PDA

View Full Version : Nicholsons Pubs

Aqualung
03-03-2014, 16:36
I get the impression that some correspondents think that this chain of pubs can do no wrong as opposed to other chains like say er, Wetherspoons.

I was fascinated to see the review for this (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24449/) pub highlighting something that Spoons outlawed completely in all their pubs years ago.
To compound the problem a member of Nicholson's has made an apologetic reply but has scored his chain's pub a 10!

My own view of Nicholsons is based on a single visit to a a West End one last year and it was OK but having now visited all the Central London Spoons my Central London agenda is now limited to a very select few pubs, all of which I've been to before. There is one Central London Nicholsons that I want to visit but it is completely beer unrelated.

Mobyduck
03-03-2014, 19:08
I get the impression that some correspondents think that this chain of pubs can do no wrong as opposed to other chains like say er, Wetherspoons.

I was fascinated to see the review for this (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24449/) pub highlighting something that Spoons outlawed completely in all their pubs years ago.
To compound the problem a member of Nicholson's has made an apologetic reply but has scored his chain's pub a 10!

My own view of Nicholsons is based on a single visit to a a West End one last year and it was OK but having now visited all the Central London Spoons my Central London agenda is now limited to a very select few pubs, all of which I've been to before. There is one Central London Nicholsons that I want to visit but it is completely beer unrelated.
I have found most Nicholsons pubs to be fairly decent pubs ,never knowingly suffered trainmans misfortune in that (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24449/) pub, but it makes you think, totally unacceptable behaviour, hopefully a one off. I
don't know which central London one you have been in Aqua, but you should try The Black Friar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23505/) if you haven't before , beer and interior it has scored high for me in the past.

trainman
03-03-2014, 19:25
Just to say it wasn't me being served, or I'd certainly have demanded beer from the pump, and not some that had been sitting around in a plastic tray, then transferred to a glass, awaiting top-up!
My beer, served at the front bar, was pulled directly into a clean glass although, here too, a couple of years ago I have witnessed glasses in action as drip-trays being used to top up pints.
I don't really understand the request to identify a staff member - surely the message should be reinforced to the whole team that the practice should never be used?

Mobyduck
03-03-2014, 19:28
I don't really understand the request to identify a staff member - surely the message should be reinforced to the whole team that the practice should never be used?
Correct.

Aqualung
03-03-2014, 20:47
I have found most Nicholsons pubs to be fairly decent pubs ,never knowingly suffered trainmans misfortune in that (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24449/) pub, but it makes you think, totally unacceptable behaviour, hopefully a one off. I
don't know which central London one you have been in Aqua, but you should try The Black Friar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23505/) if you haven't before , beer and interior it has scored high for me in the past.

I've been to the Black Friar a few times, probably before the pub chain started. It was noted in those days for selling a decent pint of Bass when Bass was one of the better beers in London and you could walk across the bridge to visit the ORIGINAL Young's Prince William Henry and Founder's Arms followed by Becky's Dive Bar.

The one I've been to recently is this (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60723/) and it was OK. I went there for nostalgia purposes as it was the local of a mate who lived in a squat opposite with his barrister girlfriend (I'm not making this up!).

I'm not really knocking the chain, I've seen several reports of how they have improved. The story just makes me feel smug about being happy to visit Spoons!!

Aqualung
03-03-2014, 21:04
although, here too, a couple of years ago I have witnessed glasses in action as drip-trays being used to top up pints.

Surely this isn't too bad if it's busy and it's a lively beer?
The worst practice of all was to throw all the slops and half finished pints into a plastic bucket at the end of the night. The bucket was obviously destined for returning to a barrel. Since the extended opening hours I haven't been in a position to see if this still goes on.

london calling
03-03-2014, 22:06
On a head to head basis I prefer Nicolsons to Mc Spoons
the beers seem to be better conditioned
they are actually pubs not ex cinema,s bingo halls ect
they are beer led rather than food led
they serve you quickly
when a beer is gone they remove the pumpclip
obviously they are a lot dearer than Wetherspoon but they seem to charge the same price In all their pubs rather than the predatory pricing adopted by Wetherspoon.
As you can see I am not a fan of drinking in Mc Spoons but they have brought real ale variety to lots of places so they are a benefit to us drinkers

gillhalfpint
03-03-2014, 22:12
I saw glasses standing in drip trays at a Good Beer Guide pub in Oxford, and asked the staff why. I was told it was a lively beer and wouldn't be standing more than 10 minutes. I watched as staff serving from neighbouring pumps were trailing beer from one glass across the one in the tray. There could be any muck and flies getting in the beer that a staff member poured into a glass to start another customer's pint. This was a few years ago, and I did contact the Oxford CAMRA branch at the time. I make sure I stand where I can see the drip trays now when visiting that pub.

