PDA

View Full Version : Wetherspoons Beer frestival

RogerB
15-03-2010, 13:30
'Spoons have announced the ales for the next festival 7th - 25th April

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/static/pdfs/beer-festival-ales.pdf

There's only 2 that I have knowingly had before. I will of course be taking on the usual challenge of trying a pint of all 50 (+ the Festival Cider) over the coming weeks. Not sure I like the sound of Hawaiian Coconut Porter though.

And yes I know I have done a typo in the heading - the news was too exciting so I rushed through it!

Millay
15-03-2010, 14:02
Well I suppose it had to be you or me that started the thread Roger :p

I am definitely not going all out to find all 50 this time. Last festival, sorry frestival, I got a bit obsessed and I still haven't really recovered from finishing on 49. That Spinning Dog Brass in Pocket will haunt me forever :mad:

RogerB
15-03-2010, 14:10
Well I suppose it had to be you or me that started the thread Roger :p

Actually I'm surprised that Hoppy wasn't first up with the breaking news.

Millay
15-03-2010, 14:18

He'll be most upset :p

Interesting to see Daleside with the weakest beer, I'm sure last time they had the strongest one, excluding the Carolus.

hopwas
15-03-2010, 14:53

Actually I knew about this two weeks ago and somehow I forget to post on here!!!

I bow to you, Roger...

aleandhearty
15-03-2010, 15:09
Not sure I like the sound of Hawaiian Coconut Porter though.

If you could find a chocolate stout to go with it, alternate sips would probably be similar to drinking a Bounty Bar!:)

RogerB
15-03-2010, 15:30
If you could find a chocolate stout to go with it, alternate sips would probably be similar to drinking a Bounty Bar!:)

I feel sick. :sick::sick::sick::sick:

trainman
15-03-2010, 17:20
Well, I have to say, even without seeing tasting notes the list looks (for some reason) more promising than the last one. I think.
And those dates were to be followed by Crosse Keys 'Superfest3' - 50 more in that outlet alone, but I've lost the e-mail now.

hopwas
16-03-2010, 09:44
Not sure I like the sound of Hawaiian Coconut Porter though.

Ooooooo... I rather like sound of it. I am big fan of coconut (no no not that "2 Coconuts") and I do drink Bounty's coconut flavoured milk. So I am looking forward to it.

RogerB
16-03-2010, 09:55
Ooooooo... I rather like sound of it. I am big fan of coconut (no no not that "2 Coconuts") and I do drink Bounty's coconut flavoured milk. So I am looking forward to it.

I will be half expecting a few pineapple chunks floating on the surface.

hopwas
16-03-2010, 10:04
I will be half expecting a few pineapple chunks floating on the surface.

Funny thing you mentioned it, ASDA are selling Jamaican Coconut drink with few pineapple chucks floating. Very refreshing I must say.

Alesonly
16-03-2010, 10:13
I see the Price Is Is already advertised as only £1.85 a pint for all Festaval Ales At the Three diferent Wetherspoons I went in yesterday. :glass:

aleandhearty
16-03-2010, 10:25
Funny thing you mentioned it, ASDA are selling Jamaican Coconut drink with few pineapple chucks floating. Very refreshing I must say.
Typo or Freudian Slip, Hoppy? I think 'chucks' is the word, as in upwards. :)

hopwas
16-03-2010, 10:46
Typo or Freudian Slip, Hoppy? I think 'chucks' is the word, as in upwards. :)

Arrrrgggghhh!! I do type very fast and somehow typed C instead of N!

Alesonly
16-03-2010, 18:23
Seems rather apt that I'm sitting in the Tally Ho Spoons at North Finchley Having a Had a Pint of Funnel Blower & 2 Pints of Okalls Aile Whilst reading this thread.:D

RogerB
23-03-2010, 12:14
We are having a mini 'Spoons festival this week among the 5 local outlets. Each pub will be showcasing a local brewer...

Paper Moon, Dartford - Whitstable Brewery
Flying Boat, Darford - Big Tree Cider Company
Furze Wren, Bexleyheath - Shepherd Neame
Wrong 'Un, Bexleyheath - Westerham Brewery
New Cross Turnpike, Welling - Nelson

Tomorrow is the centrepiece - a Route 96 crawl (the 96 bus links all 5 pubs) where each pub will be putting on a meet the brewer session throughout the afternoon and evening. Thanks to our FA Cup Replay I can't do it but I'll be trying a few out a few ales and ciders in Dartford tonight before & after the Darts v Margate match.

aleandhearty
24-03-2010, 20:19
We are having a mini 'Spoons festival this week among the 5 local outlets. Each pub will be showcasing a local brewer...Paper Moon, Dartford - Whitstable Brewery

Must admit I'm rather partial to their East India Pale Ale. :drinkup:

RogerB
25-03-2010, 09:02

It was a bit disappointing - they only had the Oyster Stout and Winkle Picker available. I assume they have others to put on as the week goes on but I won't get a chance to check for any more until tomorrow. They did have the Hopdaeman Incubus on again though (my BotW a couple of weeks ago) and Hogs Back Spring Ale that I had not sampled before.

ROBCamra
25-03-2010, 14:53
I see the Price Is Is already advertised as only £1.85 a pint for all Festaval Ales At the Three diferent Wetherspoons I went in yesterday. :glass:

The banner has just gone up at our local JDW, £1.65 a pint. :drinkup:

Wittenden
25-03-2010, 19:15

I must confess that I've never had any of their beers, despite the brewery being not far from here. I did like Swale Brewery's East india pale Ale, which I think was a direct ancestor of Whitstable's.

RogerB
31-03-2010, 13:00
The Festival programme is now on-line...

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/promotions/real-ale-festival/real-ale-festival-2010.pdf

hopwas
31-03-2010, 13:24
The Festival programme is now on-line...

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/promotions/real-ale-festival/real-ale-festival-2010.pdf

Thanks for heads up, Roger! :cheers:

42. Maui Coconut Porter 5% looks very tasty...:drinkup:

I was very delighted to see one of my favourite brewers.. Titanic is on list. 44. Titanic Tomahawk 5%. New beer from Titanic.

There is another festival coming to JDW.. Mild festival in May featuring Milds from 3% to 5%.

aleandhearty
31-03-2010, 15:22
Someone mentioned the other day that this festival's list looks much stronger than the last one and I have to agree. The top ten I'll be looking out for are:
3. Fremlins Bitter
5. Jennings Stickle Pike
8. Allgates Brigantia
9. Morrells Oxford Blue
22. Thwaites Summat Special
29.Mauldons Thomas' Tipple
34. Roosters Patriot
38. Oakham Rollercoaster
39. Saltaire Bulldog Brown Ale
44. Titanic Tomahawk.

Of course what they sound like on paper and what they actually taste like are two different things completely! But hey, that's half the fun of 'spoons festivals. :)

Wittenden
31-03-2010, 15:35
Someone mentioned the other day that this festival's list looks much stronger than the last one and I have to agree. The top ten I'll be looking out for are:
3. Fremlins Bitter
5. Jennings Stickle Pike
8. Allgates Brigantia
9. Morrells Oxford Blue
22. Thwaites Summat Special
29.Mauldons Thomas' Tipple
34. Roosters Patriot
38. Oakham Rollercoaster
39. Saltaire Bulldog Brown Ale
44. Titanic Tomahawk.

Of course what they sound like on paper and what they actually taste like are two different things completely! But hey, that's half the fun of 'spoons festivals. :)

Now Fremlins, that I'd love to see. It couldn't be worse than the appology Twitbread churned out at Cheltenham before they finally killed it off.Mind you, Sheps and Frem were always very different beers, despite coming from opposite sides of the street.

HTM69
01-04-2010, 08:07
Well, I Can tick Daleside Spring Frenzy of the list already. I sampled a pint of this watery gunk the night-before-last in the George V, Brompton.

ROBCamra
01-04-2010, 12:24
Well, I Can tick Daleside Spring Frenzy of the list already. I sampled a pint of this watery gunk the night-before-last in the George V, Brompton.

It musn't travel very well then, or it wasn't very well kept.

The 2 pints I had last week in The Baum were pleasant and hoppy.

HTM69
01-04-2010, 17:08
It musn't travel very well then, or it wasn't very well kept.

Well, the condition seemed OK to me - it's just that I found it to be a little too watery for my palate. Initialy, I thought it could've been around the 2% mark. It just lacked flavour. I'll sample it again if I come across it in a JDW outlet.

RogerB
04-04-2010, 23:47
An early start for me - 3 Festival ales already up for grabs in the Paper Moon, Dartford. No's 2, 21 & 45 already ticked with the St Peters Old Style Porter being the pick so far. Just 47 to go.

Millay
05-04-2010, 00:15
An early start for me - 3 Festival ales already up for grabs in the Paper Moon, Dartford. No's 2, 21 & 45 already ticked with the St Peters Old Style Porter being the pick so far. Just 47 to go.

I'm not sure that's allowed Roger, I'll have to go back and check the rules :p

Visited a couple of Spoons on Saturday and remember seeing a Nethergate beer although I don't think it was the festival one.

RogerB
06-04-2010, 23:37
Sod the rules! Clocked up another 3 tonight including the Fremlins - very good for such a weak beer - none of that watery blandness that you normally get with 3.5%'ers. Thwaites Summat Special also pretty good as was the Herold Black Chalice. The Festival Cider (Thatchers Old Rascal) was also on but not sampled it yet. 6 down and I can quite positively say they are a vast improvement so far on the last fest!

an_ecumenical_matter
07-04-2010, 00:46
9 on tonight in the rancid Commercial Rooms Bristol................

Evil Gazebo
07-04-2010, 01:04
in the rancid Commercial Rooms Bristol...

I've told you not to go there, man...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:3JIkyqMS5O2-pM:http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/68513/rancid-skull-black-danger.jpg

9 beers or not...

Grailhunter
07-04-2010, 14:52
Had a couple today with Millay in the Hamilton Hall at Liverpool St. Very disappointing as they only had four festival ales on. We both agreed that the Batemans Hedgerows elderflower ale was decidely average. It tasted of, well, not a lot really.
The Oakham Rollercoaster was quite good though.
Also, for some obscure reason festival programmes were kept 'under the counter' and only offered to us fairly grudgingly. Not a brilliant start. Things can only get better !!

trainman
07-04-2010, 15:20
Had a couple today with Millay in the Hamilton Hall at Liverpool St. Very disappointing
Surprised you didn't wander down to Crosse Keys, even if you were off for a train afterwards...

When I was last in HH, I got change from a tenner but was sure I'd handed over £20. Waited quite a while for a till check (was convinced they were hoping I'd get bored & just leave) and the result was some garble about a differential of .057 which translated as them saying I was wrong. What else can you do?

Grailhunter
07-04-2010, 15:24
Surprised you didn't wander down to Crosse Keys, even if you were off for a train afterwards...

Unfortunately we didn't have time to get to the Crosse keys because we had to get back to work. Another punter in the HH told us they had 24 ales on. D'oh !

gillhalfpint
07-04-2010, 19:50
Got into a couple of Birmingham JDW's.

Briar Rose had 12....35......38....45....48....50 on we got there, but 50 ran out as she tried to serve me.

Square Peg had ...2...4...5...38...40...45...46............coming soon...37...plus another, forgot which one.

Enjoyed the St Peters Porter.

Millay
07-04-2010, 22:11

Unfortunately we didn't have time to get to the Crosse keys because we had to get back to work. Another punter in the HH told us they had 24 ales on. D'oh !

I have to admit to a sans-Grailhunter visit to the Crosse Keys after work with a couple of lager drinking mates, one of whom I managed to convert for the evening. Pints of Trashy Blonde and by default (the order by number system failed us) the Herold Black Chalice were followed by halves of Goose Island Honkers, Elgood’s Hawkwind, Oakham Rollercoaster, and the Maui Coconut Porter (must try that one again). So with those tried lunchtime I’ve ticked off nine so far.

trainman
07-04-2010, 23:03
I’ve ticked off nine so far.

Ahaa - wondered about the new avatar on a different thread, but its secret is out now. A short-lived digit, methinks...

Millay
08-04-2010, 06:56
Ahaa - wondered about the new avatar on a different thread, but its secret is out now. A short-lived digit, methinks...
It's possible it might change this evening ;) Although I am definitely, absolutely not going to get competitive, obsessed or paranoid about the numbers this time.

Quality not quantity is the key and after drinking so many rubbish beers last time in the 'Race to 50' I'm not going to make the same mistake again. The Oakham Rollercoaster and the Coconut Porter are the only ones that make me want to return to them so far, but early days.

RogerB
08-04-2010, 08:49
I will be popping into the Sidcup 'Spoons tonight to get a few beers in before the Bexley Beer Festival. Well you wouldn't want to do a beer festival without having something to line the stomach.:eek:

hopwas
08-04-2010, 10:43
Has anyone been to Babington Arms, Derby? I bet it will be at least 10 ales listed in beer festival.

