PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 21 Mar 2010)

Conrad
15-03-2010, 13:02
Well looks like Beer Festivals are in the offing again, so this should be beginning to get really interesting shortly.

gillhalfpint: Church End Irish Coffee (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1719-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Mar-2010%29&p=10113#post10113)
Alesonly: Okells Aile (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1719-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Mar-2010%29&p=10194#post10194)
aleandhearty: Brewster's Marquis (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1719-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Mar-2010%29&p=10209#post10209)
Hopwas: Meantime's London Stout (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1719-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Mar-2010%29&p=10254#post10254)
Oggwyn Trench: Six Bells Spring Forward (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1719-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Mar-2010%29&p=10270#post10270)
oldboots: Nevergate Umble Ale (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1719-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Mar-2010%29&p=10315#post10315)
ROBCamra: Idle Brewery Idle Eyes (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1719-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Mar-2010%29&p=10320#post10320)
Wittenden: Hog's Back TEA (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1719-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Mar-2010%29&p=10328#post10328)
Millay: Bank Top Leprechaun Stout (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1719-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Mar-2010%29&p=10336#post10336)
Eddie86: Hobsons Mild (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1719-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Mar-2010%29&p=10337#post10337)
RogerB: Blark's Classic Blond (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1719-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Mar-2010%29&p=10348#post10348)
HTM69: Brains SA (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1719-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Mar-2010%29&p=10350#post10350)
Dave M: Bristol Beer Factory Sunrise (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1719-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Mar-2010%29&p=10391#post10391)
Conrad: Bristol Beer Factory Sunrise (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1719-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Mar-2010%29&p=10393#post10393)
runningdog: Directors (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1719-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Mar-2010%29&p=10407#post10407)

hopwas
15-03-2010, 14:58
Well looks like Beer Festivals are in the offing again, so this should be beginning to get really interesting shortly.

This is may be first... Amber Attack (7.5%) Iron Bru flavoured cider. I drank it yesterday and felt legless afterwards.. Nice and crisp with hint of Iron Bru. It is very handy for hot and long summer day.

aleandhearty
15-03-2010, 15:24
This is may be first... Amber Attack (7.5%) Iron Bru flavoured cider. I drank it yesterday and felt legless afterwards.. Nice and crisp with hint of Iron Bru. It is very handy for hot and long summer day.

7.5%, on a hot summer's day? Not unless I want a headache that feels like a pounding lump hammer. :eek:

hopwas
16-03-2010, 19:30
Possibe contender for my BOTW..

Meantime's London Stout (4.5%) Hint of mocha coffee with very slight hint of spice (I think it might be cinnamon). It was very fullish stout and delightful finish. I have drank Meantime before and it was seasonal beer, Chocolate Porter.

BTW seems it is quiet week for this BOTW thread

HTM69
17-03-2010, 10:32
Supped my first four pints of the week last night down my local social club: two pints of the dependable Everards Tiger - and a new one to me - Batemans Hooker. Now, I'm a fan of Batemans, but this seasonal offering was distinctly average: very dissapointing.

Pubsignman
17-03-2010, 10:58
Batemans Hooker. Now, I'm a fan of Batemans, but this seasonal offering was distinctly average: very dissapointing.

I had one of these around this time last year and was so put-off by it that I haven't bothered with Bateman's ever since.

I'm not having a great week so far and the outlook doesn't bode well either. I've got a working lunch in a Davy's Wine Vault today followed by a stag weekend in Bournemouth. Aside from a couple of pints of Gales HSB whilst watching Bournemouth snatch a late draw with Notts County on Monday night, all I've managed this week is a Caledonian Flying Dutchman - supposedly an ale version of a Dutch wit beer, but in reality a pretty grim affair which was neither ale nor wit beer.

gillhalfpint
17-03-2010, 11:34
We will have a look round Birmingham this afternoon so should clock up our first ales since we got home from the excellent Leicester festival.

Conrad
17-03-2010, 12:20
3 pints last night Spitfire, Gem, and an old Hooky, sadly the old Hooky isn't sitting well today when coupled with the pizza I had just before it. Don't think any of them will be my BOTW sadly.

ROBCamra
17-03-2010, 14:27

Had a pub crawl round Leeds last night with a couple of ex work colleagues from West Yorks Police & CPS. :cheers:

Visited Scarborough Arms, Mr Foleys, Horse & Trumpet, Pack Horse & Leeds Brewery Tap.

Joint leaders at the moment are Black Bess Porter from York brewery and the wonderfully named Idle Eyes from Idle brewery.

gillhalfpint
17-03-2010, 20:16
Our trip round Birmingham was great. Not too many silly hats around.

Wellington - had 3 and the best was Morgans Irish Rover 4.6%.

A couple we have had before in the Briar Rose. Lymestone Ein Stein 5.0% best there, but not as good as the Morgans.

Anchor had loads of Irish beers on, but we had 4 English breweries, and it does suprise me to say it, but Church End Irish Coffee 4.6% was way above the rest for flavour.

Lamp Tavern also celebrating and although the ABC Celtic Pride 4% was a good one, I think the BOTW so far has to be the Church End Irish Coffee.

Millay
18-03-2010, 15:07
I can't say that I found my BotW in Edinburgh, maybe have better luck in Manchester :pray: . We passed a pub yesterday that proudly proclaimed its Beer of the Month as Red Stripe - we didn't go in.

gillhalfpint
18-03-2010, 18:04
I am a newcomer to this beer of the week really, and having just had 9 beers from the excellent Spring Beer Festival at the Old Moseley Arms in Birmingham, I am struggling to remember the ale I had earlier this week against those I have enjoyed today.

All of today's beers were different varieties of pale, straw and light gold. The best beer for colour was the Amber Ufford Union Jack, but I think I will stick with Church End Irish Coffee as BOTW.

Alesonly
19-03-2010, 15:17
My best Beer this week was Okells Aile at 4.8% ABV one of the best Ive had for ages. :cheers:

aleandhearty
19-03-2010, 19:32
Very hard to separate my two front runners this week, namely Green Jack 'Mahseer IPA' and Brewster's 'Marquis'. The former a rch IPA with a lovely spicy finish from the American hops and the latter a brilliantly well balanced tawny session bitter. If pushed I'd go for the Marquis. To achieve good concentrated flavour at 3.8% shows real skill and largely defines what British brewing is all about.

Conrad
20-03-2010, 00:06
Recorded those two,

Alesonly - is it really spelt Aile?

aleandhearty - How are you doing now?

Alesonly
20-03-2010, 10:00
Recorded those two,

Alesonly - is it really spelt Aile?

aleandhearty - How are you doing now?

Yes thats correct below is a copy of the Wetherspoons Description.
OKELLS AILE 4.8% ABV
Okells Brewery, Isle of Man. Est. 1874
This is a smoked Celtic porter, with smoky aromas of
liquorice and coffee, plus an initial sweet flavour, leading
to full-bodied silky-smooth liquorice on the palate and a
bitter hop finish.
Hops used: Cascade, Styrian Goldings, Willamette

Conrad
20-03-2010, 10:10
Yes thats correct below is a copy of the Wetherspoons Description.
OKELLS AILE 4.8% ABV
Okells Brewery, Isle of Man. Est. 1874
This is a smoked Celtic porter, with smoky aromas of
liquorice and coffee, plus an initial sweet flavour, leading
to full-bodied silky-smooth liquorice on the palate and a
bitter hop finish.
Hops used: Cascade, Styrian Goldings, Willamette
I should never of doubted you :notworthy:

gillhalfpint
20-03-2010, 11:52
Had a good session at the Burton beer festival yesterday, and sampled some fine beers and no poor ones. Ole Slewfoot Orange Blossom Special at 4.4% and Blackfriars Audit Ale at 8% stood out, but I am going to stay with the Church End Irish Coffee. Amazing! Never thought I would do that.

hopwas
20-03-2010, 14:22
Possibe contender for my BOTW..

