer is booked for caravanning in GB and Belgium and beer festivals. Shocking!!

Going to do Birmingham this afternoon and Sheffield on Friday, then Walsall fest probably next Thursday or Friday.

Anyone recommend somewhere for Easter weekend as we have no plans yet. Can take caravan to locality to make a weekend of it.

hopwas
17-03-2010, 11:52
Anyone recommend somewhere for Easter weekend as we have no plans yet. Can take caravan to locality to make a weekend of it.

Bewdley and surrounding area is very good place for pretty decent pubs. No idea about site of caravan site, you have to search for it by Google..

Oggwyn Trench
17-03-2010, 18:29
Bewdley and surrounding area is very good place for pretty decent pubs. No idea about site of caravan site, you have to search for it by Google..

Bewdley is surrounded by caravan parks

Oggwyn Trench
17-03-2010, 18:32
I don't even know what I'm doing the next day let alone over the next few weeks. I have at least 6 football matches and at least 3 gigs before March is out starting with the Stranglers at the Hammy Apollo on Friday. Mrs B gets made redundant next week so there will be a big beer up next Thursday. Unfortunately it is in a German Beerkeller so it will be a German lager night unless I can keep sneaking out to the pub next door. :mad:

Mate from work went to see Stranglers on Saturday in Brum , said they were fantastic though Jet Black now takes up half the stage

Soup Dragon
17-03-2010, 18:36
Going to see New Model army in Leamington tomorrow - then doing there and Warwick until saturday - happy days:cheers:

Andy Ven
17-03-2010, 18:46
Bewdley is surrounded by caravan parks

Bewdley .... Severn Valley steam Railway. There's a crawl to do if you haven't already done it (or do it again if you have)

RogerB
17-03-2010, 18:52
Mate from work went to see Stranglers on Saturday in Brum , said they were fantastic though Jet Black now takes up half the stage

As long as Dave Greenfield still sinks a pint with one hand whilst playing the solo in the middle of No More Heroes with the other, I'll be happy!

gillhalfpint
17-03-2010, 20:25
We know Bewdley and some of it's sites, also Bridgnorth and it's sites. Love Railwaymans Arms there. Been to quite a few SVR beer fests in September.

Trying to get a pub or CAMRA beer fest or a good place for a crawl. Thinking about Peterborough now as we haven't been there for a while.

hopwas
20-03-2010, 17:07
Slight change on my plan for next week starting tomorrow..

23 March

I will go to Boldmere St Michaels Vs Westfields match and possibly visit 3 or 4 pubs beforehand.

gillhalfpint
21-03-2010, 11:54
Bored at home, so taking caravan to Denham, Bucks and will catch a train to Marylebone Tuesday. Looking for some good pubs to visit in London.

New territory for us.

Oggwyn Trench
24-03-2010, 19:01
Just booked a weekend away in Chester , end of April , not been for a few years (well not to visit, go twice a week from work) looks like the pubs have improved from my last visit

ROBCamra
24-03-2010, 19:53
Just booked a weekend away in Chester , end of April , not been for a few years (well not to visit, go twice a week from work) looks like the pubs have improved from my last visit

The Spitting Feathers Brewery Tap is an excellent addition to the Chester pub scene. :cheers:

aleandhearty
24-03-2010, 20:09
Having been told by my GP to slim down from cruiser to frigate class I suspect the coming weeks are going to be fairly quiet on the beer front. However, by some miraculous alignment of the planets both my daughters have sleepovers on Saturday night. Yahoo! A night out. I suspect Mrs a&h and I will not be sat clutching a half all evening.

Oggwyn Trench
24-03-2010, 20:36
The Spitting Feathers Brewery Tap is an excellent addition to the Chester pub scene. :cheers:

I used to deliver there when it was an Italian Resturant , a few pubs seem to have improved , Bear & Billet seems to have a good rep and the newly reopened Commercial Hotel looks worth a visit for the decor alone

Conrad
24-03-2010, 23:08
Having been told by my GP to slim down from cruiser to frigate class I suspect the coming weeks are going to be fairly quiet on the beer front. However, by some miraculous alignment of the planets both my daughters have sleepovers on Saturday night. Yahoo! A night out. I suspect Mrs a&h and I will not be sat clutching a half all evening.
On a brighter note it means avoiding the little boys room. How is everything panning out?

aleandhearty
24-03-2010, 23:19
On a brighter note it means avoiding the little boys room. How is everything panning out?

A lot better now thanks. No probems since I was discharged, but it's taken a few days to get my head round stuff. Going to have to tighten up my diet a bit, but probably no bad thing!

Conrad
24-03-2010, 23:27
Good to hear, I can imagine it takes a little bit of work to get your head round it. Hopefully it will turn out to be fairly easy to manage once you find your groove.

ROBCamra
25-03-2010, 08:11
I used to deliver there when it was an Italian Resturant , a few pubs seem to have improved , Bear & Billet seems to have a good rep and the newly reopened Commercial Hotel looks worth a visit for the decor alone

We were in the Bear & Billet just before Xmas, it's a regular haunt for us when in Chester.

The Hot Beef baguettes were excellent as usual and the beer is good as well.:cheers:

With it only being about 100 yards from the Brewery Tap it's where we often finish off our evenings.

trainman
25-03-2010, 08:44
Just booked a weekend away in Chester, looks like the pubs have improved from my last visit
I've only visited once in a proper drinking (& racing) capacity and then was somewhat at the mercy of a tour leader who tends toward bottles of Bud, or some such dross, but who, because he lived there for a while and claimed to know the best pubs (he didn't), the rest of the party were happy to follow. Many of them are also happy with banal drinks.
Anyway, at some point I decided I could not waste my entire day and peeled off to look for some from my own list of targets. I failed to write reviews but, looking at others', I think a couple of key venues for good ale selection were Mill Hotel & Harkers Arms.

RogerB
25-03-2010, 09:19
My immediate pl;ans are for getting Semi Final tickets!!!!! That "P*ssed up and going to Wemberley" thread may see a bit more action yet. Spurs flag please Conrad!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

gillhalfpint
25-03-2010, 09:38
On 13 Feb we were in Chester and had no new ones in the Square Bottle - JDW, Had 3, 2 of them new in Old Harkers Arms, Had 2 both new in the Mill Hotel, Had 2 both new in the Bear and Billet, and 3 with 2 of them new in the Brewery Tap.

It was a good day.

Conrad
25-03-2010, 12:45
My immediate pl;ans are for getting Semi Final tickets!!!!! That "P*ssed up and going to Wemberley" thread may see a bit more action yet. Spurs flag please Conrad!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:
1 more match to go, and I don't wish to tempt fate!

DannyO'Revey
25-03-2010, 21:13
Now the weather is getting better I am planning to tick off some good beer guide pubs in Rochester and then London (Victoria).

Also will be visiting my Mom & Dad near Whitby & hope to taste a beer or two.

Also plan to pop to a couple of central Birmingham pubs after work.

Oggwyn Trench
05-04-2010, 20:01
Took the lad to Ludlow Castle today and had an enjoyable hour in the Church(the pub that is) i had forgotten how many good looking pubs there were in Ludlow , so looks like a crawl is on the cards hopefully in the next month or so , its only 50 mins on the train from here via Shrewsbury

RogerB
06-04-2010, 13:16
A quiet 7 days coming up. Just 3 gigs, 2 football matches (hopefully including a title clincher for Dartford and a winning Wembley appearance for Spurs), Bexley Beer Festival, 'Spoons Fest and a lesbian wedding reception. Apart from that, not much happening.

oldboots
06-04-2010, 13:53
Three days working in Liverpool for me but importantly with two nights drinking (Tues/Wed). Hopefully a Nidderdale pub crawl on Saturday and pot luck Thursday, Friday and Sunday.

HTM69
07-04-2010, 15:11
A quiet 7 days coming up. Just 3 gigs, 2 football matches (hopefully including a title clincher for Dartford and a winning Wembley appearance for Spurs), Bexley Beer Festival, 'Spoons Fest and a lesbian wedding reception. Apart from that, not much happening.

and a pub quiz!

trainman
07-04-2010, 15:28
Three days working in Liverpool for me but importantly with two nights drinking (Tues/Wed).

There are six possible additions, I will try to find the details and put them on.
Old Skool 90s bar
Cafe Sports England
The Noble House
The Bar, Grill & Restaurant
The Olive Press
62 Castle St

I do hope that your Tues&Wed drinking slots are not going to be wasted in any of the above-mentioned establishments ob? The names alone would make me walk on by...

RogerB
07-04-2010, 15:35
and a pub quiz!

Might be half a pub quiz depending on extra time / penalties / laps of honour / tube closures / train delays etc

oldboots
07-04-2010, 16:24
I do hope that your Tues&Wed drinking slots are not going to be wasted in any of the above-mentioned establishments ob? The names alone would make me walk on by...

I walked on by (after taking their snaps).

I did go in a couple of dumps purely in the interests of research and even missed out the charms of the Ship & Mitre :eek: Tonight will be The Fly, The Belvedere, The Roscoe, maybe the Swan, the Pilgrim, the Cracke, the Dispensary all pure pleasure, the only research will be to update the Grapes and take any photos I can.

RogerB
15-04-2010, 13:57
Currently plotting an end of season shindig. Last 2 games are away to Man City 5/5 (could be a biggy) and Burnley 9/5 + Mrs B' s birthday in the middle. Also, now I have av free day :mad:, looking to throw the Scottish Cup Final (Dundee Utd v Ross Co) 15/5 into the mix as it will be the best chance I'll ever have of getting to a Scottish Cup final (I've done the English and Irish Finals) + I don't really know Glasgow and never been to Hamden. So a few days in Lancs and a week in Scotland coming up, maybe.

gillhalfpint
16-04-2010, 21:45
I am still planning to go to the Isle of Man.

We have been at the airport early for 2 mornings now, so have booked the train to Liverpool and Steam packet to IOM, so should be there for 2pm.

Hotel has moved reservation from Thurs - Thurs to Sat - Sat so we are still having a week away, so should get round the pubs. Will miss out on the CAMRA AGM.

Just have to hope flight refund comes through. Flight shown as cancelled refer to Swissport. Haven't a clue what they plan to do with us. Might be troubleshooters.

Soup Dragon
16-04-2010, 23:07
ooooh the IOM - love it, not been there for a few years now, but had many friends over there - Gill, please raise a glass to the war internees at some stage and i would be a happy soupy! have a great time.

gillhalfpint
25-04-2010, 15:18
Sorry Soupy but I just got back yesterday and just opened your mail as I had no connection in IOM.

Will be putting details on Pub Crawls later today and hope to get loads of photos loaded up before we go to Cornwall via a couple of nights in Devises on Thursday.

arwkrite
25-04-2010, 16:35
Was it a rocket ? Was it a plane ? Was it the Masked Avenger ?

NO ! It was a flying visit by Gillhalfpint and the Caravan. Too Infinity and Beyond.

Only jealous I dont get around so much these days. Keep ticking them off GHP.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

trainman
30-04-2010, 22:42
Tomorrow should find me checking out the beerfest at the Manor Arms, Clapham - a new pub to me too! Followed by some comedy darts at the Sultan, then some nailbiting at S.Wimbledon's Traf as the footy results come thru. If I stop off in Tooting en route (an entirely unvisited area for me, possibly with good reason), then the sequence may change.

Maldenman
01-05-2010, 08:54
If I stop off in Tooting en route (an entirely unvisited area for me, possibly with good reason), then the sequence may change.

Not a recommendation as I haven't been but I've heard that

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55770/

has now been renamed The Antelope and has five or six ales on as a rule.

trainman
01-05-2010, 09:23
Thanks Mm, that was one which I noted as a possible.

Soup Dragon
05-05-2010, 18:46
After Bridgnorth and the SVR last weekend, this Saturday i am off to Oakengates, Shifnal and Brewood - i have noted the Station from Oggy and ROB (so i will nip in the Station, while the others queue at the Crown!). I am them out around the Black Country on the Sunday - happy days!

Andy Ven
05-05-2010, 21:23
Watching the last Walsall game of the season this Saturday followed by a crawl around Walsall's town centre real ale pubs with my old mates :drinkup:

Trans-Pennine rail ale crawl next week :drinkup::drinkup:

Soup Dragon
06-05-2010, 12:56
Watching the last Walsall game of the season this Saturday followed by a crawl around Walsall's town centre real ale pubs with my old mates :drinkup:

Trans-Pennine rail ale crawl next week :drinkup::drinkup:

Make sure you all pop into Flans - best beer in the world, i hear :twigs:

Andy Ven
06-05-2010, 17:52
Make sure you all pop into Flans - best beer in the world, i hear :twigs:

Ah, but the best Carling radar has an epicentre in Wednesfield (I wonder if it stretches as far afield as Walsall?)

My mate's brother is coming with us on Saturday. He's in his 40s and single and he loves it in FOBs. I asked my mate to make sure his brother goes in on Friday so that he doesn't try to draw us into the divorcees disco on Saturday.

Andy Ven
06-05-2010, 17:59
Will be putting details on Pub Crawls later today and hope to get loads of photos loaded up before we go to Cornwall via a couple of nights in Devises on Thursday.

Gill,

have you visited Devizes yet? I meant to mention the Wadworth brewery is there.

6X :drinkup:

Oggwyn Trench
06-05-2010, 18:21
After Bridgnorth and the SVR last weekend, this Saturday i am off to Oakengates, Shifnal and Brewood - i have noted the Station from Oggy and ROB (so i will nip in the Station, while the others queue at the Crown!). I am them out around the Black Country on the Sunday - happy days!

I will be in Oakengates on Friday so i will warn them that your coming , dont forget the Fighting Cocks its 2 doors up from the Station

gillhalfpint
07-05-2010, 09:45
We had a couple of hours in Devizes and did the Hare & Hounds where we had a couple of Wadworth beers, the British Lion where we had Hancocks HB and Butts Traditional, then to Spoons Silk Mercer where we picked up a couple of the foreign festival beers.

Saw the Wadworth brewery buildings, but did not have time to visit. Buses to our site were hourly and we wanted to get to the pubs in the time we had in town. Only regret was forgetting to take my camera for pub photos. We go back to the same site on our way back from Cornwall at the end of this month, but hoping to get the bus the other way into Bath.

Farway
07-05-2010, 14:56
Off to Cornwall mid May for 3 days, mainly for Eden Project, but will obviously try out all pubs I can in St Austell & Lostwithiel , maybe get along to St Austell brewery, but that is weather dependent, plus photograph any pubs I come across on journey across to Cornwall

RogerB
14-05-2010, 11:24
Off to the wilds of Aberdeenshire for a couple of weeks in June staying in Portknockie near Elgin the first week and Banchory near Aberdeen the second. As the World Cup will be on I can see myself paying the occasional visit to a pub but there is very little info regarding the pubs in this area. Even John McGraw's camera hasn't ventured into these parts so it really is a pub adventure of Livingstone and Shackleton proportions and I will be busy snapping and scribbling notes. I have pieced together some if the better pubs from the local CAMRA site and there are 4 'Spoons (Inverness, Elgin, Peterhead and Aberdeen) to fall back on if necessary but if anyone can endorse any pubs, I am open to suggestions.

trainman
14-05-2010, 11:55
Scotland during a World Cup? Again? Your timing is becoming downright careless Roger.
If you do manage to find a tv, I'm sure you'll be a lone voice amongst anti-English vitriol, so watch yer back!

RogerB
14-05-2010, 12:38
Scotland during a World Cup? Again? Your timing is becoming downright careless Roger.
If you do manage to find a tv, I'm sure you'll be a lone voice amongst anti-English vitriol, so watch yer back!

The last time we did it there were plenty of Sassenach's that came out of the woodwork so I don't think I'll be short of company and since all the games will be on terrestrial TV, shouldn't be too much of a problem finding pubs with the games on. Whether they will have any beers is a different matter. Any pubs showing any anti-England sentiments that border on anything more than friendly banter will be noted, named and shamed in the subsequent review/blog!

gillhalfpint
15-05-2010, 23:19
Meant to go to St Austell today as we fancied going to the Harbourside Inn at Charlestown. It is a Good Beer Guide pub, and says there is up to 7 ales available.

After finding we would be spending about 4 hours on buses to get around 1 1/2 hours in the pub, decided it was too hot a day to do it today, but will make the effort next week.

Going to look along the coast from Hayle next week too. Haven't had any ales from Paradise Brewery since it opened up at the Bird in Hand pub yet. Had some of the brews under the old name a few years ago, one being Golden Balls from Posh & David Beckham's early days.

Crossste
16-05-2010, 13:38
A few of us are planning on doing Scarborough over the bank holiday. At one time we were regular visitors, a couple of times a year for long weekends, but we haven’t been up for about 5 years now.

The pubs we use to enjoy for the beer were the Angel, Cricketers, Alma, Hole in Wall, Indigo Alley, JDWs and the Cellar Bar (I think that’s what it was called).

Just wondered if any forum members are local to the area or have been there lately and could advise if the aforementioned pubs are still O.K. or should be avoided and are the anymore real ale pubs we should add to the list.

ROBCamra
16-05-2010, 15:53
A few of us are planning on doing Scarborough over the bank holiday. At one time we were regular visitors, a couple of times a year for long weekends, but we haven’t been up for about 5 years now.

The pubs we use to enjoy for the beer were the Angel, Cricketers, Alma, Hole in Wall, Indigo Alley, JDWs and the Cellar Bar (I think that’s what it was called).

Just wondered if any forum members are local to the area or have been there lately and could advise if the aforementioned pubs are still O.K. or should be avoided and are the anymore real ale pubs we should add to the list.

Indigo Alley & Cricketers are closed. However the guys who were at the Cricketers (Stuart & Karen) are now at the North Riding Hotel just further down the cliff. Highly recommended.

Alma & Hole In The Wall have gone seriously downhill.

Cellars is still good and a relative newcomer is the Valley bar just up from Cellars.

The JDW is one of the worst in the whole chain now.

Another new kid on the block in the last 5 years is Scholars also highly recommended.

The Angel is still fine as well.

A bit of a mixed bag I'm afraid. :(

Crossste
16-05-2010, 20:24
Cheers Rob,

Looks like Scarborough, beer wise, is going down the pan a bit.

We stayed at the North Riding a few years ago. A big Camerons house on the corner IIRC. I,ll give ,em a ring and see if they still do B&B.

Thanks for the heads up on the newer ones.

ROBCamra
17-05-2010, 09:26
Cheers Rob,

Looks like Scarborough, beer wise, is going down the pan a bit.

We stayed at the North Riding a few years ago. A big Camerons house on the corner IIRC. I,ll give ,em a ring and see if they still do B&B.

Thanks for the heads up on the newer ones.

The North Riding is now a freehouse with links to Yorkshire Dales brewery.

Stuart & Karen source their regular beer festivals by getting in the van and travelling hundreds of miles to pick up all the various beers, so you could get lucky wth your stay. They still do B & B, but we haven't stayed there yet. It's been refurbished quite a bit since they took over as well.

Another newcomer to the real ale scene is the United Sports Bar. It doesn't sound like the kind of place you'd go for good beer, but it's made the GBG 2010.:cheers:

Andy Ven
24-08-2010, 21:41
I thought I'd revive this thread. Wetting my whistle in Bloxwich, on the Severn Valley Railway and around Belper this month has whetted my appetite for some more crawls.

I've been reading about the Churnet Valley Railway http://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/main/guidetoline.php . The Black Lion seems like a fab pub. My mate did one of the walks from the CAMRA Book of Peak District Pub Walks (even though it's in Staffordshire). This pub was the first one on Walk Number 24 - he wished it had been the last because he wanted to stay all day. I'd like to visit this pub along with some others along the CVR line.

I'm looking forward to a visit to Youlgreave and Lathkil near to Bakewell in Derbyshire - 4 pubs in all.

Cornwall is on the horizon. Some near to where I'll be staying but the group who recently visited their 15,000th pub on an epic crawl said that The Highwayman in Sourton, Devon was their favourite so I may have to do that one too.

Looking a bit further ahead I've got a Black Country crawl arranged by minibus, from Stourbridge to Wolverhampton via Worsdley, Himley, Lower Gornal and Sedgley.

I'm making the most of it.

oldboots
25-08-2010, 09:06
Well apart from a beer festival this bank holiday weekend, followed by a week of just work with NO BEER allowed, then a half week in Hampshire (boozing I hope), I haven't a clue. I rather fancy an overnighter in Shrewsbury having had my appetite whetted by the good General et al. Another day in Manchester or Liverpool sounds good as well, and there's still lots of pubs in York or even Scarborough I haven't visited.

RogerB
25-08-2010, 09:17
I have a Portsmouth / Isle Of Wight weekend coming up in September but that's about it apart from any Dartford away games that naturally involve checking out the local watering holes. Mrs B now has a new job that involves working away from home a lot and since she can reclaim hotel and driving expenses, I may take advantage of a few effectively freebie midweek trips if she is posted anywhere interesting enough and I have enough flexitime to fall back on.

gillhalfpint
25-08-2010, 10:00
Going to see what's on offer in Carlisle today, then we are centered at Corbridge Friday to Monday when we leave to go to York. Love the pubs and the city so will have a good 4 nights there. We then go to Driffield so we can have a trip round the Swift Caravan Factory in Hull probably Saturday 4th. Don't know of the pubs around there but will find some watering holes.

Sept 9th we will be at Tamworth beer festival before going to Minehead for 3 nights so we can get to Minehead beer festival, another favourite. We move back northwards for 2 nights at Teversal Notts then on to Ferryhill so we can go to Darlington Rhythm and Brews fest 17th. We will also find a train from Darlington I am sure so we can get to York festival on 16th. Need to work that one out yet. Then we hit a BLANK week in the diary. Must try harder. May even get round some local pubs to renew membership!

trainman
25-08-2010, 16:53
Booked for 8.5hrs whiz round Derby's premier hostelries 08Sep.
Way things are looking, that may well be the next pint(s) I get! & the wine rack will be looking very bare by then...

trainman
05-09-2010, 12:17
Booked for 8.5hrs whiz round Derby's premier hostelries
Sorry folks, I recall someone was kind enough to advise that one of the big two nr station didn't open 'til noon, but can't recall which. Also, does that mean t'other opens at 11am? Will just help for advanced planning for the meet, just in case I'm appearing a little over-fussy on detail. Ta.

Soup Dragon
05-09-2010, 12:29
Sorry folks, I recall someone was kind enough to advise that one of the big two nr station didn't open 'til noon, but can't recall which. Also, does that mean t'other opens at 11am? Will just help for advanced planning for the meet, just in case I'm appearing a little over-fussy on detail. Ta.

I think, when OB and I went, the Alexandra Hotel didn't open until later - 3ish or something, i think we went on a Tue, but cant remember now

ROBCamra
05-09-2010, 13:03

Alex opens at 3. Brunswick is 11 - 11. Station 11:30 - 2:30 then 5 - 11.

Alex has been dropped from 2011 GBG and the Station has re-entered.

RogerB
05-09-2010, 14:01
And of course the 3 (might now be 4) 'Spoons will be dishing them out at 9am if you get there early enough!

trainman
06-09-2010, 00:24
And of course the 3 (might now be 4) 'Spoons will be dishing them out at 9am if you get there early enough!

Nope. Even the Babbington is only tentatively on-map as time is tight, and that would make 11 (pts), even before jokers. Mere bagatelle for you Roger, but not so for many of us, especially those badly lacking match practice, like me!
I really want to make the Falstaff, especially reading RB's review but, as warned, it's way off route from the main direction of the crawl and still a jaunt back to station after.
Thanks for opening time tips y'all, that should accommodate a staggered arrival for the meet. The staggering departure matters less.

trainman
09-09-2010, 08:53
Alex opens at 3. Brunswick is 11 - 11. Station 11:30 - 2:30 then 5 - 11.

Quite clear, so why did I have it in my head that Brunswick was noon opening?
We opted for the Station as the first meet, but it wasn't open at 11:45, and still wasn't when we walked back past at 12:20. Due to timing issues (train) and vertical difficulties at the end of the crawl, we didn't manage to return to tick the Bass from a jug. The other 10 were covered tho, including a taxi dash to Falstaff. I didn't have time to compile proper reviews, but I noted the beers at some. Splendid collection of pubs and, yes, I fell in love with the Brunswick.
Two pubs on from the Brewery Tap I realised I'd been short-changed (from a £50), returned, till count, and... miracles happen - just as I was about to despair, they gave me £40 back! Actually, I think I must have gained a tenner on the deal.

RogerB
09-09-2010, 09:12
I realised I'd been short-changed (from a £50).

I haven't seen a £50 since I was a cashier in Kensington in the early 90's! Glad you got to the Falstaff even though it was a bit off route. Another Brunny fan then - I have yet to find anyone who hasn't taken to the place. I'm surprised it is hardly ever mentioned in the the various "best pub in the world" lists that the press like to throw in our direction in their weekend supplements. Where else did you get to - I'll assume the Alex, Exeter Arms, Dolphin and the Flowerpot were 4.

Quinno
09-09-2010, 09:24
Another Brunny fan then - I have yet to find anyone who hasn't taken to the place. I'm surprised it is hardly ever mentioned in the the various "best pub in the world" lists that the press like to throw in our direction in their weekend supplements.

How many journos come from Derby? :whistle:

Looks like Jim and I must have missed each other by a week! Derby is a great town for pubs (although the beer quality at the Alex was dubious, 3 of our 4 weren't good).

The Exeter was a lovely little pub - easy to overlook because it only does Marstons.

trainman
09-09-2010, 09:30
No, I can barely remember what a tenner looks like these days, never mind a bullseye - that was an exception.

Revamped running order was Babington, Brunswick, Smithfield, Exeter, Brewery Tap, Old Silk Mill, Olde Dolphin, Flowerpot, Falstaff, Alexandra. Well worth the bargain £6 rtn from london (could've been £2 if I went alone). If I had to drop one next time it would be the Exeter - the Burton Bitter went & they ended up with just Pedi & a dark Mild.

Rather a good Babington selection to get the day started...

trainman
09-09-2010, 09:35
The Exeter was a lovely little pub - easy to overlook because it only does Marstons.

Oops, our comments crossed there! I'd have preferred the pub to have offered something from the enlarged stable - most Marstons houses seem to stock, say, a Jennings these days.

RogerB
09-09-2010, 09:43
The Silk Mill was the only one I haven't managed to get to. It had funny opening hours and was always shut whenever I walked past. I understand it was almost closed for good not too long ago. Unbelieveable that you did the Brunny as No 2. There probably wouldn't have been a No 3 if it were me.

It must be said that there are some shockers in Derby as well and not just among the obvious chain bars - Jorrocks and the Old Bell being 2 that we were lured into either by external beauty or historical value only to regret it.

I really do need to have another long weekend in Derby (as well as a proper lengthy jaunt around Sheffield and Nottingham).

trainman
09-09-2010, 10:04
Unbelieveable that you did the Brunny as No 2. There probably wouldn't have been a No 3 if it were me.

The four of us were arriving at 3 different times, so was convenient near station; also, being probably the star of the day I wanted to see it before the vision became too dulled. If (when) I re-tour, I might consider wandering to the Falstaff first to avoid timing issues later on.

...as well as a proper lengthy jaunt around Sheffield and Nottingham.

I've only done Sheff in segments, on my own, but a proper two-dayer with the team is high on the list. I still have 3 or 4 to tick myself, including the Tap. If anyone is travelling to Sheff, Derby, Nott, Leicester, especially midweek, I strongly recommend checking megatrain.com in advance - London-Sheff rtn, for instance, is currently available 20-21Oct for £5 ew.

Booked for Nottingham beerfest 15Oct, smash & grab in the afternoon then off to the pubs before the castle gets too busy. More pubs on 16th, then travel back Sat eve. Megatrain up £7, regular train back £17 (first class!).

Quinno
09-09-2010, 10:37
Oops, our comments crossed there! I'd have preferred the pub to have offered something from the enlarged stable - most Marstons houses seem to stock, say, a Jennings these days.

Fair do's - the Exeter wasn't the best pub of the day as regards beer choice, but it was better than the Alex in terms of quality!

trainman
09-09-2010, 10:48
...it was better than the Alex in terms of quality!

Must admit my memory of the Alex is, well, non-existant! Last pub of the day & all that (apart from my sneaky half back at Doric Arch) - one of two that I failed to record even illegible scribblings of beer range.

Millay
12-09-2010, 08:45
Next weekend I’ve got a few days in Llandudno, not really a drinking trip so there won‘t be a blog, although I might drop in for a post now and again. It‘s just a bit of solo R&R, I do find the coast quite relaxing and like the nostalgic feel of a seaside town with a pier. I’ll probably visit a few nearby places, Conwy looks a good place to explore and has a few pubs. Didn’t get a great deal of inspiration from Trainman’s request about Prestatyn and Rhyl so will probably avoid those.

Then in October it’s off to Liverpool for a boozy trip with some mates, including Grailhunter. So you can look forward to the Scouse Blog for that one.

arwkrite
12-09-2010, 12:09
Llandudno is a pleasant enough place and Conway is an historic walled town well worth a visit. Prestatyyn and Rhyl are low end resorts surrounded by caravan parks. Lets just say I have never been impressed by them.

Maldenman
12-09-2010, 12:40
Bangor has some decent pubs I recall from admittedly some years back. If you have transport a trip over the bridge to Anglesey is worthwhile.

gillhalfpint
12-09-2010, 21:28
Having had a superb day at Tamworth Thursday and 2 brilliant days at Minehead yesterday and today we are heading northwards tomorrow. Probably a quiet couple of nights in Teversal Notts, then up to Ferryhill, Co Durham so we can go to York Thursday - tickets already paid for with Singles from Darlington being only £3+. Fantastic list out for that one. Then Darlington Friday and Saturday with another good list. Hope to find the Surtees Arms, Ferryhill that has got Pub of the Year while there too.

trainman
16-09-2010, 16:57
Not an upcoming plan (yet) but this is under the pub crawl banner, so what the heck...

Last time I was up at the Wenlock (looking increasingly to be in jeopardy if anyone wants to tick it now, just in case), I was surprised to see one of Boris' bike racks nearby. With the Wenlock being a few mins stroll off the beaten path, my old pal Tigerdrinker typically, and enthusiastically, suggested a future crawl using the new London bike scheme as the means of transport.

It kind of sounds like a laugh, but also highly dangerous later in the day. Who, here, would enter into such madness?

ie consider such a plan - replying will not commit you to the event if it happens, tho it'd be churlish not to post the route in advance, if it does.

Conrad
16-09-2010, 17:12
A close friend and the designer who originally designed the PuG site is a cycling nut, he has also at times had hollow legs, I do wonder how he is still alive sometimes.

Anyway I am sure I must have mentioned it, but many years ago during my A-levels I attended a forensic science lecture, the lecturer was a practising forensic scientist, one of those people who knew their job and told a good story. Sadly I suspect that they are a different breed these days, but I digress. One of his stories related to drink cycling, it was to do with the fact that he was pointing out how boring his job actually was as 99% of it was testing blood samples for alcohol. He was keen to point out he had no respect for drink drivers, stupid fools get drunk sit down and think they can drive.

He then went on to regale us with the story of a cyclist who was pulled with the equivalent of 12 pints (this number probably goes up every time I tell it) in his blood and still had the bike upright, that apparently impressed him :).

It was an excellent lecture actually, I hope he is still enjoying his work.

trainman
16-09-2010, 18:02
Hehehe, reminds me of a visit to Bramcote's 'Top House' (White Lion) the last pub of a long Nottingham crawl, where we met another chap doing a crawl - on a unicycle! He reckoned he that was his 8th pub, but I shamefully failed to ascertain whether that was on pints or not. There's a photo loaded of him with the bike, the others in shot were part of our tour, but I don't feature. Phew! Friends say he was witnessed unicycling off up the road a little later.

Gann
16-09-2010, 18:17
Not really a booze plan, but I will definately be incorporating a few stops in pubs if we partake again this weekend.

But just a quick reminder to all the London based PuG members that it is Open House weekend on Saturday and Sunday when you can get through the doors of institutions usually closed to the great unwashed...

trainman
16-09-2010, 18:52
But just a quick reminder to all the London based PuG members that it is Open House weekend on Saturday and Sunday when you can get through the doors of institutions usually closed to the great unwashed...

Thanks for that Gann, I've never heard of it - maybe the keepers of the buildings don't want any actual visitors! It would be of some interest to me, and great interest (I think) to a good friend. May be a little late to get organised unless I pay for the online guide - can't see any list of 'open' venues anywhere, tho one site suggested guides can be picked up free at libraries?

RogerB
16-09-2010, 20:43

I saw in the Standard that Brixton Academy is open on Sunday to all and sundry to trape through the backstage areas and collect disused chewing gum from discreet furniture joints for future sale on e-bay but didn't realise it was a wider thing.

rpadam
16-09-2010, 21:01
It is the same sort of thing as the Heritage Open Days held across the rest of England last weekend, but quite why 'Lahndin' has to be different, I don't know...

Gann
17-09-2010, 10:03
It is the same sort of thing as the Heritage Open Days held across the rest of England last weekend, but quite why 'Lahndin' has to be different, I don't know...

Hi rpadam,

2 years ago they decided to move the Open House Weekend one week later so that it didn't clash with the Lord Mayors Thames festival which was last weekend.

And for trainman and the rest , yes you can pick up the paper brochure in most London Libraries.

But to search on the web, the best way is to go to
http://www.londonopenhouse.org/public/london/find/

and then type in 'City of London' as an area for example and 'show 50' and that will bring up an active map with description of all the open houses in that area.
A few are ticket only where you need to apply in advance ( The Gerkin and PO tower for example), but the rest are non-ticket , but expect to queue for the big ones like Lloyds, Band of England, The Express Building and the bigger Livery company halls.

I've been doing it for a few years now and have got round most of the Livery company halls and these are well worth a visit.

hopwas
27-09-2010, 16:36
My plans for upcoming weeks..

Tick off 3 pubs at Warton, Warwickshire
Tick off one remaining pub in Sutton Coldfield district (Oak n Ash, Walmley)
Tick off new JDW (Thomas Leper) and Brewery Tap at Derby after Cricket match (Derbyshire Vs Loughborough Uni)
Tick off closest pub I never been to, Gamecock Inn at Birchmoor.

Plus few plans is in works...

I have forgotten about this thread so

So far I have ticked off Thomas Leper which bought me 103th JDW and Brewery Tap in August

Done Oak n Ash to complete collection of Sutton Coldfield.

I never got around to Gamecock Inn or 3 pubs in Warton :(

Andy Ven
22-03-2011, 20:47
Did we all hibernate for the winter?

Now that the weather is warming up and the days are getting longer I have been stretching my planning brain, including holiday plans.

So to kick off, in the near future I will be:

sampling the JDW beer festival in Birmingham;
visiting the Walsall CAMRA beer festival on 15th April at its new home of Walsall college http://walsallcamra.co.uk/Beerfestivals.aspx;
re-visiting my best of Walsall Central pub crawl http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/crawl/viewcrawl.php?crawl=741 after the last Walsall home game of the season;
doing the Severn Valley Railway crawl again http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/crawl/viewcrawl.php?crawl=482 (I can't stay away!)
doing the Sheffield Valley of Beer;
and looking forward to exploring new ground in Dorset and north Norfolk :cheers:

gillhalfpint
22-03-2011, 22:22
We are spending a bit of time in Belgium next week sampling a few foreign beers, and then have a few days in a Sheffield Travelodge for the AGM and crawl round the valley of beer.

Easter will be at the Egham USC beer festival that I have heard lots of good reports of, but never been, then move on to Oxford as we can catch a train from there to Reading beer festival as it is a few years since we managed that one. From Oxford we move on to Banbury for the excellent beer festival there.

RogerB
23-03-2011, 11:07
I'm being dragged down to Bournemouth on Friday for a weekender to watch Bournemouth v Charlton and then head off to the Isle of Wight Saturday night for a couple of days. I am sure there may be a few pubs involved.

Bucking Fastard
23-03-2011, 11:28
Hibernation now definitely over,and the boat is making slow progress up to the Midlands.The main aim is to get to Lichfield by the end of April and avoid the Royal Wedding by doing some serious navigating over that extended weekend.Besides Lichfield ,night time stops will include Burton,Derby and Ilkeston on an interesting voyage up the Trent and Mersey and the Erewash Valley.Should be a fine ale cruise as well.:drinkup:

May and June will be spent drifting around South Staffs with a trip to a dry dock to get the bottom blacked (technical boating term!) possibly in Tipton,so a trip on the rarely used Walsall Canal to the Town Wharf is likely at some stage to sample the delights and hopefully meet up with some of the local reviewers.

Early July is the annual weekly holiday starting in Brum,then Kinver,Worcester,Gloucester,Tewksbury,Droitwich,se cond night in Brum,Knowle and finishing in Lapworth.The rest of the year will be a gradual move towards London,maybe via Oxford and The Thames Valley.

It would be good to meet local PuGers on the route,so I will keep in touch with progress on the forum.

Paris_Hilton
23-03-2011, 12:39
A week in North Cornwall for me followed by a visit to http://siba.co.uk/?m=20110414&cat=4

Al 10000
23-03-2011, 16:43
Hibernation now definitely over,and the boat is making slow progress up to the Midlands.The main aim is to get to Lichfield by the end of April and avoid the Royal Wedding by doing some serious navigating over that extended weekend.Besides Lichfield ,night time stops will include Burton,Derby and Ilkeston on an interesting voyage up the Trent and Mersey and the Erewash Valley.Should be a fine ale cruise as well.:drinkup:

Hi BF,

When going up the Erewash canal Sawley is worth a visit 5 pubs and 4 of them have real ale on,Sandiacre has got 5 pubs 4 open at moment and they all have real ale on,Once in Ilkeston the Gallows inn next to a lock now has real ale on and in the town centre i would advise visiting the Poacher and Spanish bar these are almost opposite each other and have a very good choice of real ales on.

:cheers: Alan

Andy Ven
23-03-2011, 16:57
a trip on the rarely used Walsall Canal to the Town Wharf is likely at some stage to sample the delights and hopefully meet up with some of the local reviewers.

Early July is the annual weekly holiday starting in Brum,...,second night in Brum,Knowle and finishing in Lapworth.It would be good to meet local PuGers on the route,so I will keep in touch with progress on the forum.

Keep us posted !

Maldenman
23-03-2011, 17:02
Doesn't sound like we'll cross paths then BF, I've started my Grand Union walk but so far I'm only at Uxbridge having done the Paddington Arm and back to Brentford. Have a few days off so should be at Rickmansworth by the end of the week and possibly Kings Langley over the weekend. I should really head to Slough too but it doesn't look too inspiring. I know I will though.

A few ok pubs so far and a few not so great.

ROBCamra
23-03-2011, 17:17
I should really head to Slough too but it doesn't look too inspiring. I know I will though.

It isn't, I had to work there for 18 months.:eek:

However the Rose & Crown should make it worthwhile assuming it hasn't changed.

It's still in the GBG2011 so here's hoping.

It's the only proper pub in central Slough.

If you do go and there's a black & white sheepdog lying across the doorway guarding it, say hello to Rex for me. :p

Bucking Fastard
23-03-2011, 17:25
Hi BF,

When going up the Erewash canal Sawley is worth a visit 5 pubs and 4 of them have real ale on,Sandiacre has got 5 pubs 4 open at moment and they all have real ale on,Once in Ilkeston the Gallows inn next to a lock now has real ale on and in the town centre i would advise visiting the Poacher and Spanish bar these are almost opposite each other and have a very good choice of real ales on.

:cheers: Alan

Thanks Al ,that's really helpful.We will probably moor up in Sandiacre,have a quick beer then get a cab to Derby which I hear has some outstanding boozers.The info on Ilkeston helps a great deal as well,I expect to visit all three pubs you mention.Do you rate the Dewdrop,the moorings near there are a bit quieter .?

Maldenman
23-03-2011, 17:32
It isn't, I had to work there for 18 months.:eek:

However the Rose & Crown should make it worthwhile assuming it hasn't changed.

It's still in the GBG2011 so here's hoping.

It's the only proper pub in central Slough.

If you do go and there's a black & white sheepdog lying across the doorway guarding it, say hello to Rex for me. :p

I know but if I'm walking a route I feel I need to do all of it, for completeness sake. Looks like an ok pub or two around Iver to make it worthwhile.

Bucking Fastard
23-03-2011, 17:32
Doesn't sound like we'll cross paths then BF, I've started my Grand Union walk but so far I'm only at Uxbridge having done the Paddington Arm and back to Brentford. Have a few days off so should be at Rickmansworth by the end of the week and possibly Kings Langley over the weekend. I should really head to Slough too but it doesn't look too inspiring. I know I will though.

A few ok pubs so far and a few not so great.

The old tub is moored in Rickmansworth and I hope to shift it on further on Monday .May get to Leighton Buzzard by Wednesday next week but not boating this weekend sadly.I didn't get to Slough either,maybe later in the year .

Bucking Fastard
23-03-2011, 17:36
Keep us posted !

Certainly will do so,I will also need to tap you locals for pub info nearer the time.

Maldenman
23-03-2011, 17:36
The old tub is moored in Rickmansworth and I hope to shift it on further on Monday .May get to Leighton Buzzard by Wednesday next week but not boating this weekend sadly.I didn't get to Slough either,maybe later in the year .

I'll keep my eyes open for it then, either tomorrow or Friday depending on weather/domestic demands. If you hear someone shout Mr Fastard I presume then It'll be me!

Al 10000
23-03-2011, 17:38
Hi BF,

The Dewdrop is a large victorian pub and there is a decent choice of beers on the bar but there are no other pubs near it and the moorings should be quiet there.

In Sandiacre the Red Lion has got Olde Trip on at the moment the Plough is also next to the canal and there is Bass and two others nothing special though

The Blue bell is just up the road from the Plough and there are three real ales on here on last visit Bombadier, Bass

The Bridge Inn is near the old Derby canal and you can walk along this from the locks in Sandiacre.

There are quite a few moorings in Sandiacre these are in the middle of town and there are at the moment three narrow boats moored there with people living on them these hav'nt moved for quite a while.

I know this area very well if you need any more imformation i will galadly help you out.

Cheers Alan

Oggwyn Trench
23-03-2011, 18:49
Should be doing Ludlow in a few weeks time , beautifull town with lots of nice looking pubs but very few reviews . Then later in the year looking to do Wem , Whitchurch and Ellesmere up in north Shropshire and Church Stretton and the South Shropshire hills if i can work out the patchy local bus service .
Really should get to the pubs around Dawley and surrounding areas in South Telford but i just cant motivate myself as most of them are dumps:)

Thuck Phat
04-04-2011, 10:25
A fleeting visit to York coming up but to celebrate a notable wedding anniversary so ale opportunities may be limited. I'm hopeful of at least a visit to The Maltings and anything else will be a bonus to be bestowed by a, hopefully, benign and cheerful Mrs Phat.

Andy Ven
05-04-2011, 21:35
A fleeting visit to York coming up but to celebrate a notable wedding anniversary so ale opportunities may be limited. I'm hopeful of at least a visit to The Maltings and anything else will be a bonus to be bestowed by a, hopefully, benign and cheerful Mrs Phat.

If you go to York, a browse around Tadcaster would be nice .....

RogerB
05-04-2011, 22:12
Well I don't think I'll be going to Barcelona for the semi!

Quinno
07-04-2011, 11:30
Well I don't think I'll be going to Barcelona for the semi!

Ah well, how about Maidenhead for Dartford's last game of the season? :D

RogerB
07-04-2011, 11:37
Ah well, how about Maidenhead for Dartford's last game of the season? :D

That's more my level.

trainman
07-04-2011, 11:55
Ah well, how about Maidenhead ..?
Can Maidenhead provide a decent crawl? I seem to recall it being tricky to make worthwhile suggestions when I was considering a trip, quite a way back.

Re 'forthcoming plans', I got a bit excited with the megabus/train cheapies to south coast & don't think I'll be holding beer vouchers to cover 02May (Southampton) AND 07May (Portsmouth) so, if anyone might like to use a couple of freebies Waterloo-Southampton on the bank holiday Monday, watch this space. If I don't use the booking (& it currently seems unlikely I will), then I can email the booking (no tkt, just show 'em the reference). Arr 13:15, dep 19:55, so 6.5hrs to scoot round some pubs, and there are some good ones, despite its rep.

RogerB
07-04-2011, 12:11
Can Maidenhead provide a decent crawl? I seem to recall it being tricky to make worthwhile suggestions when I was considering a trip, quite a way back.

Never been there but the ground (now the oldest continuously used football ground in the world) is right in the town centre and there are half a dozen reasonable looking pubs closeby with a couple a bit further out. I don't think there are any "essentials" but there does seem to be a decent mix of beers between them. Admittedly there are 2 'Spoons but they appear to be traditional pubs rather than converted car showrooms so should at least have a bit more character than normal and 1 will be used for a breakfast starter! As Quinno says, it is the Darts last league game of the season so there will be a few travelling and the fans do like an end of season party!

gillhalfpint
10-04-2011, 11:53
We are taking the caravan to Old Windsor for 6 nights at Easter so that we can do the much acclaimed Egham United Services fest.

Hope to get to pubs in the area while there as it is a new slate for us.

From there we go to Oxford for 7 nights so that we can get a train to Reading for the fest and have a mosey round Oxford pubs and any worth getting to in the area.

Next we head over to Banbury for 5 nights to do the fest there and any pubs worth visiting.

Should be a good 3 weeks.

Oggwyn Trench
10-04-2011, 12:43
We are taking the caravan to Old Windsor for 6 nights at Easter so that we can do the much acclaimed Egham United Services fest.

Hope to get to pubs in the area while there as it is a new slate for us.

From there we go to Oxford for 7 nights so that we can get a train to Reading for the fest and have a mosey round Oxford pubs and any worth getting to in the area.

Next we head over to Banbury for 5 nights to do the fest there and any pubs worth visiting.

Should be a good 3 weeks.

Some very good pubs in Oxford though they can be a bit tourist overkill at weekends especially the better known ones like the Lamb and Flag , Eagle and Child , Kings Arms , Turf and the White Horse , the Turf is a sod to find but allways busy . One of the good lesser known pubs is the Grapes by the Theartre a good city centre boozer

gillhalfpint
10-04-2011, 12:56
The Grapes in Oxford is a new one for me. Go to the others you mentioned, although I had an issue at the Turf a few years back when they had glasses under taps with beer in. It was being used to top up glasses when someone asked for that beer.
I was told beer doesn't stand for more than about 10 mintes when I queried it after standing to the side so I could watch what they were doing, but it was a dodgy practice and I always check where my beer is coming from now when I go there.
Another we go to is Far from the Maddening Crowd, and St Aldgates that used to be a Hobgoblin pub is worth a visit too.

Oggwyn Trench
10-04-2011, 15:03
The Grapes in Oxford is a new one for me. Go to the others you mentioned, although I had an issue at the Turf a few years back when they had glasses under taps with beer in. It was being used to top up glasses when someone asked for that beer.
I was told beer doesn't stand for more than about 10 mintes when I queried it after standing to the side so I could watch what they were doing, but it was a dodgy practice and I always check where my beer is coming from now when I go there.
Another we go to is Far from the Maddening Crowd, and St Aldgates that used to be a Hobgoblin pub is worth a visit too.

The Grapes is unusual for an Oxford pub as its not overrun with tourists or students , its a proper local with usually 4 ales on and plenty of characters , used to enjoy the odd pint in the Mitre on the high street , more for the pub itself than the beer

Soup Dragon
16-04-2011, 11:50
Greetings all,

Things have been very busy at work, as the cuts have began to bite, so i haven't been on much over the past few weeks. I am off for a well earned rest and will be on the Isle of Arran, purely in the interests of PG of course, to fill in the gaps in photos and reviews. Sadly, many are hotels, so i will come back and get them all removed:p

I do hope it is a :twigs:free zone

ROBCamra
16-04-2011, 11:54
Greetings all,

Things have been very busy at work, as the cuts have began to bite, so i haven't been on much over the past few weeks. I am off for a well earned rest and will be on the Isle of Arran, purely in the interests of PG of course, to fill in the gaps in photos and reviews. Sadly, many are hotels, so i will come back and get them all removed:p

I do hope it is a :twigs:free zone

It's more driftwood than :twigs: on Arran. It's a beautiful place though when it's fine (about 3 days per year).

We once stayed in a cottage there for a couple of days. We had to walk along the beach to get to the pub as there wasn't a road!!!

Soup Dragon
16-04-2011, 12:07
We had to walk along the beach to get to the pub as there wasn't a road!!!

I admire the dedication!

You are now going to tell me that not only are there just 3 good days of weather, but they only sell lager

ROBCamra
16-04-2011, 13:14
I admire the dedication!

You are now going to tell me that not only are there just 3 good days of weather, but they only sell lager

It was all keg, but it was about 30 years ago.

The Island now has it's own brewery in Brodick.

The Ormidale hotel in Brodick acts as the brewery tap.

No review or photo on PG though.

Soup Dragon
16-04-2011, 14:26
It was all keg, but it was about 30 years ago.

The Island now has it's own brewery in Brodick.

The Ormidale hotel in Brodick acts as the brewery tap.

No review or photo on PG though.

Soon will be, Squire!

Thuck Phat
18-04-2011, 16:45
If you go to York, a browse around Tadcaster would be nice .....

Sadly didn't get the chance but I did manage to sneak into The Guy Fawkes and The Snickelways as well as The Maltings. A real bonus and I'd recommend them both.

trainman
19-04-2011, 08:13
It's still likely that I'll have 2 spare freebies to Southampton if anyone is kicking their heels 02May.
Dep W'loo 11:39 arr 13:15. Dep S'ton 19:55 arr 21:38.

RogerB
19-04-2011, 10:36
It's still likely that I'll have 2 spare freebies to Southampton if anyone is kicking their heels 02May.

I would do (don't know S'oton very well) but the mighty Darts have managed to get through to the Kent Senior Cup Final (v Bromley) which is being played that day so silverware, big crowd and some celebratory Bank Holiday beers beckon.

trainman
29-04-2011, 10:47

The travel may seem cumbersome for 6.5hrs in Southampton, but it has a few worthy hostelries should anyone wish to use this booking (x2)...

gillhalfpint
29-04-2011, 16:28
In Oxford at the moment and travelled down to Reading for a great time at the festival there on Thursday, and will go down again tomorrow.

Move across to Banbury on Tuesday for a few days and will make it to the festival there on Friday and Saturday.

an_ecumenical_matter
01-05-2011, 10:59
Will see you and Ray at Banbury Gill. Reading was OK(?),I found a lot of the beer to be lacking in bite and condition.

gillhalfpint
01-05-2011, 17:47
We enjoyed the beers at Reading and was only disappointed with a 3.4% one that didn't seem to have anything going for it. Liverpool One Session. Took one back that had come to the end of the barrel. We disagreed on North Riding Peasholme by night as I found it ok but Ray didn't like it.

Will be at Banbury for noon Friday and Saturday but have to leave for the last bus before 6pm or face a long walk back to the caravan site.

Quinno
04-05-2011, 14:05
Reading was OK(?),I found a lot of the beer to be lacking in bite and condition.

We had a few issues with the heat in the tents - a few casks exploded and the beer went quicker than normal despite a lot of watering...

hondo
04-05-2011, 14:46
We had a few issues with the heat in the tents - a few casks exploded and the beer went quicker than normal despite a lot of watering...

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2092043_record_breaking_reading_beer_and_cider_fes tival

hondo
06-05-2011, 13:35
Heading to York on monday for six days horseracing & bevvy:nishelypished:. Hoping for better luck at the knavesmire than nasty dick :ninja:

Paris_Hilton
07-05-2011, 17:07
Minor crawl around Devon next weekend to here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54683/, here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60694/ and here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/7875/.

Then perhaps the annual beer festival here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/33119/ the folllowing weekend

trainman
08-05-2011, 09:36
Minor crawl around Devon next weekend to here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54683/,
Tom Cobley - lucky you!
Was closed for the weekend (for staff beano) when I tried to book a room a coupla years back when it would have completed my nap hand of that year's four camra finalists. It remains firmly on the target list although accessability makes for a tricky mission.
Two days later a pal sent a photo from the pub cellar, with a note saying they had 'only' 18 beers on, just to rub it in...

trainman
08-05-2011, 09:48
Portsmouth yesterday, £1ew on megabus/train & allowed to remain in 1st class on way back, for card table.
We missed out what should be a real mission pub, Hole in the Wall, due to the ludicrous policy of not opening until 16:00, even on a Saturday! The other 8 contributed to a rather foggy outlook today.

Some footy or other happening next Saturday and this ticketless wanderer is likely to end up in Brighton for a Hophead-y warm up, prior to Fishersgate (Stanley Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53630/)) for the main event.

PaulOfHorsham
11-05-2011, 20:31
A post-work trip to a Belgo.

I fear that some of the party will order Stella. In this unfortunate event, am I within my rights to publicly denounce the culprits?

trainman
12-05-2011, 07:01
am I within my rights to publicly denounce the culprits?

... or warn their wives?

Maybe one should merely have sympathy for both...

gillhalfpint
12-05-2011, 08:56
It's been a quietweek since we got back from Banbury but we are going to Stourbridge beer fest on Friday. Opens at 12. There are 15 beers new to us, so should have a decent day out.

RogerB
12-05-2011, 11:02
Will hopefully be watching the Cup Final at the Dial Arch in Woolwich who conveniently happen to be having a beer festival to celebrate the start of the Great Baltic voyage to deliver some Imperial Rusiian Stout samples to St Petersberg.

Pubsignman
12-05-2011, 12:26
Will hopefully be watching the Cup Final at the Dial Arch in Woolwich who conveniently happen to be having a beer festival to celebrate the start of the Great Baltic voyage to deliver some Imperial Rusiian Stout samples to St Petersberg.

I was going to go to this as well - thought it sounded really interesting, especially if you can sample some of the Imperial Stout before it departs - but now I have a Play-Off semi-final to worry about on Saturday instead. :)

RogerB
15-05-2011, 13:22
Went to the Dial Arch - 14 Imperial Russian Stouts on offer - the weakest was 6.9% the strongest was (I think) 11.4%. Not exactly a festival for a lengthy session!

Bucking Fastard
18-05-2011, 12:51
Boating progress has been slow but steady ,and the visit to the Erewash Canal and the eastern part of the Trent and Mersey resulted in some excellent pub visits and great ale.:drinkup: Thanks for the advice Al,very helpful.

Taking advantage of some safe moorings in Rugeley at present,and the plan is to hit Stafford next Wednesday with a particular aim to visit the Sun Inn ,a recent addition to the Titanic fleet.Having in the past visited The White Star in Stoke and The Royal Exchange in Stone ,both wonderful Titanic outlets within walking distance of the canal,I hope for a hat-trick of excellence at The Sun.If this coincides with anyone else's plans please let me know.

After Stafford,heading to a boatyard in Oxley near Wolverhampton for some running repairs.Still intent on a visit to Walsall but I need to get the hull repainted out of the water,so may be over there sometime in mid/late June if I can find a dry dock in the meantime.

gillhalfpint
07-06-2011, 10:05
Not so much a pub crawl as a county crawl, but spent last night plotting and planning pubs we have never been to in Cornwall for visits. There are 22 of them,but will not be going to Scilly Isles, or those close to Bude and Plymouth.

Today’s jaunt is to the New Inn, Wendron, followed by Blue Anchor, Helston.

Other trips out are:
Victory Inn, Towan Cross followed by an hour or two in Porthtowan.
Falcon Inn, St Mawgan, followed by an hour in Newquay.
Trengilly Wartha Inn at Nancenoy near Constantine.
Queen’s Arms in Botallack followed by Star, Crowlas.
Brea Inn in Brea, followed by Smugglers Inn in St Erth Praze.
Red River Inn, Gwithian followed by Driftwood Spa, St Agnes.
Rann Wartha St Austell, followed by Rashleigh Inn Polkerris.

Want to try to get to Kings Head Inn Ruan Lanihorne, but it looks to be a couple of miles to walk from the nearest bus stop on an iffy road.

May pick up other pubs when doing various towns, and also looking for festivals at pubs, like the Star at Vogue on 2nd July. Worked at St Ives fest a couple of days and have the train tickets to go to Plymouth fest, but if anyone knows anywhere else worth a visit I will try to fit them in.

trainman
31-05-2012, 23:08
I suppose the long weekend will offer a variety of beer festivals around the country; not sure why publicans need a bank holiday to trigger entrepreneurial behaviour.
I'm toying with the possibility of twinning the Boathouse, Kingston, and the Red Lion Isleworth, on Sat, both claiming a 50 strong beer list. I've not yet mapped whether the Sussex Arms could be thrown in as a joker. Maybe for Sunday's hair-of-dog...

Maldenman
01-06-2012, 21:50
Boathouse? Is that Boaters? Didn't know they had a festival on.

Away again this weekend so I'll see what I discover.

Quinno
01-06-2012, 22:30
My August holiday to Yorks/Derbyshire confirmed, started a separate thread for any of our friends in the North who fancy a meet-oop.

gillhalfpint
01-06-2012, 22:37
Found a few beer fests round Cornwall pubs today. Turks Head in Penzance have 4 casks on stillage and 4 on the bar but it is £3 a pint and £1.75 a half.

Godolphin Marazion have 30 ales on and they were £3.50 a pint and £1.75 a half.

Mounts Bay at Mullion was our favourite today at £3 a pint and £1.50 a half, and had 12 ales on stillage and 4 on the bar.

Wild Rover
01-06-2012, 22:49
In about 3 weeks time i will be going to Cornwall for 7 days with base camp being at Falmouth.I will be mainly travelling west with trips to possibly Penzance,St Ives,Camborne,Helston,Redruth and Truro.Without looking at every review, is there any must do pubs in these areas.

gillhalfpint
01-06-2012, 23:24
Star Crowlas, Star Vogue near Redruth - beer fest 16th June, Watermill Lelant has a fest in marquee 23 June, Front at Falmouth.

Camborne, Redruth and Truro JDW's best bet. Heard there is a new JDW in St Ives.
Red River Gwithian outside Hayle. Britannia in Chacewater 14/18 bus route Redruth - Truro.

There are plenty serving decent beer in Good Beer Guide, but not a great variety of ales around as many are serving Sharps, Skinners or St Austell beers.

We just got here Saturday so still looking round. Above based on last year's visit.

oldboots
02-06-2012, 09:52
Burton on Trent, Gloucester, and Birmingham during the first week of October, rounding off with the PuG minibus trip round the sublime Black Country and my annual fix of Bathams.

Andy Ven
02-06-2012, 22:14
Just come back from Snowdonia/North Wales (not much PG coverage there really) and I have a Black Country crawl planned, followed by the Severn Valley (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/crawl/viewcrawl.php?crawl=482), followed by the PG Black Country crawl (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?9924-Best-of-the-Black-Country)in October

Quinno
02-06-2012, 22:36
followed by the PG Black Country crawl in October

I think I may have missed this on the forum - is there a date set?

Andy Ven
02-06-2012, 22:55
I think I may have missed this on the forum - is there a date set?

It's on Friday 5th October. We chewed it over in Recommend Me Do (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?9924-Best-of-the-Black-Country). Let me know if you're in

Quinno
03-06-2012, 11:25
It's on Friday 5th October. We chewed it over in Recommend Me Do (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?9924-Best-of-the-Black-Country). Let me know if you're in

Damn - that's slap-bang in my busy period at work. I suspect it's a no at this point unless I get a new job!

Farway
03-06-2012, 11:27
Walking down to the first annual beer festival at the Cowplain Social club (http://www.cowplainsocialclub.org.uk/), doors open at noon

Open to public today (http://cowplainsocialclub.org.uk/1/category/events-entertainment/)

Nearest pub, Spotted Cow (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14107/) opposite

Didn't add this to the beer festivals, password problems still

gillhalfpint
03-06-2012, 12:00
We plan to go to St Ives, Cornwall beer fest 8.6.12 and to Star, Vogue near Redruth beer fest 16.6.12. Enjoyed both last year.

Managed 3 fests round here on Friday that are still on this weekend if anyone is around.

Turks Head, Penzance. 4 on stillage plus about 4 on bar.
Godolphin Marazion 30 on stillage
Mounts Bay, Mullion 12 on stillage and about 4 on bar.

Gill

Wild Rover
03-06-2012, 12:39
Thanks for info Gill,i will try to do as much as possibly but at the same time will try not to overdo it as Mrs Wild Rover will be at the helm all week

Bucking Fastard
03-06-2012, 17:45
Moving the boat into solid drinking country shortly,with a visit to Gainsborough on the way.Route 1 to Leeds means tackling the tidal Trent and Aire and Calder canal,with a holiday week at the end of the month to navigate from Leeds to Liverpool finishing up in The Albert Dock.

Beginning with quite a few beers on Friday June 29th in Leeds,I plan to visit the following towns on successive evenings

Keighley 30th
Skipton 1st July
Burnley 2nd
Wheelton 3rd
Wigan 4th
Liverpool 5th

There will be lunchtime stops as well,so there will have to be a major detox:nishelypished: while I write up my reviews.;)

If any PuGers are closeby on those night and fancy a beer or three with a shabby crew,just PM me at some stage:cheers:

Mobyduck
05-06-2012, 00:42
Planning a London trip in a couple of weeks fitting in a few old favorites to the east,The Palm tree,Eleanor Arms,Carpenters Arms in Cheshire Street and The Pride of Spitalfields plus a couple of others no doubt,but as ever nearly all London trips start and end in the Harp. Cant wait.

Mobyduck
09-06-2012, 06:51
Unfortunately working all weekend so restricted to a couple in the local ,could be worse i suppose .:(

gillhalfpint
09-06-2012, 08:46
After a brilliant day at St Ives beer festival yesterday, we have a couple lined up for next week.

June 15 Crown Penzance. 10 ales
June 16 Star Vogue.
then
June 23 Watermill, Lelant.

Mobyduck
17-06-2012, 21:07
Another two days of work then a week off:pray:,time for more beer and pubs,plus a trip up the east end, cant wait.:cheers:

gillhalfpint
17-06-2012, 22:30
There is a rumour that we could have a dry day in Cornwall tomorrow, so we may go to Gwithian and I can walk along Red River Valley, after sampling the ales in the Red River pub, or we may risk going round on the open top 300 bus from St Ives round Lands End and Penzance and call into the Star at Crowlas before heading back to the caravan. Decisions...decisions...

trainman
18-06-2012, 12:51
There is a rumour that we could have a dry day in Cornwall tomorrow...
Blimey Gill, I nearly choked on me sandwich when I read the above.
Fortunately it became clear, in the next sentence, that you must have been talking about weather! Silly trainman...

Al 10000
18-06-2012, 17:36
A trip round some Lincolnshire pubs this weekend and probably a day out in Norwich next Saturday which should net me quite a few new pubs.

gillhalfpint
18-06-2012, 18:19
Yes the weather was dry, but we did have a couple of beers in the new St Ives Wetherspoon's bar between buses. It is really handy for that at the bottom of the hill from the bus station.

Strongers
18-06-2012, 18:57
I'm waiting for summer to arrive so that I can finish Brighton off by doing the seasonal bars along the beach. Not much else planned except for watching the football locally.

Pubsignman
18-06-2012, 19:58
The football fixtures came out today so I'll be putting together plans based around them soon. I'm a bit annoyed that I'll miss the comparatively local derby against Pompey on the opening day of the season, as I'm off on my hols.

However, I should be able to console myself with the fact that the first game I'll be back in time for is Sheffield Utd away. :cheers:

trainman
19-06-2012, 13:25
I'll be back in time for is Sheffield Utd away. :cheers:
Recommend you start monitoring availability on megatrain from mid-Jul; we averaged £6 each for day-rtn last week.
If staying over, consider a room early at Hillsborough Hotel.

I have bookings for Leic (again), 14Jul, £5rtn, Brum, 21Jul, £15rtn, and France 28Jul, a little more. Best start stocking up some bottles to see me through down Provence way...

Mobyduck
26-06-2012, 06:15
On my way to London today for a small crawl around the East End, should be in the The Eleanor Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24981/) by about 12.00,cant wait.:drinkup:

RogerB
26-06-2012, 09:04
Henley Regatta tomorrow although it being a work jolly I imagine all the drink will be sourced from the fridge of our CEO's narrowboat rather than a pub. Thursday evening off to Lyme Regis for a long weekender - got 8 pubs in Lyme Regis to tick off and a list of around 20 of the finest gems in the area for daytime exploration including this gem of a brewpub hitherto apparently untouched by PG researchers (despite a multitude of pics) - Fountain Head (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55168/)

Delboy20
26-06-2012, 20:18
Got myself a ticket for Burton Albion away ( pre season match ) on Sat 14th July. I have spent one day in Burton before but barely scatched the surface. plenty of new pubs to shoot at !!

Plus another new ground for me to tick off - happy days !!

Mobyduck
27-06-2012, 11:37
Last day of my week off today so going to have a couple in the Prince of Wales (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59583/) Farnborough.:cheers:

Millay
30-06-2012, 08:48
I have a quick Manchester visit in a few weeks to celebrate the retirement of a work colleague. The problem is he's holding it in a Slug & Lettuce. I'll try to tag on an extra day and take in a few old favourites plus try out the new Brewdog bar.

Quinno
30-06-2012, 10:31
Off on a minibus crawl today to judge Central Southern CAMRA Pub of the Year. Tally ho!

Mobyduck
06-07-2012, 08:16
Up to the The Harp (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53779/) today for a few plus a wander nearby. :drinkup:

Al 10000
20-07-2012, 17:11
Off on a pub crawl up Sheffield tomorrow but will have a bit of a late start as i am at work in the morning,i will hopefully get around 20 new pubs done to me and all but one have not been reviewed yet.

gillhalfpint
20-07-2012, 20:16
I have discovered some wonderful mining trails and there is usually a pub around the start and / or finish of them.

Saturday I did Chacewater to Wheal Busy, then walked the trail to Portreath calling in the Bridge Inn (Coastal Poseidon )at Bridge on the way,

Yesterday started out at Devoran picking up a beer (Otter Bitter )at the start in the Old Quay, then walked back to where Saturday's walk started then popped into the Britannia Hotel in Chacewater for a few Tintagel beers (Harbour Special and Castle Gold).

Today I caught a bus to Bridge and walked back to Cambrose to get onto the mining trail I had missed on Saturday. I ended up walking the road, so wanted to do the actual trail down to Portreath. Found the Portreath Arms Hotel for a welcome Sharps Special then found the 5.5 mile trail to Brea. Disaster - the Brea pub was closed for good by the looks of it, so I went to the Tuckingmill Hotel on the main road for a quick one before catching the bus back to the site. Brains Le Peloton was on there and very welcome.

I have an excellent cycle and walking map of some more of these trails in the area, so will be doing them in the nextr couple of weeks before leaving Cornwall. Pub reports and photos to follow.

Strongers
04-08-2012, 19:15
I'm off to Weymouth on Monday for a family holiday. Hoping to slip away every now and again to sample some pubs of the area.

gillhalfpint
04-08-2012, 19:43
7 Aug - GBBF
15 Aug - Chertsey to do Egham fest
22 Aug - Ferry Meadows to do Peterborough fest
25 Aug - Ferryhill to do Durham fest
6 Sept - Tamworth fest
7 Sept - Minehead for Minehead fest
20 Sept - Belgium

Well after 9 weeks in Cornwall I'm ready for a bit of festival action.

Mobyduck
07-08-2012, 20:17
Planning to do a few old favourite pubs in London on Monday or Tuesday next week with a couple of mates, likely around Holborn,Farringdon and possibly the City,and of course a visit to The Harp (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53779/)

gillhalfpint
09-08-2012, 13:29
We did a crawl round Leicester yesterday, and from the rail station made our way for noon opening at a new Black Country Ales pub.

Kings Head on New Walk opposite The Pub where we had Lincoln Green Torch Light and Broughs Spring Field. They had 4 Black Country Ales and 4 guests on.

Over to The Pub, where we had an excellent bagette and chips with our beer of choice, Welbeck Abbey Slovak Paradise and Newmans Exuberant Horse.

Slug and Lettuce not a usual for us, but had heard good reports of this Leicester one as they have fests there, so tried it, and found Llangorse Maid Horsin' Around, and Broughton Dark Dunter.

Long Stop was next and is one of the good ones. They seem to showcase a brewery at a time, and yesterday it was Hopping Mad Brewery. We chose Liberty American Pale Ale and Hoppiness.

Salmon next. This to us is the best in Leicester now, and we will be back there on 27 Sept for their new brewery beer festival. Had Eden Gold, XT5, Bowness Bay Tern Mild, Alechemy 5ive Sisters, Fox Kanook. Wow. Landlord is a goodun and does cellar runs if not too busy.

Criterion next for Abbeydale Larceny, Flipside On Your Marks and Gundog Golden Hunter.

Brilliant day out, and to me it is better than Derby IMHO as there is more ale variation as it is not full of brewpubs.

Have fun.

Gill

Mobyduck
10-08-2012, 05:45
Got the day off ,was going to GBBF but have decided to give it a miss this year,instead I'm going to catch a train to Oxford and do a few pub's there. :cheers:

RogerB
14-08-2012, 10:07
Now footy is back I can start planning a few awaydays. Have a blank day on Saturday so planning to do a footy/pub combo in Faversham. Then Bank Holiday Monday the mighty Darts have their first decent awayday at Cambridge United so a few pubs beckon. Since I'm currently 27 pubs behind my 2012 target so these 2 dates will help keep things on track!

trainman
14-08-2012, 14:02
I'm currently 27 pubs behind my 2012 target
Pro-rata, or just 27 to go? :eek:

Gann
14-08-2012, 18:30
Just booked an Overnight for Saturday night in Oxford as the wife was getting restless after 2 weeks glued in front of the Tele..
Did Cambridge back in May so have decided to go for the University double..
Think I have identified most of the must do's and have followed Mobyducks recent reviews

Oggwyn Trench
14-08-2012, 21:35
Just booked an Overnight for Saturday night in Oxford as the wife was getting restless after 2 weeks glued in front of the Tele..
Think I have identified most of the must do's and have followed Mobyducks recent reviews

Dont do a Moby and miss the White Horse:whistle: , not done Oxford for a few years i used to like the Grapes but i have heard its changed and not for the better :(

Only did half a dozen or so pubs in Cambridge and found them a bit dissapointing beer wise , Oxford much better

PaulOfHorsham
14-08-2012, 21:50
Dont do a Moby and miss the White Horse:whistle: , not done Oxford for a few years i used to like the Grapes but i have heard its changed and not for the better :(

Only did half a dozen or so pubs in Cambridge and found them a bit dissapointing beer wise , Oxford much better

Say it ain't so, Oggwyn! I fancy a trip to Cambridge myself next month (kind of got Oxford covered already, sort of).

Mobyduck
14-08-2012, 22:58

No dont do a Moby ,missing out the white horse was a bit of a schoolboy error I think. as for the rest of my list all recommended bar two which I wouldn't return to, Far from the Madding Crowd did nothing for me at all and Jude the Obscure wasn't worth the extra little walk out of town, all the other pubs were worth the visit,although the beer in the chequers was obscenely cold. Best Pub by far for beer quality was the Royal Blenhim ,highly recommended .Gann I'm sure you will enjoy your visit.

gillhalfpint
15-08-2012, 08:41
Although Far from the Maddening Crowd is not like a traditional pub, I have found on my visits to Oxford it often has one of the best range of beer in Oxford and I don't miss it out for that reason.

We are off to a new area for us today, Chertsey, as we are travelling from there to Egham for the United Services Club's excellent beer festival over the next 3 days.

Anyone recommend somewhere to visit in Chertsey tonight?

Bucking Fastard
15-08-2012, 10:14
I fancy a trip to Cambridge myself next month .

Then Bank Holiday Monday the mighty Darts have their first decent awayday at Cambridge United so a few pubs beckon.

Paul,it sounds like Roger will do his usual thorough recce around Cambridge shortly,so that should give some pointers as to where decent ale can be found.Sadly progress on The Cambridge Tap has been much delayed.And a lot of the charming small community locals in Cambridge are tied to GK,which brings it's own problems if you are looking for interesting beers.
Although Cambridge is a remote outpost of the Inland Waterways network,it is only 1hr 20 mins by(that new fangled ! ) railway from where I live,so if you dont mind me tagging along ,I am happy to help in your quest for discovery.:drinkup:

Gann
15-08-2012, 10:30
Thanks Oggwyn, comment about the White Horse duly noted and 'on map'..

And my experience of Cambridge was that it is a fine ale town, just not in the centre..
For an ale trail the best thing to do is stay close to the station and I added a bit of a crawl to assist..
But if traveling with 'her who must be obeyed' for a city visit, book accommodation to the south of town, spend one day being dragged round all the colleges with an odd pint in one of the tourist traps, and then spend the second day walking the back streets to the South and East of town..

trainman
15-08-2012, 13:22
Wow! I couldn't agree with that. I only did oxford once but wasn't really impressed, although I cannot evidence why - having lost copious notes in/around pub 11 (of 12).
Really like Cambridge though, even if prev fav Live&Let Live needs to up its game to return to the top division. Shortage of time meant I didn't get out to the Red Lion Histon last time but will try to do that 15min bus ride next visit. The excellent Cambridge Blue has changed shape slightly and now offers more bar space and, well, space, inside. Kingston had a stellar beer line up and I didn't see any of the ludicrous reserved signs (early sat pm). I always call in Elm Tree (bloke who used to have Reading Hobgoblin), but it's still not quite there for me. I added geldhardt to last list, but can't remember it, or Devonshire.
Paul, if you get more than 2 travelling from Londonium, look out for groupsaves (4-4-2, 3-4-2).

Oggwyn Trench
15-08-2012, 18:40
As i said on my Cambridge visit i only managed half a dozen pubs in the centre , all but one GK :( , never got around to the further out ones , blame the wife .

I have been to Oxford 3 or 4 times and have always enjoyed drinking there , it helps as most of the good pubs are close together

PaulOfHorsham
15-08-2012, 20:33
Although Cambridge is a remote outpost of the Inland Waterways network,it is only 1hr 20 mins by(that new fangled ! ) railway from where I live,so if you dont mind me tagging along ,I am happy to help in your quest for discovery.:drinkup:

Well, that's well worth considering - I have a week off 10th - 14th September and would hope to get to Cambridge during that period.

RogerB
16-08-2012, 13:45
[QUOTE=Bucking Fastard;47599]Paul,it sounds like Roger will do his usual thorough recce around Cambridge shortly,so that should give some pointers as to where decent ale can be found.[QUOTE]

Yes, I should be able to remember half of where I intend to go! I believe young Quinno will be joinng me so he will hopefully remember the other half.

Bucking Fastard
17-08-2012, 12:15
Well, that's well worth considering - I have a week off 10th - 14th September and would hope to get to Cambridge during that period.

Monday,Wednesday or Thursday of that week would suit me fine,plus the steers from Roger and Quinno.

Gann
20-08-2012, 17:18
Thanks Oggwyn, comment about the White Horse duly noted and 'on map'...

Thank you gentlemen, good weekend in Oxford was had, helped by the fact that it was the hottest weekend of the year so far so managed to drag the missus into a few beer gardens.

White Horse was definitely up there and the wife enjoyed the difference of the Turf Tavern.

I also enjoyed the Eagle and Child, which had the added bonus of being a good reality check and realisation that we're not the only nutters out there.
It was very busy yesterday with a large party all wearing badges pertaining to be part of the 'Return of the Ring fellowship'.
Basically a right odd assortment on a Tolkien trail, who seemed to be getting excited about the post lunch trip north to where he was buried.
They should be thankful that the old boy had the sense to drink in a half decent boozer that has avoided the clutches of GK.

Mobyduck
20-08-2012, 20:38
Thank you gentlemen, good weekend in Oxford was had, helped by the fact that it was the hottest weekend of the year so far so managed to drag the missus into a few beer gardens.

White Horse was definitely up there and the wife enjoyed the difference of the Turf Tavern.

I also enjoyed the Eagle and Child, which had the added bonus of being a good reality check and realisation that we're not the only nutters out there.
It was very busy yesterday with a large party all wearing badges pertaining to be part of the 'Return of the Ring fellowship'.
Basically a right odd assortment on a Tolkien trail, who seemed to be getting excited about the post lunch trip north to where he was buried.
They should be thankful that the old boy had the sense to drink in a half decent boozer that has avoided the clutches of GK.

Glad you enjoyed Oxford Gann, I enjoyed my trip there,I will make sure I don't forget The White Horse next time.

PaulOfHorsham
20-08-2012, 20:39
Monday,Wednesday or Thursday of that week would suit me fine,plus the steers from Roger and Quinno.

Oh, right..... Wednesday or Thursday are more likely than Monday. Shall we say Thursday 13th September then?

Bucking Fastard
21-08-2012, 23:01
Oh, right..... Wednesday or Thursday are more likely than Monday. Shall we say Thursday 13th September then?

That's in my diary,looking forward to it.

hondo
22-08-2012, 08:01
Sadly progress on The Cambridge Tap has been much delayed.
from the world of twitter
"About 500m from station. New build but it's a craft beer bar not a pub so will suit. Very interesting fit out coming up"
https://mobile.twitter.com/CambridgeTap1

gillhalfpint
22-08-2012, 08:34
Going to Peterborough for the festival. We booked the site in advance hoping for a full day Thursday and Friday, but found out that they have changed things and we will only get 12 - 2.30 Thursday this year. If we queue half hour then struggle to find seats like last year (but it was all day Thursday last year) then we we have very little drinking time left as we don't tend to do evening sessions. Too noisy.

ETA
22-08-2012, 09:24
1 September, Faversham Hop Fest: anyone else going? My first festival in Kent for a couple of years due to work committments.

ROBCamra
26-08-2012, 18:59
Todmorden Beer Festival is 20th - 22nd September this year. We'll be there on Saturday 22nd from about 1.

OB, A&H are you likely to be joining us again this year? :cheers:

oldboots
26-08-2012, 21:31
Todmorden Beer Festival is 20th - 22nd September this year. We'll be there on Saturday 22nd from about 1.

I noticed it was coming up and all being well I should get there, I'm off to the York one on the 20th so I should have recovered by Saturday :D

aleandhearty
27-08-2012, 11:31

Good to see you back ROB. Will almost certainly make it. Mrs A&H enjoyed herself last year, so hopefully she'll tag along.

hondo
28-08-2012, 08:18
from the world of twitter
"About 500m from station. New build but it's a craft beer bar not a pub so will suit. Very interesting fit out coming up"
https://mobile.twitter.com/CambridgeTap1

hondo
28-08-2012, 08:23
wish i could make this http://darkstarbrewing.co.uk/hopfest/

Mobyduck
28-08-2012, 09:10

Me to, but unfortunately working all weekend. :(

Oggwyn Trench
28-08-2012, 18:23
Got a few days off which nicley coincides with this http://www.rat2012.org.uk/index.html :D

PaulOfHorsham
28-08-2012, 21:45
That's in my diary,looking forward to it.

And in mine also. Any other takers? Thursday 13th September trip to Cambridge.....:drinkup:

PaulOfHorsham
28-08-2012, 21:46

I can and fully intend to do so (just a bus ride away! :) )

Mobyduck
06-09-2012, 22:39
In London Tomorrow,around Clerkenwell, Holborn ,Covent Garden and might get to the Euston Tap for a virgin visit.

Bucking Fastard
06-09-2012, 23:04
Long weekend in Stafford and Stone,plenty of Titanic on the horizon :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Quinno
07-09-2012, 19:48
I've been pretty quiet since by Northern beer tour, I think I had a month's supply in a week and I've been a little laid back since then. However Mrs Quinno jets off to the US for a fortnight at the end of next week so I have plenty of time for reviewing and tripping... :D

Spinko
09-09-2012, 18:41
Off to Sheffield Friday for it's never-ending beer festival. Great town for drinking. The week after I'm at a wedding in Cambridge, for which I'm splitting the journey into two legs and having an overnight near Euston. It's a late arrival so I expect I'll just have two or three in The Tap. There's an Aberystwyth visit looming in early October too to see how my old university town is faring now students are coughing up £9k per year. I expect a few more closures.

aleandhearty
10-09-2012, 12:10
Looking forward to a wander round Saltaire, Shipley and Baildon, tomorrow, with 'oldboots'. I'm sure there'll be some decent contenders for BOTW.

oldboots
10-09-2012, 15:09
Looking forward to a wander round Saltaire, Shipley and Baildon, tomorrow, with 'oldboots'. I'm sure there'll be some decent contenders for BOTW.

The Junction in Baildon is brewing its own nowadays so we'll have to try that.

Bucking Fastard
10-09-2012, 15:32
After a two month delay while the hull got patched up,back on the move next week.Planning a pilgrimage to The Marble Arch ,Manchester with Mr Phat on the evening of Tuesday 18th Sept to see if the pub is as good as I recall three years ago,before pub reviewing took over my life ;)

If any of the other local correspondents fancy meeting up in there,that would be great.I know there are some other great venues in The Northern Quarter,but if the Marble beers are on form,it may be difficult to leave. :nishelypished:

Spinko
10-09-2012, 19:29
After a two month delay while the hull got patched up,back on the move next week.Planning a pilgrimage to The Marble Arch ,Manchester with Mr Phat on the evening of Tuesday 18th Sept to see if the pub is as good as I recall three years ago,before pub reviewing took over my life ;)

If any of the other local correspondents fancy meeting up in there,that would be great.I know there are some other great venues in The Northern Quarter,but if the Marble beers are on form,it may be difficult to leave. :nishelypished:

I don't usually drink that early in the week, I tend to break the duck on a Thursday. If you don't fancy the N/4 proper, take a trip down the road to the Angel, especially if it's a decent day. Much cheaper than the Marble Arch, a decent range, and barmaids more pleasing on the eye...

Sparkplug
12-09-2012, 22:05
Here's a challenge for those near Maidstone and Medway:

http://www.155bus.co.uk/#/155-bus-pub-slide-show/4568700679

Using a bus to save your local pubs, while using your local pubs to save a bus service.

PaulOfHorsham
13-09-2012, 08:19
Here's a challenge for those near Maidstone and Medway:

http://www.155bus.co.uk/#/155-bus-pub-slide-show/4568700679

Using a bus to save your local pubs, while using your local pubs to save a bus service.

Sussex CAMRA have been doing regular 'Bus to the Pub (http://www.aaa-camra.org.uk/BTTP/bttp.html)' trips for some time. Beer & public transport have an obvious affinity (for example, today I shall be using several trains to get me to & from Cambridge).

RogerB
13-09-2012, 09:25
Beer/footy trips on the cards include 22 Sep - Faversham (a bit of neutral non-league ground hopping), 5/6 Oct - the Brum bash match undetrmined at the mo, 13-17 Oct - not booked yet but hopefully 5 days in Barrow (a hefty away game) with Ulvaston, Windermere and anywhere else I can get to on a bus, 28 Oct Southampton (if I can get a match ticket), 12 Nov Medway Hopper Festival (no footy but a great fest) and 18-21 Nov to a yet to be decided destination, possibly Sheffield (with a trip to Rotherham's new pad). Apart from that, not much occuring. If anyone wants to meet/accompany me on any stretch of any of these dates, do let me know.

aleandhearty
13-09-2012, 12:39

The Junction in Baildon is brewing its own nowadays so we'll have to try that.

Really good to see you on Tuesday 'ob'. Another excellent day out. The Junction was definitely my pub of the day and I suspect the Blonde may well be BOTW, after that initial shock.

RogerB
13-09-2012, 12:48
not booked yet but hopefully 5 days in Barrow (a hefty away game) with Ulvaston, Windermere and anywhere else I can get to on a bus,

Now booked up to this rather isolated patch of the country. It's an area of few worthwhile reviews at the moment but does seem to have some reasonable enough pubs if you do enough research.

trainman
13-09-2012, 12:58
This coming Sat, maybe Snorbans.

I've booked train to Lewes 06Oct for the Snowdrop's 'Great Beer Exposition 2012'. If any southern based PGers cannot make the previous day's Black Country tour or, unlikely, survived the excesses of the Black Country tour, I'll be staggering around between noon & 18:00-ish (I think).

12Oct an overnight in Manchester, family stuff then hoping to meet some boyhood pals but suspect they'll be having slipper re-treads, or somesuch, on the day.

Booked train to Pompey for 27Oct, just coz it became available at £1ew (Southampton & Portsmouth are easiest for this price; sorry Roger, not Sundays)

Hope to get a cheap cheapy to Nottingham (then Beeston) for a Sat in November.

I'm in Derby overnight 16Nov and a beerfest (I'm told) at Uttoxeter races 17Nov.

Norwich: hmmm, I'll be watching that space...

Gann
16-09-2012, 12:56
Back up in Cambridge this weekend.
Currently sitting in the Geldart staring at 8 pumps.
A previously in reviewed pub close to the Holy Trinity I will be gladly adding this one to the 'should Visits' when in Cambridge

Bucking Fastard
16-09-2012, 15:52
I don't usually drink that early in the week, I tend to break the duck on a Thursday. If you don't fancy the N/4 proper, take a trip down the road to the Angel, especially if it's a decent day. Much cheaper than the Marble Arch, a decent range, and barmaids more pleasing on the eye...

Thanks for the steer on The Angel,barmaids and all.On my one and only trip to The Marble Arch,there was a very attractive barmaid serving that lunchtime,but judgement may have been clouded by the consumption of five pints of Lagonda IPA.

gillhalfpint
16-09-2012, 17:59
After a fantastic few days exploring the 15 Good Beer Guide pubs in Norwich, our next trip is to Belgium to explore round some of the Abbey breweries there for a few days.

Then its the Salmon, Leicester for a new brewery beer festival before taking the caravan to Sheffield area to do the festival there, our Black Country trip, then on to Arnold for the Nottingham festival.

Delboy20
16-09-2012, 19:43
Off to Wakefield this weekend for a wedding so should be a few new pubs for me !!

oldboots
16-09-2012, 20:43
York beer festival on Thursday, 230 beers (http://yorkbeerfestival.org.uk/2012/beer.php) to check out, I may be some time but hopefully ready for Todmorden Beer Fest on Saturday.

PaulOfHorsham
17-09-2012, 21:47
I've booked train to Lewes 06Oct for the Snowdrop's 'Great Beer Exposition 2012'. If any southern based PGers cannot make the previous day's Black Country tour or, unlikely, survived the excesses of the Black Country tour, I'll be staggering around between noon & 18:00-ish (I think).

That'll be me then, although I expect to confine my staggering to trips between seat and temporary bar outside; plus down South Street back to the station :whistle:

PaulOfHorsham
17-09-2012, 22:24
Back up in Cambridge this weekend.
Currently sitting in the Geldart staring at 8 pumps.
A previously in reviewed pub close to the Holy Trinity I will be gladly adding this one to the 'should Visits' when in Cambridge

Crikey! Cambridge is getting trickier by the post!

Bucking Fastard and myself toured 8 of the city's finest (well, 7 + 1) last week - I've mapped the route on a pub crawl (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/crawl/viewcrawl.php?crawl=376) (but I do wish I could now edit it and and a few comments). As I can't, the notes are here (supplementing the reviews already completed by BF and my ongoing efforts to remember what the last few pubs were like!):

I decided we had to plan around the city's abstemious attitude to afternoon drinking and that this was best achieved by heading straight to The Salisbury (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/2702/) and checking maps - a good starter handy for the station.
Next round the corner to The Live & Let Live (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/2647/), and straight past, as that one didn't even open at lunchtimes (contrary to the pub's website and even the notice in the window - later in the day, we had a suggestion that the landlord's commitment was flagging, although we didn't get a chance to properly investigate ourselves).
The next two were in close proximity - Free Press (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/2601/) and Elm Tree (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/2588/). Mild & sandwiches in the former, Belgian beer passed over in the latter. A brief website perusal suggests that the nearby The First & Last and Clarendon may also be worth a call.
After some sightseeing (managing to sneak into one of the colleges round the back and strolling confidently out the front entrance), we popped into the disappointing Pickerel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/2664/) (as the Castle further up the road closes during the afternoon).
We also needed a backup for the St Radegund and decided upon The Hopbine (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/2629/) (although not directly, as our printed maps just didn't have enough back-street detail to get us there without an unintended diversion almost to the Free Press again!).
On the home straight now and on to the beer temples of The Cambridge Blue (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/2552/) and Kingston Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/2642/) - the former in particular appealed to me, although it's probably as well we don't have anywhere that enticing in Horsham.
Lastly, The Devonshire (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/2578/) was conveniently en-route back to the train. Friendly locals here who happily tolerate well-oiled pub reviewers.

Pictures have been submitted and should appear soon.

And you tell me that there are still more to investigate? It's a tough life.

Wittenden
25-09-2012, 23:24
We've just booked a couple of days near The Kings Head in Gunnerside when we take our son back to York Uni. I doubt if we'll try many new pubs, though I've just realised that I haven't reviewed this pub for PUG-I don't know why.

Mobyduck
28-09-2012, 21:46
Working all weekend but sandwiched in between is three hours or so on the R.A.T. (Real Ale Train), basically an evening on a steam train on the Watercress line ,Alton to Alresford and back a couple of times drinking ale,(bright beer).Been a couple of times before and can recommend. Featured breweries this time are Triple fff and Bowmans, should be good.

Mobyduck
21-10-2012, 16:25
Got next week off work , in the pipeline so far is on wednesday a trip to London involving as alwaysThe Harp (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53779/),plus The Castle, (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23517/) The Craft Beer Co (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23311/) and The Gunmakers, (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23325/)as well as another one or two to be decided.Then on either Thursday or Friday a visit to the Le Gothique Dark Beer Festival, (http://www.legothique.co.uk/Beer_Festival.html)also involving an early visit to The Harp (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53779/) and possibly The Eagle Ale House (http://http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24447/).Friday's previously planned trip to Reading may now take place on Saturday or put back in favour to another visit to Oxford.

gillhalfpint
21-10-2012, 16:42
We will be going to the Birmingham beer festival and some Birmingham pubs this Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Next week we will be in Chertsey to go to Egham USC beer festival Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Plan is to go into London on Sunday and aim to try and get to Tap East, King William IV, Drum .. JDW, Olde Rose & Crown, Pembury Tavern, Cock Tavern, Clapton Hart & Bell.

Monday we move on to Cheltenham to have the caravan serviced on the Tuesday, and while it is there we will check out some pubs.

There are loads of pubs there with no reviews, but Ray will have to tow the caravan back to the site after it's service so we are just aiming for Jolly Brewmaster, Kemble Brewery Inn, Royal Union Bar & Grill, and the Strand from the Good Beer Guide as I won't be able to drink a lot on my own.

Pubsignman
21-10-2012, 17:09
I'm off to Nottingham for a couple of days on Tuesday. Looking to tick off a few of the better pubs that I've not yet made it to (Hand and Heart, Lincolnshire Poacher, Organ Grinder) and also hope to check out the Navigation Brewery at the Trent Navigation. If I've got time, I'll head to Beeston as well for the Crown and Victoria. A handsome victory over Notts County would be a bonus.

I've got a free weekend on 3rd Nov and was hoping the FA Cup 1st round draw would present me with an interesting away day, but we got an uninspiring home tie against Dagenham, so I'll try and organise a crawl somewhere instead.

Al 10000
21-10-2012, 18:38
I'm off to Nottingham for a couple of days on Tuesday. Looking to tick off a few of the better pubs that I've not yet made it to (Hand and Heart, Lincolnshire Poacher, Organ Grinder) and also hope to check out the Navigation Brewery at the Trent Navigation. If I've got time, I'll head to Beeston as well for the Crown and Victoria. A handsome victory over Notts County would be a bonus.

I've got a free weekend on 3rd Nov and was hoping the FA Cup 1st round draw would present me with an interesting away day, but we got an uninspiring home tie against Dagenham, so I'll try and organise a crawl somewhere instead.

When in Beeston the Hop Pole and The Bar are worth a try,i have reviewed the Bar very recently.

Trent Navigation is well worth a go,i was in there before Notts County played Portsmouth and both sets of fans seemed to mix well.

From the Trent Navigation it is worth a shortish walk or quick bus ride into West Bridgeford (central avenue) the Test Match just past the main shopping area is well worth a go fantastic interia and a good choice of beers,then walk back past shops towards cricket ground the Monkey Tree will have some good beers on and just round the corner is the Stratford haven a Castle Rock house that is beer heaven.
If you then walk past the cricket ground there is the Trent Bridge Inn a Spoons house that is better than most,after that a very short walk takes you to the Southbank bar it is a sports bar but there is usually a decent local beer on,i really like this place,then a
When in Beeston the Hop Pole and The Bar are worth a try,i have reviewed the Bar very recently.

Trent Navigation is well worth a go,i was in there before Notts County played Portsmouth and both sets of fans seemed to mix well.

From the Trent Navigation it is worth a shortish walk or quick bus ride into West Bridgeford (central avenue) the Test Match just past the main shopping area is well worth a go fantastic interia and a good choice of beers,then walk back past shops towards cricket ground the Monkey Tree will have some good beers on and just round the corner is the Stratford haven a Castle Rock house that is beer heaven.
If you then walk past the cricket ground there is the Trent Bridge Inn a Spoons house that is better than most,after that a very short walk takes you to the Southbank bar it is a sports bar but there is usually a decent local beer on,i really like this place,then a quixk walk over trent bridge and you are within sight of Notts countys ground and the Trent Navigation.

Test Match: gordon road GK house but usually lots of local beers on,great interia
Monkey Tree:central avenue Modern but usually 3 decent beers on
Stratford Haven: just off central avenue Castle Rock loads of beers well worth a go
TBI:east side of trent bridge Spoons good choice of beers
Southbank Bar:next to trent bridge 3 beers usually 2 locals
Trent Navigation:Home brewery with most of their beers plus some guests

All of my reviews for these pubs stand and it is only around a 15 minute walk from the Test Match to the Trent Navigation

Pubsignman
21-10-2012, 21:29
Thanks for the recommendations Al. I have got the Test Match, Stratford Haven and Southbank Bar on my long-list, but I was thinking of saving West Bridgford for a separate crawl, maybe next season, as there are still a lot of pubs in the town centre that I want to try out. I'll definately give the Trent Navigation a try though, as it's so close to Meadow Lane. Was hoping to visit the Globe as well, but I see that it has closed.

A colleague of mine recommended a place called 'Hotel Deux', which he said is walkable from the Lincolnshire Poacher and good for real ale and live music. It's not on this site, so I don't know if it's still going. Any ideas?

Quinno
22-10-2012, 12:03
Off to Deacon Blue at the Roundhouse in a bit. Taken the afternoon off so will pick up a couple of new places on the way. Aiming to grab pics for places I forgot to do first time round so I can have a complete 'set' of colourful little icons for my London pubs (sad, eh?).

Definite new visit will be Tapping The Admiral (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/72375/) and maybe BrewDog (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/70690/)

trainman
22-10-2012, 13:40
I'm off to Nottingham for a couple of days on Tuesday. .

With a lot of jumping around it may be prudent to invest in a day-rover 'Kangaroo' ticket - £4. Covers you for train, tram & bus.

We're going next month and I plan jokers in Vic & Crown (Beeston), then was wondering how to whittle down others on the list when it was suggested that a Brewery Tap tour may be a different approach. A local pal suggested...

The Plough, Radford – Nottingham Brewery.
The Vat & Fiddle – Castle Rock Brewery.
The Trent Navigation - Navigation Brewery (Also good for other local brews).
The Organ Grinder – Blue Monkey Brewery.
The Fox & Crown Basford – Alcazar Brewery (never been here, you could get one up on me, easy access by tram from city centre).
The Roundhouse – Magpie Brewery (not actually a tap but good place to sample local brews).

Only the Basford pub would be a new tick for me, so that's deffo in! I thought Magpie did have a tap, virtually under County's ground?

Al 10000
22-10-2012, 15:07
A colleague of mine recommended a place called 'Hotel Deux', which he said is walkable from the Lincolnshire Poacher and good for real ale and live music. It's not on this site, so I don't know if it's still going. Any ideas?

Hotel Deux is still up and running but it has funny opening hours,it opens at 5 Mon-Fri and 6 Sat and Sun

It is about a 10 minute walk from the Poacher,carry on up mansfield road then go downhill with the forest of your left,when you get to the traffic islands turn left then head up sherwood rise it is on the first right turn,it is a former hotel and not really my sort of pub so i have not been in there yet but it does have locales on.

trainman
01-06-2013, 07:56
This thread has fallen by the wayside somewhat.
Stockport day-trip 08Jun, Shrewsbury weekender 22Jun, incl the mighty Bhurtpore, at last!

Bucking Fastard
01-06-2013, 18:28
incl the mighty Bhurtpore, at last!

I hope to visit there in September,it's not too far from the Llangollen Canal at Wrenbury......although it may be a longer stagger back :nishelypished:

Oggwyn Trench
01-06-2013, 19:27
This thread has fallen by the wayside somewhat.
Stockport day-trip 08Jun, Shrewsbury weekender 22Jun, incl the mighty Bhurtpore, at last!

Bhurtpore is a very good pub , when you do Shrewsbury dont forget The Woodman Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32274/) most people tend to miss it off a tour round but it is one of Salops hidden gems