ROBCamra
08-04-2010, 12:03
Has anyone been to Babington Arms, Derby? I bet it will be at least 10 ales listed in beer festival.

Many times Hoppy, many times.

It's always a beer festival in there so how can you tell? :p

hopwas
08-04-2010, 13:33
Many times Hoppy, many times.

It's always a beer festival in there so how can you tell? :p

:D It used be my local JDW many years ago when I lived in Derby.

What I meant is do they stock 10+ ales that are listed in current JDW festival.

RogerB
08-04-2010, 13:41
:D It used be my local JDW many years ago when I lived in Derby.

What I meant is do they stock 10+ ales that are listed in current JDW festival.

They're probably holdng a special festival showcasing Ruddles County and Abbott as no-one ever probably drinks the stuff in there.

hopwas
08-04-2010, 22:31
Woooooo!! Bar manager at Bole Bridge told me that "Coconut" ale will be selling from 9am tomorrow night.

I am very lucky person because I am sleeping at my sister's house which is only couple of hundred yards from Bole Bridge!

Early start for me I think... :cheers::whistle:

Millay
08-04-2010, 22:36
Woooooo!! Bar manager at Bole Bridge told me that "Coconut" ale will be selling from 9am tomorrow night.

That's pretty good stuff, only had a half so far but will certainly try more when I see it again.

Millay
08-04-2010, 22:39
The Hamilton Hall was a bit rubbish again lunchtime, a couple of weak beers from yesterday and the rest was 4.8% plus, not good for a lunchtime session. Had a pint of the Abbaye Blonde which was quite nice and revisited the Czech Black Chalice. Evening at the Cross Keys I found another of the international beers the Budelse Capucijn plus Summat Special and Over a Barrel.

I usually try to avoid City pubs on a Friday so may save myself for a run at it over the weekend.

RogerB
09-04-2010, 09:03
Nothing can be as rubbish as the Tailors Chalk in Sidcup last night. Not a single Festival Beer on. To add injury to insult the service was rubbish so I walked out sans curry and went in McDonalds! Had to console myself with 20 "samples" at the Bexley Beer Festival after which everything was calm and bright with lovely fluffy clouds.

Maldenman
09-04-2010, 09:22
Six festival ales on last night at The Edward Rayne, 2,3,27,33,35 and 44. I agree with RB about the Fremlins, quite full flavoured and satisfying for a 3.5%er. Very busy though being curry night too, not a table to be had.

an_ecumenical_matter
09-04-2010, 15:09
Currently in McSpoons Abergavenny(or Aggerbavenny as the Bristolians on the way to the market call it!) and I must say the Coconut Porter is excellent!

hopwas
09-04-2010, 19:59
Well.. well..

I tried Coconut porter at Bole Bridge and I have to say it was quite disappointing. It tasted more like coffee porter than Coconut. I don't know if it was off day for coconut porter but I couldn't taste coconut which is really shame.

Other ale I tried is Bateman's (I can't remember the name of ale) which is Elderflower flavoured, it tasted bloody awful! Smelled like urine!

gillhalfpint
09-04-2010, 22:48
Square Peg had available soon on every beer on the first banking of pumps including Abbot. Couldn't help laughing at that one.

Managed a couple of the foreigners, Zululand Zulu Blonde, and Budelse Capucijn plus Brains Honest Ale.

Loved the Budelse one.

RogerB
09-04-2010, 23:12
Had a night in to give my liver a rest. Should be hitting Kingston 'Spoons tomorrow morning when the Dartford promotion party hits town and I can get a few more ticked off.

Millay
10-04-2010, 07:49
Well.. well..

I tried Coconut porter at Bole Bridge and I have to say it was quite disappointing. It tasted more like coffee porter than Coconut. I don't know if it was off day for coconut porter but I couldn't taste coconut which is really shame.

Other ale I tried is Bateman's (I can't remember the name of ale) which is Elderflower flavoured, it tasted bloody awful! Smelled like urine!

If you like dark beers Hoppy try the Czech Black Chalice, I found that it had much more flavour than the coconut porter.

I agree about the Batemans one (Waynflete Hedgerows), it had no taste at all. The programme says it was last brewed in 1996, I can see why.

Managed a couple of the foreigners, Zululand Zulu Blonde, and Budelse Capucijn plus Brains Honest Ale.

Loved the Budelse one.

I liked the Budelse as well, full of flavour. I usually try to tick off the International beers early, on the basis that they'll be popular and may be a bit more elusive towards the end of the festival. The only one I have left to try is the Zulu Blond.

RogerB
10-04-2010, 08:35
The programme says it was last brewed in 1996, I can see why.

There seems to be quite a few beers in this festival that have been resurrected from the dead.

Millay
10-04-2010, 08:42
There seems to be quite a few beers in this festival that have been resurrected from the dead.

We live in a retro society, look out for Trophy Bitter and Watney's Red Barrel next :eek:

RogerB
10-04-2010, 08:48
We live in a retro society, look out for Trophy Bitter and Watney's Red Barrel next :eek:

I am still waiting for the great Worthington E comeback!

Millay
10-04-2010, 08:51

You can get E's most places these days Roger but I'm not sure they are from Worthingtons ;)

RogerB
10-04-2010, 09:20
There are still a few places that do Double Diamond - there's one in Dartford and I recall a couple of pubs in Aveley, Essex still knocking it out (I believe it is now imported from somewhere). Still tastes crap though. Maybe we can start a campaign for a retro keg festival.:sick:

gillhalfpint
10-04-2010, 09:44
The Zulu Blond one we had didn't impress as it was served far too cold and that would kill some of the flavour. Don't know why but it was colder than the other 2 beers we had that day. Almost needed gloves to hold the glass!

Oggwyn Trench
10-04-2010, 09:57
I agree about the Batemans one (Waynflete Hedgerows), it had no taste at all. The programme says it was last brewed in 1996, I can see why.

This is classed as just in sell by date by JDW

hopwas
10-04-2010, 09:57

I can recall seeing Wortington E on pull at Coor's museum in Burton Upon Trent along with rare Worthington Shield.

Sadly Museum is no longer open.

hopwas
10-04-2010, 10:00
The Zulu Blond one we had didn't impress as it was served far too cold and that would kill some of the flavour. Don't know why but it was colder than the other 2 beers we had that day. Almost needed gloves to hold the glass!

Hmm I tried it couple of days ago and it wasn't cold, just cold enough to drink it. Zulu Blond is rather nice and quite silky. I enjoyed it.

I am off to Bole Bridge and Silk Kite later to check out new arrivals before heading to Tamworth Vs Luton in the afternoon.

Oggwyn Trench
10-04-2010, 10:01
Cask Worthington E wasnt a bad pint , then again there wasnt a lot of choice back then.

For the Keg revival can i nomonate M&B Springfield Bitter and Bass Special

hopwas
10-04-2010, 10:09
Cask Worthington E wasnt a bad pint , then again there wasnt a lot of choice back then.

For the Keg revival can i nomonate M&B Springfield Bitter and Bass Special

:confused:

Springfield Bitter and Bass Special? Wow.. Didn't even knew they produced them. Long before my time I guess.. :o

P.S my 1.000th post! :cheers:

Maldenman
10-04-2010, 10:12
I sampled the Sharp's Gentle Jane yesterday which is described as "naturally hazy" Mine was as clear as daylight, but it tasted pretty good. The clarity had me wondering if it was the right beer however. Another light coloured beer, the Davenports Beer Hunter is my best festival pint yet.

hopwas
10-04-2010, 10:17
I sampled the Sharp's Gentle Jane yesterday which is described as "naturally hazy" Mine was as clear as daylight, but it tasted pretty good. The clarity had me wondering if it was the right beer however. Another light coloured beer, the Davenports Beer Hunter is my best festival pint yet.

Sharp's Gentle Jane was the first pint I had last wednesday, in leaflet it described as "Lemon Bubblegum with hint of spices" and my first thought after tasting was "bloody hell bit too much for my delicate palate" Not best ale I had but not the worst.

Alesonly
10-04-2010, 11:07
At long last I had my first Pints in the Wetherspoons Beer Fest yesterday. Sadly Ive been on Duty working last 14 days so could not have a Beer until yesterday.:moremad: Made up for it yesterday tried the following in several Wetherspoons.

Brewdog Trashy Blonde
Phoenix Black Shadow
Everards Flourish
Zululand Zulu Blonde
Okells Alt
Titanic Tomahawk
Hydes Over The Barrel
Hawkwind Lakeland Lager

Don't forget Its Mild in May Month next month And Wetherspoons are getting several Milds. Also other Good Pubs will be supporting The CAMRA wild For mild In may so there should be some good milds on.:)

gillhalfpint
10-04-2010, 14:36
Thwaites Summat Special, Elgoods Hawkwind and Maui Coconut Porter tried at the Pear Tree in Kings Heath.

The porter was indeed a robust porter full of flavour.

ROBCamra
10-04-2010, 14:44
Well I got off the mark last night and had just the one festival beer, Everards Flourish. Must try harder tonight!

Oggwyn Trench
10-04-2010, 18:23
Well I got off the mark last night and had just the one festival beer, Everards Flourish. Must try harder tonight!

Tried an Everards Flourish in The Haygate , Wellington last week , it was OK and only £2 a pint

oldboots
10-04-2010, 20:10
I can recall seeing Wortington E on pull at Coor's museum in Burton Upon Trent along with rare Worthington Shield.

Sadly Museum is no longer open.

now saved for the Nation and reopened, there's even a motion before the CAMRA AGM (8) welcoming this and asking us all to go as often as possible. Don't know what beer it sells now.

hopwas
10-04-2010, 21:10
now saved for the Nation and reopened, there's even a motion before the CAMRA AGM (8) welcoming this and asking us all to go as often as possible. Don't know what beer it sells now.

:eek:

Is that so? Great news! I have visited Coor's museum twice in the past. Loved their Worthington Shield.

RogerB
11-04-2010, 07:43
Was in Kingston 'Spoons yesterday and not a single Festival Beer on. Several guest beers labelled as such but none actually part of the festival. That's 2 'Spoons I've been to since the festival started and not a single beer! :moremad:

Millay
11-04-2010, 08:28
Several guest beers labelled as such but none actually part of the festival.

I've found that as well, beers badged as festival beers that are not in the official programme.

Millay
11-04-2010, 08:41
Found a few new ones yesterday and particularly like the Young Tom and the Zulu Blond, which had a smooth sweet toffee flavour. Didn’t like the St Peters Porter at first, it seemed too thin for a porter but it grew on me as the flavours came through and I quite liked in by the end of the pint.

The Gentle Jane was crisp & fruity, and mine was also clear and not hazy as someone else mentioned in an earlier post. The Farmers Glory and the Jennings Stickle Pike I found a bit bland and the Cally Old Seadog didn’t have a great deal of flavour. The Moorhouse’s Amber Rambler had a sort of malt whisky aftertaste a bit like the Innis & Gunn beer but not so pronounced.

RogerB
13-04-2010, 09:29
On the way to a James gig in Southend yesterday and we accidently found a 'Spoons in nearby Leigh On Sea with a handy car park so pulled in for quick couple. 18 hand pumps that included 7 Festival Beers! Didn't have much time but secured the Dutch & Belgian offerings. The Budelse Capucijn I think is my festival fave so far - very drinkable for 6%, in fact I polished it off within 10 minutes. The Val-Dieu Abbaye Blonde wasn't bad but Holland definately wins the battle of the low country beers.

gillhalfpint
13-04-2010, 09:54
Our trip round Birmingham yesterday did not get so many new beers.

Square Peg Hook Norton Early Mist, and repeats of Robinsons Young Tom - lovely, Theakstons Grouse Beater, and Tripple FFF Rock Lobster.

Dog and Blanket - oops must stop calling it that. Library one, Otter Mild was new and we had the Maui again. It is really a robust porter with strong coffee taste rather than the coconut that I was looking forward to, but seemed to pick up a vanillary taste - maybe that was coconut influence.

Figure of 8 only had Weltons Hawthorn with ginger that doesn't taste gingery.

Solomon Cutler - passed.

Briar Rose Shepherd Neame Dambusters and Titanic Tomahawk. Someone was told at a pub that the Tomahawk is R.I.P.A tweaked.for Wetherspoons so not really an exclusive, and although it didn't taste off, it was a bit cloudy.

RogerB
13-04-2010, 10:15
I had a pint of Young Tom in the Willow Walk, Victoria on Saturday and it was absolutely awful. I was convinced it was the pub rather than the beer as I have always liked Robionson's beers and this was decidedly off even though it looked fine. Gill's comments seem to back up my thoughts. Will probably have to try it again if I see it.

Next stop will be the Village Inn at Rayners Lane tonight ahead of the rearranged but now meaningless Harrow Borough v Dartford match.