Meantime's London Stout (4.5%) Hint of mocha coffee with very slight hint of spice (I think it might be cinnamon). It was very fullish stout and delightful finish. I have drank Meantime before and it was seasonal beer, Chocolate Porter.

BTW seems it is quiet week for this BOTW thread

My BOTW, Conrad.

Thanks

Oggwyn Trench
20-03-2010, 22:53
Six Bells Spring Forward this week , the best of a good but uninspiring bunch this week .

oldboots
21-03-2010, 18:25
An unexciting week, only Nethergate Umble Ale stands out.

Greene King St Edmonds was a surprisingly good beer though.

ROBCamra
21-03-2010, 19:11
I'm going to stick with Idle Brewery Idle Eyes. It was a good beer and I love the name!

trainman
21-03-2010, 20:18
Not often I'll go Mon-Fri without a beer but such was the case last week. Finally got to visit a few pubs yesterday but, although I'm sure most of the ales were in fine fettle, my cold was such that my tastebuds were severely diminished. I feel I have no choice but to 'pass' on this week's botw selection.
And, no, it didn't drown the cold as planned, I feel even worse today & have just wasted 3 bottles (Loddons Ferryman's Gold, Potton Village Bike & Shambles) all new to me (Asda 3 for £4) and will still be new to me when I sample them again in the week!

Maldenman
21-03-2010, 21:39
Best cold cure is a few hot toddies, double whisky, half a lemon squeezed, spoon of honey, squirt of boiled water ( enough to dissolve honey, no more), repeat until sleepy. Then if that doesn't work, a right hot curry. Right as rain in two days tops.

Wittenden
21-03-2010, 22:24
Mercifully free of colds this week, but not many trips to the pub.On consideration Hog's Back TEA was my beer of the week, and on the bottled front-Sierra Nevada Torpedo, my entry into the world of American IPAs.

Conrad
21-03-2010, 23:42
I'm going to have to pass this week as well. Actually had quite a few beers but none really qualifies as a beer of the week, wishing I had snuck a Doom Bar in then I could at least have nominated that.

Millay
22-03-2010, 07:34
Well it's been a busy old week and I've had a few beers. Nothing has really stood out although some of the bottled stuff yesterday was interesting. I'm going with tradition though and nominating a cask beer, and it's going to be Bank Top Leprechaun Stout, drunk in the Mark Addy with the ROBCamras.

Eddie86
22-03-2010, 08:48
I've spent the week clearing out the 'brewery yard', which in turn meant clearing out most of the garden sheds and having a right old sort out. Amazing what you find in the back of the shed. Anyway, the reason for me telling you all this is, obviously after 12-14hrs of shifting heavy wood/barrels/scrap metal, I fancied a pint or two before heading home to the mrs and food.

Winner for me: Hobson's Mild. Only 3.2%, so 2 pints quenched my thirst without getting me rat-a$$ed but with no compromise on flavour whatsoever. It's so bloody good I've ordered another firkin for next week!

Close second is Old Empire 5.7% - dangerously drinkable.

RogerB
22-03-2010, 09:33
Quite a strong selection for me this week. Had my first beer from the Redemption brewery which I hoped would be a contender but it was a little disappointing. Maybe the Gael Rua should be BotW since it has been the most heavily debated! The Harp in Covent Garden had Dark Star Hophead that under any other circumstance would probably win my accolade any week and the Ship & Shovells Hoppng Hare also a good shout. The green coloured Stonehenge Sign Of Spring at the Swan, Hammersmith was quite a refreshing if gimmicky pint but the shing star of the week (and probably the year so far) has been Clark's Classic Blonde at the Flying Boat, Dartford. Top stuff.