Strongers
04-03-2014, 05:37
I'm a fan of Nicholson pubs and their trad decor. One of the best breakfasts I've had in a pub was in the Nicholson's across the road from the station on the PuG Leeds crawl. If going in blind I'd certainly choose to visit a Nicholson's pub over a Spoons.

hondo
04-03-2014, 07:26
With chains as big as Spoons and Nicholson's your going to get good,bad, better and worse across the group. A pubs a pub review it as you find it.

:cool: Review Without Prejudice :cool:

Aqualung
04-03-2014, 08:35
With chains as big as Spoons and Nicholson's your going to get good,bad, better and worse across the group. A pubs a pub review it as you find it.

:cool: Review Without Prejudice :cool:

A very good point, I wasn't really inviting a direct comparison between the two but I suspect that London Calling's comparison is generally on the money. The worst part of the whole episode for me was the man from Nicholson's blatantly giving his own pub a rating of 10!

I was underwhelmed by the 3 West Midlands Spoons I visited on Saturday. I would have expected in an area where there is good cheap local beer readily available for them to up their game but that didn't seem to be the case at all. I can't speak too much for the Wolverhampton one as it was rammed and I was tired and hungry so just ordered a curry and went for the nearest guest to go with it. They were also more expensive than some of the Outer London ones.

NickDavies
04-03-2014, 08:59
It always surprises me that M&B have got it close to right with Nicholsons, especially when you consider some of their other efforts: O'Niells; Vintage Inns; Harvester, I could carry on.

Gann
04-03-2014, 11:16
It always surprises me that M&B have got it close to right with Nicholsons, especially when you consider some of their other efforts: O'Niells; Vintage Inns; Harvester, I could carry on.

Yes, my experiences of Nicholsons have on the whole been favourable, especially the policy of taking traditional historic pubs and not buggering about with them, a personal favourite being The Coal Hole (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22063/), and somedays I have had to pinch myself that I am in a place owned by M&B.

I agree with Hondo's comments that with chains as big as Spoons and Nicholson's you are going to get the good and the bad, and for better and worse across the group, but my general experience has been good.
Although in saying that, one bug bear I do have with the busy City Nicholsons (good example being another of my faves http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubreviews/23430/ where unfortunately this happens a lot) is that they are prone to short pulling, mainly because they employ inexperienced cannon fodder bar staff who can't cope during the evening rush...

Mobyduck
04-03-2014, 19:17
A very good point, I wasn't really inviting a direct comparison between the two but I suspect that London Calling's comparison is generally on the money. The worst part of the whole episode for me was the man from Nicholson's blatantly giving his own pub a rating of 10!

I was underwhelmed by the 3 West Midlands Spoons I visited on Saturday. I would have expected in an area where there is good cheap local beer readily available for them to up their game but that didn't seem to be the case at all. I can't speak too much for the Wolverhampton one as it was rammed and I was tired and hungry so just ordered a curry and went for the nearest guest to go with it. They were also more expensive than some of the Outer London ones.
I have to agree about the misplaced enthusiastic 10/10 , but Nicholsons normally win the day for me, mainly because as LC says they are pubs whereas I do struggle with this aspect in most JDW's.

london calling
04-03-2014, 23:47
M&b have a vast range of pubs which they try to cater for everyone .They also have the White Horse at Parsons green which although expensive has a great line up of beers and 3 monster fests every year.They also have De Hems a continental bar next to China town in Soho. A great bar (imo)which doesn't fit into any of there chains but they have kept it open anyway.

london calling
05-03-2014, 00:03
I was at a beer fest in the Soho when I saw the barstaff putting the drip tray into peoples pints.When I complained I was told What the fuck has it got to do with you.The barman then went to the landlord and his wife had a discussion then told me to finish my pint and leave.I am sure this is not the policy of the Falcon.

gillhalfpint
05-03-2014, 07:37
I was at a beer fest in the Soho when I saw the barstaff putting the drip tray into peoples pints.When I complained I was told What the fuck has it got to do with you.The barman then went to the landlord and his wife had a discussion then told me to finish my pint and leave.I am sure this is not the policy of the Falcon.

I have seen this done in an Oxford pub and was told it was a lively beer and wouldn't stand more than 10 minutes. I watched beer dribble into it from pints pulled from the next pump and it did get used to top up someone's pint. I go to the side of the bar so I can see the trays now if I go into that pub, and make sure my beer is from the pump!! I did report it to Oxford CAMRA at the time.

Aqualung
05-03-2014, 08:41
This sort of thing has been going on for years and especially in Central London pubs which is why in general I avoid them. They have a captive market and can and often will try and get away with everything, overcharging, short measures, serving cloudy beer or slops etc etc etc. Considering the vast number of Central London pubs there are very few that I feel happy about visiting, and that includes Spoons.