PDA

View Full Version : East End Crawl 19/2/2014

Al 10000
08-02-2014, 17:54
I will be doing a large crawl in the East End of London on the 19th February.

This crawl will start in Limehouse doing 8 pubs there 6 without reviews,then bus it up burdett road to Mile End,probably do around 6 pubs in this area heading north to roman road,then up to old ford road,i will then walk down grove road back to Mile End if time permits i will go along mile end road to Stepney Green probably end up in the Spoons there.

If all pubs are done it should net me 12 London pubs without a review.

This is the rough list of pubs i will do in order.

Railway Tavern, commercial road
White Horse, white horse lane
Old Ship, barnes street
Queens Head, flamborough road
Prince Regent, salmon lane
The Crown, commercial road
The Grapes, narrow street
Star of the East, commercial road
Coburn Arms, coburn road
Morgan Arms, morgan street
Lord Tredegar, lichfield street
Lord Cardigan, anglo road
Young Prince, roman road
The Albert, st stephens road
Elenor Arms, old ford road
Lord Morpeth, old ford road
The Crown, grove road
Palm Tree, not sure where this pub is at mo
The Victoria, grove road
Wentworth Arms, eric street

If i have time

Bancroft Arms, mile end road
Half Moon, mile end road
Horn of Plenty, globe road

I hope to be in a pub in Limehouse before 11.30am

If any reguler members would like to join me on this crawl,i would be happy to meet up for a blast round the East End.

Cheers Alan

Aqualung
08-02-2014, 19:38
I'm not sure what's happening at the Palm Tree. Last year I heard it had closed and then I heard it had opened again. I can only assume that the people who ran it for many years have quit or retired.

Mobyduck
08-02-2014, 23:09
I'm not sure what's happening at the Palm Tree. Last year I heard it had closed and then I heard it had opened again. I can only assume that the people who ran it for many years have quit or retired.
My last experience here a year ago or so was not good, I did a thread on it somewhere but cant find it right now. Nothing to do with being out on the p**s in London all day of course.

sheffield hatter
10-02-2014, 18:08
Palm Tree (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubmap/55292/), not sure where this pub is at mo

It seems to be beyond the reach of the Google maps cameras. The map point appears to be in the middle of someone's garden!

Looks like an interesting crawl, and if I can get Wednesday off next week I'll see if I can join you. Not sure I could manage the whole 23 pub route, mind you.

Al 10000
10-02-2014, 18:22
It seems to be beyond the reach of the Google maps cameras. The map point appears to be in the middle of someone's garden!

Looks like an interesting crawl, and if I can get Wednesday off next week I'll see if I can join you. Not sure I could manage the whole 23 pub route, mind you.

It would be great if you could join me Will,i only intend in doing 21 pubs,but i like to have a few spare if i find some closed pubs.

I should be arriving at Victoria Coach station at 10.50am arriving at Limehouse by Docklands railway,i have to be back at Victoria Coach station by 5.45pm for the 6.00pm bus back to Nottingham.

Rex_Rattus
11-02-2014, 15:07
The map point for the Palm Tree is definitely in the right place, as I put it there. In fact it sits in splendid isolation in a small park area backing right onto the canal. But its opening times during weekday lunchtimes/afternoons have been a bit erratic in the past, but it's definitely worth a visit if it's open. Also, the Victoria was closed when I walked past it on a weekday afternoon a few weeks ago, so it's sensible to have some "spares".

I'll also try and get over to East London at some stage, even if it's just to say "hello". I'm meeting some friends in Twickenham at lunchtime, and I'm supposed to be at a CAMRA meeting in Wandsworth in the evening, but if possible I'll try to get over there for an hour or so. I like to give my Freedom Pass a good workout now and then!

Bucking Fastard
11-02-2014, 16:36
Enjoy your crawl Al,would have liked to join you but on the dates for both your recent London crawls I have been ferrying an elderly relative to and from out patient appointments.

I am down in Mile End Park most Tuesdays and the Palm Tree often seems to be lifeless,but it is only really closed when the steel window shutters are down.Often the lights aren't on,but if you push on the doors you may find one that is open,at which point you may have to shout out for service.The tenants live upstairs,and they may notice you milling around outside even if the doors are locked.I can't drink on duty ,so have never been inside,but by all accounts the interior is worth investigating even if the beer quality may be suspect (See Moby's review).

If you can't get in ,the view of the boats on the canal is interesting :evilgrin:

Maldenman
11-02-2014, 16:45
Have a read of my review if you want to see what happens when you push a door open in the afternoon!

Mobyduck
12-02-2014, 08:49
You should definitely have a look at the Palm Tree Al, it has a very interesting interior, also from the outside it is strange to see a onetime street corner pub standing alone in a park. I was a bit miffed at the time of my review as the main purpose of my third visit was to show a friend who hadn't been there the wonderfully quirky inside, but we wasn't allowed inside, this was on a Tuesday just after 1 o clock. The pub is better than my rather meagre rating of 4,maybe now that time has mellowed my ire , I should reinstate my former rating of 7, the beer has been average IMO
but obviously better than John Smiths Smooth crap.Of the other pubs on your list. Iv'e been to the Eleanor Arms,I'm sure you will like this one, The Grapes, I like it but it is getting more foody over the years, and the Coburn Arms, I cant give a real opinion of this pub as my one and only visit was a Saturday night with England playing football, the place was rammed and the beer was near the end of the barrel,one definite downside was the toilets being awash with the Yellow stuff,and I don't mean the Youngs Bitter .
Have a good day Al, I'm afraid last Saturdays blow out has blown me out financially as well as having to replace my old car this month so I cant make it, hopefully somewhen in the not too distant future ,I will be able to meet up.

Mobyduck
12-02-2014, 08:53
I am down in Mile End Park most Tuesdays .I can't drink on duty ,so have never been inside,but by all accounts the interior is worth investigating even if the beer quality may be suspect (See Moby's review).

If you can't get in ,the view of the boats on the canal is interesting :evilgrin:
Can you not nip in for a coke or Orange Squash BF :sick: Its well worth a look.

Bucking Fastard
12-02-2014, 09:21
Can you not nip in for a coke or Orange Squash BF :sick: Its well worth a look.

Go in a pub and not have a beer ? I've still got some principles left.;)

Mobyduck
12-02-2014, 10:13
Go in a pub and not have a beer ? I've still got some principles left.;)
Well said

Al 10000
12-02-2014, 15:51
Enjoy your crawl Al,would have liked to join you but on the dates for both your recent London crawls I have been ferrying an elderly relative to and from out patient appointments.

I am down in Mile End Park most Tuesdays and the Palm Tree often seems to be lifeless,but it is only really closed when the steel window shutters are down.Often the lights aren't on,but if you push on the doors you may find one that is open,at which point you may have to shout out for service.The tenants live upstairs,and they may notice you milling around outside even if the doors are locked.I can't drink on duty ,so have never been inside,but by all accounts the interior is worth investigating even if the beer quality may be suspect (See Moby's review).

I am looking forward to doing the Grapes as this is one of only a few London pubs that i have not visited that is in a nice book i have about London Pubs by Peter haydon & Chris Coe.
I am also looking forward to going in the Eleanor Arms because it is a Shepherd Neame house,i love Shepherd Neames beers,and lastly i will enjoy going in hopefully 12 unreviewed London pubs which is quite hard to do with so many reviewers being down south.

PS also forgot to say looking forward to seeing the boats on the canal :rolleyes:

sheffield hatter
13-02-2014, 21:59
The map point for the Palm Tree is definitely in the right place, as I put it there. In fact it sits in splendid isolation in a small park area backing right onto the canal.

I didn't mean to suggest the map point was in the wrong place, only that on street view it appears to be in a garden, but this is because they can't get the camera car near enough!

sheffield hatter
13-02-2014, 22:01
Looks like an interesting crawl, and if I can get Wednesday off next week I'll see if I can join you.

Even if I could have got Wednesday off, I'd have had to start work at crack of dawn the next morning, so this was a bit of a non-starter for me. Sorry!

Al 10000
16-02-2014, 18:44
Even if I could have got Wednesday off, I'd have had to start work at crack of dawn the next morning, so this was a bit of a non-starter for me. Sorry!

Thanks for letting me know Will.

We may yet meet up some time in the warmer months for the crawl round Hoyland and area.

sheffield hatter
16-02-2014, 22:38
We may yet meet up some time in the warmer months for the crawl round Hoyland and area.

Yes, looking forward to that! Have a good day on Wednesday.

Rex_Rattus
20-02-2014, 11:43
Good to meet up with you yesterday Alan, even if it was only for the last couple of pubs on your long list. After you pushed off to get your coach, I did walk down the road to visit the New Globe and The Victoria, as the latter had opened by the time I got there. Maybe meet up again sometime.

Bucking Fastard
23-02-2014, 23:06
Al,glad that you got into The Palm Tree,sounds like you enjoyed the visit.

Al 10000
24-02-2014, 16:32
Al,glad that you got into The Palm Tree,sounds like you enjoyed the visit.

Yes i did BF,

The landlord was a really nice bloke,i talked to him throughout my time in the pub,have a look at the photo i took of him posing outside the pub,i may send him a photo when i get round to getting my pictures printed out,it was also nice to finally meet meet a regular from the Pubs Galore forum,Rex travelled halfway across London to end up having two quick halfs with me,but it was still nice to put a face to a name.
My only dissapointment was the amount of pubs that did not open in time for me to do them,only 18 new pubs done,just not good enough.

Bucking Fastard
24-02-2014, 16:55
18 new pubs done,just not good enough.

You are a hard taskmaster.:notworthy: