PDA

View Full Version : Another penny off beer duty

NickDavies
19-03-2014, 12:18
...another penny in the till for the pubcos?

sheffield hatter
19-03-2014, 13:25
Last year on the Pubs Galore crawl of Leicester, one of the pubs had a bowl of pennies on the bar and gave one to everyone who bought a pint.

Soup Dragon
19-03-2014, 13:38
one of the pubs had a bowl of pennies on the bar and gave one to everyone who bought a pint.

That means Quinno missed out :p

gillhalfpint
19-03-2014, 13:51
Most pubs seem to sell beer rounded to 0 or 5 these days so not sure if we will get a £2.94 or £3.19 pint.

Quinno
19-03-2014, 14:00
That means Quinno missed out :p

:p

Most pubs seem to sell beer rounded to 0 or 5 these days so not sure if we will get a £2.94 or £3.19 pint.

You won't get either, the cut will be absorbed into production costs which means that it'll take a little longer for prices to go up. Don't expect a 1p cut at the bar beyond a short-term gimmick (Tim Martin, I'm looking at you...)

Aqualung
19-03-2014, 19:11
It's the brewers that pay the excise duty so this is good news for them more than anyone. To put it in perspective, a saving of 72p on the production cost of a firkin won't make any difference. The scandal is the way that for years the pubcos and breweries with pubs have used 1p increases on duty to justify a 10-20p increase on a pint, probalby more so in the South East.

Does anyone know what happened with the "Park Bench" beer tax or the relief for beers up to 2.8%?

london calling
19-03-2014, 19:45
It's the brewers that pay the excise duty so this is good news for them more than anyone. To put it in perspective, a saving of 72p on the production cost of a firkin won't make any difference. The scandal is the way that for years the pubcos and breweries with pubs have used 1p increases on duty to justify a 10-20p increase on a pint, probalby more so in the South East.

Does anyone know what happened with the "Park Bench" beer tax or the relief for beers up to 2.8%?

They can still get a discount for beers up to 2.8 but it only applies to the bigger brewers.

Farway
20-03-2014, 14:01
I had e-mail from Fullers, free pint of London Pride for me.

before the die in ditch real ale fans jump on me my only choice locally is Fullers, or Fullers, so gift horses & teeth spring to my mind, and it is not my normal choice, but any port in storm

At around £3.25 a pint that is 325 pennies back at least, and by taking care of pennies the pounds look after themselves

Not sure I can squeeze any more clichés in there and live :evilgrin:

Aqualung
20-03-2014, 15:31
They can still get a discount for beers up to 2.8 but it only applies to the bigger brewers.

I didn't know that! So for all the micros having a bash at making these beers it's more of a challenge or vanity project. I've seen several of these beers in Supermarkets, but they never seem as good value as the Special Offers, Multibuys or best of all line clearances.

ROBCamra
20-03-2014, 15:54
I didn't know that! So for all the micros having a bash at making these beers it's more of a challenge or vanity project. I've seen several of these beers in Supermarkets, but they never seem as good value as the Special Offers, Multibuys or best of all line clearances.

The 2.8% duty discount applies to all brewers, but it doesn't make much difference to smaller brewers.

According to Rob & Tom from Hand Drawn Monkey it saves them about 72p per barrel which is nothing to them when they have a 6 barrel plant.

Apply the same to e.g. Fullers with several hundred thousand barrels a year and it makes a major difference.

And as you point out HDM brewed Smaller IPA & Smaller Stout just to prove that they could get lots of flavour into a low ABV beer.

Mobyduck
20-03-2014, 19:07
I had e-mail from Fullers, free pint of London Pride for me.

before the die in ditch real ale fans jump on me my only choice locally is Fullers, or Fullers, so gift horses & teeth spring to my mind, and it is not my normal choice, but any port in storm

At around £3.25 a pint that is 325 pennies back at least, and by taking care of pennies the pounds look after themselves

Not sure I can squeeze any more clichés in there and live :evilgrin:
Que Sera Sera . :sick: :D

Boots60
20-03-2014, 19:30
Buy 325 pints, get 1 free.

Mobyduck
20-03-2014, 19:34
350 pints of standard drinking bitter in my neck of the woods. :D

Boots60
20-03-2014, 19:39
Don't want to get too political here but Osbourne is either taking the proverbial or he has'nt got a clue what the real world is like. Beer & bingo anyone?

Mobyduck
20-03-2014, 19:58
Beer & bingo anyone?
I'll settle for the beer whatever the cost. :D

Alesonly
20-03-2014, 21:28
Every one seems to have forgotten they put up VAT by 3% from 17% to 20% adding around 10p a pint. Then take a penny off and we are all supposed to be thankful. Its Smoke & mirrors again and we are not amused.

london calling
20-03-2014, 21:33
The 2.8% duty discount applies to all brewers, but it doesn't make much difference to smaller brewers.

According to Rob & Tom from Hand Drawn Monkey it saves them about 72p per barrel which is nothing to them when they have a 6 barrel plant.

Apply the same to e.g. Fullers with several hundred thousand barrels a year and it makes a major difference.

And as you point out HDM brewed Smaller IPA & Smaller Stout just to prove that they could get lots of flavour into a low ABV beer.
When the Gov brought in a higher rate of duty for beers over 7.5 they also cut the duty on beers up to 2.8.Small brewers get whats called Small Brewery Beer Relief much to the annoyance of the bigger regionals but they cannot claim it for beers under 2.8. If its only a penny a pint its not worth it as the publicans would want to pay a lot less for a barrel of beer at that gravity.

Aqualung
20-03-2014, 21:39
Osbourne is either taking the proverbial or he has'nt got a clue what the real world is like.

My vote goes for the latter!

ETA
21-03-2014, 09:18
Sounds like an average night out in some places.

ETA
21-03-2014, 09:19

SOunds like an average night out in some places.