PDA

View Full Version : New technology in Real Ale

Conrad
16-03-2010, 15:06
Just reading Pete Brown's Beer Blog about a new cask technology (http://petebrown.blogspot.com/2010/03/exclusive-martsons-redefines-cask-ale.html) and was wondering, would you drink it?

I'm just holding out for the Real Ale Pepsi challenge now :)

Farway
16-03-2010, 15:36
Just reading Pete Brown's Beer Blog about a new cask technology (http://petebrown.blogspot.com/2010/03/exclusive-martsons-redefines-cask-ale.html) and was wondering, would you drink it?

Well I would, especially today, my local ran out of 6X on Friday [forgot to order it], new one delivered yesterday, but still settling and not available today lunchtime, so to me, assuming it tastes OK, then why not?

Should add I will drink most anything alcoholic, and used to do home brew, so not exactly a picky drinker or real ale buff savouring a half pint and taking notes :whistle:

Maldenman
16-03-2010, 16:31
Assuming the beer is still made with the traditional core ingredients andisn't artificially preserved with gas or some additive, then it is probably still within the definitions of cask conditioned ale and real ale. The ultimate test of course would be in the tasting. I certainly wouldn't dismiss the idea out of hand.

If it does take off it would be most useful in those pubs where beers go off but they haven't anything else ready to serve, hence the "Coming Soon" clips.

Wittenden
16-03-2010, 19:28
As a lapsed Camra man I can confess to enjoying the odd pint of racked Sheps at events in the village hall.For me, it's the addition of extraneuos CO2 that ruins a good beer, rather than whether it's got yeast or not, though generally I prefer it with the yeast, so Marston's idea seems to have got legs.

Oggwyn Trench
16-03-2010, 19:50
Not sure about it , though the one good thing about it for me is less yeast in the beer as i have a minor yeast allegy so waking up after a session without my sinuses trying to explode through my eyeballs would make a change

rpadam
16-03-2010, 23:49
As a lapsed Camra man I can confess to enjoying the odd pint of racked Sheps at events in the village hall.For me, it's the addition of extraneuos CO2 that ruins a good beer, rather than whether it's got yeast or not, though generally I prefer it with the yeast, so Marston's idea seems to have got legs.
I'll support that - that 'bright' Master Brew you get from the Sheps trailer at Kent cricket matches (or in barrels racked on the table at village hall events hereabouts) is a great beer - in fact, rather better than the 'proper' cask version...

Alesonly
17-03-2010, 01:17
Has everone forgot its 1st april soon. I think this one got out early. :)

P/s The news story about beer inovation sounded like it may be a Aprill fools joke too me afer Id had a few Beers.

rpadam
17-03-2010, 19:41
Has everone forgot its 1st april soon. I think this one got out early. :)
In case it wasn't clear, I was only talking about the Sheps and not beer in general!

arwkrite
18-03-2010, 20:54
Had a long think over this one. I am no biologist but GM seeds scare me, its messing around with nature and we are not clever enough to see its effect in the future. If successful how long before the big chains call the shots and start demanding this beer that, apparently any " Mac Donald " two week trainee can handle, in preference to what we know as traditional ale. Less storage time ,wastage, quicker " just in time " delivery and ordering.
I doubt if Marstons are spending significant sums of money without having checked there is a market for it first. Lets face it most people who order a pint are none to fussy over what it is they are getting. If it smells, looks , tastes and costs alright for all they care it could have been shipped in a super tanker from Taiwan. I am not against inovation but unhappy about messing around with the natural products in ale.

Arwkrite.....the one with three heads, one eye, six legs and four and a half arms. He is also a lurid green colour.

Conrad
18-03-2010, 22:36
Thanks for that Ark, actually a really interesting reply. It put words to something I kind of intuitively feel about it.

I still want a free taste test though ;)

Oggwyn Trench
21-03-2010, 10:13
On a slightly different tack the Reopened Fighting Cocks in Oakengates has a state of the art cooling system , as well has the normal cellar cooler each of the 10 handpulls has its own cooler so each pull can be individualy set to a temprature to suit the beer .

rpadam
21-03-2010, 10:36
Some more thoughts from another blogger on this interesting topic:

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1801-Pencil-amp-Spoon-The-Hop-Press-A-Fast-Cask

Eddie86
22-03-2010, 09:04
On a slightly different tack the Reopened Fighting Cocks in Oakengates has a state of the art cooling system , as well has the normal cellar cooler each of the 10 handpulls has its own cooler so each pull can be individualy set to a temprature to suit the beer .

I'm supposed to have that, but I think they cocked up the install a little grrr

aleandhearty
25-03-2010, 11:21
.... a state of the art cooling system , as well has the normal cellar cooler each of the 10 handpulls has its own cooler so each pull can be individualy set to a temprature to suit the beer .

I wish someone would let Sam Smith's know about this technology.

Oggwyn Trench
25-03-2010, 20:03
I wish someone would let Sam Smith's know about this technology.

Already got it , just set to -50

aleandhearty
25-03-2010, 20:16
Already got it , just set to -50

:D Many a true word said in jest Oggy.

Conrad
11-05-2010, 16:44
Sorry been meaning to post this for a couple of days Ed has tried this out now including the Pepsi challenge. Sounds like it is good but he has doubts about the tradition.

Student Brewer Fast Cask pt1 (http://studentbrewer.blogspot.com/2010/05/fast-cask-part-1.html)
Student Brewer Fast Cask pt2 (http://studentbrewer.blogspot.com/2010/05/marstons-fast-cask-part-2.html)