Millay
13-04-2010, 22:16
A bit of catching up to do with the reports,

Brains Honest Ale is a good session beer that I’ve been going back to
Glad I only ordered a half of the Fremlins, I’m not a Sheps fan and didn’t like it much
Liked the GK Suffolk Springer, a bit like the Abbott Reserve but less severe.
The Hookey Early Mist was good and very drinkable
Holdens Burton Runner was pretty good
The Oxford Blue had a good fruity/hop balance
Wooden Hand’s Cornish Buccaneer seemed a bit weak and watery
Liked the Atlas Wayfarer, a refreshing hoppy beer

hopwas
14-04-2010, 10:47
Only had Exmoor's Stickle Pike at Silk Kite which is rather average and boring..

RogerB
14-04-2010, 11:45
Had a Burton Runner last night and almost did one afterwards - not good. Enjoyed the Spouse Beater, sorry Grouse Beater although the "subtle hints of Moorland Berry" tasted more like cough mixture to me. Also tried the Farmers Glory which wasn't bad. 13 down. Next batch to be consumed in the George at Wanstead tonight prior to the great THFC comeback / disaster (delete as applicable).

RogerB
15-04-2010, 11:06
It's slow progress but another 2 off the list. Thomas's Tipple didn't do much for me but the Peach Melbear was top notch. I'm a bit of a sucker for fruity ales but they are usually a bit too sickly to have more than a couple of but I think I could have a decent session on this one. Will see what the local will have tonight to wash down the curry with. The guvner told me Tuesday that the Coconut Porter should be on - I shall participate with an open mind! :pray:

aleandhearty
15-04-2010, 11:11
Still a festival virgin.:eek: Should remedy that tomorrow though.

gillhalfpint
15-04-2010, 11:48
Managed to get in the Dragonfly at Terminal 1 today. That was the only thing flying!!

We are grounded till tomorrow, so the crowd of us going to Isle of Man drowned our sorrows with Goose Island Honkers - very nice too - at 7am.

Will try again tomorrow as we are booked on 8.35am flight but CAMRA must be worrying when the drinkers will start arriving. Those going from London rebooked for tomorrow too.

Not looking forward to a second 4.15 am alarm, or lugging cases to the airport, but the Val Dieu beer will be available tomorrow, so it is not all bad news.

Gann
15-04-2010, 13:32
Will try again tomorrow as we are booked on 8.35am flight but CAMRA must be worrying when the drinkers will start arriving. .

MMh ! I don't want to be the harbinger of doom Gill , but it may not be looking pretty for tomorrow as well. We've got several work colleagues lost in action all around Europe and with the second eruption this morning, are struggling to get any connections to get them back into UK air space..

Anyway, will have my fingers crossed for you, otherwise it may be a pub crawl of the JDW's in T1,T3,T4 and T5....

gillhalfpint
15-04-2010, 14:02
Can only get into JDW Dragonfly Terminal 1 here in Birmingham. The Terminal 2 one is past security gates I was told, so if we don't fly, we don't get in there.

Dragonfly beer was fine. £2.69 a pint and we did get the Goose Island Honkers Ale. The Val-Dieu had coming soon, and I was told it would be on tomorrow so we are getting changing beers. Was packed out today, yet service prompt at the bar, and very little wait for the breakfast which was dearer but ok.

Expecting bedlam tomorrow.

Conrad
15-04-2010, 16:45
It is looking grim, likely to be continued disruption for a number of days. Not quite sure what that really means, but sounds like they may still be closed during tomorrow.

(And if I can be any more vague than that I will stand for election)

ROBCamra
15-04-2010, 17:32
Well I've now had quite a lot of the festival beers tried in the Rochdale JDW, 3 Spoons in Newcastle and one in Edinburgh and the only beer I've had that I thought was very good was the Honkers IPA. Most of the rest seem to be wishy washy tweaks of current beers.:(

RogerB
15-04-2010, 23:36
A good stint tonight with 4 newby's available locally. Finally got to the Coconut Porter - what a pile of disgusting polluted water it is! I tried. I tried very hard but I knew it wasn't going to be my thing and the first sip just overpowered me with coffeeness which was all it takes for my delicate metabolism. Couldn't spot anything coconutty about at at all. Yugggggh. The Zuluthingy, Oakham Rollercoaster and Elgoods Hawkwind were all OK but not memorable. Not sure when or where the next 'Spoons session will be and still so many to go.

Maldenman
16-04-2010, 00:28
Horses for courses I think. The Maui Porter was ok for a half, picked up the coconut flavour on the first sip, but for me really a novelty beer. Brains Honest Ale rather good, but best of the night was Triple fff Rock Lobster, a good long tasting bitter. Wooden Spoon award though for Theakston Grouse Beater, odd sweet flowery taste, just didn't do the job for myself and my co-drinker. We failed to finish halves of this.

trainman
16-04-2010, 07:26
17 on in Wibbas Down Inn yesterday, I ended up having pints of Trashy Blonde & assorted thirds on the side. The Black Shadow had character above its weight but the Night Rider, unlike its Pale cousin, punched a little lightweight for 5.2%. The 1st (pre) fest beer I had was the Titanic Tomahawk, which I thought was good, as was the Oakham Rollercoaster & Rock Lobster. The Maui Porter will divide opinion but polluted water seems a bit ott Roger? My Gentle Jane, unlike Maldenman's, was hazy as described & tasted like a wheat beer, as did the Val Dieu Abbaye Blonde.
Bit of a cheat as I'd had it before, but botf, so far, is Trashy Blonde, with Herold Black Chalice unlikely to be surpassed on the dark side of things.

RogerB
16-04-2010, 08:52
The Maui Porter will divide opinion but polluted water seems a bit ott Roger?.

Sorry but it was horrible stuff! I made sure I had it before I ordered the curry so that the Vindaloo would burn the taste of it out of my mouth. I wouldn't have another pint if I was given an all expenses trip to Hawaii to sample it in their own brewery, not that I could get a plane anywhere at the moment anyway!

Millay
16-04-2010, 10:02
Spring Chicken, Butcombe Blond and the Black Shadow have been new ones over the last couple of days. Taken a day off today an going to meet some mates in Reading so it's likely we'll hit a couple of JDW's along with the Retreat, Nags Head etc.

HTM69
16-04-2010, 10:40
OK, so far I have tried...

Hook Norton, Early Mist
Goose Island, Honkers Ale
Theakston, Grouse Beater
Zululand, Zulu Blond
Beartown, Peach Melber
Allgates, Brigantia
Brains, Honest Ale
All sampled have generally been OK, though the Peach Melber is, perhaps, an aquired taste and is very, very, sweet.

hopwas
16-04-2010, 10:56
Had 3 different ales last night in both The Bole Bridge and Silk Kite...

1) Davenports Beer Hunter: Quite light bitter and easy to drink with hints of citrus. Not too bad I think.
2) Brewdog Trashy Blonde: Bizarre name for ale! Anyway, wow... very delightful fruity bitter and I can smell mix of strawberry, blackcurrant and other fruits. I enjoyed it so much that I ordered another. Possibly BOTW for me
3) Goose Island Honker's Ale: Well what I can say about this.. I am slightly wary of foreign beers especially Yanks but this ale proved me wrong. Very rich malty flavour and fruity with good finish. One of best American ale I ever drank.

Now this morning I am suffering from hangover... :sick:

ROBCamra
16-04-2010, 11:24
Sorry but it was horrible stuff! I made sure I had it before I ordered the curry so that the Vindaloo would burn the taste of it out of my mouth. I wouldn't have another pint if I was given an all expenses trip to Hawaii to sample it in their own brewery, not that I could get a plane anywhere at the moment anyway!

I didn't think it was that bad, but it tasted more like vanilla than coconut to me.

hopwas
16-04-2010, 11:31
I didn't think it was that bad, but it tasted more like vanilla than coconut to me.

I had it last week and it tasted coffee more than anything. I am very disappointed with Maui Porter and they could do it better by stronger coconut flavour..

RogerB
16-04-2010, 12:46
The current Top 20 from the voting page...

1 HAWKSHEAD LAKELAND LAGER 5.0% ABV
2 ZULULAND ZULU BLONDE 4.5% ABV
3 OTTER MILD 3.8% ABV
4 VAL-DIEU ABBAYE BLONDE 5.5% ABV
5 EVERARDS FLOURISH 3.5% ABV
6 GOOSE ISLAND HONKER’S ALE 4.2% ABV
7 MAUI COCONUT PORTER 5.0% ABV
8 BREWDOG TRASHY BLONDE 4.1% ABV
9 FREMLINS BITTER 3.5% ABV
10 ST PETER’S OLD STYLE PORTER 5.1% ABV
11 SHARP’S GENTLE JANE 4.8% ABV
12 BUDELSE CAPUCIJN 6.0% ABV
13 CALEDONIAN OLD SEADOG IPA 5.2% ABV
14 TITANIC TOMAHAWK 5.0% ABV
15 MORRELL’S OXFORD BLUE 4.0% ABV
16 OAKHAM ROLLERCOASTER 4.8% ABV
17 GREENE KING SUFFOLK SPRINGER 5.5% ABV
18 HEROLD BLACK CHALICE 4.8% ABV
19 THEAKSTON GROUSE BEATER 4.2% ABV
20 HOOK NORTON EARLY MIST 4.3% ABV

A lager in top spot!!!!!!

Pubsignman
16-04-2010, 12:53
Highlights for me so far have been the Black Chalice and Titanic Tomahawk. Really like the Goose Island one as well.

I've not seen the Coconut Porter yet, but I've got high hopes for the St Peter's Porter which I saw was on in the George last night.

Conrad
16-04-2010, 12:56
The current Top 20 from the voting page...
You can link :)

The Poll (http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/promotions/real-ale-festival/poll) and The results (http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/promotions/real-ale-festival/poll/standings).

hopwas
16-04-2010, 13:07
A lager in top spot!!!!!!

No longer :cheers:

Zulu now occupy top spot

aleandhearty
16-04-2010, 18:05
Several guest beers labelled as such but none actually part of the festival.

I've found that as well, beers badged as festival beers that are not in the official programme.

Went to the 'Six Chimneys' Wakefield this afternoon. Of the four pumps supposedly featuring festival beers, two weren't listed. :mad: Seems to be a very common problem. (Enjoyed the Woodforde's 'Sundew' though.)

The Hookey Early Mist was good and very drinkable
Holdens Burton Runner was pretty good

Had a Burton Runner last night and almost did one afterwards - not good.

Agree with you Millay on the Early Mist. Good bitterness and very refreshing. However, definitely with Roger on the Burton Runner. An absolute stinker. Dull, one dimensional taste and zero mouth feel. Had to have a pint of the superb Acorn 'Gorlovka Stout' to cleanse the palate. :)

an_ecumenical_matter
17-04-2010, 11:12
Yes the Hook Norton Early Mist must be my top of the pops so far.

Off out today with Fat Beer Badger from the other site. Anyone in the Bristol area want to come along?? Millay can vouch for the logistical prowess I hold-today its 7 McSpoons for festival ales.

Start 1315 Knights Templar by station,then £4 bus ticket and on to branches at
Fishponds,
Staple Hill,
Kingswood,
St George,
City Centre,
and possibly Park St.

Evil Gazebo shan't approve but such is life......:p

Dave M
17-04-2010, 12:02
I was planning to head into Bristol for 2pm today anyway, so I will try to leave a little earlier and have a quick one at the Knights Templar.

Dave M
18-04-2010, 00:43
Thanks AEM, the logistics were superb :notworthy:

So much for my quick one though!

Managed to tick off:-
Flourish
Fremlins
Stickle Pike
Otter MILD (yes Soup, I had a 'MILD')
Young Tom
Trashy Blonde
Grouse Beater
Zulu Blinde
Gentle Jane
Lakeland Lager
Coconut Porter
Suffolk Springer

:cheers:

RogerB
18-04-2010, 08:40
So much for my quick one though! Managed to tick off:-
Flourish
Fremlins
Stickle Pike
Young Tom
Trashy Blonde
Grouse Beater
Zulu Blinde
Gentle Jane
Lakeland Lager
Coconut Porter
Suffolk Springer

:notworthy::notworthy:That's a good old session. I'd be proud of that lot in one night.:notworthy::notworthy:

Sorry to hear that the Zulu's eyesight has deteriorated since my last meeting with it. :D

Millay
18-04-2010, 08:51
Sorry to hear that the Zulu's eyesight has deteriorated since my last meeting with it. :D:D:D

Ticked off a few more on Friday afternoon’s Reading Crawl (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/crawl/viewcrawl.php?crawl=531) plus the following morning. Particularly liked the Allgates Brigantia which I think will be one of my festival favourites. The Saltire Brown Ale was quite good and the Peach Melbear was a good light and refreshing accompaniment to Saturday morning’s breakfast.

an_ecumenical_matter
18-04-2010, 09:33

So much for my quick one though!

Managed to tick off:-
Flourish
Fremlins
Stickle Pike
Young Tom
Trashy Blonde
Grouse Beater
Zulu Blinde
Gentle Jane
Lakeland Lager
Coconut Porter
Suffolk Springer

Yeah that was a good day in the field Dave.

Crazy scotsmen rolling around the floor and pints of vinegar,woo hoo!!!!

Rex_Rattus
18-04-2010, 10:34
:notworthy::notworthy:That's a good old session. I'd be proud of that lot in one night.:notworthy::notworthy:

Sorry to hear that the Zulu's eyesight has deteriorated since my last meeting with it. :D

Aah, but you would have been drinking pints Roger!

hopwas
18-04-2010, 11:16
I went along to Lichfield where I had a pint of Fremlins in The Acorn.. Rather average and boring (maybe it was nearly empty barrel hence the taste was bit off)

Going off topic.. Had Holden's Golden Glow in Horse and Jockey, excellent session beer and very autumny ale. Had Sharps' Best Bitter in Duke Of York, much better than Fremlin I admit. Quite full flavored and dark copper colour.

Maldenman
18-04-2010, 18:40
My recent updates, Daleside Spring Frenzy, nice light fresh tasting, pretty good for a lower gravity beer.
Robinsons Young Tom, good full on taste, from the homeland!
Hydes Over a Barrel, another Manc beer, ok but even back in the day the floral/semi sweetness of Hydes were not to my taste.
Holden's Burton Runner; hmm, ok if unremarkable but hinting at that Burton sulphur taste, I guess due to the local water. Much maligned but passable.
GK Suffolk Springer; Fullish flavoured GK ale, dark coloured. Is it Abbot in disguise?

RogerB
19-04-2010, 10:36
Chalked up 5 last night, the best being the Butciombe Blond followed by the Roosters Patriot. Trashy Blonde wasn't as good as I was expecting, a bit of a sharp edge to it and the Honkers Ale was also a bit disappointing. Okells Alt seemed a bit wishy washy for a 5%'er. 2 more that I didn't have time for last night so will probably have a quick stop on the way home. 24 down.

ROBCamra
20-04-2010, 15:18
Well I'm now up to 17 festival beers and apart from Honkers and Zulu I'd have to admit to being rather disappointed with the variety and taste of the rest.:(

Still a few more days to go though and I might find some more good ones.:drinkup:

hopwas
21-04-2010, 14:04
Well I'm now up to 17 festival beers and apart from Honkers and Zulu I'd have to admit to being rather disappointed with the variety and taste of the rest.:(

Still a few more days to go though and I might find some more good ones.:drinkup:

You can chalk up even more by visiting 6 JDWs in Brum and all walking distance each other

aleandhearty
21-04-2010, 16:10
Managed to clock up another 5 earlier today at the Wakefield 'spoons. Today's gripe is that several festival beers weren't labelled as such, as opposed to the other day when several non-festival beers were. Fortunately, having browsed the programme I was a little more list savvy.

Jennings: Stickle Pike. Boring, one dimensional flavour. A little tired?

Brewdog: trashy Blonde. Pick of the bunch. Restrained by their standards, but a great combination of fruit and hops.

Goose Island: Honkers Ale. Very disappointing. None of the New World brashness I was expecting. Found it had an almost ash like flavour. Seemed fresh enough,but maybe on the way out?

Elgood's: Hawkwind. Bizarre. Found it rather artificial tasting, an almost bubblegum like sweetness.

Wadworth: Farmer's Glory. Good balance. The alcohol boosts the malt flavour. Nice dry finish, but a half was enough.

So far 'Early Mist' and 'Trashy Blonde' are my front runners.

hopwas
21-04-2010, 16:37
Managed to clock up another 5 earlier today at the Wakefield 'spoons. Today's gripe is that several festival beers weren't labelled as such, as opposed to the other day when several non-festival beers were. Fortunately, having browsed the programme I was a little more list savvy.

Jennings: Stickle Pike. Boring, one dimensional flavour. A little tired?

Brewdog: trashy Blonde. Pick of the bunch. Restrained by their standards, but a great combination of fruit and hops.

Goose Island: Honkers Ale. Very disappointing. None of the New World brashness I was expecting. Found it had an almost ash like flavour. Seemed fresh enough,but maybe on the way out?

Elgood's: Hawkwind. Bizarre. Found it rather artificial tasting, an almost bubblegum like sweetness.

Wadworth: Farmer's Glory. Good balance. The alcohol boosts the malt flavour. Nice dry finish, but a half was enough.

So far 'Early Mist' and 'Trashy Blonde' are my front runners.

Hmm interesting.. I agree with Trashy Blonde and Farmers Glory both were in excellent condition and delightful to drink. Agree with Stickle Pike.. poor and boring to drink.

I should take you to The Bolebridge in Tamworth where they served excellent Honkers Ale, you say "Ash" like flavour.. I couldn't taste and I thought it was great effort by Goose Island.

aleandhearty
21-04-2010, 17:03
I should take you to The Bolebridge in Tamworth where they served excellent Honkers Ale, you say "Ash" like flavour.. I couldn't taste and I thought it was great effort by Goose Island.

I'll try and make the Bolebridge some day 'hoppy'.The Six Chimneys in Wakefield is a pretty good 'spoons, putting aside its rather featureless interior. If I have one criticism it's that their beers are usually a degree or two on the cold side. With all the beers today I was having to swoosh them around my mouth, to warm them up a bit. I'm sure parts of the flavour get lost sometimes.

RogerB
24-04-2010, 09:38
The ales and the ticker pens have been flowing freely in the last couple of days.

Daleside Spring Frenzy, Batemans Waynfleet Hedgerows, Otter Mild. Three B's Oatmeal Stout, Banks Morrells Oxford Blue, a much improved pint of Robinson's Young Tom, Hydes Over A Barrell, Nethergate Red Poll, Davenports Beer Hunter, Rhymney Bitter, Triple FFF Rock Lobster, Hawkshead Lakeland Lager and Greene King Suffolk Springer all sorted!

The Beer Hunter, Rock Lobster, Oxford Blue and, yes, the Lakeland Lager were all right up there with the best. BotW will be a tough one this week. Hope to put a dent into the remaining 14 over the weekend - still looking for a match to get to this afternoon but may do Leyton FC v Northwood - 'Spoons and Brodies both nearby!

Crossste
24-04-2010, 20:08
Just returned back from a day out in Burnley where once again the locals have something to point at now the planes have recommenced flying.

In the Boot i had an excellent pint of Three B,s Oatmeal Stout. I,m quite surprised it hasn,t had more of a mention unless it hasn,t been readily available elsewhere.

In the Brun Lea the Black Chalice matched the Oatmeal Stout for excellence and the coconut porter, as previously stated by Rob, seemed to taste more of vanilla, not unpleasant but glad i only got half. Perhaps the one i found most disappointing was Farmers Glory but maybe i should have tried this before some of the more flavoursome dark beers.

Millay
24-04-2010, 20:44
In the Boot i had an excellent pint of Three B,s Oatmeal Stout. I,m quite surprised it hasn,t had more of a mention unless it hasn,t been readily available elsewhere.

Perhaps the one i found most disappointing was Farmers Glory

They may have held this one back as I only found it a couple of days ago - a very good stout I thought and very tasty. Agree with you on the Farmers Glory, It didn't do much for me either.

Millay
24-04-2010, 20:47
Catching up on this week’s festival beers.

Triple FFF Rock Lobster was the first of the day on Monday I think and went down very easily. The Roosters Patriot and Mauldons Thomas’ Tipple were OK but unremarkable and the Dark Rider was better in the anticipation than the drinking of. The Cairngorm Culloden was a very good pint, loads of flavour, very malty with a bit of toffee in there somewhere I think. Rhymney Bitter was quite drinkable and the Oatmeal Stout was very tasty. I liked the Okells Alt and the Lakeland Lager was very refreshing if a little low on taste. Also found the festival cider which was pretty good.

So with one day left that brings me right up to date. 46 ticked off with the missing ones being, Nethergate Red Poll, Theakstons Grouse Beater, Weltons Hawthorn and the Titanic Tomahawk. I might have a look around tomorrow or just leave it there, not a bad haul. :cheers:

RogerB
25-04-2010, 09:28
Just one added yesterday, Allgates Brigantia which I didn't find that great. Doubled up on a few that I thought I would give a secind chance (Everards Flourish - awful and Roosters Patriot which I quite like). There are several of my missing ales that I still haven't actually seen available anywhere as opposed to previous festivals when I find all the beers but don't have time to try them. On the plus side, I haven't been to the 2 local 'Spoons for 4 or 5 days so I hope to pick up a few today and I dare say there will still be many around over the next couple of weeks even if the Festival is officially over.

aleandhearty
26-04-2010, 11:24
Managed to taste another eight over the weekend:

Fremlin's Bitter: Initially, I thought good bitterness and a decent session beer. However, after a while I found it a little lacking. Needed a little more fruit for me.

Morrell's Oxford Blue: The word 'luscious' in the programme notes was pretty accurate. Found the initial sweetness gave way to a good hoppy finish, with lingering hints of tropical fruit.

Robinson's Young Tom: Didn't rate this at all. Boring one dimensional malt flavour. Very flat mouth feel, short finish.

Cairngorm Culloden: Delightful stuff. Initially very wary of the use of orange peel, but it worked beautifully with the hops. Rich and satisfying. For me one of the beers of the festival.

Springhead Spring Chicken: Not unpleasant, obviously quite spicy with the cinnamon. Didn't find the use of honey off-putting. Not first rank but decent enough.

Herold Black Chalice: Lovely stuff. Certainly got the dark chocolate hit, but also something else I couldn't quite put my finger on. Very drinkable.

Moorhouse's Ambler Rambler: Didn't enjoy this. Seemed unbalanced with a slightly sour malt taste. Maybe on the turn? Would like to give it a second chance.

Oakham Rollercoaster: Incredible fruit. Fabulous citrus hop notes. A superb spring / summer beer. My BOTW and front runner in the festival.

RogerB
26-04-2010, 12:29
Just one added from 2 local 'Spoons yesterday (Springhead Spring Chicken) so ended the odfficial festival period on 38 although I still hope to get a few more in this week. Thought I'd give the Zulu a second try since it is the current No. 1 and warmed to it a bit more but wouldn't put it among my favourites.

I've also noticed a charity ale (Marstons Dragon's Tale - 10p for each pint sold goes to CLIC Sargent) appearing in all the 'Spoons recently so tried that and wasn't too impressed.

Conrad
26-04-2010, 12:36
I've also noticed a charity ale (Marstons Dragon's Tale - 10p for each pint sold goes to CLIC Sargent) appearing in all the 'Spoons recently so tried that and wasn't too impressed.
With regards to this charity I have always felt that contributing blood is far more constructive for Leukaemia, I am now imaging a situation where they collect a unit of blood at point of purchase of ale though.

Even better they should get rid of this tea rubbish when you contribute and give you a nice pint of Real Ale (I am sure there is some comment here about it being cheaper getting drunk after you have donated blood, but can't quite engineer it). I am sure more would give blood for this reward.

RogerB
26-04-2010, 15:40
I think my blood is probably quite toxic and it would cause a national emergency on the scale of the Windscale disaster if anyone started to pass it around.

Conrad
26-04-2010, 15:53
I should probably mention as some wont realise it, I contracted Leukaemia a few years back and had to be treated for it, I am now in full remission though. So I am a big fan of giving blood as I can testify that it was damned useful and kept me alive.

On a slightly humorous note though, whilst they were hooking me up to the red stuff I was having a casual conversation with the nurse, during which she informed me that I had nothing to worry about due to the way they scan blood these days. It slightly amused me that I was however ruled out from ever donating blood as I had received blood, clearly someone out there doesn't share her confidence :)

RogerB
26-04-2010, 16:02
Glad it all turned out OK! Next time I see the Dragon's Tale, I'll try and donate a few more 10p's. I might even end up liking the stuff. :cheers:

Conrad
26-04-2010, 16:20
Oh great now it is my fault when you get liver failure, I should warn you I am not allowed to donate organs either :p

Millay
26-04-2010, 20:54
From my missing beers I found two on Sunday, the Red Poll had just gone and the Titanic Tomahawk was ‘available soon’. So I’m declaring my hand on 46 (plus the festival cider) and am going to get my life back. After getting to 49 last festival there’s something to be said for not reaching perfection, it gives one something to aim for next time ;)

At some stage I’ll get my top and bottom 5 together and see how they compare to others.

rpadam
26-04-2010, 21:40
I'll own up now - achieved a rubbish total of just eight. Mind you, this did include the Herold Black Chalice, Titanic Tomahawk and Morrell's Oxford Blue which were all pretty good I thought.

hopwas
29-04-2010, 10:10
Oh great now it is my fault when you get liver failure, I should warn you I am not allowed to donate organs either :p

Darn! I was about to ask you about livers...:whistle:

hopwas
29-04-2010, 10:12
I ended up with 20 ales plus bonus festival cider. Not too bad.. only disappointment was missing out Budelse Capucjin. I tried to find it in Brum, Tamworth and Lichfield but no avail.