Until I hit Wakefield last month I knew little of Clarks or their beers but whilst undertaking a bit of research I was a bit taken back to find out that their origins were down the road from me. Next to the brewery in Wakefield is a pub called the Henry Boon and after a bit of Googling to find out who the hell he was I discovered that these was Clark's christian names. In the late 19th century he was brewing at a couple of premises in Gravesend, the company eventually falling under the banner Northfleet Brewing Co that was later acquired by the Dartford Brewery Company. Clark resurfaced in Wakefield in the 1900's and started the brewery that we see today. If all their beers are as good as Classic Blonde, I wouldn't mind if they could move it back!

HTM69
22-03-2010, 10:41
Despite last week being quite a beer-fuelled 7 days, I'm saddened to admit that I sampled little of real interest.

To my knowledge, I consumed the following:

Everards Tiger x 2
Batemans Hooker x 2
Bombardier x 3
Nethergate Sweeny Todd x 1
Brains SA X1
Spitfire x 1
Banks Bitter x 1
Sharps Doom Bar x 1
London Pride x 3
Chang Lager (Bottled) x1
Newcastle Brown Ale x 3
Vodka and Coke (single measure) x 2

I sampled further 2 beers in the Willow Walk Wetherspoon (Victoria) and a bitter in the Wat Tyler (Dartford), but cannot recall names of breweries!

Beer-of-the-week? Brains SA

Dave M
22-03-2010, 16:59
I'm going to have to pass this week as well. Actually had quite a few beers but none really qualifies as a beer of the week, wishing I had snuck a Doom Bar in then I could at least have nominated that.
Well I did have the Doom Bar and it doesn't get my nomination this week. Definitely wasn't quite right.

I'll go with the Bristol Beer Factory Sunrise.

Conrad
22-03-2010, 17:04
Oh I had forgotten that one. That was actually a creditable pint so thanks for reminding me!

So BOTW also goes to Sunrise.

And the worst bit of that story is that we only went and got that pint in as I was gagging for a drink, and of course I am the one who forgets it :o

runningdog
22-03-2010, 18:36
I was just gonna stick me 'ead round the door again, but now I need a pint or two, on account of how complicated life has got. Nothing special in the BotW stakes for me either. It turned into a battle between Bishops Farewell and Directors. On reflection the Directors wins, two outstanding pints of a beer I've loved for years... Next day, the barrel had turned to soup..........:mad::drinkup::drinkup:

aleandhearty
24-03-2010, 20:49
..but the shing star of the week (and probably the year so far) has been Clark's Classic Blonde at the Flying Boat, Dartford. Top stuff.

Until I hit Wakefield last month I knew little of Clarks or their beers... If all their beers are as good as Classic Blonde, I wouldn't mind if they could move it back!

Strikes me you've become rather smitten with Yorkshire beers after your visit to Wakey. :D Personally,I've always had a bit of a love-hate thing going on with Clark's beers. If you look at their website www.hbclark.co.uk/clarks-brewery.html they brew four core beers, twelve birthday beers and four seasonals, many of which are very indistinguishable and ho-hum. However, I do like Westgate Gold (and Classic Blonde, if it's well kept). Clark's own three pubs, of which the pick is The King's Arms at Heath: http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57387/ Maybe one for next time? :)

RogerB
25-03-2010, 09:06
Strikes me you've become rather smitten with Yorkshire beers after your visit to Wakey. :D

It wasn't just the Wakey trip. Spurs drew Doncaster away in September and then we had a week's holiday in the Dales in December followed by Leeds / Wakefield last month. At this rate I'll be off to buy a whippet.

aleandhearty
25-03-2010, 11:12
It wasn't just the Wakey trip. Spurs drew Doncaster away in September and then we had a week's holiday in the Dales in December followed by Leeds / Wakefield last month. At this rate I'll be off to buy a whippet.

Ah yes. I'd forgotten about Donny and The Dales (sounds like a fifties doo-wop group). Forgive my evangelistic zeal. :)