PDA

View Full Version : Meet The Brewer - Hand Drawn Monkey

ROBCamra
19-03-2014, 08:29
There was a Meet The Brewer night last night at The Baum (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55901/)
with Rob & Tom from Hand Drawn Monkey brewery in Huddersfield.

26 of us crammed into the conservatory to have an informal chat with the brewers and to taste 3 of their beers
whilst they explained their brewing philosophy (I think it's roughly 50% innovation & 50% madness) and how they brewed each of the beers.

The 3 beers were HDM Pale Ale, Monkeys Love Hops & Smaller Stout.

Monkeys Love Hops is a changing beer brewed with a different variety of hops each time with the same malt base and the same number of IBU's.
This was the 14th version with number 15 in the fermenter. There were 3 hops involved Cascade, Galena and "I can't remember".:o

Pale is one of their standard brews an easy drinking 4% fresh, hoppy, light beer with Chinook, Cluster, Columbus & Amarillo Hops.

Smaller Stout is an amazingly full bodied stout at only 2.8%. It was a one off brew, just to prove they could do it. It's now likely to get brewed again!

A lively question and answer session continued throughout the night.

So there you are. A pleasant evening spent with enthusiastic brewers.

A taster tray with three 1/3 pint samples of each beer and a toad in the hole supper
made with sausages specially prepared using HDM pale ale.

All for a fiver!!!!:eek:

The conservatory can only hold 28, so the next one will probably have to be ticket only.

Next up on the 15th April it's the turn of the brewsters as we welcome Kathryn & Amanda from Wilson Potter brewery in Middleton. :cheers:

http://www.hdmbeer.com/home/4579342221

Off to the Northern Restaurant & Bar Show 2014 in Manchester today.

I've no idea how I used to fit in time to go to work. :evilgrin:

Bucking Fastard
22-03-2014, 15:14
That's interesting.With one of the founders formerly at Blue Monkey these HDM beers would seem to be well worth seeking out.Hope to be in Huddersfield in June,must try and find out where to get a few pints of their output.

ROBCamra
22-03-2014, 16:29
That's interesting.With one of the founders formerly at Blue Monkey these HDM beers would seem to be well worth seeking out.Hope to be in Huddersfield in June,must try and find out where to get a few pints of their output.

Here would be a good place Hand Drawn Monkey Beer Shop & Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/78471/) ;)

4 handpumps usually with a couple of their beers on alongside guests.

Bucking Fastard
22-03-2014, 17:09
Here would be a good place Hand Drawn Monkey Beer Shop & Bar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/78471/) ;)

Cheers,could be route 1 when next in Huddersfield

aleandhearty
23-03-2014, 17:55

Cheers,could be route 1 when next in Huddersfield

Managed to finally visit HDM at the end of Feb. Quirky is the word that springs to mind, particularly with the expansion into the shop next door largely unfinished. Tried a 2.8% IPA, which would probably would have been rather impressive had I not a beautiful pint of Magic Rock Ringmaster just beforehand. The Intense Sumatran Coffee Stout 7% left me rather cold. Alcoholic espresso anyone?

ROBCamra
15-04-2014, 11:13
Wilson Potter are next up for a Meet The Brewer in The Baum tonight.

Kathryn & Amanda will hopefully be regaling us with some amusing stories whilst we try their beers. (I've tried several and like most of them).

It's part of our Brewsters week at The Baum this week until Easter Sunday featuring Mallinsons, Wilson Potter, Offbeat, Prospect, Dancing Duck & Welbeck Abbey.

Starring, to quote the girls from Offbeat "Beer Brewed By Chicks" on 5 of the handpumps. Go Girls. :cheers:

ROBCamra
15-07-2014, 13:26
Tara Mallinson and partner Elaine will be at The Baum tonight for the Meet The Brewer night.

Looks like there's going to be some good ale supped later this evening. :cheers:

aleandhearty
15-07-2014, 13:33
Tara Mallinson and partner Elaine will be at The Baum tonight for the Meet The Brewer night.

Looks like there's going to be some good ale supped later this evening. :cheers:

That sounds like a cracker. Have a couple for me ROB. Enjoy. :drinkup:

ROBCamra
31-08-2014, 11:41
The next Meet The Brewer at The Baum on the 16th September will be with Stuart & Johnny from Marble. :notworthy:

Is that boat still anywhere around the north BF & TP? :evilgrin:

You could come and meet your heroes.

Bucking Fastard
31-08-2014, 16:16
The next Meet The Brewer at The Baum on the 16th September will be with Stuart & Johnny from Marble. :notworthy:

The old tub will be in Stoke on Trent at that time,and it's very tempting but I've got some H&S training the following day in Enfield,so I will just have to leave it to you to sample their wares .Please leave some for the other Baum punters,you lucky devil.:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup ::drinkup::drinkup:

Thuck Phat
01-09-2014, 10:40

Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh! :(

ROBCamra
17-09-2014, 14:57
Well, a pleasant evening was had by all last night as Stuart & Johnny from Marble chatted to us about their beers.

The beers on the bar were Marble Pint & Best along with a collaboration beer with Beermoth off licence which was a 7.2% hop bomb.

The Toad in the Hole supper made with the Beermoth ale in both the sausages and the gravy was excellent.

Possibly not quite as good as the ones made with Black Jack Stout when Rob Hamilton (ex Marble head brewer) did the talking.

The boys are in York today for the beer festival selling Marble bottles etc

I'll bet Gill meets up with them somewhere along the way. :cheers:

gillhalfpint
17-09-2014, 17:22
Will be there tomorrow, and Friday and maybe Saturday.

Thuck Phat
18-09-2014, 11:16
Well, a pleasant evening was had by all last night as Stuart & Johnny from Marble chatted to us about their beers.

The beers on the bar were Marble Pint & Best along with a collaboration beer with Beermoth off licence which was a 7.2% hop bomb.

The Toad in the Hole supper made with the Beermoth ale in both the sausages and the gravy was excellent.

Possibly not quite as good as the ones made with Black Jack Stout when Rob Hamilton (ex Marble head brewer) did the talking.

The boys are in York today for the beer festival selling Marble bottles etc

I'll bet Gill meets up with them somewhere along the way. :cheers:

It sounds excellent and I'd love to try the Beermoth collaboration.

Mr. F. and I found some consolation at the unlikely setting of The Napoli (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82227/) in Leek in the form of Marble Earl Grey IPA. :drinkup: